Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Can I have a minute of your time" people

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭

I am s***e sick of those blasted clipboard people on the streets, usually in concern gear, who want a minute of my time when in reality they want my bank account details to sign me up to a ridiculous DD agreement. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ok, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No you can't/Will I ever get it back?/Yes you can, but I am still not giving you any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Would you not just tell them you are not interested..that's what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

R&R
    >>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Your only option is to kill them, now go OP, go now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

They're only trying to make a living... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

D e e wrote: »

Get 'er she's one of 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

So they're essentially high brow beggars?

NothingMan wrote: »
    Get 'er she's one of 'em!

Ah here, I'm just sticking up for the poor folk! They get abuse for doing their job. Sure it's annoying but don't make eye contact with them and keep walking and yiz will be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Ah here, I'm just sticking up for the poor folk! They get abuse for doing their job. Sure it's annoying but don't make eye contact with them and keep walking and yiz will be grand :)

If they're going to run after me ,tormenting me for bank details ,then yes abuse they will get

• Advertisement

If they're going to run after me ,tormenting me for bank details ,then yes abuse they will get

They don't really talk to you unless you make eye contact/stare at them, and if they do just say no and smile, not that hard! :)

If I want to make eye contact with someone walking down the street I will. Just because I do does not mean I am giving them an open invation to try and get my bank details etc. If they don't get the highly encrypted message in "No, I don't have a minute" they will be told to fcuk off!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

R&R
    >>>>>>>

I'd move it.....

but I can't

Doc B. Can you do the honours please.

Insurgent wrote: »
    If I want to make eye contact with someone walking down the street I will. Just because I do does not mean I am giving them an open invation to try and get my bank details etc. If they don't get the highly encrypted message in "No, I don't have a minute" they will be told to fcuk off!

But eye contact pretty much is an invitation to talk to someone, well continued eye contact. If you're in a club and like someone chances are you'll be making eye contact before one of ye approaches the other!
    Bit of a different situation but just say no and keep walking! I think the abuse is unfair, even though I understand it's annoying when it happens every day.

Bit of a different situation but just say no and keep walking! I think the abuse is unfair, even though I understand it's annoying when it happens every day.

Annoying is an understatement. Within the space of ten yards I had two of them accost me. The second even seen me walk pass the first!

Annoying is an understatement. Within the space of ten yards I had two of them accost me. The second even seen me walk pass the first!

Where's your Christmas spirit! Be nice!

(at least until the weather gets better, Theyre standing out there all day to earn a few bob when there's probably icicles hanging from their balls)

(at least until the weather gets better, Theyre standing out there all day to earn a few bob when there's probably icicles hanging from their balls)

If someone persists in walking down the street beside me trying to sign me up they are told where to go.

Granted all of them aren't like that.

Plenty of Christmas spirit here!!

In fairness I usually am nice. If they're lucky enough to make eye contact with my stunning baby blues I usually just give a cheeky "oh no you don't" smile and walk around them.

And when their back is turned I kick em in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

The ones I hate the most are the runners, we've all probably had an encounter with one, they see you 50 feet away and start moving towards you and then walk with you, I said no thank you now kindly bugger off before I walk down an alley and beat you with your clipboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

A simple "No, sorry I don't have time" would suffice. I hate when people are cúnts to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Tell them you already have a direct debit set up with the charity they are with.
    They know you're lying but they can't do anything but say 'oh right, well done & thanks' through gritted teeth.
    Works like a charm every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its not like I am rude to them but I hate when they say "all i want is to ask you some questions" and then at the end, they get annoyed because they spend time and won't get money from you.
    I had one once who wouldn't take a cash donation because it had to be bank account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

I've no problem giving to a charity like concern a few euro in coin if they ask.
    But why do they insist in trying to get peoples bank account details?
    I am NEVER going to give out my bank account details to some random charity collector on the street?
    Why cant they understand this?

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    I've no problem giving to a charity like concern a few euro in coin if they ask.

I have, I'd much rather give my money to a smaller charity where all the money goes towards the cause and not overheads and hefty wages.

I know concern do some good things and expenses and wages need to be paid but it just doesn't sit right with me that so much of the money is stripped out on the corporate side before reaching the places it's needed.

My sister goes to a town in Africa every year and raises as much as possible while paying her flights and expenses herself and does 2 or 3 projects over there like renovating a hostel or building a creche. She has literally rescued one baby with HIV herself and the kid is now doing great. I'll give her as much as I can every year over concern anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

They are pretty damn annoying.

Supposedly Concern pay them tastily by the hour to hound and pester people going about their daily duties. I've heard it's about €14 per hour. This could also be completely untrue. Take what you want from it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

If someone persists in walking down the street beside me trying to sign me up they are told where to go.

Granted all of them aren't like that.

Plenty of Christmas spirit here!!
    Ian Beale wrote: »
    The ones I hate the most are the runners, we've all probably had an encounter with one, they see you 50 feet away and start moving towards you and then walk with you, I said no thank you now kindly bugger off before I walk down an alley and beat you with your clipboard.

I've never had one of them walk with me or follow me. Just look them in the eye and say no loudly and clearly.
    Someone explained to me a long time ago that when dealing with salesmen of any kind that if you're not saying "NO" you're saying yes. Don't say "I haven't got time" or "I'm in a hurry" because they hear that as a maybe.
    Just say "NO" and walk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dcmraad

Stop, stare at them in your most loving smile, then start talking about jehovah.

dcmraad wrote: »
    Stop, stare at them in your most loving smile, then start talking about jehovah.

Get 'em, he said Jehovah!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The ones that follow you are annoying, but its the ones that try and corner you by blocking your path are the worst.. Even though you've said "No" or "not interested" or "I don't have the time" etc but still try to get you to stop anyway..

I usually just speed a little, drop the shoulder and if they haven't copped I'm not gonna stop, go through em rather than around them.. Luckily they have copped whats going on and stepped aside.. and I keep walking..

Advertisement