Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social etiquette that you can never figure out.

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I can never figure out condolences.

Obviously, if the person tells you it's easy - you just give them then and there.

But what if you don't see the person for a few months and then see them?
    Do you bring it up?

What if you meet them out on the town, in a club, pub etc?
    You don't want to wreck the buzz by bringing it up, but you don't want to act as if you never heard about it.

What is the aspect of social etiquette that troubles you most?

Oh, and telling if a girl likes me or not, but I think 50% of guys have that.
    The number of misses is irritating though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I can never figure out condolences.

Obviously, if the person tells you it's easy - you just give them then and there.

But what if you don't see the person for a few months and then see them?
    Do you bring it up?

What if you meet them out on the town, in a club, pub etc?
    You don't want to wreck the buzz by bringing it up, but you don't want to act as if you never heard about it.

What is the aspect of social etiquette that troubles you most?

Oh, and telling if a girl likes me or not, but I think 50% of guys have that.
    The number of misses is irritating though.

I find that just punching people in the face sorts all that out, but thats just me, it may not work for other people;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

My condolences on your thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Do I sit up front or in the back of a taxi if i am the only passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Like Michael McIntyre says. I don't know how to greet a woman if she turns up with friends. Does one shake hands, kiss or do a silly wave. It's all terribly confusing sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Just get it out of the way. Say "Sorry to hear about xxxx..." and then change the conversation. Most people don't want to talk about it anyway but will respect you if you give your condolances alot more than if you didn't.

• Advertisement

Like Michael McIntyre says. I don't know how to greet a woman if she turns up with friends. Does one shake hands, kiss or do a silly wave. It's all terribly confusing sometimes :D

You drop the hand immediately, everybody knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Is it rude to fart and then look disgustedly at the person beside you to make it seem like it's their fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Do I sit up front or in the back of a taxi if i am the only passenger?

My preference is for the front anyway, so I always sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Apparently I'm not good at being social in general. Dunno what it is. I've been told I'm really quiet when I've just been like am you're at my house, we're friends, we're watching tv, we're just hangin out, I don't need to be your entertainment... :rolleyes:

but then maybe I just don't know all that many people on the same wavelength as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

ah... thanks whores..... NO....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Teaching children to respect their elders.

They should be taught the treat them the same way they are treated cos most old people are horrible.

Turtyturd wrote: »

They should be taught the treat them the same way they are treated cos most old people are horrible.

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Degag wrote: »
    Just get it out of the way. Say "Sorry to hear about xxxx..." and then change the conversation. Most people don't want to talk about it anyway but will respect you if you give your condolances alot more than if you didn't.

+ 1000000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'm not very good at any social situation so I just try to avoid people as much as is humanly possible.

I'm not very good at any social situation so I just try to avoid people as much as is humanly possible.

You're not missing much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

The sticking out your little finger when drinking tea thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

When you're walking down the street, is it weird to make eye contact with everyone pass, or weird to avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

My preference is for the front anyway, so I always sit there.

It's much easier for the taxi driver when he pulls out his gun to put it to the side of your head but then again, if you sit in the back the child locks get you. It's a lose lose etiquette situation. :(

Feeona wrote: »
    Is it rude to fart and then look disgustedly at the person beside you to make it seem like it's their fault?

If it's just you and the other person. then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I never know what to say to a recently deflowered virgin.
    Congratulate, commiserate or make a joke when she tells you she's lost it.
    'Leave it on the bus ?' I just don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People that spit when they talk. I wish I could tell them to stop spitting on me but I'd be too embarassed.

When someone knows me and starts a conversation but I have no idea who they are I wish I could just ask them how they know me but I never do.

No idea why that posted twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

finding somthing to talk about with somone that you have nothing in common with.....

usually results in talks about the weather, tv programs or traffic, or on some occassions stories involving somone you both know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Is it rude to flip people off people staring at me on other buses.

Mousey- wrote: »
    finding somthing to talk about with somone that you have nothing in common with.....

usually results in talks about the weather, tv programs or traffic, or on some occassions stories involving somone you both know.

Just do what i do and start whistling, hopefully they know the tune and will then join in

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Standing in a lift with a stranger....... do you talk? Do you not? Do you look them in the eye?

Also, if I fart, how hard would it be to convince them it wasn't me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Mousey- wrote: »

Yeah, I've never been good at random banter either - I need something to talk about.

Is it rude to flip people off people staring at me on other buses.

Or the ones on the same bus who read ur book/paper/text messages over your shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This thread was made for me. Im the most socially awkward man of all time. Think Mark Corrigan from Peep Show only a version of him that tries to be more like Jeremy. Needless to say I fail miserably.

I hate meeting people I've only met once or twice and briefly at that when I walk through college. If I acknowledge them and they dont recognize me then I look like a creep. If I dont and they recognize me then I look like a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Turtyturd wrote: »

+ 1

Almost all the old people i know are grade A Assholes. I imagine it must have something to do with their values-what was life like in ireland in the 1950's for example? The only thing i can think of is a few scenes from Angelas Ashes.

Advertisement