Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the fuss about Mad Men?

• 21-12-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Mad men, any good ? Thinking of buying the boxset.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Personally.. I've tried to watch it 3 times and given up before the end of the first season.

I know plenty of people love it.. and it's acclaimed and all that, but it's clearly just not for me.

There's only so much slow-burning drama I can take.

What other shows do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

basquille wrote: »
    Personally.. I've tried to watch it 3 times and given up before the end of the first season.

I know plenty of people love it.. and it's acclaimed and all that, but it's clearly just not for me.

The sopranos, the wire, band of brothers, the pacific, hated the shield. Prison break 1st season..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you are looking for something spectacular, Homicide: Life on the Streets is the one to get. 7 seasons and cheap at the moment in the larger retail stores.
    It's from the creators of The Wire and was filmed in the early to mid 90's.

As Basq said, Mad Men is slow and takes a bit of dedication.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mad Men is the best show on television right now as far as I'm concerned. Fourth season was brilliant and really shook up what could have become a tired formula. I can't wait for the 5th season.

Give the first season a go. I was hooked from mid-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

The attention to detail is what makes it. Quality stamped all over it. Oozes style.

Slow burner alright but once you get into it, it suddenly becomes your favourite show. Took a good 5 episodes to get into myself so give it a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a damn sight better than The Wire anyway, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's a damn sight better than The Wire anyway, that's for sure.
    Oh my...

They are coming...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mad Men is a total delight if you appreciate the texture of the series, its as much about the art and costume design and photography/lighting as it is about the people.

Sadly the baxtards at SKY have got their grubby mits on it, so its box sets from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

It's not good it's great.
    You cant compare it to the wire, It's a completely different kind of show.
    I love it - and it has the most intersting lead character since Tony Soprano

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Thanks everyone so Homicide: Life on the Streets, madmen, that should keep me going. Hard to top the sopranos and the wire tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Only started watching it a few weeks ago and i'm now mid way through the second season. It's an excellent piece of period drama, you really get a feel for the era, it's fashions and the differing attitudes, especially towards women. The main character is fascinating and complex, good looking and likable but with serious flaws. The story is very slow with not much of a central arc, it's more a character study than a story. If you like slow burning dramas with top notch acting and well written characters but perhaps lacking in the excitement of some of it's contemporaries it's well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

i bought the first few seasons a couple of months ago.

i watched for first 3 episodes the night i bought it but haven't watched it since. its not compelling viewing. i've paid for it so i will watch them at some point. fingers crossed it gets better.

watching empire boardwalk at the moment. quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

telekon wrote: »
    The attention to detail is what makes it. Quality stamped all over it. Oozes style.

Slow burner alright but once you get into it, it suddenly becomes your favourite show. Took a good 5 episodes to get into myself so give it a chance.
    Agree that the combination of attention to detail and great acting make it quite compelling. IMHO it's the best series I've seen in years.

Personally I found that I got into it quickly - many of the first few episodes are quite self-contained. It's only towards the end of the first season that larger story arcs come in to play - and as Sink says it's more of a developing character study than well-defined plotlines.

OP as with any series, I'd recommend buying/renting/borrowing the box set and watching them in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Have to agree. I got through the first season, and half way through the second season and had to ask myself why am I bothering? I was waiting for it to pick up and for something good to happen. Was much to slow paced for my liking.

That said, many people love the series and has a huge following.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Exactly the same for me. I can see why people would like it, but I just can't stay into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Mad men is most certainly an aquired taste if your bread and butter is the likes of the propulsively entertaining Shield(awsome show), but if the slow burn of the Wire is more your thing you will likely take to Mad Men easier.

I wasn't all that impressed initially and just about persevered to the end of the first season before dropping it , it wasn't till I impulse bought and watched the blueray boxset of the first 3 seasons a few months ago that it really clicked for me how nuanced it was and how ****ing hilarious Roger Sterling is .

It's one of my fave shows now .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Mad Men is excellent. I always wondered what the draw was myself and only recent months got watching it all the way through and got hooked by halfway through season 1. I bought a friend the 3 season box set and he finished season 1 in 3 days.

It's a show you can't describe why it's good. It's just a good drama, great characters, it's funny and wonderfully shot. There are no epic twists or anything like that but it does make you think at times that it'll go one direction, and then go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

Im a big fan of mad men.

I found when I first watched it that I liked it but did not know why. Then with the third series it starts to get really good and the fourth series is great.

The first two series really just set up the characters and the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Mad men is most certainly an aquired taste if your bread and butter is the likes of the propulsively entertaining Shield(awsome show), but if the slow burn of the Wire is more your thing you will likely take to Mad Men easier.

I wasn't all that impressed initially and just about persevered to the end of the first season before dropping it , it wasn't till I impulse bought and watched the blueray boxset of the first 3 seasons a few months ago that it really clicked for me how nuanced it was and how ****ing hilarious Roger Sterling is .

It's one of my fave shows now .
    I think it's all about the characters. Roger & Pete are my favourites. I can't take to the Betty character, but I can understand why when I watched series 4. And who could not love Joanie?

It's worth buying the box set, you'll want to watch this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Hi Guys, I watch a bit of TV but I love nothing more than to purchase a good boxset that I can look forward to watching in the evening after a hard day in the office.

I've heard people at work talk about Mad Men but I have never seen an episode of it myself. I'd love to hear the views of fans and people who have actually seen it, I believe it has been around a few years. Cheers!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jighooligan

Its just a fantastic show, plain and simple. While at the beginning it may seem like a slow burner, looking back after watching the 4 seasons its just so well done. The writing and acting is flawless, every character has depth and no episode is filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Style, style, style.

Its just plain gorgeous to look at, acting is top notch and the lack of political correctness is so refreshing.

Starts off slow so make sure to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I think its a load of rubbish.

Short description of the program; Set in the 60's, a few men & some very attractive women walk around in 60's style clothing in a 60's style office building smoking cigarettes & have sex with eachother a lot. Theres a particularly attractive red haired woman in it. ....ah???...its set in the 60's?

Its basically an american costume drama.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think its a load of rubbish.
    You're just wrong :)
    Short description of the program; Set in the 60's, a few men & some very attractive women walk around in 60's style clothing in a 60's style office building smoking cigarettes & have sex with eachother a lot. Theres a particularly attractive red haired woman in it. ....ah???...its set in the 60's?
    You can give flippant descriptions of many shows though. Example:
    'The Wire': Set in the '00s, a few men (and some women) sit around and listen to other people's conversations. When they're not allowed they talk to some other people about how they should be allowed to listen to these conversations because it will stop these people doing things.
    Its basically an american costume drama.
    It's a strongly character driven show. It's not so much about plot twists, or anything like that, but how these people change both due to the events of the time (hence the '60s as it's a rich cultural era in the US) and how they interact.
    It's a sublime program - looks great and acted impeccably and has some of the most intricate characters on TV today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

ixoy wrote: »
    You're just wrong :)

You can give flippant descriptions of many shows though. Example:
    'The Wire': Set in the '00s, a few men (and some women) sit around and listen to other people's conversations. When they're not allowed they talk to some other people about how they should be allowed to listen to these conversations because it will stop these people doing things.

It's a strongly character driven show. It's not so much about plot twists, or anything like that, but how these people change both due to the events of the time (hence the '60s as it's a rich cultural era in the US) and how they interact.
    It's a sublime program - looks great and acted impeccably and has some of the most intricate characters on TV today.

Its more of a chicks program.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

been meaning to watch this*, its seems a lot of people have picked it up year on year,

from what i understand its a drama series, following interaction between people working together, and a bit of home life 60s style, it suppose to be a pretty acurate representation of the time, + a lot of drama,

damn i wanna watch it now, but dont have the time:D

*for a really long time

• Registered Users Posts: 14 djc1616

I've started watching season 4 in the last week after having watched seasons 1-3 boxset in a short period. I too thought it was slow and pointless at first, but it does become better and I think the main character is excellent. He manages to be the main character, yet say less than any other regular character.
    To be honest, it's not up there with The Wire or the Sopranos but I don't expect anything to be for a while.
    I'd recommend it anyway, enjoyable and well-written.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quite simply, it's the most thematically complex TV show at the moment. Nothing else - or at least, nothing I've seen yet, please feel free to direct me :) - on right now has the same powerful storytelling Mad Men manages week after week. It's the way each of the subplots in each episode interplay with each other to illustrate differing sides of that week's theme. It's the way that when you question the show's direction you realise in hindsight that it all slotted in perfectly to the overall season vision. It's the way the characters have interacted and grown over four seasons. It's how awesome Peggy Olsen is. And, of course, the setting is so wonderfully realised, and not merely a backdrop: the 60s are an integral part to the show. With our contemporary knowledge of what things were like then compared to what they are now, it's fascinating to see how the writers continually wring insight out of the setting. The consistently strong female characters are fighting against inequality and rampant sexism. The males are battling alcoholism, health risks, and frequent disruptions to their comfortable lifestyles. And yet the show never rubs this stuff in, instead happy to take alternate takes on these well worn issues.

Mostly, though, it's the characters, and how engaging pretty much everyone of them is. Don is the vocal point but often not even the most interesting (although I loved the directions they took him in during the last series): it's the likes of Peggy, Roger, Jane, Sally (rarely has a child character been so endlessly complicated) and the others who inject this show with life. Without them, it wouldn't be so hypnotic. I just can't miss a week of Mad Men because it means missing the small character moments that stick with you in this show. The central narrative is sometimes flawed - the early seasons particularly tended to dip into soap opera territory to resolve some plots, which was occasionally disappointing - but everything else about this show is wonderful. It's fun just being spending time in Sterling Cooper. It's TV that that is of constantly high standard, with a relaxed pacing and willing to take its damn time. And it's what makes it so engaging. TBH I was pretty much hooked from the first episode, but I can see this pace frustrating some: it truly is worth sticking with because the most recent series is addictive television with a stupidly high standard from week to week. In the absence of the Wire, I'd have little reluctance saying it is the best thing on television at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

its just amazing...

The girls are fab, especially joan and betty.

I wish I worked there... smoking and drinking ALL DAY!

Bliss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

Its more of a chicks program.

too true it just screams "greys anatomy"..."sex and the city"..."all saints"..."ashes to ashes" and "house".

They all have a certain crushing bordem about them that really makes you feel "I REALLY WONT EVER GET THIS TIME BACK WILL I?"

But thats a good thing cause it makes me change channel and watch family guy...

Advertisement