Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapelectronics.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lack of postal address, delivery info means it's hard to trust you which translates into poor confidence in doing business with you. The general advice for consumer sites is not to order off sites if there's no postal address.

Also your email address is cheapelectronics@ireland.com. info@cheapelectronics.ie would look more professional.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The large font looks very "cheap" in itself. I would really consider making the font smaller for each item. Also, maybe consider a menu bar at the top or side that is permanent on every page. It makes it easier for the consumer to maneuver around.

When you look at groups, e.g. http://cheapelectronics.ie/products/digital-camcorders/ the middle section is slightly off to the side. I would consider having two overlapping divs instead of a table inside a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

thanks for the input. I'm no professional web designer, and I spent ages designing this site. I tried to make it fit for small browsers (eg. netbooks) but not look tiny when viewed on a large resolution hence the large fonts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Sorry to sound harsh, but I would never order anything off a site that looks like that. There's nothing to instill trust and confidence in your service. If I am buying something online, I want to see;
    • A postal address and a phone number for the company
    • Strong modern design
    • Good layout,
    • Reviews/feedback about the products
    • Customer service information/returns policy etc

Your site doesn't have any of this, so if I'm considering any of those products I'll just close tab on yours and buy from the sites that appear more trustworthy.

There is no navigation menu on the Home screen. The Home screen should introduce the layout of the site to a new visitor so they are comfortable in navigating the site from there on in.

The logo looks tacky (sorry). The Green/White/Orange to show it's Irish just doesn't appeal to todays audience.

The icons on the navigation menu look 20 years old.

Your site is called 'cheap electronics'...The design makes them look just that, cheap. You need to communicate that they are high quality products at lower prices.

You have a minimal amount of information on every product. I want to see specs, official/amateur reviews, multiple pictures, video reviews etc when buying electronics.

Having Google ads running on the site make it look cheap and confusing. Especially when the Google ads are putting up links for 'camcorders dvd players' or whatever else. People can easily get confused as to what products are on your site and what are not. Unless your ad revenue is more important than your sales revenue, ditch the ads or at least get some distinctly external-linking ones.

You said above that you want the site to look good on netbooks. What % of your visitors will be using netbooks? Are you certain that it is worth sacrificing so many design elements to make their user experience better? ie, I would understand if netbook users accounted for 50%+ of your traffic, but what if it's only 5%?

If you are serious about the site you should consider a professional redesign. If you invest a bit in to it and make it look sleek and modern, your conversion rates will be many times higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with everything Cianos has said above (great feedback, take it on board).
    Cianos wrote:
    The logo looks tacky (sorry). The Green/White/Orange to show it's Irish just doesn't appeal to todays audience.

Your site is called 'cheap electronics'...The design makes them look just that, cheap. You need to communicate that they are high quality products at lower prices.

You need to rebrand it. That name & domain tell the wrong story.

Cheap is a word that works well for some folks but not for others. Ryanair use it well, but it works for them in part because a flight is a finite product of no value afterwards, and their customers accept in advance that the experience will be unpleasant.

On the other hand, electronics should be of use to the consumer for at least a couple of years after the purchase. http://www.qualityelectronics.ie/ is free at the moment, that's far more appealing to the consumer. You can still highlight the value aspect. Even ValueElectronics.ie is better than "cheap".

Edit: it's also a table-based design, you should be using CSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

56 quid for a no name 16gb memory card? I can get a Kingston Branded one for £20 posted from mymemory.com. Perhaps expensiveelectronics.ie would be better.

And you want to check out distance selling regulations. A customer can return a good within 7 days for a full refund without reason, yet this is in your terms and conditions:
    It's the customer's job to research and choose the correct product.
    if you've bought a product from us and you believe it's faulty, please email cheapelectronics@ireland.com within 1 month of purchase. Product will be returned to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This may take several weeks. In the event that a replacement is unavailable, you will recieve store credit equivalent to the value of the faulty goods. No cash refunds will be given.

You strike me as a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Trojan wrote: »
    ValueElectronics.ie is better than "cheap".

Infinitely better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

valueelec.jpg

and all while eating an apple - some typos in my feedback and a whole lot of design enhancements needed but this will start you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Too large, too cheapo looking and some things look like you bought em wholesale direct from china.
    Paypal option to pay is needed, and prices for delivery under each item would clinch a sale for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

You website looks so-so. I think my site is a little better than yours. Here is my site: http://www.ndsgamezone.com/

If you want to learn something, I will be happy to teach you if i know.

By the way, why don't you use a free commercial web application that much better than yours. You can try mangeto or presta..

• Advertisement

BengaLover wrote: »
    Too large, too cheapo looking and some things look like you bought em wholesale direct from china.
    Paypal option to pay is needed, and prices for delivery under each item would clinch a sale for me.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. There is a PayPal option in fact its the only option, in 2011 I plan to put a lot more time into this site and make it into something more useful and profitable

egan007 wrote: »
    valueelec.jpg

and all while eating an apple - some typos in my feedback and a whole lot of design enhancements needed but this will start you

THANKS! Thats more than I needed... Im using this exact design.. Check back in a few days. LOL@ "frosty hills" .. It is quite chilly here actually

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

en.r4cart wrote: »
    You website looks so-so. I think my site is a little better than yours. Here is my site: http://www.ndsgamezone.com/

If you want to learn something, I will be happy to teach you if i know.

By the way, why don't you use a free commercial web application that much better than yours. You can try mangeto or presta..

Granted the site is better than crappyelectronics.ie. However, that font on your site is nothing short of horrific..

Far too many cowboys in web development. I have stopped taking the nice helpful approach with yous :P

Advertisement