Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterpark College

• 07-04-2009 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Im wondering if anyone has any information on the history of waterpark college in waterford. Im working on a wikipedia page for the school but i cant find any information on the school pre 1986 (maurice o'connor era). Any information would be apreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Tried the Library? I'm sure there'd be plenty of info there. Also there is a man called Frank Keegan who has been involved with the school for some time. He may be able to shed some light, though I don't have a contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Francis Xavier is the man you're looking for, although given that you're working on the Wikipedia page, I'm going to guess that you're a student there so he shouldn't be hard to reach!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is Francis still around the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I know this might sound strange, but call over to the college and talk to the people there and they I am sure will be able to help you out,....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭jmcc

Im wondering if anyone has any information on the history of waterpark college in waterford. Im working on a wikipedia page for the school but i cant find any information on the school pre 1986 (maurice o'connor era). Any information would be apreciated.
    Thanks
    The translation of the motto "Virtus Sola Nobilitat" is not the rather happy-clappy 'Virtue is its own Reward'. It is perhaps better translated as 'Virtue Alone Enobles'. This means a lot more than the trite "virtue is its own reward", especially when taken in the context of the time that Waterpark College was founded. From what I remember, the school colours were crimson, purple and black. I don't think that I've ever heard the purple colour described as "plum".

The Junior school used to be a fee paying school. It initially was part of the main school but moved out to the Dunmore Road in the early 1970s (or perhaps 1969). I'm not sure when it moved back in the main school grounds. There was a school annual published in the 1970s that had a lot of the school history.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Junior School became a national school in 2001 and was fee-paying up until then

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The Junior school used to be a fee paying school. It initially was part of the main school but moved out to the Dunmore Road in the early 1970s (or perhaps 1969). I'm not sure when it moved back in the main school grounds. There was a school annual published in the 1970s that had a lot of the school history.

Regards...jmcc[/quote]

Think it might have been 1969 as I remember i was in 1st babies with the dreaded Brother Lyne and his infamous stinger cane with the thorns still on it and that was in the old school on Park Road. From what I remember the Junior School was the Protestant bishops old house.

I definitely remember that i was in this new school in 2nd babies and am fairly sure it was Mrs Sharkey who taught us there.

I remember that year book as well and getting my photo taken in the front garden for it.

The gardens in the school were always spectacular and were kept by Willie and Nancy who lived in the gate lodge.

Threre was also a large orchard there that they converted into the palying field beside the main yard.

Have to say though I dont have that many happy memories of the place though.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Think it might have been 1969 as I remember i was in 1st babies with the dreaded Brother Lyne and his infamous stinger cane with the thorns still on it and that was in the old school on Park Road. From what I remember the Junior School was the Protestant bishops old house.
    Yep. Strange how tough it was back then and the starting age for school was four years of age.
    I definitely remember that i was in this new school in 2nd babies and am fairly sure it was Mrs Sharkey who taught us there.
    So you're old school Waterpark too. :) I think that Mrs Sharkey was teaching a later class then (4th standard?). It may have been a Mrs Morrisey (?) who was teaching Second Babies. I remember F.X Keegan teaching First Standard, Mrs O'Reilly teaching Second, Mrs Lynch teaching Third, F.X Keegan teaching Fourth, Brother McGrath teaching Fifth and Brother Leen teaching Sixth.
    The gardens in the school were always spectacular and were kept by Willie and Nancy who lived in the gate lodge.
    It was an amazing place for a school.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

My memories of Waterpark primary - in my recollection, it was a free school at the Cove. It was only when it moved to Park Road circa 1985 that it became fee paying.

I remember a Mrs. Cassidy teaching me at the Cove in second babies. She had a thick bota she kept behind the radiator. There was a lovely woman called Mrs McNamara who taught me in 1st class. I remember FX Keegan well. All the brothers are a bit of a blur.

Agree with what was said about the grounds. They really were fantastic, and I loved breaktime in the Orchard or up at the back in the big trees.

djsupreme wrote: »
    My memories of Waterpark primary - in my recollection, it was a free school at the Cove. It was only when it moved to Park Road circa 1985 that it became fee paying.
    Waterpark Junior school was always a fee paying school until it became a National School.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

djsupreme wrote: »

I remember a Mrs. Cassidy teaching me at the Cove in second babies. She had a thick bota she kept behind the radiator. There was a lovely woman called Mrs McNamara who taught me in 1st class. I remember FX Keegan well. All the brothers are a bit of a blur.

Agree with what was said about the grounds. They really were fantastic, and I loved breaktime in the Orchard or up at the back in the big trees.

jmcc is right it was a fee paying school until it moved down to the park. If I remember we were going into 5th class that September and both 5th & 6th class were in prefabs at the back of the monastary. I remember we had a hot teacher then Ann was her name but I can't remember her second name, she had black hair :P.

Yeah Those days in the Cove were good days, we had the orchard and the grounds at the front of the school with the conker trees :p. FX Keegan is still teaching religion down at the school so he could give some information regarding the history.

Maurice O'Connor was the principal then Tom Beecher took over. Maurice's famous line was "NOW BOYS". :D We also had Nuala, J.C., Rundell, Hooter, Buckley, and who could forget Tom Meehan, manys the student went to his office either for a doss or some help with their problems.

Those were the good old days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bolkie

Regards...jmcc

I remember that year book as well and getting my photo taken in the front garden for it.

Threre was also a large orchard there that they converted into the palying field beside the main yard.

Have to say though I dont have that many happy memories of the place though.[/QUOTE]
    Haha. Brings back memories! I was there from 1967 till 1975, and I do remember Brother Lyne and the others! Brother Lyne made you wear a dress if you were naughty. Mrs Kelly? Had her for two years...no wonder I ended up the way I did...:-). Wasn't it Keegan who taught you to write in Gothic style?

Haha. Brings back memories! I was there from 1967 till 1975, and I do remember Brother Lyne and the others! Brother Lyne made you wear a dress if you were naughty. Mrs Kelly? Had her for two years...no wonder I ended up the way I did...:-). Wasn't it Keegan who taught you to write in Gothic style?[/quote]

You're bang on there about Br Lyne. You'd be stood up on a chair and made stand there in front of the class - at 4 years of age- witnessed it a few times. Do you remember being lined up against the wall while he systematically gave everyone on it a belt of the stinger for getting a question wrong.

Keegan did teach us to write that way.

Dont remember Mrs Kelly tho'. You would have been 2 years ahead of me.

Haha. Brings back memories! I was there from 1967 till 1975, and I do remember Brother Lyne and the others! Brother Lyne made you wear a dress if you were naughty. Mrs Kelly? Had her for two years...no wonder I ended up the way I did...:-). Wasn't it Keegan who taught you to write in Gothic style?

You're bang on there about Br Lyne. You'd be stood up on a chair and made stand there in front of the class - at 4 years of age- witnessed it a few times. Do you remember being lined up against the wall while he systematically gave everyone on it a belt of the stinger for getting a question wrong.

Keegan did teach us to write that way.

Dont remember Mrs Kelly tho'. You would have been 2 years ahead of me.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Here I am in Holland remembering times almost 40 years ago. You're right, there was no Mrs Kelly. It was Mrs O Reilly. Got mixed up because Mrs O Reilly's "pet" was David Kelly (sorry David!). I had her for 2 years in a row for some reason. Br Lyne was someone I'll never forget indeed. I remember the first few days as if it were yesterday. Always remember that Sammy (Kelly?) was the first victim. A bit traumatic for a 4 year old. I liked Keegan though. Do you remember Br. McGrath? His brother played for the Republic of Ireland Soccer team. Who was the head teacher then? Always remember having to go to him once when I forgot to do my homework (and lied about it). I got two slaps on my hand with a very thick piece of leather.

no bolkie it was thrasher tracy whose brother played for ireland - ray tracy, thrasher was the head so it war probably him that whacked you. Mcgrath or maygray as he was known taught 5th and was also the rugby coach....he was a bit odd as well. By the sound of it you were a year ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

and who could forget Tom Meehan, manys the student went to his office either for a doss or some help with their problems.
    Lovely chap. Carberry had big shoes to fill.

no bolkie it was thrasher tracy whose brother played for ireland - ray tracy, thrasher was the head so it war probably him that whacked you. Mcgrath or maygray as he was known taught 5th and was also the rugby coach....he was a bit odd as well. By the sound of it you were a year ahead of me

Of course Jimbo, you're right, it was Tracy. I remember he went with a lot of pupils to see a match in Dublin (I didn't go, can't remember why). You wrote about the gardens behind the school, they were brilliant. Wasn't the orchard turned into a playing ground at the back of the school? Remember playing in the school soccer team. Years later when I visited Ireland I went to see the school but it had moved to the main school (where my brothers were then). The front gardens were large weren't they with the driveway? After school I would always walk or take a bus to Bridge Street where my Grandmothers had a newsagent. From others threads I understood that Keegan is still teaching? Is that correct? Thanks for all your replies. :-)

Bolkie wrote: »
    Of course Jimbo, you're right, it was Tracy. I remember he went with a lot of pupils to see a match in Dublin (I didn't go, can't remember why). You wrote about the gardens behind the school, they were brilliant. Wasn't the orchard turned into a playing ground at the back of the school? Remember playing in the school soccer team. Years later when I visited Ireland I went to see the school but it had moved to the main school (where my brothers were then). The front gardens were large weren't they with the driveway? After school I would always walk or take a bus to Bridge Street where my Grandmothers had a newsagent. From others threads I understood that Keegan is still teaching? Is that correct? Thanks for all your replies. :-)

Jaysus i played on one of those teams - know most of the lads you talk about- p.m. me and i'll fiil you in on ID

Lovely chap.

I know plenty who have a different view of the chap you are referring to

Jaysus i played on one of those teams - know most of the lads you talk about- p.m. me and i'll fiil you in on ID

Hi Jimbo,

Did you receive a PM from me? Sent a message but nothing in my sent messages box!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 David Quane

I went to Waterpark College from 1966-1974(I think) I remember going to the main school amd then the primary moved to Dunmore Road across from the "The Cove Store". I remember the following teachers Br.Lyne with his bottle "islassa", Mrs O'Really/ Mrs Red. Mrs Sharkey, Sir Keegan, Br. Mcgrath, and the worst teacher of all Br. Tracey. Man was he visious and mean. His brother is Ray Tracey, who played soccer for Rep. of Ireland. Some of the guys I went to school was Peter Brophy, Ronan Mulligan, Colm O'Connor, Terry Murphy, Richard Morrrisey. Anyone know where Bernard Phelan is??? Last I heard he was in Australia???? I miss Waterford please reply.....David Quane

I went to Waterpark College from 1966-1974(I think) I remember going to the main school amd then the primary moved to Dunmore Road across from the "The Cove Store". I remember the following teachers Br.Lyne with his bottle "islassa", Mrs O'Really/ Mrs Red. Mrs Sharkey, Sir Keegan, Br. Mcgrath, and the worst teacher of all Br. Tracey. Man was he visious and mean. His brother is Ray Tracey, who played soccer for Rep. of Ireland. Some of the guys I went to school was Peter Brophy, Ronan Mulligan, Colm O'Connor, Terry Murphy, Richard Morrrisey. Anyone know where Bernard Phelan is??? Last I heard he was in Australia???? I miss Waterford please reply.....David Quane

Jeepers David, you were a few years ahead of me. For some reason or another Peter Brophy does ring a bell. I was at Waterpark from the babies until the last year of primary school (1975). I remember all the teachers you mentioned. I remember that Mrs O Reilly was an awful teacher to have (or was is Mrs Sharkey). Yeah, Tracey was vicious alright, I remember his brother played for Ireland. Do you remember Brother Lyne? Jimbojazz does..he was the teacher in the babies.
    Marcus Bakker (mothers side of the family Murphy, from Murphy Engineers, Bridge street).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭trevm

Bolkie wrote: »
    Jeepers David, you were a few years ahead of me. For some reason or another Peter Brophy does ring a bell. I was at Waterpark from the babies until the last year of primary school (1975). I remember all the teachers you mentioned. I remember that Mrs O Reilly was an awful teacher to have (or was is Mrs Sharkey). Yeah, Tracey was vicious alright, I remember his brother played for Ireland. Do you remember Brother Lyne? Jimbojazz does..he was the teacher in the babies.
    Marcus Bakker (mothers side of the family Murphy, from Murphy Engineers, Bridge street).

It was Mrs sharkey was the aweful one i had her! Mrs O Reilly was nice she died there 3 years ago

Some of the guys I went to school was Peter Brophy, Ronan Mulligan, Colm O'Connor, Terry Murphy, Richard Morrrisey. Anyone know where Bernard Phelan is???
    I think I remember Peter Brophy and Ronan Mulligan but they were all a few years ahead of me.

Regards...jmcc

trevm wrote: »
    It was Mrs sharkey was the aweful one i had her! Mrs O Reilly was nice she died there 3 years ago

Thanks! Sad to hear Mrs O reilly died. Yep, Mrs Sharkey was aweful. I had her two years in a row for some reason or another I think. One of her expert tortures was to slap your hand with the ruler edge, instead of just flat. No wonder I turned into a psychopathic murderer...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnbo

Marcus Bakker!

John Bowe here in Sydney, Australia......

Funny to stumble on this unintentionally, as i searched for Francis Xavier Keegan online! I remember a Past Pupils Union dinner down at the Tower Hotel about 20 years ago. I brought my Dad along (who has sinced passed away) , who was also a past pupil (Jack Bowe) and I still get a chill up my spine when I remember 'Sir" Keegan at the head table. He got up and simply said 'BOYS!" while raising his two hands to have us all stand up. And I mean a 30 year generation gap between the youngest there (Peter Molloy and myself) and the oldest....and we all sang Jerusalem word and not perfect!,as if we had only sung it a few days prior!

David Kelly (Mrs O'Reillys pet!) lives here in Sydney too, along with Aden Walsh, and his sister Bets Walsh. I have only contacted David recently, but we haven't met up yet. Michael Deevy lives in Bermuda...

Bizarre to suddenly remember heading over to the Apple orchard (Voglers?) with you in Newrath!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Choolo

I was in Waterpark Junior on the Dunmore Road 72-79. I'm glad, if that's the word, to see that my memories of Brother Lyne's revolutionary educational practices aren't all a product of my imagination. In my day he called the rows of desks the Castles, the Mansions, the Bungalows, and the Cottages. The kids who did well were in the Castles, the ones who struggled were in the Cottages. I don't remember him using a stick on kids ("the stinger" rings a bell, though), but he was very committed to humiliation. Even if he never did it to you, seeing it done to the others was enough to terrify you. He had a pink desk for the bad kids who didn't know their spelling or catechism or tables. He called it "the doo-dah desk". Now that I see it mentioned, I vaguely recall something about a dress, but I definitely remember a pink ribbon. I won't even go on, it gets worse. He ruined school for me until I was about 16, and I wasn't even one of his victims.

Senior Infants (2nd Babies) was a kind young woman who played the accordion, Miss Hutchinson. Kind, but too late to undo the trauma of Junior Infants. Mrs O'Reilly in 1st and 2nd, Miss Stapleton, former Rose of Tralee entrant, in 3rd, Mrs Cassidy (decent woman) in 4th, Mr (Sir) Keegan in 5th. Weekly Top Ten, harmonium in the corner, handing out liquorice, coaching rugby... I was a bit in awe of him, and he could be tough, but he did try to give kids confidence - everyone got a go at being number 1 in the Top Ten. And once, the whole class adopted an alsatian pup who we christened Ally: we kept him in the classroom for about a week. Maybe he belonged to one of the kids. Mr Keegan made out it we had to keep the dog secret from the Head, and for all I know he meant it. When a guy called Widger kicked a football through the class window, he made a joke of it and ran a fund-raising campaign to cover the repair - he called it the Widgery Window Collection, after the Bloody Sunday Widgery Report. He ran a boxing tournament at breaktimes in the Orchard. My handwriting is still influenced by his teaching. Great guy.

I remember a brother with glasses, who was either Brother Tracy or Brother McGrath, and later a Brother Leen. There was also a dude by the name of Brother Cross (not this guy).

The brothers of a couple of the people mentioned in this thread were in my class: Brophy, Bowe. And I remember the name Alan Quane, but I think that wasn't from Waterpark - maybe from my playgroup.

It was quite a building for a primary school: you can pick it up for 2.5 million at the moment. Some of these pictures bring back memories, especially the wrought-iron arcade where we used to play Free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnbo

Choolo

I am guessing you were in the same class as my brother Paul, or perhaps one of my many cousins, Tommy, David, Lawrence etc...!

For interest, I have posted a page on Facebook, with a Year 6 photo of my class from 1975, with Brother Tracey in the centre (with glasses!)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Waterpark-College-Year-6-1975/135669299825334

Have fun trying to remember the faces, or more difficult...the names!

Johnbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Choolo

johnbo,

Thanks for the photo. Those kids would have been well ahead of me: in 1975 I was in 1st going into 2nd. I remember Br. Tracey alright, now that I see him.

It was Carl Bowe who was in my class - is he a brother/cousin?

• Advertisement

johnbo wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Waterpark-College-Year-6-1975/135669299825334

Have fun trying to remember the faces, or more difficult...the names!
    Amazing how small people were back then. ;) Seriously though, the picture seems to be a bit small to make out the faces but it looks like one of those from that Waterpark annual that would have been published back then. (I think there was only one published but all the classes would have been in it along with contributions and essays from pupils.)

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement