Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

€598 all in
    Presumably with Balcas? What was quality like. I got 3 tons off them in November. Very dusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Also got three tonne from Balcas approx 2 months ago and a lot of dust in there too, pain in the rear.

Wouldn't mind, but the last time, I said it to the driver and he asked had I swept out the storage area since I started and I hadn't, so I did, so now I know the dust was in the delivery. I'll be having words methinks.

Otherwise though they ain't running too bad.

Incidently, anyone know where to get woodpecker spares for a reasonable price, ignition coils etc. and maybe an auger. No probs yet, just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Presumably with Balcas? What was quality like. I got 3 tons off them in November. Very dusty!

Yes indeed,haven't looked in to my storage box yet to be honest. Will open it up one of the days for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ninsaga

Its coming near that time again to order more pellets (bulk delivery).... my last delivery was Firestixx ...but they are more expensive than everyone else. Essentally you get 4 tonne for the price of 4.5tonne from Balcas,DPellet etc

Anyone got good/bad experiences with their pellets over the last few months with quality, moisture, dust, price, burning through them more than prev?

ninsaga

Lot of dust in my last Balcas delivery.

Waiting on my next, coming tomorrow and when I told them that there was a lot of dust, they said if it was the same again next time, they'd send out someone to have a look.

Quality is generally fine, but the dust is a pain in the butt.

Have an idea that they mave have used excess pressure when blowing them in last time.

• Advertisement

Cheers - are they still 210Euro/tonne?

Think I'm paying around €590 for 3 tonne, so that'd be just under 200/T.
    They've been the same or thereabouts for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

A tip that wood pellet makers wont want you to know
    I light my baxi in the evening after work and turn it off before I go to bed
    its on the higest temp setting and I just fill it enough for the evening the house stays warm enough til the next morning
    Spent under 300 euros on wood chip so far this winter

Pete M - looks like you are not including VAT - Balcas online incl. VAT = €210/tonne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

How many tonnes of pellets would I use as a very rough quide running about 12kw of rads in a 100sqm home that would be heated to 21 degrees all over. (Grandparents feel the cold) It will end up with reasonable insulation? Thanks.:) James

• Advertisement

Perhaps, not exactly sure about price, will have look later, just got the call from the driver, he'll be here at 7:45 :eek:

As for how many pellets you'd use for 21c in 100sqM, very rough estimate, depending on whether twas boiler/stove, what kind etc., no more than 6 T?
    That's like 2000L oil equivalent I think.
    And that would be plenty for it to be roasting, just like the auld folks like it.
    Would probably end up complaining about the heat, but that's what makes them happy I suppose....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Pete M. wrote: »
    Perhaps, not exactly sure about price, will have look later, just got the call from the driver, he'll be here at 7:45 :eek:

As for how many pellets you'd use for 21c in 100sqM, very rough estimate, depending on whether twas boiler/stove, what kind etc., no more than 6 T?
    That's like 2000L oil equivalent I think.
    And that would be plenty for it to be roasting, just like the auld folks like it.
    Would probably end up complaining about the heat, but that's what makes them happy I suppose....:)

Thanks for the reply. They do like it warm!!:) We have the same size house in Normandy France that we are selling to move to a bungalow for total renovation in County Kerry:cool:.
    To heat our French home we use a villager AHI woodburning stove with backboiler we use 700 euros worth of wood in our French home and use 20 cubic metres over 7 months. We used to use 2000-2500 litres of oil before we ripped out the 12 month old oil boiler! We heat 12 radiators.
    We think we are going to fit a parkray cumbria stove with backboiler to heat the rads and water in our house in County Kerry. It burns coal, smokeless and wood. we think 50 40kg bags of house coal would last us for the winter and cost about 700-800 euros. It would be great to burn pellets being a lot more green and more automatic but far more costly at 200 euros a tonne! Thanks James

Just got my three tonnes and they are currently €175/tonne plus VAT@13.5%, making my load cost €595.88.
    They don't appear too dusty yet..............

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Hi Pete. Who did you get the delivery from? Brites?

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Did anyone get a price for 3 ton of loose pellets this season or are they the same price as last season???

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Same price. My last delivery was less dusty but it took the driver twice as long to deliver the pellets, anybody want to guess why...

Appropriate Response: Because he was looking for a tip?

AH response: Your Ma....

lol, as I complained about the previous delivery and the amount of dust and fines, he blew the pellets in at reduced pressure. As for a tip; don't eat yellow snow...:D

aha!

Got loads if dust in mine last time :mad:

Reduced pressure, good tip (bleedin obvious though eh? self DOH...)

Balcas by any chance?

• Advertisement

Yes. I must add that I find them the only ones that can deliver up here in a reliable fashion. I tried other so called bulk suppliers but they want you as a customer to make sure that they can shift a full lorry load i.e. ring around on their behalf if there are any other takers...I don't htink so.

With Balcas I've always noticed a big difference between the new round body lorry and the box shaped one. With the box shaped one there always appears to be more dust and fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Got mine three weeks ago and was not here when delivered(first time in 4 years) Guess what? Had to clean out boiler twice, full of fines, usually only have to clean once every 6 weeks. Won't make that mistake again!

Again i must say that our Mescoli hopper and auger aren't really bothered with dust, the auger design (flat screw) brings up 90% of the dust and it gets burned with the pellets. The problem I have I suppose is that dust doesn't give me as much heat as pellets. My brother in law is still struggling with his Woodpecker set up. He has drilled holes in the bottom of the hopper to let the dust drop out but the auger still needs emptying on a regular basis, a real pain in the back side and clear proof that these early Woodpeckers were a very bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭offalyred

Balcas online to-day is quoting for 3 ton bulk delivery as follows Price: €594.00 VAT @13.5%: €80.19 Total: €674.19

I paid €794.50 (inc VAT) in Feb 2010 for 4 tonnes

This amounts to approx €26 per ton increase.

Are there alternative suppliers with good quality pellets?
    I live in the midlands.

Thanks lads

offalyred wrote: »
    Balcas online to-day is quoting for 3 ton bulk delivery as follows Price: €594.00 VAT @13.5%: €80.19 Total: €674.19

I paid €794.50 (inc VAT) in Feb 2010 for 4 tonnes

This amounts to approx €26 per ton increase.

Are there alternative suppliers with good quality pellets?
    I live in the midlands.

Thanks lads

Here we go now, this is the start of it, price creeping up. Out of curiosity what does the term used in recent posts, fines, mean ?

Afaik fines is a term used for small bits of broken down pellets, a lot courser then dust. If pellets have a hard landing you create quite a few "fines" i.e. breakage. Originally we had some of this happening untill I used an old mattress from a Cot to dampen the landing on delivery.

Just ordered 3 ton of Balcas for immediate delievry, whatever that means with these roads. Looks like the "thaw" might not last that long looking at the long range forecast...

Just had a look at receipt from previous pellet purchase in May, paid €595.88.

Just had a look at receipt from previous pellet purchase in May, paid €595.88.

I paid that for 3 ton in January as well

Biglad wrote: »
    I paid that for 3 ton in January as well

Piss ya off no end wouldn't it.

• Advertisement

Has anyone sourced any supplier cheaper than Balcas ?? Anyone use Harper/Crone's for supply ??

Kedco are doing 3 tonnes for €230 a tonne incl Vat & Del anywhere in ROI.

Advertisement