Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Ireland

Options
  • 05-12-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

If Brian Boru had not been killed and left king of Ireland without later interference from the British and other Irish kings do you think his family would still be in power in Ireland would we have a monarchy state or would they be like the British royal family and just a symbol of the sate.
    Would you support having a Irish royal family or be against it??

Ill put in a poll aswell for the hell of it :D

Would you support a Irish Royal Family 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 46 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sheamus is KING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

800 years without the usual machinations, assassinations and usurpations?

I doubt if Boru's family would still be in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

King Brian sounds so lame.
    Nearly as bad as king Ralph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

OP, school project due tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Kasabian wrote: »
    OP, school project due tomorrow?

haha not for some one who is studying business this is just random taught when I should be studying for exams :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A monarchy? Where the leader of the country just so happens to be born into the right family and thus being entitled to the heir of the throne? NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Even if Boru hadn't been killed the British would have eventually colonized Ireland. Think about it, they ruled a huge amount of the known world and were at 1 point the strongest empire worldwide. Colonies extending from America to India. I think it's safe to say at one point or another they certainly would have taken over Ireland, regardless who was in charge.

There is no way we could have ever properly resisted the British army, we could have certainly caused them some trouble like the war of independence, but we could definitely never have completely resisted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

A monarchy? Where the leader of the country just so happens to be born into the right family and thus being entitled to the heir of the throne? NO!

That pretty much goes on for TDs in a lot of constituencies

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

marry your way in if it bugs you lol. I would support it if it didint interfere with the government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sheamus is KING

All hail....Attachment not found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

No, never, not a chance. Would never support a system based purely on the idea that someone is automatically better than everyone else merely because of their lineage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

No. The idea of a monarchy disgusts me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pauleta wrote: »
    That pretty much goes on for TDs in a lot of constituencies

A TD's son is heir to his seat in the dail? I'm pretty sure they are elected in. It's not uncommon or wrong for a member of a TDs family to take a seat too, but, that has nothing to do with who his parents are. They are still voted in.
    Gunnerkid wrote: »
    marry your way in if it bugs you lol. I would support it if it didint interfere with the government

Why would you support it? What exactly is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

No because of the amount of hierarchy shíte thats attached to it.

A TD's son is heir to his seat in the dail? I'm pretty sure they are elected in. It's not uncommon or wrong for a member of a TDs family to take a seat too, but, that has nothing to do with who his parents are. They are still voted in.

Why would you support it? What exactly is the point?

well for one it would bring more tourism into the country, country could milk it like the english and make some serious money out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

No i would defiantly not. Could someone explain to me me the obsession of some irish people with the royal family .
    I remember when diana died my grandmother cried . I was very young at the time so didnt understand it fully but looking back on it i can see why she cried , the media painted her as some sort of hero which she was not as much as i despise the royal family i despise this kind of money grabbing bitch more. This phenomania is also seen in america among certain types of liberals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

No thanks. We've got rid of the kings and queens, next comes the bishops and before long the whole back row will be gone and us pawns will all be a lot better for it.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    No i would defiantly not. Could someone explain to me me the obsession of some irish people with the royal family .
    I remember when diana died my grandmother cried . I was very young at the time so didnt understand it fully but looking back on it i can see why she cried , the media painted her as some sort of hero which she was not as much as i despise the royal family i despise this kind of money grabbing bitch more. This phenomania is also seen in america among certain types of liberals.

hard to say while my opnion differs from yours people just seem to have this sense of fascination with royalty the same can be seen with celebrities, whith Ireland its just funny though we hated british rule but now seem to watch the every move of the british royal family, maybe it has something to do with Irish people letting grudges go and moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Parnell was the uncrowned king or Ireland, according to my history book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

There isn't a noble Irish person to be found.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    There isn't a noble Irish person to be found.

I think there is a few but I dont know if there recognised by the state, There is a family which own a huge manor and lots of land near to Limerick I think there O'Brien or McMahon not shure but I think they actually claim link to Brian Boru. Im not shure how accurate that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bono is already King of Ireland.

In his own head, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RMD wrote: »
    Even if Boru hadn't been killed the British would have eventually colonized Ireland. Think about it, they ruled a huge amount of the known world and were at 1 point the strongest empire worldwide. Colonies extending from America to India. I think it's safe to say at one point or another they certainly would have taken over Ireland, regardless who was in charge.

There is no way we could have ever properly resisted the British army, we could have certainly caused them some trouble like the war of independence, but we could definitely never have completely resisted them.

Well actually we invited them over here, we were not invaded. Even the Romans considered Hibernia to be too 'wild'. The British empire you refer to, was greatly helped by the huge contingent of Irishmen serving in the British Army at the time.The English new well enough that if the Irish clans ever united, they would have been fcuked out into the Irish Sea. So divide and conquer was the strategy employed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

There still are kings in some places - Clare Island's last rí passed away around a decade ago

efla wrote: »
    There still are kings in some places - Clare Island's last rí passed away around a decade ago

what was his family name Im pretty interested in this topic

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    hard to say while my opnion differs from yours people just seem to have this sense of fascination with royalty the same can be seen with celebrities, whith Ireland its just funny though we hated british rule but now seem to watch the every move of the british royal family, maybe it has something to do with Irish people letting grudges go and moving on
    I think it may have something to do with celebrity . I think the type of people who follow the going ons in the british royal family would do so whether we were at one stage ruled by them or not. I think most people who dislike the royal family do so because the disagree with the idea of un earned leadership , not because they carry any grudge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    I think most people who dislike the royal family do so because the disagree with the idea of un earned leadership , not because they carry any grudge
    I think not. The distaste for royalty around these parts is reserved solely for the British. Folk are largely indifferent to the other royal families of Europe.

lugha wrote: »
    I think not. The distaste for royalty around these parts is reserved solely for the British. Folk are largely indifferent to the other royal families of Europe.

There isnt as much distain for the british mp's so i dont think people dislike the because they are british. I think its the fact that they are by far the most prominent monarchy in the world is the reason people dislike them. They are the ones who are constantly in the press . Personally i couldnt name any royals from europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If Edward Bruce had succeeded in conquering Ireland we could be in a United Kingdom of Ireland and Scotland

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on whether you are referring to a British, European or Asian style of monarchy, all three types are very different.

Advertisement