Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

Getting sh!t on with snow here in Palmerstown! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 teresminor

snowing off and on in sandyford, most have been relatively heavy...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Originally Posted by Xxhaylsxx viewpost.gif
    Have just spent half an hour trying to get the postman off the drive. was well stuck

Is he Mr. Freeze by any chance...............sorry, I couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

Blizzard now near Lucan - stay at home unless you have to!

rsom wrote: »
    Do you think this house needs more insulation in their attic:confused:

That would be the waccy baccy grow room.;) he needs to get up there sharpish with a few cans of fake snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Here in Dundrum it's been varying mainly between light & heavy snow for the last couple of hours, some graupel & hail too.

I have a sneaky feeling there's a bit of a thaw on, the branches of the trees aren't holding the snow and even though there's been hours of snow the animal footprints on the lawn haven't been covered up.

Perhaps it's because we're at the warmest part of the day?

Also can't believe RTE News said things were going to get better over the next while when it's clear things will be far worse as the day goes on!! There seems far more snow today than yesterday, I find it hard to believe that the busses will keep running into the evening!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

No snow here in Waterford City today. Main roads are fine but roads in estates are still dangerous. A thaw on snow that is in direct sunlight.

Temp 0.6c DP -1.4c Sunny Spells

More Data and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

VIA RTE:

"The National Road Authority website includes real-time information on the road conditions of various routes on the national road network."

Link: http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Heavy snow in Malahide putting another couple of cm's on the ground atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Big change in the wind dir, seems to be almost northerly now, could mean the end of the snow for now or else it will push that Nth Dublin stream futher south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

What's that bright yellow thing in the sky?

It's hurting my eyes

the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Horsing it down in Donaghmede now. Large flake too

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭killyourtv_

in d22, woke up to about 5 inches of new snow and light(ish) flurries. decided to go to the shop and stock up on chocolate (as you do ;))

the amount of snow on the ground disguises the footpaths and no-one knew where they were. i however, found the foothpath by tripping over it and landing face first.

go away snow. you're so mean :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

flanzer wrote: »
    Horsing it down in Donaghmede now. Large flake too

And coastal D13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Was listening to Dublin Air Traffic Control last night, an aircraft was being diverted over the airport, (wasn't landing), but was flying over the airport:

Pilot: Any sign of the runway being re-opened within the hour?

Controller: Nope, still being cleared of snow I'm afraid, will be closed until at least midnight.

Pilot: Are you sure? The runway doesn't look to bad at all from here, (6,000 feet over the runway).

Controller: You wouldn't want to be landing on the roads we had to drive in on this evening!

Pilot: Eh ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Big change in the wind dir, seems to be almost northerly now, could mean the end of the snow for now or else it will push that Nth Dublin stream futher south.

That's just the surface winds. Upper winds should keep the showers coming in for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I know- thats what i meant- they contradict each other though they are meant to ahve the same forecast.

The weather forecast on RTE IS Met Eir, ie the weather forcesters you see are people from met eir, not RTE personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

wicklowdub wrote: »

Windsock says due north

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Those streamers that are hitting North Dublin right now seem to be coming from the Mourne Mountains direction? No?

Isle of Man is back in my good books too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Near Lucan and it's chucking it down again. My thermometer says -1.5. I would say that the roads are going to be even worse this evening then they were yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Snuggled up under the duvet with the dog, listening to Christmas FM and watching the blizzard here in Lucan.

Out of interest - would the current weather have had anything to do with that gas explosion in O'Connell Street, or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

just for those complaining regarding dublin airport, take your car out on the road accelerate to 180 miles an hour then brake within 2.3 kms.. :D now put some snow on the road and repeat..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

flanzer wrote: »
    Those streamers that are hitting North Dublin right now seem to be coming from the Mourne Mountains direction? No?

Isle of Man is back in my good books too!

Your dead right there I think, the cloud that is causing this very recent snowfall came down from a very northerly direction, I can kind of gauge the direction based on where my house is and where it is with respect to the Liffey, and as far as I can make out it came straight down from a northerly direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Yeah looks like the wind is due to change to north westerly and then westerly by this evening, Probably spells the end of the precip off the Irish Sea but there is some nice patterns above Donegal for overnight.
    image.ashx?ok=1&country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Snuggled up under the duvet with the dog, listening to Christmas FM and watching the blizzard here in Lucan.

Out of interest - would the current weather have had anything to do with that gas explosion in O'Connell Street, or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

yes indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Pilot: Any sign of the runway being re-opened within the hour?

Controller: Nope, still being cleared of snow I'm afraid, will be closed until at least midnight.

Pilot: Are you sure? The runway doesn't look to bad at all from here, (6,000 feet over the runway).

Controller: You wouldn't want to be landing on the roads we had to drive in on this evening!

Pilot: Eh ok!

Lol,

earlier on:

Pilot: How are you

Controller: I'll be better in an hours time when I'm out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

rsom wrote: »
    Do you think this house needs more insulation in their attic:confused:

Ahem (grass plants) ahem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wind has gone too NE and meath is now totally out of the snow streamers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowing here for a while now, not really sticking though, maybe it is on the snow cover have not checked, just a coating of slush on the cars, say inland are getting a cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Lovely big snowflakes here - very heavy too! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement