Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin students stage 'surprise conference'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jay D wrote: »
    Fair play to them I say. The more constant persistant exposure to this cúnt Gov, the better.

What always happens we forget about the crap that's done and it passes. We are a nation of cry babies, then when someone does something about anything lots begrudge.

Oh and how many people do you know now that have little more to talk about than the fúcking weather?

Irish attitudes :rolleyes:

Are those four seperate and unrelated statements or one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Are those four seperate and unrelated statements or one point?

Why don't you Google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,910 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Gardai are probably confused by the Marquee. Who brings a marquee to a firefight?

Sometimes the attitudes of posters here baffles me. This country is in a mess and when people actually try and do something about it, something that benefits not only their future, but that of people's siblings, children, cousins, people just dismiss it as, "they're only students".

Bollox. They're doing something worthwhile.

Any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Protesters?! Grrr, bring in the militareh.

Seriously, AH complaining about students shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Bloody students!
    They ought to bend over and take it up the ass just like their elders and betters.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

This isn't just another "student protest." The people involved in this apparently deliberately distanced themselves from the protest as usual crowd.

It is not just inarticulate sign waving. The objective, as I hear, is to open a national dialogue so as to engage a traditionally apathetic group with what is happening to the country they are going to be handed once they leave their studies. I believe there is a wider objective of provoking a genuine movement of politically engaged young people.

The operation demonstrates forward planning. There is an appropriate feel for the theatrical. The demonstration is manifestly peaceful, and is organized around a central idea of public speech. Civil servants and politicians were invited to address the students.

I suppose it's to be expected on AH, and likelihood is that many here aren't being entirely serious, but it should be seen as a positive thing that a group of young people whose lives are occupied with their studies consider themselves to have a prerogative for engaging in a constructive political action, so as to lay hold of their part of the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jay D wrote: »
    Why don't you Google it?

That makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Surprise cuntference is more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Fair play to them. Anyone who has not attended some kind of protest the last few weeks or done something to change things should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Students + snow = assholes. Grrr.

Agreed, cocaine can cause some funny reactions in people al right

20Cent wrote: »
    Fair play to them. Anyone who has not attended some kind of protest the last few weeks or done something to change things should be ashamed of themselves.

What have you changed by attending a protest? Or more importantly, what do you hope to change?

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    What have you changed by attending a protest? Or more importantly, what do you hope to change?

And this is why we have Fianna Fail in charge.

And this is why we have Fianna Fail in charge.

Was that an answer to my questions?

Was that an answer to my questions?

No.

But it is an example of the apathy that got us here.
    Then when people do something the smart ass remarks and negativity start.
    Loosing the will to live arguing with the "what has protesting ever achieved" brigade.

No.

Loosing the will to live arguing with the "what has protesting ever achieved" brigade.

I wasn't asking what protesting has achieved. I was asking what you specifically want to happen from current protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I wasn't asking what protesting has achieved. I was asking what you specifically want to happen from current protests.
    Well you could say that a barrage of protests, reported by the national and internation media, might frighten our government into not acting like completely inept morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I wonder did the people who criticise students protests go to college or are they just non college educated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

No.

Dodging questions just like a politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Seloth wrote: »
    Hmmmm...Interesting how its only the Dublin Colleges.

Cork University also had a political gathering today ...what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If only there was some massive protest in Dublin last weekend that would have shown this to be true......

"Massive"? There was only 50,000 at it. And some daft feckers cam on here and tried to bemoan it. I pretty much assume everyoen else who wasn't at work, sick or minding their kids is every happy with the way things are going...

Not me personally, but a few people here managed to get a wall torn down here 20 or so years ago.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not me personally, but a few people here managed to get a wall torn down here 20 or so years ago.

I wasn't talking about protesting in general, I was talking about that guy who said I should be ashamed of myself for not protesting and changing things. I asked him what he had changed, or what he hoped the protest would do apart from saying "down with Fianna Fail". It was a genuine question, which he hasn't answered yet.

What he hopes to change, I would imagine, is some form of admission from fianna fail, or some redirection of austerity measures in the budget, but I'm only guessing. Possibly letting those in power that he, amongst others, is pissed off. Beyond that, I'm not sure what your point is: protesting is pointless? In which case, I've proven that it isn't. Attending a protest is pointless? Same thing. Also, what, exactly, do you hope to achieve by NOT protesting? Other than giving FF the impression that you're happy with the status quo and they can carry on as they wish? If you're referring to that specific protest, then why exactly do you feel that it's pointless?

Well some austerity measures are necessary now. Perhaps there are different measures they could have used, which is why I asked for the reason he was protesting. Yes, this is largely Fianna Fail's fault, but they've said that there'll be a general election next year. I've no problem with someone protesting against Fianna Fail, but don't come on here saying that I should be ashamed of myself and pretend that you're changing the world.

How dare you compare me to a politician.
    I'm a movie director, I made two girls one cup.
    Do not associate me with that scum politicians.

How dare you compare me to a politician.
    I'm a movie director, I made two girls one cup.
    Do not associate me with that scum politicians.

You were robbed of an oscar that year.

Well some austerity measures are necessary now. Perhaps there are different measures they could have used, which is why I asked for the reason he was protesting. Yes, this is largely Fianna Fail's fault, but they've said that there'll be a general election next year. I've no problem with someone protesting against Fianna Fail, but don't come on here saying that I should be ashamed of myself and pretend that you're changing the world.

The comment was aimed at those who are doing nothing, just taking it wasn't directed at you personally. Unless of course you are doing nothing in which case you should be ashamed.

Didn't claim to be changing the world. I could list the protests and stuff I've done but would be pointless and like I said sick of the "protesting achieves nothing brigade".

In fairness, his point about apathy is accurate. Take for example...

People, in my opinion, have accepted this too easily without asking why. Most have accepted that it will happen, fair enough, but we seem to be trusting Fianna Fail to make fair and equal cuts, and that those responsibe will get away with it. Why?

Because of apathy. They get away with it because they know no one will stand up to them.

Before the general election, there shall be a budget. And three more months or so of Fianna Fail. They can still do a lot more damage.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    In fairness, his point about apathy is accurate. Take for example...

People, in my opinion, have accepted this too easily without asking why. Most have accepted that it will happen, fair enough, but we seem to be trusting Fianna Fail to make fair and equal cuts, and that those responsibe will get away with it. Why?

Because of apathy. They get away with it because they know no one will stand up to them.

Before the general election, there shall be a budget. And three more months or so of Fianna Fail. They can still do a lot more damage.

You're saying that we don't need to make cuts?

Advertisement