Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rush Killer Nimby Attack

Options
  • 27-11-2010 8:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/protesters-gather-in-dublin-to-protest-eirgrid-interconnector-483227.html

These are underground, hence shielded. Bet these people all have microwave ovens at home too :)
    Almost 150 protestors have gathered in Rush in north county Dublin to voice their opposition to Eirgrid's interconnector between Ireland and the UK.

The high voltage line electricity line, which has been granted permission by An Bord Pleanala, will come ashore at Rush and run underground along the road network to Co Meath.

Siggggh, and this next bit is just a tad silly, non ??
    There are links to childhood leukemia, miscarriage, Alzheimer's and all sorts of behavioral disorders are linked to the emissions from cables like that especially with that power and magnitude," she said.

These 'links' are suspected problems with overground HVAC cables, there is no link with underground HVDC though.
    "In some cases these (cables) are only two, three or four feet away from houses."

Ah c'mon willye.
    The company has sought injunctions against five members of Rush Community Council to stop them protesting,

I am that surprised. Has anyone told them that Nuclear Electricity will come from England across that cable ??? :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Brilliant! I even know a protester. And they wouldn't know a volt if it bit them in the ass. With all thats is going on in the country this really seems to reassure me that all is alive and well in "community spirit" Ireland and still blind to the stuff that "really" affects them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It's gas how you have one bunch of NIMBY's asking for cable to be underground as that would nullify any perceived health issues. While another bunch of NIMBY's are campaigning against underground cables :rolleyes:

Of course when Electricity prices go through the roof they'll be begging for more interconnection so that we can get cheaper British electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I propose a new law that bans all NIMBYs from protesting against infrastructure projects unless they agree to cease use of all services related to the projects they object to. So no more protests from this group of tards until ESB have cut the wires to their houses. The candlelight will give their protest a lovely atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

It's also worth noting that the project went through the full Planning Permission process, including a series of oral hearings, as well as a full EIS process. But it is only now that these 'issues' are arising.

People have a democratic right to protest and complain about developments that occur with any proximity to them, but the time and the place to do that is in the context of the consent process, not afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Aidan1 wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that the project went through the full Planning Permission process, including a series of oral hearings, as well as a full EIS process. But it is only now that these 'issues' are arising.

People have a democratic right to protest and complain about developments that occur with any proximity to them, but the time and the place to do that is in the context of the consent process, not afterwards.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen this with the Metro and Interconnector (way more objections now) and seemingly every other major infrastructure project seems to have this affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have an answer to NImbys - if it is gas they are protesting against, cut off their gas, if it is electricity generation/supply infrastructure, cut off their power and give them a box of matches - tough luck if they complained about gas AND electricity.

Waste incinerators: let them dispose of their household rubbish themselves, give them an idea on how to proceed by giving them a shovel and telling them 'you have a back yard - use it.'

And so on.

Advertisement