Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car acceleration problems

Options
  • 29-11-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Hoping somebody can help here. Have a Seat Leon 2008. Having problems when driving, at 1000-2000rpm, when I go to accelerate, I can put my foot to the floor I have no acceleration what so ever, when I lift my foot off and then press again, no problem. Obivously scared the living crap out of myself on the icy roads today. Does anybody know what the problem would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Maybe spare wheel is flat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

There's a thread there somewhere 'how to drive on icy roads'. Think you should read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scobyobrien

Spare wheel???, tyres all pumped up, car wants to slow down very quickly too I have found. Its pissing me off. Had nothing but trouble with this car from day one.

fj1200 wrote: »
    There's a thread there somewhere 'how to drive on icy roads'. Think you should read it.

All I can say was thank god for Colin Mcrae rally

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Its impossible to put a diagnoses for your car via forum wth the info you gave. Doctors are not able to run a surgery via phone either.

• Advertisement

MarkoC wrote: »
    Its impossible to put a diagnoses for your car via forum wth the info you gave. Doctors are not able to run a surgery via phone either.

Well, nothing would surprise me in this country to be honest. I'm thinking it could be an electornic sensor but like you said, it would be be impossible to diagnose. I tried to google it but older cars came up with problems of a fuel filter to a catalytic converter problem. So........anybody know a cheap out of work mechanic who could look at the job for me!!!!! Thanks anyway man, I will struggle on and improve my rally skills:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Hi guys,
    Hoping somebody can help here. Have a Seat Leon 2008. Having problems when driving, at 1000-2000rpm, when I go to accelerate, I can put my foot to the floor I have no acceleration what so ever, when I lift my foot off and then press again, no problem. Obivously scared the living crap out of myself on the icy roads today. Does anybody know what the problem would be?

Did it happen while driving on an icy road? If so, probably was your esp kicking in (thats if you car has an esp system)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Sounds like it's your ESP taking over or the car is going in to limp/crawl mode 'cause of a fault. Get a diagnostics ran on it and you'll find out.

Try taking off in 2nd gear. No need to be accelerating, let the biting point move the car.

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Sounds like it's your ESP taking over or the car is going in to limp/crawl mode 'cause of a fault. Get a diagnostics ran on it and you'll find out.

Try taking off in 2nd gear. No need to be accelerating, let the biting point move the car.

Cheers for that, it failed again this morning about 10 times and in case anybody else asks, I know the difference between icy roads and a car fault. Would it cost much to get a diagnostics test done does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have a similar problem ..... but mine tends to happen in 3rd going to 4th ...or 4th going to 5th gear.

I have a Ford Fiesta Diesel Van (1.8L) ... feels like its just not "clicking" into gear for me - but its in gear..... revs go up.... car(van) doesn't accellerate.....sometimes revs go up when static at trafficlights - so turn the engine off and on...and it sorts it.

(this was happening before the current cold spell - so nothing to do with icy conditions)

I was guessing its something to do with my gearbox - but I could be wrong.....its almost 8yrs old and 95K on the clock..... doesn't happen too often - which is why I havent had it checked out properly (I know I know - should get it checked anyway...will try get it done before christmas)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ignition coil causing lumpy accelleration?

Is the traction control light flashing on the dash when this happens? It will cut the power off completely at times. At least mine does anyway. Try the switch by the handbrake and see if it makes a difference.

EPM wrote: »
    Ignition coil causing lumpy accelleration?

Is the traction control light flashing on the dash when this happens? It will cut the power off completely at times. At least mine does anyway. Try the switch by the handbrake and see if it makes a difference.

It's not the traction control and its not the gears either. Sent a mail to Seat Ireland so will see what they say. Even with traction control on I have the problem and again this is before the icy weather, its a 2008 car and I'm so pissed off, nothing but trouble has it caused me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Hi guys,

It could be something like a dirty/faulty idle air control valve or air flow meter.
    I had similar symptoms on my car and it turned out to be air flow meter.
    They can cause symptoms like that, but they dont have to show a fault on diagnostics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What other trouble have you had? Is it long out of warranty? Has it a FSH?

Emailing Seat wont do anything but if it's not long out of warranty, has a full Seat history it might be worth asking your dealer to apply for a goodwill gesture from Seat for the fix, whatever it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What engine is it? I'd guess EPM is right with the coil pack, when they go it feels very much like you describe, a complete loss of power when you floor it, especially from low revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Symptoms in the OP sound very much like what was happening to my VRs 1.8T before a coil finally gave up. Would put the foot to the floor and get nothing at all, then the power would kick in.

Wouldn't surprise me if you get a flashing yellow engine symbol before long. Would surprise me if it's a diesel version though, in which case it's probably a dodgy EGR valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hi guys,

Check your rear lights OP. I had this problem with the OH's SEAT Ibiza and it turned out that the rear bulbs had blown and was causing the problem. Can't remember the reason (not mechanically minded at all! :o) but replacing the blown bulbs sorted it. IIRC it was the brake light bulbs that were blown. The SEAT mechanic at the time explained why this happens - can't remember exactly now but it's some sort of 'safety feature'! :confused:

EPM wrote: »
    What other trouble have you had? Is it long out of warranty? Has it a FSH?

Emailing Seat wont do anything but if it's not long out of warranty, has a full Seat history it might be worth asking your dealer to apply for a goodwill gesture from Seat for the fix, whatever it is.

The fuel injection system went in the first 6months, then 12 months after, warning lights appearing on the dashboard, turn off the car and turn it on again and they are gone.

I had a major problem with it this morning, parked the car in work today, took key out, closed door and went to lock the car and it wouldnt work. tried to start the car again but the key wouldnnt go into the ignition at all. Got it towed to a garage in Ringsend and he told me I would need a new barrell from Seat but it would take weeks to get in and cost several hundred euro........but, because he disconnect the battery, it must have reset the electronics as we had to calbrate the steering again.

Driving home this evening at 1,000rpm in 2/3 gear and 1,500rpm in 4th gear the accelerator never failed me once. I cant believe it. The mechanic worked on it for 15 mins and I offered him money but he wouldn't take it. The place I brought it to was http://www.alasta.ie/. They saved me big time and I am going to bring it down to him for a service to repay him back in some small way.

Advertisement