Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

So which Bishop brother do you think will be taken out?

I have a feeling it'll be Denzo...

I'm guessing it will be the youngest of the Bishop brothers, can never tell them apart! Hopefully Zumo and the other brother will seek revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Deise Tom wrote: »
    True, but you would expect them to get things right. Arent they suppose to depict reality, which is what makes them so popular.

It was only done because Connie's father was in hospital dying...

rogercar wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will be the youngest of the Bishop brothers, can never tell them apart! Hopefully Zumo and the other brother will seek revenge.

Decco

00033615-279.jpg

Denzo

00033616-279.jpg

and I presume you know Zumo :p

00031885-279.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,260 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you think Suzanne or Nessa will mention to Yvonne or Carol about Suzanne trying it on with Louis :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do you think Suzanne or Nessa will mention to Yvonne or Carol about Suzanne trying it on with Louis :p

i hope somebody mentions it!!!!

• Advertisement

i hope somebody mentions it!!!!

Me too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 EDIROL

JPLiz, where did you hear that one of the Bishop boys is going to be killed off? Are you just stirring? Or is that for real?

Maybe it's Zumo!!!:eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

They would never kill Zumo off. Be good to have a murder on the show though, especially with all the gangland incidents around Dublin at the mo.

Anyone noticed Ian Walsh in the Meteor Christmas ad. Looking fine!

EDIROL wrote: »
    JPLiz, where did you hear that one of the Bishop boys is going to be killed off? Are you just stirring? Or is that for real?

Maybe it's Zumo!!!:eek::eek:

They would never kill Zumo off. Be good to have a murder on the show though, especially with all the gangland incidents around Dublin at the mo.

Anyone noticed Ian Walsh in the Meteor Christmas ad. Looking fine![/QUOTE]

On another soap board for the 2nd time answering :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

So why did Yvonne have a go at Damien? he is the victim, surely she should be having a go at Suzanne?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I don't think Yvonne realises how bad it was. Suzanne seems to be downplaying it quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

angel01 please tell us what is happening in Fair City next week!! I need to know now! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

angel01 wrote: »
    Decco

00033615-279.jpg

Denzo

00033616-279.jpg

and I presume you know Zumo :p

00031885-279.jpg
    Thanks Angel01. Now, next time I see them on FC, I will probably still get them mixed up lol. But it looks like Richie Lennon is gonna take care of that for me!!!

The Paws wrote: »
    angel01 please tell us what is happening in Fair City next week!! I need to know now! :o

Check:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69167739&postcount=10328
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69178703&postcount=10337

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Is it a Bishop boy who is to be killed or a Bishop? I'm thinking along the lines of Charlotte or Eileen - or Finn who I still think is a Bishop in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wow, i only ever dipped in and out of FC in recent years when there was nothing on, mostly to get a laugh out of the cheap sets and woeful acting but this domestic abuse storyline is hands down the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. Not to downplay the serious issue of abuse, but FC has set the case back around 50 years with its dire handling of the issue. Ok, so Suzanne had a lot on her plate but to suddenly go totally sociopathic and start beating her husband, and then slipping into that role like a glove is just completely unrealistic and at odds with her character. Abuse usually takes weeks and months to simmer away, with the timeframe between violent episodes getting shorter until things come to a head, whereas with her she went from snapping at Damien about money to physically beating him regularly in the space of one episode....Pah.

And why would someone like Damien stay with her, even after the whole love cliche has worn out. Suzanne is not at all good looking and if Damien could get a hot bird like Nassa (even just one night) then he should have cut his losses and said "To hell with it, i can do better than her, not much better but at least a little better!", whereas Suzanne would never find a man willing to put up with those shortcomings. But no, Damien just took the beatings and abuse day after day and meekly cowered from his psycho wife and is now moping around with a 45yr old womans haircut eating ice-cream with the local Good Smaritan in the park....Christ. :rolleyes:

And this is a man who used to be a tough debt-collecter and a woman who never showed any previous signs of antisocial personality and yet the audience is supposed to just believe that this couple represent domestic abuse in Ireland today? Ridiculous and an insult to the people who have genuinely suffered abuse. As you notice i dont rate this show at all, other than as a mildly diverting comedy and here are the main points why:

1. Why does nobody in the soap suffer from the recession, they are all in good jobs, decent flats, plenty of nice clothes and enough money to drink in the local EVERY SINGLE NIGHT OF THE WEEK? That bird who came back a few weeks ago even managed to get an interview and a job offer in the space of one day, that would never happen :rolleyes:

2. Every single episode will have characters who just happened to meet as one is entering/exiting the pub or shop, what a weak way to set up a scene instead of being more natural like a phone call or meeting inside a pub. Watch the next ep, i promise there will be a scene with 2 main characters just bumping into each other....

3. The cheap sets- houses look tacky and nasty and plenty of mistakes are evident like microphone booms visible and sound echoes.

4. Quality of acting, most people on FC just phone in their performace and it simply doesnt feel realistic or gripping in any way, they just look bored and like they want to be somewhere else.

5. Characters just vanish for months at a time with no explanation and then re-appear one day as if nothing has happened and nobody ever saya "Oh, where is so-and-so, havent seen them in a while"!.

Finally, why the hell is the park featured so often. I laughed so hard the other day when Charlie was trying to get a date off that old bird (who, remember, is old and probably cant take much bitter cold in her bones, and where did he decide to give her a nice time- a restaurant? A matinee show? The cinema? Nope, he decided to....cant even believe what i saw....treat her to wine and Tony Bennett CD's IN THE MIDDLE OF A FREEZING COLD PARK IN A RECESSION IN NOVEMBER :P:P:P

I mean, WTF????:confused:

If anyone is thinking of a career in script writing then apply to Fair City, thay have no standards whatsoever ha ha.

Fair City, Irelands best comedy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

1. Why does nobody in the soap suffer from the recession, they are all in good jobs, decent flats, plenty of nice clothes and enough money to drink in the local EVERY SINGLE NIGHT OF THE WEEK? That bird who came back a few weeks ago even managed to get an interview and a job offer in the space of one day, that would never happen :rolleyes:

Seriously. Off the top of my head:

Barrys paper folded.
    Sarah lost her job
    The community centre was threatened with closure
    The Dillons lost their farm in Kilkenny
    Suzanne and Damien and all their trouble with Damiens job
    McCoys is now in financial trouble

And thats without even mentioning Bob Charles
    Fair City, Irelands best soap.

agreed

The actress who plays Suzanne is on BOC's show on RTE 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The actress who plays Suzanne is on BOC's show on RTE 1 now

She scrubs up well in real life!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Wow, i only ever dipped in and out of FC....

Sure you did. No reason at all why you would suddenly deliver a twelve-page disquisition on what exactly is wrong with a show that you, er, never watch.
    1. Why does nobody in the soap suffer from the recession...
    Apart from Bob, Tracey, Carol, Damien, Kylie, Barry, Seamus, the entire Dillon family, Christy, Sarah, Bela, Ray, Keith, Paul, Niamh, Doug, Duncan, the Bishops - because losing your job, and ending up homeless, and taking a job you hate, and being reduced to minimum wage... Well, all those things have nothing to do with the recession. You ridiculous tool.
    Every single episode will have characters who just happened to meet as one is entering/exiting the pub or shop, what a weak way to set up a scene instead of being more natural like a phone call or meeting inside a pub. Watch the next ep, i promise there will be a scene with 2 main characters just bumping into each other....
    Well, that's soap opera. They have a limited number of sets, and they can't afford to have characters meet on the top of the Eiffel Tower tonight, and Ayer's Rock tomorrow... So they use the sets they have. Like all the other soaps. What exactly do you expect?
    3. The cheap sets- houses look tacky and nasty and plenty of mistakes are evident like microphone booms visible and sound echoes.
    I challenge you right now to give me an example of this from next week's episodes. Four episodes, two hours, and if there is a single visible microphone I will give 1,000 euro to the Simon Community. Will you put your money where your mouth is? Will you give 1,000 euro to the Simon community if ther ISN'T a visible microphone? Reply to this post by 7.59 on Tuesday. (I nominate Angel01 to hold the money.)

Back up your criticism, or withdraw it, or find some other reason not to take the challenge. But if you believe what you say, put your money where your mouth is. And if you can't do that, apologise to the people who make the show.
    4. Quality of acting, most people on FC just phone in their performace and it simply doesnt feel realistic or gripping in any way, they just look bored and like they want to be somewhere else.
    Maclean Burke as Damien? Bryan Murray as Bob? Sarah Flood as Suzanne? Sam Peter Corry as Robert? Tony Tormey as Paul? Jim Bartley as Bela? You are talking absolute bull****, and I challenge you to pick an episode next week, or the week after, and let's analyse every performance.

Yes, analyse, rather than throw some criticism at it and hope it sticks: pick an episode, and come back here the next day and we will dissect each performance in detail.
    5. Characters just vanish for months at a time with no explanation and then re-appear one day as if nothing has happened and nobody ever saya "Oh, where is so-and-so, havent seen them in a while"!.
    Give an example of this from the next month. You care enough about the programme to join the thread: so care enough about it to stick around, and validate your criticism. We're not cheerleaders here. We can be as harsh as any critic. But we have a basic minimum standard of "let's talk about what we just saw", rather than facilitating the convulsive hatred of someone who suddenly, for reasons of their own, suddenly stopped liking the show.
    If anyone is thinking of a career in script writing then apply to Fair City, thay have no standards whatsoever ha ha.
    Does anyone else smell a rejected writer?

Damn, my last post was a bit combative, and I apologise for that. This is such a decent thread, and I've probably been a bit too aggressive. I hate to see someone suddenly whale into the show, particularly when it's so good, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Wanderer2010, I'm sorry if I gave you a hard time. The microphone challenge still stands, but I'm happy to debate any other aspect of FC, whenever you want.

• Advertisement

Damn, my last post was a bit combative, and I apologise for that. This is such a decent thread, and I've probably been a bit too aggressive. I hate to see someone suddenly whale into the show, particularly when it's so good, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Wanderer2010, I'm sorry if I gave you a hard time. The microphone challenge still stands, but I'm happy to debate any other aspect of FC, whenever you want.

I thought your post was the best post in the whole blooming thread. Fantastic! *claps*

I will definately hold the money... be careful I may run off with it ;):D

On another point, seems RTE have been given the go ahead for a redevelopment, one of the Fair Citys outdoor set will be demolished... surely not the wonderful park :eek:
    RTÉ HAS been granted planning permission by An Bord Pleanála for a phased €350 million redevelopment of the northern half of its Montrose campus in Donnybrook, Dublin, over a period of 10 years.

The board’s decision, which is subject to 23 conditions, was based on its consideration of the Dublin City Development Plan as well as “the established use of the site, the pattern of development in the vicinity and the design and layout” of the scheme.

However, plans to sell the southern part of the 31-acre site have been constrained by a condition that the use of buildings to be retained “shall be restricted to use by RTÉ staff only and shall not be sold or leased separately” unless permission is granted.

Objectors to the proposed development included An Taisce, the German embassy, billionaire financier Dermot Desmond, who has a house on nearby Ailesbury Road, and several other local residents, who claimed that it would be out of scale.

The planning board ruled that it would be “an acceptable form of development at this location, within the setting of the protected structures and the architectural quality of the campus” and that it would not seriously injure the amenities of the area.

RTÉ said it was pleased to learn of the board’s decision to approve what the national broadcaster calls its “Project 2025” plan for the “long-term modernisation” of its production facilities in Donnybrook, which originally date from 1962.

“The securing of planning permission is an important milestone in a project which commenced in 2002 and which aims to ensure that RTÉ is properly equipped to meet its obligations in a digital age,” the station said.
    It made no reference to funding.

Designed by Scott Tallon Walker, the new broadcasting complex would extend to more than 63,500sq m (683,500sq ft) above basement level in buildings ranging from nearly 11m to 36m in height – the equivalent of nine storeys.

They would house television and radio studios, multi-purpose spaces, newsrooms, orchestra, office accommodation and associated facilities, sound stages, set storage areas, broadcasting technology suites, workshops, a creche and parking for 820 cars.

It would involve demolishing the remnants of a walled garden, the existing radio building, a squat multistorey car park to the rear, a single storey creche, a sound stage-library building, a set storage building and an outdoor set used by Fair City.

The board has also specified that a full architectural and photographic survey of the Radio Centre be carried out prior to commencement of development, with a copy to be lodged in the Irish Architectural Archive.
    Its decision related to revised plans submitted by the architects during the course of the appeal.

Sure you did. No reason at all why you would suddenly deliver a twelve-page disquisition on what exactly is wrong with a show that you, er, never watch.

I didnt say i never watched it, i have dipped in and out over the years primarily for a laugh when there is nothing else on, and more recently because of the awful domestic abuse storyline.
    Apart from Bob, Tracey, Carol, Damien, Kylie, Barry, Seamus, the entire Dillon family, Christy, Sarah, Bela, Ray, Keith, Paul, Niamh, Doug, Duncan, the Bishops - because losing your job, and ending up homeless, and taking a job you hate, and being reduced to minimum wage... Well, all those things have nothing to do with the recession. You ridiculous tool.

I could do without the personal remarks mate, you may be an absolute fanatic but other points of view do exist, you know.

Anyway, i wont pretend i watch the show enough to contradict every character you have listed but certainly the majority of the characters spend almost every night having a few pints in the pub- Bela, Keith, Yvonne, Dolores, Barry, Zumo etc etc. I appreciate there are a limited number of sets but drinking that often in the midst of a recession, that does stretch credulity somewhat, where is the money coming from? And i notice you ignored my point that the woman who returned from London recently, forget her name, got a job interview and the job offer in the same day, now that is a heap of crap and would never happen in the real world! This same woman, as well as many others, spent her entire day moping around the Hungry Pig and the pub doing nothing but eating and drinking and getting rounds of drinks in- thats very realistic :rolleyes:
    The alternative is of course to be too realistic and show families huddled under blankets sharing a tin of beans and playing board games because the father lost his job and ESB got cut off etc, i know not many people will want to see that, but thats the reality of Ireland in 2010, and a little counterbalance to the 'drink every night' portrayal would be nice at the moment.
    Well, that's soap opera. They have a limited number of sets, and they can't afford to have characters meet on the top of the Eiffel Tower tonight, and Ayer's Rock tomorrow... So they use the sets they have. Like all the other soaps. What exactly do you expect?

You are right, sets are limited and i respect that, but having characters just conveniently 'bump into each other' as one is heading for/leaving the pub/shop/park just doesnt feel organic and comes across as forced and fake. The start of Thursdays ep had Suzanne and Nassa just bump into each other on the street as Suzanne left the flat and Nassa came back from the shop- they couldnt have had their conversation in a more private place like, oh, the very flat they just spent the whole night in?? The only way i can describe it is that you can almost see the characters frozen before "Action!" is shouted and they then bump into each other and start talking- stilted, jerky and unnatural.
    I challenge you right now to give me an example of this from next week's episodes. Four episodes, two hours, and if there is a single visible microphone I will give 1,000 euro to the Simon Community. Will you put your money where your mouth is? Will you give 1,000 euro to the Simon community if ther ISN'T a visible microphone? Reply to this post by 7.59 on Tuesday. (I nominate Angel01 to hold the money.)

Back up your criticism, or withdraw it, or find some other reason not to take the challenge. But if you believe what you say, put your money where your mouth is. And if you can't do that, apologise to the people who make the show.

I havent got 1000euro to give to charity right now, and i am a charitable person but i am certainly not going to bet it on such a ridiculous and trivial reason as watching a soap for a microphone boom, there are higher priorities for my money sorry but fair play to you if you are willing to part with that amount of money for such a reason, you can always give it to the Simon Community anyway? If you are in a position to do that, then you should. I always try to give what i can to that charity, too, so its all good.

As for backing up my criticism, i cant give you the exact episode number of the faults but certainly i have seen the boom dip in quite a few scenes and the sound qaulity is very poor-its a generla thing where the sound gets a bit low sometimes then suddenly raises a lot and gets echoey, watch out for that the next ep. You may not hear it but i have heard it in many eps.
    Maclean Burke as Damien? Bryan Murray as Bob? Sarah Flood as Suzanne? Sam Peter Corry as Robert? Tony Tormey as Paul? Jim Bartley as Bela? You are talking absolute bull****, and I challenge you to pick an episode next week, or the week after, and let's analyse every performance.

Franky, no. We are expected to believe that Damien, who was a rough debt collecter, becomes a snivelling wreck who never stands up to his (very unnatractive) wife. We are expected to believe that Suzanne went from snappy wife to abuser in the space of ONE EPISODE (the one where she starts comically hitting the back of the chair when Damien is cowering), instead of the slow burner that usually happens with these cases. I know she broke the cue off him but the evolution from tense woman to psychopath was way off kilter and smacks of a rushed script. I found myself laughing very hard at the beating scenes, my mates did the same, thousands of people up and down the country also found it very amusing. There is even a thread dedicated to how funny the story is on these boards! So, many people out there think the story is so bad that its funny and i am one of them, that viewpoint exists whether you want to accept it or not. Sarah Flood looks really uneasy delivering the scenes, there is a real awkwardness about the hitting scenes in that i bet they only did one take it looks that amatuer, and Damien is now moping around with Dolores (it gives her character something to do, i suppose). I accept it takes time to recover but these 2 characters, from start to finish, have made a pigs ear of such an extremely serious issue and if half the county are laughing then we have a very bad failure on our hands.

As for the other characters you mentioned, i never felt they were particularly brilliant. FC doesnt know the meaning of the phrase "change is as good as a rest" Tony Tormley is in it since day one and had every job, bedded every woman and done everything you can do in a small town, why is he still there? Its boring as they are just forcing him back with Niamh, another characters who is there years. These old hands are just window dressing and they are just there for background purposes. The producers should hand a few of these people their P45s and get some fresh faces in for a few new storylines rather than the whoe "Oh, Paul is getting together with a new female character.....thats not at all boring and predictable :rolleyes:

Glenroe managed more affecting performances in one show a week than FC does 4 times a week.
    Give an example of this from the next month. You care enough about the programme to join the thread: so care enough about it to stick around, and validate your criticism. We're not cheerleaders here. We can be as harsh as any critic. But we have a basic minimum standard of "let's talk about what we just saw", rather than facilitating the convulsive hatred of someone who suddenly, for reasons of their own, suddenly stopped liking the show.

Does anyone else smell a rejected writer?

I will give you an example now- where has Keith and his brother vanished to? They had a few storyines recently and have not been seen in a few weeks, it happens all the time in FC where characters just up and disappear and then come back a few months later with no explanation as to what they were up to, it smacks of a bloated cast when they have to send a good chunk of them away for months at a time.

Ha, rejected writer? Nope, im very lucky to have a ful time job i enjoy and keep my head above water. I was just saying that if anyone did want to write scripts, the standard in FC is quite low so you have a chance!

I didnt say i never watched it, i have dipped in and out over the years primarily for a laugh when there is nothing else on, and more recently because of the awful domestic abuse storyline.

I could do without the personal remarks mate, you may be an absolute fanatic but other points of view do exist, you know.

Anyway, i wont pretend i watch the show enough to contradict every character you have listed but certainly the majority of the characters spend almost every night having a few pints in the pub- Bela, Keith, Yvonne, Dolores, Barry, Zumo etc etc. I appreciate there are a limited number of sets but drinking that often in the midst of a recession, that does stretch credulity somewhat, where is the money coming from? And i notice you ignored my point that the woman who returned from London recently, forget her name, got a job interview and the job offer in the same day, now that is a heap of crap and would never happen in the real world! This same woman, as well as many others, spent her entire day moping around the Hungry Pig and the pub doing nothing but eating and drinking and getting rounds of drinks in- thats very realistic :rolleyes:
    The alternative is of course to be too realistic and show families huddled under blankets sharing a tin of beans and playing board games because the father lost his job and ESB got cut off etc, i know not many people will want to see that, but thats the reality of Ireland in 2010, and a little counterbalance to the 'drink every night' portrayal would be nice at the moment.

You are right, sets are limited and i respect that, but having characters just conveniently 'bump into each other' as one is heading for/leaving the pub/shop/park just doesnt feel organic and comes across as forced and fake. The start of Thursdays ep had Suzanne and Nassa just bump into each other on the street as Suzanne left the flat and Nassa came back from the shop- they couldnt have had their conversation in a more private place like, oh, the very flat they just spent the whole night in?? The only way i can describe it is that you can almost see the characters frozen before "Action!" is shouted and they then bump into each other and start talking- stilted, jerky and unnatural.

I havent got 1000euro to give to charity right now, and i am a charitable person but i am certainly not going to bet it on such a ridiculous and trivial reason as watching a soap for a microphone boom, there are higher priorities for my money sorry but fair play to you if you are willing to part with that amount of money for such a reason, you can always give it to the Simon Community anyway? If you are in a position to do that, then you should. I always try to give what i can to that charity, too, so its all good.

As for backing up my criticism, i cant give you the exact episode number of the faults but certainly i have seen the boom dip in quite a few scenes and the sound qaulity is very poor-its a generla thing where the sound gets a bit low sometimes then suddenly raises a lot and gets echoey, watch out for that the next ep. You may not hear it but i have heard it in many eps.

Franky, no. We are expected to believe that Damien, who was a rough debt collecter, becomes a snivelling wreck who never stands up to his (very unnatractive) wife. We are expected to believe that Suzanne went from snappy wife to abuser in the space of ONE EPISODE (the one where she starts comically hitting the back of the chair when Damien is cowering), instead of the slow burner that usually happens with these cases. I know she broke the cue off him but the evolution from tense woman to psychopath was way off kilter and smacks of a rushed script. I found myself laughing very hard at the beating scenes, my mates did the same, thousands of people up and down the country also found it very amusing. There is even a thread dedicated to how funny the story is on these boards! So, many people out there think the story is so bad that its funny and i am one of them, that viewpoint exists whether you want to accept it or not. Sarah Flood looks really uneasy delivering the scenes, there is a real awkwardness about the hitting scenes in that i bet they only did one take it looks that amatuer, and Damien is now moping around with Dolores (it gives her character something to do, i suppose). I accept it takes time to recover but these 2 characters, from start to finish, have made a pigs ear of such an extremely serious issue and if half the county are laughing then we have a very bad failure on our hands.

As for the other characters you mentioned, i never felt they were particularly brilliant. FC doesnt know the meaning of the phrase "change is as good as a rest" Tony Tormley is in it since day one and had every job, bedded every woman and done everything you can do in a small town, why is he still there? Its boring as they are just forcing him back with Niamh, another characters who is there years. These old hands are just window dressing and they are just there for background purposes. The producers should hand a few of these people their P45s and get some fresh faces in for a few new storylines rather than the whoe "Oh, Paul is getting together with a new female character.....thats not at all boring and predictable :rolleyes:

Glenroe managed more affecting performances in one show a week than FC does 4 times a week.

I will give you an example now- where has Keith and his brother vanished to? They had a few storyines recently and have not been seen in a few weeks, it happens all the time in FC where characters just up and disappear and then come back a few months later with no explanation as to what they were up to, it smacks of a bloated cast when they have to send a good chunk of them away for months at a time.

Ha, rejected writer? Nope, im very lucky to have a ful time job i enjoy and keep my head above water. I was just saying that if anyone did want to write scripts, the standard in FC is quite low so you have a chance!

You do realise that the actors on the show are not as well paid as the UK soap actors for instance, quite a few of them do other things, for instance you bring up Keith, after meeting him, he told me he does a lot of work in the States and often travels there. Anyway Keith features next week so you need not worry anymore :)

The actress who plays Jo has her own acting school, others like Tracey, Bob and many others do a lot of theatre work to supplement their income. Some actors have gone on maternity leave. They all had exit storylines. In the real world, I don't see my neighbours or friends every day of the week, I could go months without catching up..

The cast is certainly not bloated, they share the scenes around rather than having the same people in week on week, The Suzanne & Damien storyline was built up and worked on for over 18 months I believe. I did think that Niamh & Paul were in it a bit too much but that seems to have eased off lately. :) Paul is in the show because he is a great actor, you seem to have forgotten other soaps such as Corrie have Ken Barlow, he has been the romeo of the soap since it started and I presume you would have him pensioned off as well :rolleyes:

So suddenly you seem to know how many takes FC take for each scene and what indepth knowledge do you have for this. the recent ratings shows how much people value the storyline and a great job well done for all there.

You mention the pub, in an upcoming storyline, you will see that McCoys will go into financial trouble so you better add that to your list of recession problems. You could also mention in Eastenders or Corrie, they also frequent the pub a lot. You can't spend all your time at home huddled around a board game, that isn't what people want to watch. It is a soap, you want entertainment, good storylines and great acting and in my opinion, you get all that in Fair City and so much more.

You say you don't enjoy the soap or watch it but you seem to know a hell of a lot about the actors and the storylines ;)

I love the soap and I will defend it to the hilt, like most of us will. we welcome opinion and we will share our opinion but I have to say the things you are saying, I cannot agree with and I am extremely proud of the soap. I think Brigie de Courcey running the show is doing a fantastic job and I am so glad they are getting the ratings they deserve.

You're right. I shouldn't have got personal. I think some of your criticisms are extremely unfair, but that's no reason to go off on one. Every so often we get a troll attack, and it does make me a bit trigger-happy, but I shouldn't have let fly at you.

I blame the government, frankly. :o

It does strike me that some of what you're pointing out is just the nature of soap - people "bumping into each other" and so forth. I tend to agree about characters disappearing. It's unavoidable, I guess, but maybe it could be handled better.

Interesting point about Orla landing s job. My take on that was that she had to pull strings, which is about the only way anyone gets a job these days, but maybe it was a little easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Wow, i only ever dipped in and out of FC in recent years when there was nothing on, mostly to get a laugh out of the cheap sets and woeful acting but this domestic abuse storyline is hands down the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. Not to downplay the serious issue of abuse, but FC has set the case back around 50 years with its dire handling of the issue. Ok, so Suzanne had a lot on her plate but to suddenly go totally sociopathic and start beating her husband, and then slipping into that role like a glove is just completely unrealistic and at odds with her character. Abuse usually takes weeks and months to simmer away, with the timeframe between violent episodes getting shorter until things come to a head, whereas with her she went from snapping at Damien about money to physically beating him regularly in the space of one episode....Pah.

And why would someone like Damien stay with her, even after the whole love cliche has worn out. Suzanne is not at all good looking and if Damien could get a hot bird like Nassa (even just one night) then he should have cut his losses and said "To hell with it, i can do better than her, not much better but at least a little better!", whereas Suzanne would never find a man willing to put up with those shortcomings. But no, Damien just took the beatings and abuse day after day and meekly cowered from his psycho wife and is now moping around with a 45yr old womans haircut eating ice-cream with the local Good Smaritan in the park....Christ. :rolleyes:

And this is a man who used to be a tough debt-collecter and a woman who never showed any previous signs of antisocial personality and yet the audience is supposed to just believe that this couple represent domestic abuse in Ireland today? Ridiculous and an insult to the people who have genuinely suffered abuse. As you notice i dont rate this show at all, other than as a mildly diverting comedy and here are the main points why:

2. Every single episode will have characters who just happened to meet as one is entering/exiting the pub or shop, what a weak way to set up a scene instead of being more natural like a phone call or meeting inside a pub. Watch the next ep, i promise there will be a scene with 2 main characters just bumping into each other....

Finally, why the hell is the park featured so often. I laughed so hard the other day when Charlie was trying to get a date off that old bird (who, remember, is old and probably cant take much bitter cold in her bones, and where did he decide to give her a nice time- a restaurant? A matinee show? The cinema? Nope, he decided to....cant even believe what i saw....treat her to wine and Tony Bennett CD's IN THE MIDDLE OF A FREEZING COLD PARK IN A RECESSION IN NOVEMBER :P:P:P

I mean, WTF????:confused:

Fair City, Irelands best comedy. :D

And the award for most obnoxious and uninformed post of the year goes to...

I could rip your post to shreds, but I think Meeja managed to do that just fine already.

I will however comment on your post about Orla getting a job in one day - it happens. Happened to me - first job I applied for in the recession and I got it. Great job, great salary.
    As for those who drink in the pub every night - you can live nicely off the dole these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

My reply is where it should be http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056068042

BTW I amn't a big fan of soap, but don't post in Fan threads, I don't do it to TBBT.

Elmo wrote: »
    My reply is where it should be http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056068042

BTW I amn't a big fan of soap, but don't post in Fan threads, I don't do it to TBBT.

Ok fair enough, this post was probably in the wrong thread as clearly this is a FC appreciation thread and after leafing through some replies its clear that this is only a thread to post positive and encouraging comments about FC so you didnt like it when i gave my opinion! But i still stand by my comments, i think the soap is laughable and works as a mild comedy when you want to chill out a bit. Not every soap is perfect but i have watched Hollyoaks and even Glenroe brought new people into it now and then, FC is stuck with bloody Paul and Niamh talking the same old crap over and over, move on people! Fresh faces and plots are essential to keep a soap interesting. And yes, Ken Barlow is also an ancient part of furniture. And to Negative poster above, "tear my post to shreds"?? Get real will you, its a forum for mutual debate and discussion, im more than willing to treat other peoples remarks with respect and respond with some counter-arguments but if you think someone who has a different opinion than you is obnoxious then i feel sorry for you :rolleyes:

Edit: Actually, there are quite a lot of negative comments about FC in this thread, especially the earlier comments so a bit of balance wouldnt go astray here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Epicurus wrote: »
    Seriously. Off the top of my head:

Barrys paper folded.
    Sarah lost her job
    The community centre was threatened with closure
    The Dillons lost their farm in Kilkenny
    Suzanne and Damien and all their trouble with Damiens job
    McCoys is now in financial trouble

And thats without even mentioning Bob Charles

agreed

Dont know the answer to this, but did they loose it or did they sell it so that they could move to Dublin as a family when Judith began work there.

Isnt Bob the typical example of person which shows why we are in the mess we are in, where by he taught he had it all, get involved in more that he could manage and got his fingers burned. We did not see anyone put pressure on him to get involved in projects he did. It was just pure greed on his behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

All soaps have their furniture and often don't get rid of them until the day they die. Dot Cotton, Alf (Home And Away), Emmerdale would have only but they had a plane crash that kill everyone, Ken, Paul etc (I don't watch many of the others I am sure Hollyoaks (even as a teen soap) has an old reliable like the Australian teen soaps). Glenroe really only changed towards the end, the dynamic of Biddy, Miley, Mary, Dick, Tessy and Diddy was always there.
    Edit: Actually, there are quite a lot of negative comments about FC in this thread, especially the earlier comments so a bit of balance wouldnt go astray here

My issue is when as a non-fan (and I am a non-fan) you will just get the fans replying to be negative towards your post. This was one of the reasons I gave up banging on about how ****ing bad TBBT is, when I went into series threads, I would be chased out of there, but then I had 2 debate threads :), still people seem to think it is the greatest comedy ever :( As for FC again I think you could hop into CS thread and bang on about how bad that is, if you really wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement