Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You think I like razorlight? Uh, that hurts. Oasis had one or two okay songs and Noel was/is a decent enough interviewee but Liam Gallagher made being a complete spanner something people aspire too. How? Obviously if looking at monkey boy singing Status Quo songs floats your boat I'm happy for you but celebrating Dad Rock as something positive is insane. Maybe, just maybe, not being shackled to his tit of a brother might help Noel Gallagher to produce something fresh and interesting. Stranger things have happened.

Liam gallagher is the definition of a ****ing rock star and the best frontman of all time.so what if he acts the cock head now and again the music he produces is still mega I always find that a lot of people hate oasis purely on the basis that liams a bit of a knobhead. Thom yorkes a **** but I still like radiohead . It's about the music not the personality of the people in the band. Dad rock you say well it's better then half the ****e released this year and it's only their first single released so keep your slating of the band till after you hear the album man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

how come a moderator is allowed to insult people like that but if it was anyone else they would be banned?
    He didn't insult you. He pointed out that the post was an oxymoron like dwarf mountain, virtual reality or arguable fact. That's not an insult at all.

Also, on that note, in case you're unaware of its existence, please use the Report Post icon report.gif if you're unhappy with a post so that moderators and category moderators are made aware of it. That is far better than dragging a thread off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just posted on the other thread about Beady Eye but I'm not blown away by that new single, I thought it was pretty average to be honest. I've been an Oasis fan for quite a long time. I can still remember when I started to like them. They'd been out a while but for whatever reason they'd sort of not really appeared on my radar until Whatever came out.

It was being played on the radio and stuff and a few months later they released Some Might Say and that's the one that nailed me. I remember listening to Atlantic 252 and them saying "We have Oasis's new single coming up next" and it was Whatever and I was getting annoyed as their latest was Some Might Say and that was the one I was desperate to hear.

I then went out and bought Morning Glory and thought it was class. I loved Don't Look Back in Anger from the very first play.

Will be interesting to see what Noel releases now if he ever get's around to putting some tracks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

All Around The World (Hey Jude)
    Whatever (Eleanor Rigby....ish)
    The middle section of Born On A Different Cloud (Happiness Is A Warm Gun)

Thats about it. Beatles comparison always puzzled me too, sound more like Stone Roses or something a lot heavier. Beatles were pop, Oasis werent.

:confused:

Octopuses garden, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Two good albums, followed by a load of overblown indulgent ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Two good albums, followed by a load of overblown indulgent ****e.
    Cliché if ever there was one. Half their remaining was underblown if it was anything.

You think I like razorlight? Uh, that hurts. Oasis had one or two okay songs and Noel was/is a decent enough interviewee but Liam Gallagher made being a complete spanner something people aspire too. How? Obviously if looking at monkey boy singing Status Quo songs floats your boat I'm happy for you but celebrating Dad Rock as something positive is insane. Maybe, just maybe, not being shackled to his tit of a brother might help Noel Gallagher to produce something fresh and interesting. Stranger things have happened.

I hate to sound like a 12 year old on youtube here but, "if u dnt lk oasis go way nd dnt b slagin dem off, gt a lf lk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

:confused:

Octopuses garden, no?

I suppose a cross between Octopuses Garden and Eleanor Rigby, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I hate to sound like a 12 year old on youtube here but, "if u dnt lk oasis go way nd dnt b slagin dem off, gt a lf lk"

Well the OP stated asked us to discuss if Oasis are the best. I was merely putting acoss an opposing viewpoint. I have yet to be convinced that somebody with the iq of a lobotomised seal whose sole bit of stagecraft involves standing with his hands behind his back and jutting his chin is the greatest frontman of all time. Thom Yorke might be a gombeen, I don't know, but at least he seems to have a bit of intelligence when it comes to the creation of his music. Also he doesn't seem to feel the need to proclaim himself the greatest frontman of all time. I could tell people constantly that I have the cock of an elephant. Doesn't make it true.
    Cliché if ever there was one. Half their remaining was underblown if it was anything.

Underblown as in they didn't bother over exerting themselves and played it safe? Yeah, I'd say that's a fair assessment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Best band in the last 20 years. Possibly 30, but I have to get back to you on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Joseph... wrote: »
    i was at oasis in slane 2 years ago....was brilliant but my vote would have to go either chillis or coldplay as being the best over last while....or maybe even U2 before their last album!!!

bestbetrollin

Also, I disagree with the OP's point, despite it not being a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

To all the Oasis haters: Have you listened to all the Oasis stuff? All the albums are filled with gems you just need to listen and find them.

I love all the albums, but Definetly Maybe and What's the Story are amazing, there aren't many bands with albums that good.

Yeah Liam is a cnut but thats all part of who they are. The whole brilliance of Oasis is built on their cocky confidence, loud mouth attitudes and I don't give a **** antics.

It's a great divide, you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I think the majority of haters decision is based on the fact they think Liam is a d*ckhead and Noel is talented but also quite a cnut himself.

I love Oasis for firstly their music and secondly their ability to split the public opinion, I think they live off the buzz of knowing a lot of people hate them, and i respect them for that, Dya known what I mean? ;)

Live Forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i love be here now, maybe its because i listened to it first after all the hype had died down. i think its great, don't go away is a classic

Well the OP stated asked us to discuss if Oasis are the best. I was merely putting acoss an opposing viewpoint. I have yet to be convinced that somebody with the iq of a lobotomised seal whose sole bit of stagecraft involves standing with his hands behind his back and jutting his chin is the greatest frontman of all time. Thom Yorke might be a gombeen, I don't know, but at least he seems to have a bit of intelligence when it comes to the creation of his music. Also he doesn't seem to feel the need to proclaim himself the greatest frontman of all time. I could tell people constantly that I have the cock of an elephant. Doesn't make it true.

Underblown as in they didn't bother over exerting themselves and played it safe? Yeah, I'd say that's a fair assessment of it.
    I don't think intelligence has anything to do with the craft of music. For a council estate idiot who didn't obtain the British equivalent of a Leaving Cert, he certainly hasn't done too badly for himself, has he? I don't listen to music based on how many BAs or MAs the artist possesses. That said I'm not a pretentious tw*t!

Thom Yorke is a fantastic musician, no one is denying that. You didn't bring him up, fair enough, but it is totally off topic. Liam Gallagher got up there and performed the tunes without much need for hullabaloo. I've seen Radiohead, Blur, Arctic Monekys live and they are not too much more lively (Albarn jumped into the pit at OXEGEN but other than that he stood centre stage with a microphone). The singer should be able to sing his songs and bring the crowd great enjoyment without having to act the b*ll*cks a la Bono.

Underblown in that there were no 45 second intros made up of layers and layers of guitars and helicopter noises, underblown in that they didn't record the longest #1 in the history of the UK singles chart and then add a reprise onto the end of it. Their remaining career after Be Here Now was most certainly underblown in comparison to Be Here Now. To describe it as having "played it safe" suggests you probably haven't really given any of Oasis' back catalogue much time and that as such you probably shouldn't make ignorant generalisations.

aDeener wrote: »
    i love be here now, maybe its because i listened to it first after all the hype had died down. i think its great, don't go away is a classic

Be Here Now is a top album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Listened to Falling Down today, Noel can still write a killer tune. Cant ****ing wait for his solo album

I don't think intelligence has anything to do with the craft of music. For a council estate idiot who didn't obtain the British equivalent of a Leaving Cert, he certainly hasn't done too badly for himself, has he? I don't listen to music based on how many BAs or MAs the artist possesses. That said I'm not a pretentious tw*t!

I don't know if you're directing the pretentious twat comment at me but its totally uncalled for if it is. Have I once insulted anyone for listening to Oasis? No. Moving on... I never once said that you needed to have degrees to make intelligent music, did I? Listening to the music is all the proof you need when it comes assessing whether the creator has a brain or not and I won't apologise in saying that I like some spark of intelligence in the music I listen to. That said, there is an awful lot of intellectual posturing in certain genres of music that I find pretty tiresome. Also, you can be guaranteed that if somebody making music prefixes what they make with the word intelligent you're guaranteed it probably isn't (intelligent rock, intelligent pop, intelligent dance, etc.). It can be a bit of a fine line at times.
    Thom Yorke is a fantastic musician, no one is denying that. You didn't bring him up, fair enough, but it is totally off topic. Liam Gallagher got up there and performed the tunes without much need for hullabaloo. I've seen Radiohead, Blur, Arctic Monekys live and they are not too much more lively (Albarn jumped into the pit at OXEGEN but other than that he stood centre stage with a microphone). The singer should be able to sing his songs and bring the crowd great enjoyment without having to act the b*ll*cks a la Bono.

Fair enough, I'll concede to some of that. I still think he looks like a tit onstage and inspired some amount of gob****es.
    Underblown in that there were no 45 second intros made up of layers and layers of guitars and helicopter noises, underblown in that they didn't record the longest #1 in the history of the UK singles chart and then add a reprise onto the end of it. Their remaining career after Be Here Now was most certainly underblown in comparison to Be Here Now. To describe it as having "played it safe" suggests you probably haven't really given any of Oasis' back catalogue much time and that as such you probably shouldn't make ignorant generalisations.

You see, I have listened to their back catalogue and in a moment of madness I bought their last album. I read after they bought the album that they had booked time somewhere over in America to record the album and that Liam fooked off half way through to attend his sister in laws wedding and after that Noel didn't bother doing any more with the album and released it as it was. Does that sound like the actions of a man that really cares about the fans they have? He couldn't be bothered actually trying to produce what could the best possible album, the man had been on autodrive for the last few albums, allowing more and more of the other members to write song because he didn't have the passion any more.

I'll read any old bull**** in the music papers when I'm on the bog and I've read plenty about Oasis in my time to know I'm not making ignorant generalisatons.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Noel Gallagher is a genius.

Get a ****ing grip

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

ball ox wrote: »
    Get a ****ing grip

Oasis have had 23 top ten hits, all their albums have gone to number 1, Noel has written the majority of their songs, so in my book, that'd make him a genius. What other band has come close to that in the last 20 years.

Oasis have had 23 top ten hits, all their albums have gone to number 1, Noel has written the majority of their songs, so in my book, that'd make him a genius. What other band has come close to that in the last 20 years.

Using that logic, Westlife would be godlike...

• Advertisement

Only top 10? Well Maria Carey has had 18 no. 1 hits so she must be a genius too yeah? Or maybe Usher who has had 9 no.1 hits?
    Using record sales to prove someones credibility is pointless. Are the spice girls geniuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

The Oasis cover of I am the Walrus and Helter Skelter are equal to The Beatles versions.

Christ........
    Now is he time for palmface pictures if anyone has them handy...

I don't know if you're directing the pretentious twat comment at me but its totally uncalled for if it is. Have I once insulted anyone for listening to Oasis? No. Moving on... I never once said that you needed to have degrees to make intelligent music, did I? Listening to the music is all the proof you need when it comes assessing whether the creator has a brain or not and I won't apologise in saying that I like some spark of intelligence in the music I listen to. That said, there is an awful lot of intellectual posturing in certain genres of music that I find pretty tiresome. Also, you can be guaranteed that if somebody making music prefixes what they make with the word intelligent you're guaranteed it probably isn't (intelligent rock, intelligent pop, intelligent dance, etc.). It can be a bit of a fine line at times.

Fair enough, I'll concede to some of that. I still think he looks like a tit onstage and inspired some amount of gob****es.

You see, I have listened to their back catalogue and in a moment of madness I bought their last album. I read after they bought the album that they had booked time somewhere over in America to record the album and that Liam fooked off half way through to attend his sister in laws wedding and after that Noel didn't bother doing any more with the album and released it as it was. Does that sound like the actions of a man that really cares about the fans they have? He couldn't be bothered actually trying to produce what could the best possible album, the man had been on autodrive for the last few albums, allowing more and more of the other members to write song because he didn't have the passion any more.

I'll read any old bull**** in the music papers when I'm on the bog and I've read plenty about Oasis in my time to know I'm not making ignorant generalisatons.

You describe Liam Gallagher as "somebody with the iq of a lobotomised seal" before stating that "Thom Yorke might be a gombeen, I don't know, but at least he seems to have a bit of intelligence when it comes to the creation of his music." You seemed to be suggesting that artists like Radiohead, with their (attempted) university degrees and classical music training, are far superior to Oasis, with their disgustingly low IQs, who could only record "one or two okay songs" in 15 years. That is slightly pretentious in my opinion. I'll withdraw the use of the word "tw*t", it was extremely needless.

"I never once said that you needed to have degrees to make intelligent music." I never once said that Oasis made "intelligent music", whatever that even is. They do (did) however, make music that I find enjoyable to listen to. Like I said previously, I don't check the university qualifications of the artist before I decide whether their music is worthy of my appreciation.

Gallagher probably has inspired some amount of gobsh*t*s, heaven knows there were plenty of the at Slane last year!

If they make such boring and underwhelming music, why did you go out and buy the last album? Why have you listened to their back catalogue as well? They must have been doing something to draw you in if you are implying that you know all of the music Oasis have made. It would suggest that they have written and recorded more than "one or two okay songs" during their career, would it not? To just take the last album, there were many highpoints (Falling Down, The Shock of the Lightning, The Turning) on it and one or two lowpoints (Get off Your High Horse Lady probably being the best example). There is definitely a gap in your story if you are claiming that Oasis are useless and yet you know every single song they have ever recorded and you know the back stories to their albums.

Perhaps Noel didn't have the drive anymore. He knew he was going to sell 3m records and sell out venues no matter what he released. He was also extremely wealthy. You can't however, lump songs like "The Importance of Being Idle" and "Falling Down" in with "Mucky Fingers" or "Sunday Morning Call" and call Oasis' music collectively boring because that would be a horrible generalisation.

On a side note, some of the best songs in Oasis' career were written by members other than Noel (Keep the Dream Alive and A Bell Will Ring as two cases in point). In saying that however, I do very much look forward to Noel's solo career.

End of the ****ing day oasis defined a genration there the best in the last 20 years No ****ing doubht. For all u haters out there who think there's a better genration definig band give me facts on album sAles, awards, ticket sales (globally), recognation and no.1's albums and singles. Live forever ricero

Only top 10? Well Maria Carey has had 18 no. 1 hits so she must be a genius too yeah? Or maybe Usher who has had 9 no.1 hits?
    Using record sales to prove someones credibility is pointless. Are the spice girls geniuses?

It's to do with genre. Oasis were the most successful rock act (in the UK) of the last 20 twenty years. You can't lump Oasis in with Usher and Maria Carey and just brand them all pop, let's be reasonable!

Oasis ar ****ing cool do you knoW what I mean. Beady eye for slane **** the kings of sell outs

Oasis were the most successful rock act (in the UK) of the last 20 twenty years.

That is quite a claim. This is what I love about Oasis fans, pure deluded arrogance.

I don't think intelligence has anything to do with the craft of music.
    Brilliant!

• Advertisement

That is quite a claim. This is what I love about Oasis fans, pure deluded arrogance.

Who was better then scouting for girls ??? ;)

Advertisement