Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't particularly remember it, I was only five or six, but that doesn't mean I can't be well versed in 80s pop trivia - everyone should be! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Nah, by the time Bros came along a few yeras later I had realised how cool I was. (Unfortunately, my peers were not as perceptive as me on that front)

All the Taylors in Duran wanted me, as well as Le Bon and Rhodes, so you just dream on Foxy, in your "Frankie says..." tee shirt. And anyway EVERYONE knows you can't like FGTH and DD at the same time 'cos it's not allowed!So, actually, you're not cool, actually.

:D

I don't think I actually did like FGTH, I think it was a case of everyone and their granny had the t-shirt..

I was 15ish..
    and I thought I was cool :cool:
    in a just follow the crowd kinda way..

When I think about it now I don't think I knew what gay was then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Am old enough to remember it charting and the Harp bar westmoreland street was were I use to hang out at the time to . I had the T - Shirt to ( ah 80s memories ;))

a BBC DJ called Mike Reid refused to play ' Relax ' song on his radio show due to the lyrics which only upped the sales of and no doubt helped the record to reach no 1 in the charts ( but would have anyway ) .

Think it was the same DJ who also on release, refused to play the Sex Pistols ' Anarchy in the UK ' .

Result ? ... that also reached no 1 which had Fcuk all to do with with him playing it or not .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

fryup wrote: »
    and here it is in its crudest form

brillant niteclub track all the same, love the stomping bass intro.. a real 80s classic:)

I'm sure the 'ban' wasn't as draconian in Ireland as it was in the UK. Ironically.

Let's just say I only had access to Irish media back then. And I heard the song plenty. Think in Ire it was allowed after a certain time of the night.

Could be wrong though, I'm going senile these days

And a few months later we got "The Power of Love" nativity video.
    Schites, I really do remeber it a wee bit too well!

Which in turn lost out to BandAid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You could get into serious trouble with anything remotely Frankie related at my school at the time. The funny thing is, the teachers didn't actually know what the controversy was actually about, just that they were considered controversial and they must have thought "That's enough of that now, (careful there) down with that sort of thing.."

Is Holly Johnson still alive btw.

This thread reminds me of buying Smash Hits on a Thursday.:pac:

Latchy wrote: »
    Am old enough to remember it charting and the Harp bar was were I use to hang out at the time to . I had the T - Shirt to ( ah 80s memories ;))

a BBC DJ called Mike Reid refused to play ' Relax ' song on his radio show due to the lyrics which only upped the sales of and no doubt helped the record to reach no 1 in the charts ( but would have anyway ) .

Think it was the same DJ who also on release, refused to play the Sex Pistols ' Anarchy in the UK ' .

Result ? ... that also reached no 1 which had Fcuk all with him playing it or not .:cool:

eh.. The Harp you say?

Did I snog you? :p

* googles youtube Anarchy in the UK *

I loved the Sex Pistols

Luxie wrote: »
    I'm sure the 'ban' wasn't as draconian in Ireland as it was in the UK. Ironically.

Let's just say I only had access to Irish media back then. And I heard the song plenty. Think in Ire it was allowed after a certain time of the night.

Could be wrong though, I'm going senile these days
    Yes! Now I can remember Gerry Ryan playing it at night, after much hype: "you won't get this on the BBC, boys and girls..."

Wasn't George Michael's 'I want your sex' also considered too RUDE for the listening/watching public to listen to/watch?

• Advertisement

Yep, diagnosed with HIV about 20 years ago and apparently given six months to live at the time. Hearing him say, in an interview, with his extremely camp Liverpool accent (an accent that, like the Cork one, lends itself very well to camp) "Well Mike Read was just a fucking wanker really" made me giggle... :D

Ah, Smash Hits - such a fantastic mag before it became all sanitised in the 90s... :o

I did see him on a tv show a few months ao ( cant remember which one ) and I do belive he's still around producing and recording some stuff
    foxinsox wrote: »
    eh.. The Harp you say?

Did I snog you? :p
    You so did :p

Tis quite possible , we may have crossed paths ;)

* googles youtube Anarchy in the UK *

I loved the Sex Pistols
    I did to but I settled for the less extreme ' new wave ' dress style myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Yup he's still alive, was rumoured he'd died of AIDS if I remember rightly.

Ah God be with the days of Smash Hits. Got really cool best of Smash Hits annual, what a trip down memory lane:D. Could vividly remember a lot of the front covers....

Yes! Now I can remember Gerry Ryan playing it at night, after much hype: "you won't get this on the BBC, boys and girls..."

ok .. for the younger folk..google tape recorder for info :o

I think I might have recorded that off the radio..
    In the kitchen..
    Telling my mother to be quiet..
    Put tape recorder as near to radio as possible and hope to god nobody farts, belches, talks etc..

@ Dudess... just saw the end of your post.. auldies :p :P

Will us old folks get beaten with sticks for taking over the young man's thread?

Wasn't George Michael's 'I want your sex' also considered too RUDE for the listening/watching public to listen to/watch?
    Despite its perceived "sauciness" (the word "sex", that's about it) the sentiment of it was an endorsement of monogamy (height of the AIDS panic). A decade later, George Michael was in a very public open relationship... :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »
    its about gay sex,

what:eek:

so its not about chillin, but more about ribbin

Makes sense, I remember Gerry Ryan when he was 'cutting edge' late at night.

philstar wrote: »

Excuse me, young man..

I cannot assist you in your quest for answers..

Apologies I don't understand this modern language..

I do not know what ribbin is :confused:

Sorry I can't be of more help..

I'm 72 years old don't you know :D

/waves walking cane

Hey... younglin'! Get offa ma thread! :mad:

/rocks manically in rocking chair and cackles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is Holly Johnson the guy who had to get his stomach pumped because it was full of...ahem well you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Dudess wrote: »
    Despite its perceived "sauciness" (the word "sex", that's about it) the sentiment of it was an endorsement of monogamy (height of the AIDS panic). A decade later, George Michael was in a very public open relationship... :pac:

George and I were to be married. I was to bear him many children. How naive was I:rolleyes:

"Oh yes, it's Auldies night
    and the feelin's right
    Oh yes, it's Auldies night
    Oh, what a night... "

is Holly Johnson the guy who had to get his stomach pumped because it was full of...ahem well you know
    Yeah, that one was doing the rounds at the time.:D

Also (IF I remember correctly TOPT/Beeb refused to show the video for Two Tribes, it was shown regularly on MT USA presented by Vincent Hanley (Fab Vinnie, remember him?)

@ Latchy..

I so bet you had the ol Flock of Seagulls haircut.. :p
    I know I did at some stage..

I'm raging I have to go to bed and leave all the aul ones :(
    work in the morning..

BUT..

I leave you this..

http://www.fashion-era.com/fashion_after1980.htm

:)

Also (IF I remember correctly TOPT/Beeb refused to show the video for Two Tribes, it was shown regularly on MT USA presented by Vincent Hanley (Fab Vinnie, remember him?)

Ah yeah ....sadly another Aids victim

73Cat wrote: »
    Yup he's still alive, was rumoured he'd died of AIDS if I remember rightly.

Ah God be with the days of Smash Hits. Got really cool best of Smash Hits annual, what a trip down memory lane:D. Could vividly remember a lot of the front covers....

They were great days to be 15 and under. Thursdays for me were buying Smash Hits (paper version kids) and TOPT came on at 7.30. Awww.

Latchy wrote: »
    Ah yeah ....sadly another Aids victim

Yep but it was denied vehemently at the time. Aids was still 'new' when he died.

I used love Fab Vinnie RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Nah, the rumour I heard at the time,was that it was Marc Almond of Soft Cell that was munching on Hotdogs. :eek: ..........erm allegedly!

• Advertisement

The agonising wait for Garda Patrol to end and make way for Top of the Pops. :D

Advertisement