Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

The whole film cracks me up. Wahlberg is awful at conveying terror!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Played a gig tonight and the first thing the sound man said to me when I thanked him for his work was, "You like Jonny Greenwood, don't you?". Don't know whether to be please or embarrassed. Didn't know it was that obvious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Has anyone been listening to Public Strain by Women? it's been my favourite "rock" album of the year thus far. Awful bang of Velvet Underground - and at times Television - off it, not to say it's only treading nostalgia, just good reference points.

You can download two of the best tracks for free here http://www.last.fm/music/Women (legal). Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I like that a lot. There's this sort trippy, modern psychedelic sound that's pretty popular right now. These dudes, the MGMT album (which I love), Oh No Ono Eggs (fantastic album) to name a few. I have to say I really like the sound - great chord progressions, heavily effected vocals... that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Didn't they have some sort of onstage breakup up recently?I liked their first record, I must check this out.

• Advertisement

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Didn't they have some sort of onstage breakup up recently?I liked their first record, I must check this out.

yeah, they did...

"Women's Canadian label Flemish Eye have since announced that the band are cancelling three more dates so the group "can get some sleep and work things out. There are no plans to cancel other upcoming dates."

Looks like it was down to exhaustion/stress, hopefully it will be worked out.

They wrote more "songs" on the new album but still indulge in some of their more experimental tendencies. I liked the first album too and imo this one is the logical progression from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

In conclusion, Nicholas Cage is the very worst actor on planet earth.

He has starred in some god-awful movies, here's a great video that College Humor did recently ripping the p*ss out of him :D

have you seen this...

Anyone going to Gorillaz tonight?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

UGHHH Friday isn't Friday when you have work tomorrow.

1 hour left and we better get out early...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What do you do lordgoat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

lordgoat wrote: »
    UGHHH Friday isn't Friday when you have work tomorrow.

1 hour left and we better get out early...

Ugh tell me about it. College Monday to Friday, and then work Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Boo-urns!

Finally got Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter. Can't wait for my long bus journey in the morning :)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What do you do lordgoat?

lordgoat fights crime by night and by day is getting more and more pissed off at his career choice and it looks like he'll be moving far far away next year.
    Twee. wrote: »
    Ugh tell me about it. College Monday to Friday, and then work Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Boo-urns!

Finally got Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter. Can't wait for my long bus journey in the morning :)

All i can say is i have friday off and I can't wait. Hope the long bus journey went pleasantly (and was not filled with annoying people that pester you)

Also the lounge with derek byrne on phantom on a sunday night is the best radio show out there.

J'approve. and J'recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I remember when Fridays used to be awesome.

Now they're just the last day of the week I can pick up my dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Since I've spent the evening giving out about things that aren't funny, I thought I'd post something that definitely is:

The new girl talk album is worth the hype. You can download it legally from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Scien wrote: »
    In other news, Lykke Li will be visiting in April. €20 is pretty reasonable and she's supposed to be amazing live.

Saw her at EP last year and was really impressed. Might go to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Loving the new Girl Talk album. Who'd have thought mixing Fugazi and Rihanna together would work so well?

Anyone else incredibly excited to be seeing LCD Soundsystem this weekend??

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I really like the ELO mashup and the Daft Punk/Missy Elliot one.It's a good album so far, well, good fun.
    Yes, I am very excited.Sunday still hasn't sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Kid V wrote: »
    Anyone else incredibly excited to be seeing LCD Soundsystem this weekend??

I'm not incredibly excited cause I've so much ahead of me this weekend that it's daunting, but when I'm in Tripod, have had a few beers and they arrive onstage I'll be giddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I must check out this Girl Talk album then.

Cannot wait for LCD myself - successfully missed all their gigs in Ireland so far.

I was beginning to think I was losing my edge........ :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Right have Girl Talk downloading, see what all this fuss is about!

What's everyone up to for the weekend?

I just found out Scientist is playing The Twisted Pepper tonight, worth a look for anyone into Dub, think I'll wander in.

smokedeels wrote: »
    What's everyone up to for the weekend?

I just found out Scientist is playing The Twisted Pepper tonight, worth a look for anyone into Dub, think I'll wander in.

Really? Excellent. Where did you hear this? Only thing I can see in the Twisted Pepper tonight is Bomb The Music Industry. Are they playing as part of that.

Was going to go to the free Paranoid Visions gig tonight but might head to that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Twee. wrote: »
    Right have Girl Talk downloading, see what all this fuss is about!

It's fun, but it's exhausting, after a while it just feels like he's stacking up samples just to see how many he can throw in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Since I've spent the evening giving out about things that aren't funny, I thought I'd post something that definitely is:

That's genius Jeff, thought you might like this, not really along the same lines but good all the same.

It's fun, but it's exhausting, after a while it just feels like he's stacking up samples just to see how many he can throw in there.
    Yea, I felt the same tbh. It seems like he's running a race or something.
    Still enjoyable though.

Didn't go to Scientist in the end. Went to see Mad Pooka in Gypsy Rose. Saw half of their last song. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I thought it wasn't as intense as his previous efforts. Some parts only have 2 or 3 layers to them which brings him to the formulaic level of beat-matching mash-up artists which I thought he was better than. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album but because he talked up how it was going to bring something totally new and fresh to the table, you kind of fell like it's a step backwards when presented with the final product.

In other news, I'm going to see War of the Worlds with my parents on Monday week. I should be ashamed but really I can't ****ing wait!

• Advertisement

I think the reason i like the girl talk album so much is i heard none of the build up hype. I literally got it from Dbyrne's twitter, downloaded it and think it's ace.

I'd agree with jill to some degree that at times he just seems to hammer you with samples. But i do love old school hip hop and loved some of the mixes more because of this. The bust a move one especially.

Advertisement