Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleepwalker Gets €10m award

Options
  • 10-11-2010 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Louth sleep walker begins libel action
    A Co Louth businessman who sleepwalked naked to the bedroom of a company secretary while on a business trip to Mozambique has begun a libel action against the mining company Kenmare Resources.

Donal Kinsella claims that a press release issued by the company in 2007 made him a 'national and international laughing stock' and insinuated that he was guilty of sexual impropriety.

An investigation initiated by the company cleared him of any wrong doing.

The 67-year-old from Dunleer, Co Louth, apologised to secretary Deirdre Corcoran after appearing three times at her bedroom door during the night while on a business trip to Mozambique in May 2007.

He had been drinking and taking pain killers and had a habit of sleep walking and not wearing pyjamas, the court heard.

Mr Kinsella was later removed as chairman of the audit committee and as a director of the company.

The case continues tomorrow.

Full Article; http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1109/kinsellad.html

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Now I know why the wife gives me whiskey with my solpadiene. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Now I know why the wife gives me whiskey with my solpadiene. :pac:

Now I know why mine doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Kinsella and Prendeville should get together and start a support group. Call it "sleep wa*kers anonymous" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'm going on a painkiller and pints binge.

Hopefully some hilarity will ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Good reason to wear pyjamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Sleep walking's a pretty frightening idea. I've kicked the **** out of midgets in dreams.

Read in the PI forum before some guy starts coming onto his girlfriend in his sleep. So if the kids want to sleep in parents bed after a bad dream etc he has to sleep downstairs.

On the other hand ''Sorry I jizzed on your face.... I was sleepwalking boss!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sleep walking's a pretty frightening idea.

Bumps in the Night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yer man was just awarded €10,000,000 in damages. Biggest libel award in Irish history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Unbelieveable stuff from the Irish Courts - That payout will keep him in booze and pills for a while though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That will be appealed. It'll have to be.

Until then I'm booking a hotal room and shall go for a stroll Commando style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sleepwalker Donal Kinsella gets €10 MILLION award. www.rte.ie/news. What yous think?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A Co Louth businessman who took a libel action against his former employers after an incident in which he sleep walked naked has been awarded €10m in damages.

The jury agreed that a press release sent out by mining company Kenmare Resources in July 2007 insinuated that Donal Kinsella had made inappropriate sexual advances to company secretary Deirdre Corcoran on a business trip in Mozambique in May that year.
    The award is the highest award of damages for defamation in the history of the State.
    It is more than five times the €1.87m awarded to communications consultant Monica Leech in June 2009.
    Lawyers for Kenmare Mining Resources were granted a stay on the award pending an appeal to the Supreme Court.
    Mr Justice Eamon De Valera put a stay on the award with the exception of €500,000.

Senior Counsel Bill Shipsey said the award was 'off the Richter scale' and it was inconceivable that it would not be set aside by the Supreme Court.
    Lawyers for Mr Kinsella told the jury today that the press release would mean to an ordinary person that 'something juicy' was going on in the jungle and that Mr Kinsella had tried to 'jump the company secretary'.
    In May 2007, the 67-year-old from Dunleer was on a business trip in Mozambique.
    He appeared naked three times at the bedroom door of Ms Corcoran during the night.
    The court heard that he had been drinking and taking painkillers and had a habit of sleep walking and not wearing pyjamas.
    Ms Corcoran later complained and an investigation was carried out by a solicitor who found that Mr Kinsella was simply sleep walking.
    After an inquiry from the editor of the Irish Daily Mirror, John Kierans, the company issued a press release in July 2007. Mr Kinsella said the press release defamed him.

Lawyers for the company told the jury today that it had tried to sort out the problem amicably.
    Mr Kinsella had been asked to step aside as the chairman of the company's audit committee so that Ms Corcoran would not have to have one-to-one contact with him.
    But Senior Counsel Oisín Quinn said Mr Kinsella could not understand another person's point of view.
    Mr Quinn said there was no malice in the press release that had been issued.

He said the company behaved properly in difficult circumstances that were not of its own making.
    Lawyers for Mr Kinsella urged the jury to award his client big damages and said the company had aggravated matters by accusing Mr Kinsella of being a liar and a perjurer.
    The 2009 Defamation Act allows the Supreme Court on the hearing of an appeal from a decision of the High Court to substitute an amount of damages it considers appropriate.
    However, this case was taken before the new act came into force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Public exposure pays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sleepwalker Donal Kinsella gets €10award. www.rte.ie/news. What yous think?

I think I'd have to read the original press release before commenting. As regards the 10mill, its excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

/drops trou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bonerm wrote: »
    /drops trou.

/shouts 'Get them on ye'

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Guys what would the following suggest to you?:

Donal, sleep walking and bo**ck-naked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Guys what would the following suggest to you?:

Donal, sleep walking and bo**ck-naked

Legend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What an idiot. You'd think if he has a tendency to sleepwalk he'd wear some fúcking pajamas or something, even if just for the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

*Whips it out, waits for someone to give €10m*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Eamon DeValera is alive?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He was drinking & taking painkillers on the night in question.

I wonder how much Neil Prendergast is planning on claiming for after seeing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Damages paid in these cases are determined by a jury, so they're famously excessive. You could be rendered blind and deaf and entirely limbless in an accident and not recoup near that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Maybe we can get Cowan to walk into Merkels room in the nip a few times to sort our debts out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It's a total and utter disgrace!!! Once is a mistake but 3 times - there is something off there!!!

10m is BEYOND EXCESSIVE - it's just disgusting!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

What an idiot. You'd think if he has a tendency to sleepwalk he'd wear some fúcking pajamas or something, even if just for the hotel.

He just scammed 10 million for sleepwalking. The man is no idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Damages paid in these cases are determined by a jury, so they're famously excessive. You could be rendered blind and deaf and entirely limbless in an accident and not recoup near that amount.

If you were blind, deaf & limbless, how would you know how much you were awarded?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

If you were blind, deaf & limbless, how would you know how much you were awarded?

Genuine question.

Anne Sullivan Foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

" I swear your honor, I didn't mean to jump into that young girl's bed...I was sleepwalking."

I'll have to remember that one next time I'm staying in a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Genuine question.

Well you might not know but it's not announced in secret to only the plaintiff. So other people in the court, for example relatives, friends and probably most importantly counsel would know. :) And in those cases, the damages tend to be rather specific; loss of future earnings, medical expenses, etc. So it'd be pretty much irrelevant how much you get as long as that stuff was covered. Anyway, this is purely hypothetical; it's just an example I used to show the vast difference between the compensation for personal injuries and for defamation.

Advertisement