Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

• 08-11-2010 1:15am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jill just for you, random chatter for all the regs.

The point of this thread is to say whatever you want, but while still be nice. Off topic threads ftw!

I'm pretty thrilled after the weekend, United 2 points off top, and just laughing my ass off at Mark Lamarr on Buzzcocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Aw. I'm touched. In an embarrassingly sincere modern Indie kind of way. :p

Lamarr was great. I dunno though, after Simon Amstell, he feels a bit tame. Speaking of which, his absence from the newer episodes is painful. What's Mark Lamarr up to now, actually?

In other news, yesterday, I bought both a giant furry hat and a check shirt, and after considering both purchases carefully and giving the matter some thought, I've concluded that it's time to lay off the aul' Bon Iver for a bit. It's evidently affecting my lifestyle choices.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I love Amstell. I loved him on pop world. Remember the pop world pony interviewing the strokes. Or the one question for one of the gallaghers? Gold.

Bon Iver or Don Ivor as i once heard him referred to at one of his gigs by a (true) fan is a good choice for a winter wardrobe model. The girl lumberjack look is rocking this Autumn/Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Does the Workman's Club open on Mondays? I think I lost my MP3 player in there on Saturday night.

Does the Workman's Club open on Mondays? I think I lost my MP3 player in there on Saturday night.

Balls, ya that upstairs part is a regular bar.
    Here's the number:+353 (0) 1 670 6692

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Lamarr was great. I dunno though, after Simon Amstell, he feels a bit tame. Speaking of which, his absence from the newer episodes is painful. What's Mark Lamarr up to now, actually?

I gave up on the guest-host era Buzzcocks. It's not only the lack of a constant host, Amstell wrote the gags too, the content/delivery have both become poor for me.

I do feel for Phil Jupitus, he's the typical lad in the job who'll never get a promotion but remains there amid mass turnover.

On the subject of British "alt" comedy, I forgot that this was out.... http://tinyurl.com/33y6w53

I think I'll top up the 3v card and order a copy, love the Mission of Burma song reference.

I remember a few years ago I was smoking outside Roisin Dubh in Galway before a Stewart Lee gig and Mr. Lee approached me having noticed I had a Fall badge affixed to my jacket and we preceded to talk about how his kid was named after a Nick Cave song, I was delighted, the man's a legend.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    I gave up on the guest-host era Buzzcocks. It's not only the lack of a constant host, Amstell wrote the gags too, the content/delivery have both become poor for me.

I do feel for Phil Jupitus, he's the typical lad in the job who'll never get a promotion but remains there amid mass turnover.

On the subject of British "alt" comedy, I forgot that this was out.... http://tinyurl.com/33y6w53

I think I'll top up the 3v card and order a copy, love the Mission of Burma song reference.

I remember a few years ago I was smoking outside Roisin Dubh in Galway before a Stewart Lee gig and Mr. Lee approached me having noticed I had a Fall badge affixed to my jacket and we preceded to talk about how his kid was named after a Nick Cave song, I was delighted, the man's a legend.

I still love Amsell for the whole Preston episode. Preston come back we're having fun...

From wiki - Lamarr is just doing his radio shows on bbc radio at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

lordgoat wrote: »
    I still love Amsell for the whole Preston episode. Preston come back we're having fun...

Ah yes, comedy gold if only all such irritating bands were so easy to get rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Amstell was better than Lamarr, but I liked both on the show. Lamarr always seemed nastier in his approach but Amstell is still very cutting. I love watching people being ripped on. The episode with that young fella from Coronation St. was a right laugh. Fair play to him, cause he gave back as good as Simon insulted, slaggin his bad research into a joke.

Has the Jedward episode been on yet? I never see it anymore cause I have only poverty 1 & 2.

Amstell was better than Lamarr, but I liked both on the show. Lamarr always seemed nastier in his approach but Amstell is still very cutting. I love watching people being ripped on. The episode with that young fella from Coronation St. was a right laugh. Fair play to him, cause he gave back as good as Simon insulted, slaggin his bad research into a joke.

Has the Jedward episode been on yet? I never see it anymore cause I have only poverty 1 & 2.

there's a jedtard episode? off to youtube i go...

Mother of God.

Bastards just made me burn my toast.

So that's what Elisa Doolittle is. She's very pretty.

• Advertisement

06:45 into part 2 of the jedward episode, one of the twins starts running along the desk screaming, check out Phil Jupitus's face, he looks genuinely embarrassed for the lad, they're 19 years old, yeah? ffs.

06:45 into part 2 of the jedward episode, one of the twins starts running along the desk screaming, check out Phil Jupitus's face, he looks genuinely embarrassed for the lad, they're 19 years old, yeah? ffs.

Keep going it gets worse! When Jupitus screams shut up for the first time check out the look on Charlie Hitchsons face. Scares the bejaysus out of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Towards the very end they look they're properly going to cry, one even whispers something to the other when they're slagged.It was lovely.I think David O Doherty is presenting it at some stage, I'll check that one out.

Is Tremors with Kevin Bacon possibly the greatest movie ever? Discuss.

Is Tremors with Kevin Bacon possibly the greatest movie ever? Discuss.

Hmm, it's a 'Yes' with an 'if...' or 'No' with a 'but...'.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

love that movie .... its been a long time since I seen it but yes it is a classic!

but no probably not the greatest ever! - very close!

They're under the frickin ground.

What's the greatest "bad film" of all time?
    My vote goes to Bio Dome.

The most recent one I saw that springs to mind is the Nicholas Cage remake of Wicker Man. It feels like it lasts about eight hours, and four of those hours are spent watching Nicholas Cage either punch a load of girls or cycling about a bit. I'm sure most of ye have seen the highlights on Youtube, but man, that's not even the half of it. It makes no sense at all and at one point he's dressed as a bear.

In conclusion, Nicholas Cage is the very worst actor on planet earth.

The most recent one I saw that springs to mind is the Nicholas Cage remake of Wicker Man. It feels like it lasts about eight hours, and four of those hours are spent watching Nicholas Cage either punch a load of girls or cycling about a bit. I'm sure most of ye have seen the highlights on Youtube, but man, that's not even the half of it. It makes no sense at all and at one point he's dressed as a bear.

I'm sorry but the bee scene in this movie is amazing.

Ah the bees they're all over my eyes.

I too hate Nick Cage. However I really liked him in Bad Lieutenant but that's a very weird movie...

bio Dome - Pauly's finest hour...

Another personal favourite of mine is Big Trouble in Little China, hell anything with K-Russ is immense.

• Advertisement

I like when they're putting the bees on him, and he makes a gurgling noise. As if he's drowning, in bees. Way to sell it, man, way to sell it.

I only saw Tremors recently, and everybody around me was distressed and alarmed to know that I'd missed out on it for so long. It was a ton of fun, but then Fred Ward is always a good omen.

Big Trouble in Little China is legendary. I must dust off the DVD for a rewatch.

Just got tickets to see this man in Galway this weekend.

Bonus: SFA Fav (plus gonna see Matt Berry from this vid in Galway soon)

bio Dome - Pauly's finest hour...

http://www.lamebook.com/not-so-shore/not-so-shore/

I hope this is legit.
    Another personal favourite of mine is Big Trouble in Little China, hell anything with K-Russ is immense.

Love Escapee from NY/LA.

Just got tickets to see this man in Galway this weekend.

Bonus: SFA Fav (plus gonna see Matt Berry from this vid in Galway soon)

I'm going to Matt Berry's Dublin date, If Gruff Rhys is around Ireland this weekend I wonder if he will show up at the Gorillaz gig this Thursday since he's on the new album doing this...

What's the greatest "bad film" of all time?

At the moment it's this:

Anyone seen Troll 2? I haven't but it looks like it's right up there.

Damn not being able to see youtubes in work.

This evening when i get home i shall post up links to some of the greatest bad movies ever.

Matt Berry is hilarious.

Anyone seen Troll 2? I haven't but it looks like it's right up there.

I think I have it on DVD somewhere. It's certainly work a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I most certainly agree. The Wicker Man remake is gloriously bad. I saw it in the cinema and burst out laughing so many times.

This is just too funny!

I think 'The Happening' with Mark Wahlberg is worse/better though

and then

but mainly this little beauty

All brilliant in their own special ways...

The first film is called Gymkata.

• Advertisement

Kid V wrote: »
    I think 'The Happening' with Mark Wahlberg is worse/better though

The scene where Mark Wahlberg is talking to a plastic plant is comedic gold (sadly it's not on youtube)

Advertisement