Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You happy about that ledger?

Oh kitty kearnans closed today. Yet another victim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

What, Kitty's is after closing,i was only in there Saturday and they usually have a good crowd in there,one of my favourite pubs in the town

You'll need to find a new one :-(

^ Or just stay at home,what about the off licence next door that hardly closed too?

I'd doubt it. Was it connected?

• Advertisement

Yeah it looked like it was,the bar staff would serve in both the off licence and pub,and there is a door going from one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

dayshah wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.

Twister vics is fairly close to the cinema, so maybe you can do something that links in with people going to the cinema, or leaving. Maybe some advertising in Storm, or some cooperation for mid-week.

If you drove into town, had 1 pint, and then watched a film would the alcohol be out of the system by the end of the film?

the limit is 2pints 3hrs to clear it out, handier bring a flaggon in flix :)..

DjBryn wrote: »
    the limit is 2pints 3hrs to clear it out, handier bring a flaggon in flix :)..

Or some aldi mini bottles. I remember watching scary movie 2 with a load of bottles. Left thinking it was the funniest film I had ever seen. Until I watched it again sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was it a planned closure? Was up there on Friday and it certainly didn't have the atmosphere of a place that was going to close in a few days time - fire lighting and regulars chatting away!

At 8:30 on a Sunday night in Oskars they were drinking away as normal. At 9 o clock it was closed...

Dunno if it was planned or not...who knows what goes on behind the scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Exstatic. Not about Kitty's though. :(
    ^ Or just stay at home,what about the off licence next door that hardly closed too?

The off licence was doing an absolute cracking trade, I'd find it really difficult to see the O/L closing too.

Wasn't long ago when the owner was telling us all about a new nite club they were opening that would be a breath of fresh air for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Wasn't long ago when the owner was telling us all about a new nite club they were opening that would be a breath of fresh air for the city

yeah I remember that, that's why I was even more surprised to hear you say it was closed down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Sickening thing is I only really started stopping off there for one in the last few months. Went in there the night of me stag too and it was some laugh.

Pity to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Walked past Kitty's, think I saw a sign saying it will open up under new management. So it'll prob be up and running again soon enough.

who knows what goes on behind the scenes

You usually do :p

iseegirls wrote: »
    Walked past Kitty's, think I saw a sign saying it will open up under new management. So it'll prob be up and running again soon enough.

Yeah there is a sign on the window saying 'opening up soon,under new management'.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

IIRC the old cinema had a similar sign when they closed down. I took it then as a prevention to stop someone doing over the place but then again maybe they are reopening. Point being, in this climate I wouldn't count on anything.

AdMMM wrote: »
    You usually do :p

I dont know whether to thank ya or slap ya haha. Waterford's nightlife is just a hobby of mine :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think a problem with Twister Vicks is that it was too open plan. It needed a fair crowd to have some atmosphere.

In contrast Geoffs has lots of nooks and crannies, so you don't notice as much when its empty.

• Advertisement

I think that has been the problem with a lot of the bars designed over the past decade. Oskars, Revolution, The Tower, O'Gradys Yard etc all look very bare when there's not many people there.

The Bowery when it first reopened had allot of nooks too though. It was deadly, pity the place really went downhill thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Yeah there is a sign on the window saying 'opening up soon,under new management'.
    Translated="When we find somebody to rent it,pub will reopen".

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

In relation to Kittys, The Ol and the bar are totally seperate. There used to be a door that joined the two and when it was leased previously both the OL and the bar were leased together. The last time Kittys was leased only the bar was leased so the two were not connected. The same gentleman still owns both business but had a falling out with the current lease holder.

Passed by today and there were workmen in the bar and the OL was trading as usual. Hopefully the bar will re-open soon

I heard a rumour that Alfies on Barrack St is going to be leased out to Billy Ryan,anybody know if its true?

Have to say that The Exchange are pretty brave to call their new restaurant, which is located right beside the Garda Station, The Hairy Pig! €10 for a carvery and pint :o

Have to say that The Exchange are pretty brave to call their new restaurant, which is located right beside the Garda Station, The Hairy Pig! €10 for a carvery and pint :o

Lol yeah I seen that,great name though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    The Bowery when it first reopened had allot of nooks too though. It was deadly, pity the place really went downhill thereafter.

One of my favourite places to go in Waterford. I do miss it.

Sully wrote: »
    One of my favourite places to go in Waterford. I do miss it.
    It has been bought, or so I've been told. Sean Johnston was the name given to me. He owns the Tycor Business Park, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It has been bought, or so I've been told. Sean Johnston was the name given to me. He owns the Tycor Business Park, I believe.

Just a rumour perhaps? I saw they painted it recently, but the For Sale signs are still up. I assumed the council asked them to clean it up. Been a few rumours over the years about apparent sellers taking it.

Wonder would it re-open as a nightclub if it was bought.

Advertisement