Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with the clocks going back...

Options
  • 31-10-2010 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

For the second year running I have gotten it wrong with the clocks going back and am in work an hour early...

Seriously....who's stupid idea was it anyway!!

Wouldn't mind only I finished work at 11.30 pm last night...20 min drive home..asleep by 12.30am then up at what I though was 6am to be in work for 7.30am only to arrive in the door and be told its only 6.30am!!

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think you, my friend, are the stupid one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Back to the future! (Fall back, Spring forward)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Let's do the TimeWarp again...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dances with the closest Teddy Bare (or dances in my teddy... I get fused when it's late)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If I could turn back time, if I could find a way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Boards.ie could also change the time :-)

You just did :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

It got me as well. Was up and ready to come into work an hour early.

Luckily, I turned on the laptop to check my emails, and lo and behold, I'd gone back in time.

Had I remembered the clocks were going back, I may have been tempted to head out last night and take advantage of the extra hour in bed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

Yes, another one here! I set my alarm clock for 8am - but was woken by the radio presenter saying "Good morning, here is the news at 7" in that very cheery voice that all the early morning presenters use....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The channel surfing strip thingy on UPC is still showing at yesterday's time :confused:

Make it ssssssssssstop :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

xzanti wrote: »
    The channel surfing strip thingy on UPC is still showing at yesterday's time :confused:

Make it ssssssssssstop :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know so confusing- but the programmes are correct. Took me ages to figure out what time it actually was!!!

By the way OP, totally off topic, but that's a very short time between finishing and starting work again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If only Picard Fails werent such a cliche.................

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's hard to know if they actually go back since everything automatically updates itself :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's hard to know if they actually go back since everything automatically updates itself :confused:

I never know what time to set my alarm on my phone for the night before.

Set it for the normal time, assuming the phone updates itself?
    Set if for an hour more, assuming the phone doesn't update itself?
    If the phone updates itself, does it change the alarm too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I never know what time to set my alarm on my phone for the night before.

Set it for the normal time, assuming the phone updates itself?
    Set if for an hour more, assuming the phone doesn't update itself?
    If the phone updates itself, does it change the alarm too?

Hm
    If you wanted to be up at 7, and set it for 7, either... the phone updates and goes back an hour but you're still up at 7 new time, or the phone doesn't update in which case you're up an hour early?
    I guess you're safe either way, it's nice to wake up early and appreciate the lie in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Just remember the rule spring forward, fall back. So you will always know whether to go an hour ahead or behind. You still have to remember when to change though :D

On a similar note, my dad once told me that when he was a kid it was common for Sunday mass to be held twice on weekends the times changed. So that people couldn't use it as an excuse to miss mass - Sly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Time to start preparing for next March. Here's what's happening.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=78&year=2011

Truley wrote: »
    On a similar note, my dad once told me that when he was a kid it was common for Sunday mass to be held twice on weekends the times changed. So that people couldn't use it as an excuse to miss mass - Sly!

You know you're doing something wrong when people are looking for any excuse to miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

What are you grumbling about? You had an extra hour in bed.
    ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

Save that for the last Sunday in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Sweet baby jesus. AH is being taken over by 3 year olds. Lock this thread, please.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm confused now! If the time change "confused" the OP (rather than them simply forgetting about it) it would seem that they put their clock forward ?

Wouldn't that mean they were in work 2 hours early ?

In that case, OP, be glad that they did go back because if you were only an hour early then you would have been late for work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Godsentme wrote: »
    Sweet baby jesus. AH is being taken over by 3 year olds. Lock this thread, please.:mad:

Step 1. Go back to bed
    Step 2. Get up on the right side this time (take an optional extra hour if necessary - the clocks went back).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

op, get off the internet and do some good-damn work, no wonder the country is crippled !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Shortly after I turned 17 I shipped myself off to college away from home. It was my first time away, and I underestimated the experience of being on my own in a strange place knowing absolutely nobody. I hated it.

I went home at the weekends and valued that time immensely. So in October when the clocks went back I was very happy to have the extra hour at home.

This is how I remember which way the clocks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

havana wrote: »

By the way OP, totally off topic, but that's a very short time between finishing and starting work again!!!

The joys of being a hotel receptionist....!!!

And even after reading all these posts I'm still confused...why cant they just leave time alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

For the second year running I have gotten it wrong with the clocks going back and am in work an hour early...

Seriously....who's stupid idea was it anyway!!

Wouldn't mind only I finished work at 11.30 pm last night...20 min drive home..asleep by 12.30am then up at what I though was 6am to be in work for 7.30am only to arrive in the door and be told its only 6.30am!!

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but if you're not already aware, your employer should be giving you a consecutive 11 hr break between shifts every 24 hours. It's actually illegal for you to be assigned a shift that ends at 11:30pm on a Saturday night and then have you rostered at 7:30am the next morning.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/workinghours/

(Unless you work in an industry with an ERO to the contrary - I admit I'm not familiar with all of them...)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Yeah I had heard of that before but seemily hotels are different. :(

Something about Joint Labour Comittees....Yet another thing I dont understand, I know I just have to go along with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

And even after reading all these posts I'm still confused...why cant they just leave time alone!!
    At 1am in the autumn it goes an hour BACK. At 1am in the spring it goes an hour FORWARD. Check the time on sky news after that if you're still confused. :)

I think next spring they should put it forward half an hour and then leave it alone FOREVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Yeah I had heard of that before but seemily hotels are different. :(

Something about Joint Labour Comittees....Yet another thing I dont understand, I know I just have to go along with it!

Sorry, I hadn't spotted that you work in a hotel. There is an ERO for hotels, but http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/industryspecificinformation/hotels/
    seems to say that the 11hr rule still applies. Might be worth a call to NERA if it's something that is bothering you, just to confirm what the correct break between shifts is for you (and your colleagues)

And again, sorry for the off topic post.

Back on topic:

Was anyone else confused by how some people who relied on their iPhone alarm managed to be an hour late for work after the clocks went back? Surely if the phone didn't update for the change their alarms would have gone off an hour early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Anyone travelling to Iran be sure to turn your clocks back 1200 years :rolleyes:

Advertisement