Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when is all the galway takeaways going to be boarded up

• 21-10-2010 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

they seem to be sprouting up everywhere at the minute - chippers, kebab houses, etc.

do they not realise that very very soon people will not be going out to purchase fast food - maybe they might get the odd bag of chips at the weekend as a treat, but with more cuts coming how long will it take for these places to pack up and board up the premises.

the only one that will probably survive is Supermacs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

they seem to be sprouting up everywhere at the minute - chippers, kebab houses, etc.

do they not realise that very very soon people will not be going out to purchase fast food - maybe they might get the odd bag of chips at the weekend as a treat, but with more cuts coming how long will it take for these places to pack up and board up the premises.

the only one that will probably survive is Supermacs.

Aren't the take aways mean to be doing well now. Old Pat came out and said families aren't going out for dinner anymore because of the price and settle on take out as a cheap alternative and treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Fast Food thrives in a recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

after December you will only be having a takeaway as a treat - maybe once a month. We will all be going back to cooking at home (which is a good thing). I bet three quarters of these places will be closed down in a year. Why do you think they are going mad putting fliers in peoples door's all of a sudden - all trying to beat the other guy - I never had as much junk fast food mail than I have had in the last six months.

People will not be going out to bars to drink like they used to either.

Wait till this time next year - it will be a ghost town.

McTigs wrote: »
    Fast Food thrives in a recession

not in a way that you need a fast food joint on every corner. Most of them will close.

I don't know. I have lived in the city for about 7 years at this stage and haven't noticed too much of an increase. Actually I think I'm getting less than I did a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement

Things are supposed to be very bad at the moment and its made no difference so I cant see more fairly small cuts in comparison with whats gone before making much difference. The take aways will still be packed out on a Friday and Saturday night after the pubs and clubs close which is probably enough to keep them in business.

Pubs getting quite at weekends is being threatened for a long time now, and town is still packed on the weekends.

Also despite a lot of what is said in the media there are still plenty of people who are not being overly effected by the recession, no doubt a lot of people are suffering but not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

People will always buy fast food, especially in Ireland.

• People have been saying that the country is close to collapse for the past few years - that unemployment is near 14%.

That still means 86% of people are working.

And what harm is it if some people start businesses that fail - people starting businesses is what we want and need to get that 10% back to work.

People have been saying that the country is close to collapse for the past few years - that unemployment is near 14%.

And what harm is it if some people start businesses that fail - people starting businesses is what we want and need to get that 10% back to work.

Well, 86% of employable people (ie, 18-64, not students, not disabled, not SAH parents etc)

(I know you know this but a lot of other people don't understand how unemployment is calculated)

The problem with a lot of business startups is that people are being encouraged by the government to try to start businesses with the redundancy payments they've gotten and what savings they've managed when honestly the best thing for most people individually would be to simply emigrate.

Opening a business in the current economic climate is an exercise in alturism - but not one that is likely to come without casualties.

People have been saying that the country is close to collapse for the past few years - that unemployment is near 14%.

hilarious post :D:D

• Advertisement

well if what ye are all saying is true, then I think the best spot to put up the next kebab shop would be next door to the dole office - we could call it the "one stop shop" Collect your dole and head straight for your kebab for all the family.
    :p

well if what ye are all saying is true, then I think the best spot to put up the next kebab shop would be next door to the dole office - we could call it the "one stop shop" Collect your dole and head straight for your kebab for all the family.
    :p
    If they had a live feed of what ticket they were calling, it would work incredibly well.

Xiney wrote: »
    Opening a business in the current economic climate is an exercise in alturism - but not one that is likely to come without casualties.

It's a risk but I'm sure there are also some great oppurtunities to be had too. Gamble and lose big or gamble and win big. Look at all the companies that would have set up during the last recession that were then in the right place at the right time.

or...or...they could just give the dole money in fast food vouchers vouchers instead - that way they don't even have to worry bout counting out the right amount of money, and all the healthy sh*t shops can close down, because we all know fast food flourishes in a recession. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

No, it means that Live Register figures show 'unemployment' rate of 14%. THey are people claiming JA or JB.

What about all those not entitled to claim benefits who are not included in the 14%. I'd say the figure is closer to 18%. I don't have figures to back that up, it's a guesstimate.

• soundbyte wrote: »
    No, it means that Live Register figures show 'unemployment' rate of 14%. THey are people claiming JA or JB.

What about all those not entitled to claim benefits who are not included in the 14%. I'd say the figure is closer to 18%. I don't have figures to back that up, it's a guesstimate.
    There are different ways to measure it - I quoted the Central Statistics Office's Seasonally Adjusted Standarised Unemployment Rate of 13.7% which is based on the Quarterly National Household Survey.

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/sasunemprates.htm
    http://www.cso.ie/qnhs/core_outputs_qhns.htm
    What is the QNHS?
    The Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) is a large-scale, nationwide survey of households in Ireland. It is designed to produce quarterly labour force estimates that include the official measure of employment and unemployment in the state (ILO basis).

This is far more reliable than a guesstimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Things are supposed to be very bad at the moment and its made no difference so I cant see more fairly small cuts in comparison with whats gone before making much difference. The take aways will still be packed out on a Friday and Saturday night after the pubs and clubs close which is probably enough to keep them in business.

Pubs getting quite at weekends is being threatened for a long time now, and town is still packed on the weekends.

Also despite a lot of what is said in the media there are still plenty of people who are not being overly effected by the recession, no doubt a lot of people are suffering but not everyone.

Well said.

We'll be limited to a bag of chips as a TREAT on the weekend??? What the...

As someone else said, fast food thrives in a recession, as long as the places provide quality or perceived quality more like it.

If boards is anything to go by, the excitement in Galway around fast food, pizza, KFC etc is astonishing. There is i'd say about 10-15 threads per week about chips this or pizza that on the Galway forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Just came in to say the same, never saw a forum with such an interest in terrible food.

connollys wrote: »
    Just came in to say the same, never saw a forum with such an interest in terrible food.

it must have been interesting enough for you to pop into and read tho :D:D:D

okay, we'll watch and learn but if you honestly think that the govt are going to get 7BN out of us this year, yet we will all be queuing at the fast food joints to pay for something that we can make at home for quarter of the price, then ye are all far more optimistic than ye should be. I bet this time next year at least HALF the joints will be gone. But we'll wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

after December you will only be having a takeaway as a treat - maybe once a month. We will all be going back to cooking at home (which is a good thing). I bet three quarters of these places will be closed down in a year. Why do you think they are going mad putting fliers in peoples door's all of a sudden - all trying to beat the other guy - I never had as much junk fast food mail than I have had in the last six months.

I see where you're coming from but if this was ever going to happen it would have happened already. I've been telling anyone who'll listen ( :pac:) that people have not been able to cut back significantly in their expenditure the last 1-2 years, but instead give the appearance of doing so. for instance there's been a huge increase in bikes on campus in the last while - instead of daddy buying a car for his precious, they've been given high spec bikes which cost almost the same as a car (probably took advantage of the bike to work scheme as well tbh). Instead of eating in town more students seem to be eating in the canteen or bar, which can be slightly cheaper. Never mind that bringing your lunch would be a fraction of the price again. It is the illusion of cutting back that people are concerned about, and fast food is part of that - not going out for a meal but getting a burger and chips instead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

OP is some economic genius eh..

tbh people love to whinge about the recession, but in the last 2-3 years you could go out nearly any mon/wed/thurs and find loads of people out spending money in the clubs. Even Tuesdays this year have been busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Supermacs was started during the last recession in the 1980's.

Anyone remember Buck Rodgers on Prospect Hill? Home of the original Smokey Bacon burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

mike kelly wrote: »

Anyone remember Buck Rodgers on Prospect Hill? Home of the original Smokey Bacon burger.

Remember it well. A friend of mine used to work there. Major discount for us when he was on.:)

mike kelly wrote: »

where is buck rogers gone?

where is buck rogers gone?

Buck went back to outer space but he left many happy memories behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

okay, we'll watch and learn but if you honestly think that the govt are going to get 7BN out of us this year, yet we will all be queuing at the fast food joints to pay for something that we can make at home for quarter of the price, then ye are all far more optimistic than ye should be. I bet this time next year at least HALF the joints will be gone. But we'll wait and see.

Wow slow down, God in a few more pages you'll be saying I'll bet there will be twice as many fast food outlets here next year!!

But seriously OP have you anything to back up this sudden wipe-out of the Galway fast food market or is it just a gut feeling you have??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

connollys wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and don't look into BG&RH then...

But as I said before I would imagine a large amount of the money fast food places make is from people after a nights drinking. Have you seen what the queues are like for food in any of the places open, the queue is out the door and up the street for charcoal, both supermac's are always wedged etc and lets face it after a feed of pints people are not going to decide to go home and make something to eat, they are going to get the fastest most tasty thing they can get their hands on.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Wow slow down, God in a few more pages you'll be saying I'll bet there will be twice as many fast food outlets here next year!!

But seriously OP have you anything to back up this sudden wipe-out of the Galway fast food market or is it just a gut feeling you have??

gut feeling. wait and see.

• Advertisement

gut feeling. wait and see.

I had one hell of a gut feeling the last time I ate a coleslaw chip in Supermacs.

Advertisement