Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

AdMMM wrote: »
    The majority of students in WIT don't come from Waterford and initially rely on word of mouth in deciding where to go out. If they have a good night out in a place at the start of the year, chances are they'll still be heading there at the end of the year and will then be telling all their friends about it the year after. When compared to pubs and clubs in Ballygobackwards' in the arse end of nowhere in the likes of Tipperary, Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny, Harvey's emerges quite favourably.

It's a very hard cycle for anyone to break, especially when there seems to be a commercial association between Harveys and the Students Union who are always promoting events that are on in Harveys.

No Ballygobackwards in Waterford of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Icky Thump wrote: »
    ut the students union changes every year. you cant paint them all with the same brush. i agree that this harveys deal is really dodgy but you cant blame them for the union a couple years back buying a jeep for example

If it's more or less happened for the last 10 years (and longer), why should this year be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Adyx wrote: »
    If it's more or less happened for the last 10 years (and longer), why should this year be any different?

and in the last 10 years or so it would have been different degrees of laziness from the SU. that means that some where worse than others. or to put it correctly some where better than others. meaning that this SU could be worse or better. im not saying that this SU are amazing by any extent. im just saying that they arent the SU that screwed people over in the past. they have a year to do it and should only be judged on their actions this year. you may well have a point that history might be always repeating itself here but i believe in judging people on merit. give them a chance and see if they can do anything good(not just for you but the student body)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

im from imerick. its a bigger and busier city than waterford.

i can promiss you this. if you go to any bar in limerick at any hour youll find it very very difficult to find a drink that costs more than 5 euro!!!!

what f##king drink should be more than 5 euro?????

Harveys is a disgrace to pblicans everywhere. the idiots that go there need o let me know wheehey are finding their wads of cash that they can spend in this current climate.

you cant be serious???

what the hell do you see in that place. its a dive and its an expensive one.

I'm deadly serious, but what you fail to know from not posting here my friend that I detest Harvey's with the fire of 1000 suns. I mean truly hate the place.

However (and I keep saying this), I hang out with a group if a about 12 people and the ladies live Harveys and the lads love the ladies and off we go. I would rather spend a night in Downes. But when I'm out I like to go a little mental towards so the end of the night so if my kopperberg is €5 against €6.50 then my heart does I mentioned before smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A new over 21s bar is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

muldoons had an over 21's sign up for a while, look where that went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm deadly serious, but what you fail to know from not posting here my friend that I detest Harvey's with the fire of 1000 suns. I mean truly hate the place.

However (and I keep saying this), I hang out with a group if a about 12 people and the ladies live Harveys and the lads love the ladies and off we go. I would rather spend a night in Downes. But when I'm out I like to go a little mental towards so the end of the night so if my kopperberg is €5 against €6.50 then my heart does I mentioned before smile.

:D my respect for you has just gone sky high

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

They do make a mean skittles cocktail though tbf. If they were only €5 I'll dance.

and in the last 10 years or so it would have been different degrees of laziness from the SU. that means that some where worse than others. or to put it correctly some where better than others. meaning that this SU could be worse or better. im not saying that this SU are amazing by any extent. im just saying that they arent the SU that screwed people over in the past. they have a year to do it and should only be judged on their actions this year. you may well have a point that history might be always repeating itself here but i believe in judging people on merit. give them a chance and see if they can do anything good(not just for you but the student body)

Well there's not much they can do for me personally but I don't doubt the work they do on behalf of the students. While it may not be at the levels of 10 years ago, various venues have always provided "incentives" to WITSU to promote their venue. Anyway this all very OT and you're spot on about Harvey's. I'll never willingly set foot in there again, even if it means going home sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Living on the Rice Park end of castle street atm, and the noise coming up from Harveys is relentless and another reason I dont go there. Standing in the kitchen on a wednesday evening, and you can hear the women shotuing and roaring down there. Center of town never gave any trouble, its 30 seconds further and I dont hear a peep. Only gets more annoying when they stumble up my road, lost on their way to Riverwalk or Escape and then fall against my door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Under the Licenseing Act,A person over 18 cannot be refused entry on age.

Yeah and Travellers are supposed to be allowed in everywhere they go as well.

What I mean is, a bar that 18 year olds won't want to go into cause they won't be playing hip hop and dance.

^.Like Muldoons was before Tweedy destroyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

a whole new night life is needed

Was in Kilkenny few weeks ago and the town is busy from 9 pm onwards. Had great craic. Waterford doesn't get busy till about 1 in the morning.

Maybe it is l down to the fact that Waterford is one of the most badly hit cities in this recession.

Harveys masons and escape are spending big money (masons more than the other two) to attract students but how much can they be spending. €5? €10 a head? In many cases it's actually zero. They do all the drinking at home and come out to dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

fact! the students hit the town very late and buy a mixer generally to go with the bottle they have stashed somewhere, i hear socks is the new cool place to hide them and some will literally not even buy that, the amount of water that gets dished out is unreal

I should say of course that not every single student does this.

Except where the proprietor has a sign displayed at the door stating it's over 21's or whatever. Check the act again.

Adyx wrote: »
    Except where the proprietor has a sign displayed at the door stating it's over 21's or whatever. Check the act again.
    you are so mistaken or confused

Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003.

(4) If—

(a) the holder of a licence or other authorisation which permits the sale of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground.

I don't think so,

Would I be right in saying Harveys was over 21's when they first opened?

• Advertisement

Yep Harveys had an over 21 policy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Has Rubys and Muldoons reopened yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

kfallon wrote: »
    Has Rubys and Muldoons reopened yet?

No and probably won't be for a good while yet

passed by this morning, the work has started on Ruby's.

I think Muldoon's could be closed for upto a year i think.

Woodman should be open again in a few weeks I think

Woodman should be open again in a few weeks I think

owl-orly.jpg

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/20040580/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]ya-rly001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yup the woodman will be open soon, Not Rubys staying closed

Good i miss the Woodman, not rubys so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Yup the woodman will be open soon, Not Rubys staying closed

Does that include Rubys lounge or is it staying closed?

Advertisement