Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longrange predictions from abcd.com

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

We expect the cold to peak at the end of this month when the Earth-Moon distance is the shortest for the year, after which the extreme cold should start to abate. We think the combination of closer perigeal Moon through the winter months, plus cooler Sun, plus declination of Mercury is to blame for the extra and unexpected cold this winter in the northern hemisphere. In February, with the Moon in the south, the second and third weeks should be warmer, but spring minimums should rise only slowly, with frosts in some places continuing until the middle of April. This year should be cooler than average as the globe continues the cooling trend it has been experiencing over the past 9 years. Summer arrives for Ireland in the form of a fortnight of sunny weather from the last week of May onwards, then repeats a month later from the last week of June to the first week of July.
    You heard it here first..
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Gene Derm wrote: »
    We expect the cold to peak at the end of this month when the Earth-Moon distance is the shortest for the year, after which the extreme cold should start to abate. We think the combination of closer perigeal Moon through the winter months, plus cooler Sun, plus declination of Mercury is to blame for the extra and unexpected cold this winter. In February, with the Moon in the south, the second and third weeks should be warmer, but spring minimums should rise only slowly, with frosts in some places continuing until the middle of April. This year should be cooler than average as the globe continues the cooling trend it has been experiencing over the past 9 years. Summer arrives for Ireland in the form of a fortnight of sunny weather from the last week of May onwards, then repeats a month later from the last week of June to the first week of July.
    You heard it here first..
    regards
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Gene Derm,

Do you think the summer,as a whole, will on average be:

a. Generally warmer, drier and sunnier than the usual Irish summer? or
    b. Generally milder and wetter (like last summer)?

Same for spring?

I look forward to seeing if the specifics - as there are a lot of generalisations - in your forecast transpire i.e. the sunny fortnights, although if I was a gambling man I'd bet they most probably will - given may and june usually best chance of sun in Ireland, except for the first week in July.

Best of luck with your predictions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gene Derm

snow ghost wrote: »
    Gene Derm,

Do you think the summer,as a whole, will on average be:

a. Generally warmer, drier and sunnier than the usual Irish summer? or
    b. Generally milder and wetter (like last summer)?

Same for spring?

I look forward to seeing if the specifics - as there are a lot of generalisations - in your forecast transpire i.e. the sunny fortnights, although if I was a gambling man I'd bet they most probably will - given may and june usually best chance of sun in Ireland, except for the first week in August.

Best of luck with your predictions. :)
    (Actually it's Ken Ring here. I couldn't get into the forum under my own name so opted for 'Gene Derm').
    Hi Snow Ghost
    Yes, all forecasts are generalisations, even day by day ones, because weather is such an inexact science. That's because forecasting applies over an area of radius 80-100kms, even for services like Met Eireann. That is the accepted figure covering geographical and potential error factors. What I've given is something for other forecasters to comment on, add to, compare. I don't actually think I am saying the obvious, and I dispute that May is usually fine. 2009 wasn't. And in the Mays of 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005, Dublin saw rain on most days.
    Thanks anyway for the thumbs up.
    regards
    Ken Ring

Gene-Ken,

From Met Eireann's website:

Sunshine in Ireland</SPAN>
    hr.gif

"The sunniest months are May and June. During these months sunshine duration averages between 5 and 6.5 hours per day over most of the country. The extreme southeast gets the most sunshine, averaging over 7 hours a day in early summer. December is the dullest month with an average daily sunshine ranging from about 1 hour in the north to almost 2 hours in the extreme southeast. Over the year as a whole most areas get an average of between 3 1/4 and 3 3/4 hours of sunshine each day"

http://www.met.ie/climate/sunshine.asp

Also from experience,I can assure you that the best chance for prolonged sunshine in Ireland is May & June.

Regarding 'generalisations', I appreciate that weather forecasting is not an exact science and weather is dynamic.

I have an objective interest in all forms of forecasting - whether they be alternative, traditional or modern scientific. I also have an interest in language patterns.

I note that much long range alternative forecasting (e.g. Old Moore's Alnamac, etc) uses similar language patterns that clarvoyants use either conciously or unconciously ... i.e. they are so generalised that they can't be wrong.

For example, a Clarvoyant - looking into their crystal ball - may say to someone 'I see someone in a uniform' ... everyone knows someone in a uniform, whether it be a cop, nurse, security gaurd, fireman, school child, nurse, plumber, council worker, shop worker, hsopitality worker, factory worker in their fluros, etc, etc, etc... so they relate the person they know to what they are bing told.

Saying cold weather will peak and then get warmer is much the same.

I'm not doubting your ablities, just taking a healthy interest in how accurate they may be - as I would be with Met Eiureann - and for that I need to see more specific language so as to judge.

All the best :)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Gene-Ken,

I note that much long range alternative forecasting (e.g. Old Moore's Alnamac, etc) uses similar language patterns that clarvoyants use either conciously or unconciously ... i.e. they are so generalised that they can't be wrong.
    Saying cold weather will peak and then get warmer is much the same.
    I'm not doubting your ablities, just taking a healthy interest in how accurate they may be - as I would be with Met Eiureann - and for that I need to see more specific language so as to judge.
    All the best :)
    Take last year as an example. All year I was saying the summer would start on or near 7 September. It would then last for about two weeks. That's what happened. This month coming up I am saying there should be overnight snow around this month's New Moon then precipitation will dwindle to almost nothing, with a dry spell beginning on or near the 19th, although still staying cold. Around the end of the month will be the turning point. Snow may return in the first week of February but by the second and third weeks warmth and thawing should set in. Summer weather begins 25 May give or take a day, and lasts for two weeks, followed exactly a month later (a lunar cycle) by another summery fortnight. I can't be any more specific than that, other than naming weather conditions street by street and house by house.
    My aim is describing trends that are useful to farmers, event planners and outdoor tradesmen etc. My work is geared to their needs. I'm not too worried what people with desk jobs might think. As for your comment on clairvoyants etc, they all have their place. Doctors are also vague. They will say get plenty of exercise and plenty of rest. They will also say take this or that medication and the condition may clear up today, tomorrow or in a few days' time. I am saying likewise; it may clear up today, tomorrow or in a few days' time. So why is it okay for doctor to say that but not for me??
    cheers!
    Ken Ring

Gene-Ken,

Fair enough, your last post contains more specifics. :)

As for Clarvoyants - they use well known generalised language patterns to dupe people usually for money. This is well known. Some do it conciously, some unconciously.

There are lots of things in Heaven and Earth that science doesn't understand, clarvoyancy is understood to be nonsense... hence why the likes of Derren Brown - who isn't a clarvoyant - can do it to peoples' amazement more effectively than any clarvoyant. He uses ericksonian generalised language techniques and states that it is all nonsense.

Best of look with your weather predictions. :)

• Advertisement

BTW,

Last year In the West of Ireland, we had many weeks of continued sunny weather around May and June, weeks of it, summer started then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

[QUOTEThis year should be cooler than average as the globe continues the cooling trend it has been experiencing over the past 9 years

So whats this all about global warming then?

Im confused.....

[QUOTEThis year should be cooler than average as the globe continues the cooling trend it has been experiencing over the past 9 years
    So whats this all about global warming then?
    Im confused.....
    You're joking, of course..!
    The world is cooling - scientific and geological fact.
    The world is warming - political nonsense to justify increased taxation, supported by state-funded scientists who are asked to find evidence of warming. Check out
    http://assassinationscience.com/climategate/
    They are not asked to find no evidence.
    Look outside. Do you see any warming? No beaches in NZ or Australia are displaying rising sealevels. The poles are thickening. Google 'advancing glaciers'. Ask a geologist whether or not we are heading for the next ice age.
    Ken Ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

You're joking, of course..!
    The world is cooling - scientific and geological fact.
    The world is warming - political nonsense to justify increased taxation, supported by state-funded scientists who are asked to find evidence of warming. Check out
    http://assassinationscience.com/climategate/
    They are not asked to find no evidence.
    Look outside. Do you see any warming? No beaches in NZ or Australia are displaying rising sealevels. The poles are thickening. Google 'advancing glaciers'. Ask a geologist whether or not we are heading for the next ice age.
    Ken Ring

Ah OK so I can f**k my carbon footprint to reverse this? Excellent, thanks...

If you ask any plant about its carbon footprint its little plant-eyes will glaze over.
    Watch out plants, global warmers are coming to get you.
    Nature magazine: Trees cause global warming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnXToHGldxo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

Summer arrives for Ireland in the form of a fortnight of sunny weather from the last week of May onwards, then repeats a month later from the last week of June to the first week of July.

Does this mean we're not getting our few of weeks of good weather in September when the kids go back to school ?:p
    Thats almost a tradition at this stage.....a wet August for the end of the kids' summer holidays, then a great September when they return to school !!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

phantom60 wrote: »
    Does this mean we're not getting our few of weeks of good weather in September when the kids go back to school ?:p
    Thats almost a tradition at this stage.....a wet August for the end of the kids' summer holidays, then a great September when they return to school !!
    September has been over for two weeks

Ahhhhh.......
    Dunno what planet I'm on!!!
    I came across this thread from a link and just assumed it was a new one.
    I thought you were talking about the next year i.e. 12 months from now !!
    :o:o:o

Ahhhhh.......
    Dunno what planet I'm on!!!
    I came across this thread from a link and just assumed it was a new one.
    I thought you were talking about the next year i.e. 12 months from now !!
    :o:o:o
    No, this year's summer panned out the way we predicted, which bodes well for our mild winter outlook

Thats good news.
    Does a milder winter generally mean we won't get a good summer tho? Or are they unrelated ?

Thats good news.
    Does a milder winter generally mean we won't get a good summer tho? Or are they unrelated ?
    I think it will be an amazing summer, with 3 good dry holiday-like spells. I have put a summary of months ahead for Ireland free on my website
    www.predictweather.com
    It's either on the home page or in Articles, can't remember now! (I did it some months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mild Winter>????????:eek::eek::eek:

Youll have disappointed Ireland if that prediction is right. Theyr all hoping for snow.

Dont think myself that it will be anything like last winter but dont think it will be mild either. Probably Normal or a touch cooler. The fact that the temperatures are slightly higher than last year might indeed bode better for snow IMHO.

Kenring wrote: »
    I have put a summary of months ahead for Ireland free on my website
    www.predictweather.com

Thanks Ken. Just checked it out.
    I hope you're right! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Thanks Ken. Just checked it out.
    I hope you're right! ;)

Eh no Ken, hope you are wrong ! :D
    Who wants a non descript mild winter?

Given Ken predicted "rain on and off" during November 09 (in reality the island was nearly submerged in water) and given he also predicted the odd cold spell during winter 09/10 (it was the coldest winter since 1963), I am still gonna go with my gut feeling that winter 10/11 in Ireland will be colder than average with some decent spells of snow.

My gut instinct is that the gulf stream is slowing somewhat and this will allow a plunge of Russian / Arctic air across to Ireland in the months ahead. The East Coast will be particularly at risk of snowfall.

I agree with Ken in one respect, it will not be as cold as last winter however there will be more snow!

Derek

derekon wrote: »
    Eh no Ken, hope you are wrong ! :D
    Who wants a non descript mild winter?

Given Ken predicted "rain on and off" during November 09 (in reality the island was nearly submerged in water) and given he also predicted the odd cold spell during winter 09/10 (it was the coldest winter since 1963), I am still gonna go with my gut feeling that winter 10/11 in Ireland will be colder than average with some decent spells of snow.

My gut instinct is that the gulf stream is slowing somewhat and this will allow a plunge of Russian / Arctic air across to Ireland in the months ahead. The East Coast will be particularly at risk of snowfall.

I agree with Ken in one respect, it will not be as cold as last winter however there will be more snow!

Derek
    Last winter would have been a mild one if it wasn't for the continuance of solar minimum, tipped by all to end about 9 months before it actually did. As a result all countries in both hemispheres experienced a colder winter than usual. We all miscalculated this overlay, but we had no way of doing otherwise, as solar cycles have such large deviation. That is not the case this year. Plus, I did get the timing right of the precipitation days, which is what I claim the method is best equipped for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Last winter would have been a mild one if it wasn't for the continuance of solar minimum, tipped by all to end about 9 months before it actually did. As a result all countries in both hemispheres experienced a colder winter than usual. We all miscalculated this overlay, but we had no way of doing otherwise, as solar cycles have such large deviation. That is not the case this year. Plus, I did get the timing right of the precipitation days, which is what I claim the method is best equipped for.

Ok fair points Ken.

I am a bit of a novice at this (my wife thinks I am an expert!), and am probably blinded by some degree for my love of cold weather and snow in general.

What is the best time for snow in Eastern Ireland (I am located inland south Dublin not too far from the Dublin mountains but near sea level) in the upcoming winter ?

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow in Ireland is very difficult to predict even a couple of days beforehand and Derek I would reckon you have as much idea yourself as to when it will fall as any of the experts. Even if the forecasters predict a "bitterly cold" week in winter it still does not guarentee snow due to atmospheric variances and the temperature of the sea especially the Atlantic as well as the constant changing of pressure.

An East/Southeast/Northeast type wind is the most favorable one for bringing snow to the East coast but the sea is very warm at present still so were it to get very cold as it is supposed to next week I think a bit of wintryness in the showers would be the best we could hope for though perhaps the mountain tops would get some "sneachta"

Later in the Winter would be the most favorable time for snow perhaps from January on if the sea were to cool significantly like it did last year after all the frosts. But a mix of mild and cool weather like we are likely to get for the coming few weeks will do nothing for the snow lovers I fear bar perhaps an odd wet snow shower in "any" week from the end of November to the end of 2010. After this Winter I think perhaps well appreciate just what an event the Winter of 2009/10 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Correcto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

What is the reasoning behind your forecast for this winter? Others such as Joe Bastardi have given their reasoning for their cold forecast (La Niña, etc), so whether you agree with them or not, they are basing their "guess" (which is what it really is - who's guess is the closest??) on some idea they have. What is your idea, and would you agree with say Joe, that the European continent (excluding ourselves) is in for a cold one?

derekon wrote: »
    Ok fair points Ken.

I am a bit of a novice at this (my wife thinks I am an expert!), and am probably blinded by some degree for my love of cold weather and snow in general.

What is the best time for snow in Eastern Ireland (I am located inland south Dublin not too far from the Dublin mountains but near sea level) in the upcoming winter ?

Derek
    There are only two significantly cold intervals coming up this winter. Email me privately on ken@weatherman.co.nz I'll gladly tell you. That goes for anyone. But this board tends to treat my predictions unkindly so I'm keeping out of it.
    ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There are only two significantly cold intervals coming up this winter. Email me privately on ken@weatherman.co.nz I'll gladly tell you. That goes for anyone. But this board tends to treat my predictions unkindly so I'm keeping out of it.
    ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

Posting your website link at the end of every post despite the site having a sig facility available isn't exactly ''keeping out of it''.

Posting your website link at the end of every post despite the site having a sig facility available isn't exactly ''keeping out of it''.
    I agree
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would respectfully disagree on some of the previous points raised here.

First of all, the solar minimum was actually widely expected to remain in place last winter and most people following this factor are talking about a very gradual increase to what may be, at most, a moderate or even weak solar activity peak around 2013-14. Not only that, but there were quite a few predictions made for a cold winter in the UK and Ireland in the autumn of 2009 and I can provide links if this isn't already known to people.

I should also make the point that low solar activity and below normal temperatures are only correlated at the longer time scale of decadal averages, using this factor year in and year out would result in a lot of missed forecasts, even if you were using it in the Maunder minimum, there were a few mild winters scattered among the generally cold ones, and as for the Dalton or other more recent (and less impressive) solar quiet periods, the hit or miss rate would approach 50% so we can't really say with a lot of confidence that continued quiet sun means another cold winter, it is more of a case of tilting the balance of probabilities.

As to "following herd instincts" or whatever, that remains to be seen, we are seeing a discussion here of what I call pre-validation which is essentially a hypothetical discussion that would have no meaning at all if the postulated mild winter fails to materialize. And by mild winter I would want to see an average 1 C degree above the 1961-90 averages for the period Dec 1 to Feb 28, just so we don't get into a post-argument about one mild month meaning a mild winter.

FWIW (herd mentality or not) I am continuing to believe that December and perhaps early January could be cold again, with a milder spell to follow.

Just on a statistical basis, I would suggest the dates around 15-17 December might be good for snowfall in the pattern I'm expecting.

Anyway, we are going to have a seasonal forecast contest which I will be announcing on this forum during the next few days, so all comers are welcome to test their forecasts against the rest of the crew and against the formidable consensus (who is in about 7th place in the monthly contest, showing that we often get a better result from the average of all forecasts than from any one forecast, but not always). Or we could just ask Danno.

I had mentioned the seasonal forecast before, but would say that the milder trend that may remove the cold regime would be based on the gradual increase in zonal index being caused by the strong La Nina event. It makes sense to me that this would break through a generally blocked pattern over the northeast Atlantic, especially if the cold becomes locked into eastern Siberia, Alaska and northwest Canada with an escape route towards the Great Lakes, a key part of my North American winter forecast. It's unlikely to be cold everywhere at the same time during that later winter stage. The reasoning behind the early cold has to do with a peak in blocking and retrograde index in late November and December.

We shall see, but any one seasonal forecast should not be used as a sort of make or break between methods, you have to consider a track record over ten or twenty years for that sort of determination. And sadly, I don't really think that anyone is keeping track of these things in an organized way, which means that a lot of people including Ken, myself and dozens of others sort of operate in a semi-vacuum in which attention tends to circulate around depending on who said what last. And that suggests to me that we will see only slow progress towards either consensus or proven methodology.

It's good to have a contrast in forecasts, if everyone was saying pretty well the same thing then we would learn nothing about comparative strengths or weaknesses of our various theories and underlying hypotheses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

great post M.T.!

• Advertisement

I would respectfully disagree on some of the previous points raised here.

First of all, the solar minimum was actually widely expected to remain in place last winter and most people following this factor are talking about a very gradual increase to what may be, at most, a moderate or even weak solar activity peak around 2013-14. Not only that, but there were quite a few predictions made for a cold winter in the UK and Ireland in the autumn of 2009 and I can provide links if this isn't already known to people.

I should also make the point that low solar activity and below normal temperatures are only correlated at the longer time scale of decadal averages, using this factor year in and year out would result in a lot of missed forecasts, even if you were using it in the Maunder minimum, there were a few mild winters scattered among the generally cold ones, and as for the Dalton or other more recent (and less impressive) solar quiet periods, the hit or miss rate would approach 50% so we can't really say with a lot of confidence that continued quiet sun means another cold winter, it is more of a case of tilting the balance of probabilities.

As to "following herd instincts" or whatever, that remains to be seen, we are seeing a discussion here of what I call pre-validation which is essentially a hypothetical discussion that would have no meaning at all if the postulated mild winter fails to materialize. And by mild winter I would want to see an average 1 C degree above the 1961-90 averages for the period Dec 1 to Feb 28, just so we don't get into a post-argument about one mild month meaning a mild winter.

FWIW (herd mentality or not) I am continuing to believe that December and perhaps early January could be cold again, with a milder spell to follow.

Just on a statistical basis, I would suggest the dates around 15-17 December might be good for snowfall in the pattern I'm expecting.

Anyway, we are going to have a seasonal forecast contest which I will be announcing on this forum during the next few days, so all comers are welcome to test their forecasts against the rest of the crew and against the formidable consensus (who is in about 7th place in the monthly contest, showing that we often get a better result from the average of all forecasts than from any one forecast, but not always). Or we could just ask Danno.

I had mentioned the seasonal forecast before, but would say that the milder trend that may remove the cold regime would be based on the gradual increase in zonal index being caused by the strong La Nina event. It makes sense to me that this would break through a generally blocked pattern over the northeast Atlantic, especially if the cold becomes locked into eastern Siberia, Alaska and northwest Canada with an escape route towards the Great Lakes, a key part of my North American winter forecast. It's unlikely to be cold everywhere at the same time during that later winter stage. The reasoning behind the early cold has to do with a peak in blocking and retrograde index in late November and December.

We shall see, but any one seasonal forecast should not be used as a sort of make or break between methods, you have to consider a track record over ten or twenty years for that sort of determination. And sadly, I don't really think that anyone is keeping track of these things in an organized way, which means that a lot of people including Ken, myself and dozens of others sort of operate in a semi-vacuum in which attention tends to circulate around depending on who said what last. And that suggests to me that we will see only slow progress towards either consensus or proven methodology.

It's good to have a contrast in forecasts, if everyone was saying pretty well the same thing then we would learn nothing about comparative strengths or weaknesses of our various theories and underlying hypotheses.
    Well said, I agree with all your points. They are exactly my conclusions too and what I have been saying to radio stations etc, and which indicate to me you are probably using roughly the same factors as I am.
    cheers
    Ken Ring
    www.predictweather.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement