Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette Run to Eastern Europe, where to go?

Options
  • 14-08-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Okay well I gave up buying smokes in this country almost 2 years back and have been making regular trips to Poland to stock up. I'd usually get 3,000 which would last me 6 months or so.

But now I wanna try out somewhere new in eastern Europe that also has cheap smokes. Poland is now tipping 3 euro a pack which is a long way off the 2.10 it was when I first started going there. So I'm looking for somewhere that smokes are cheaper than that as I gotta factor in the cost of the flight into my budget too.

I've been to Romania and Bulgaria before and have no desire to go back. Im thnking either Latvia or Lithuania. Someone said to me recently a pack of 20 Marlboro Lights in Lithuania is only e1.50- can anyone confirm this? Also any ideas how much Latvia is?

And do either mind you leaving with the 3,200 personal allowance for intra-EU passangers?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I wouldn't worry about carrying 3,200 once you can prove they're for your own use.

The only advice I can offer you is that even though Estonia is in the E.U. you are only allowed to bring home 200 into Ireland from there. This is to curb a potential black market in Ireland because cigarettes are so cheap in Estonia.

It just goes to show though that black market or no black market in Ireland, people like yourself can legally avoid paying high prices for cigs in Irish shops. When I was smoking cigarettes I very seldom smoked Irish ones since I was away in cheaper countries three or four times a year and legally brought back boxes for myself.

Methinks the government would actually see a rise in tobacco duty income if they dropped the prices of cigarettes. I can't see the lobby groups being too happy if Brian Lenihan made such a decision though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i found a thread on yahoo answers that says a carton (i assume they mean 200) in estonia is €25.50!!
    and cheaper than that again in latvia,
    the above poster says estonia has a limit of 200!! it looks like latvia is your place, i used to work with loads of latvians on a farm,
    i was wondering why all of them smoked:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Cartons of 200 were about €24 in the Duty Free in Croatia.

It's a beautiful country also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I've not entirely sure about this, but I've heard Ukraine is dirt cheap. Ukrainian guy in my school used to buy about 10 cartons when he went on holidays to there for apparently 8 quid a carton, Ukrainian L&M, not entirely sure how much the more well known brands would set you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

My gf brought me back Camel and Marlboro for herself from Kiev, worked out at E00.88 a pack!

Find out the import limit, bring that, then buy about another 400 and hide them throughout your luggage, inside shoes, in pockets etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Encouraging or providing advice on the evasion of Import Duty is not acceptable in this forum.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

prague. € 28 per carton of B&H Gold last March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    prague. € 28 per carton of B&H Gold last March.

Camel/Camel Lights are 75 Czech crowns which is almost €3 euro(goes up and down a bit depending on the day)
    Marlboro/ Marlboro Lights are 82kc which is about €3.28, hence the reason I switched to Camel lights.
    LM Blue are 66kc which is about €2.64.

Unless the OP can get cheaper flights to Prague than Poland(I doubt it), he is not gaining too much more by going to the Czech Republic.

Bratislava/Slovakia should be a similar price, though could be a bit more as they have the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was in Poland last week, Marlboro lights worked out about €2.69 with the exchange rate. Stocked up on a few 50g pouchs of Golden Virginia, should do me for a good while. They were about 8.24 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Wow, this thread is pretty funny! Travelling thousands of miles to feed an addiction and breaking the law as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is pretty funny! Travelling thousands of miles to feed an addiction and breaking the law as well!

Breaking what laws???

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

You sound like a barrel of laughs:rolleyes:

They are getting a holiday and saving money as well and you are only breaking the law if you go over the allowed amount.

Arthurdaly, if you have a problem with a post - use the report post function. Do not start trolling this forum again.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

I was in Ukraine recently, Cigs are around 8 euro for 200, you can only bring 2 cartons back to EU. Your looking at about 80 cent for a 20 pack.

60 cent for a beer there.

Warning - People will try and over charge you if you don't speak Russian or Ukrainian. As soon as they hear the English language the price is going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

CCCP wrote: »
    I was in Ukraine recently, Cigs are around 8 euro for 200, you can only bring 2 cartons back to EU. Your looking at about 80 cent for a 20 pack.

60 cent for a beer there.

Warning - People will try and over charge you if you don't speak Russian or Ukrainian. As soon as they hear the English language the price is going up.

Ironic for someone called CCCP to go to Ukraine.

Im going to Ukraine the week after next, so OP, I can get a full list of prices/brands for you if you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

breaking what law??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

breaking what law??
    The user you are referring too has been banned from the forum but for future reference remember the old addage - "Don't feed the trolls". Report them instead.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

anywhere else good bar ukraine?
    pref sunny lol

my sis was in tenerife a few weeks bk and every1 on the plane in dublin airport had bags searched so be sure to only bring the legal amount ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

sc86 wrote: »
    anywhere else good bar ukraine?
    pref sunny lol

Crimea is very hot and sunny, Its in southern Ukraine, in black sea above Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

CCCP wrote: »
    Crimea is very hot and sunny, Its in southern Ukraine, in black sea above Turkey.

is it a nice place?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Djdukey

Hey,

The Ukraine isn't in the EU so you can only bring back 200.

I was in Lithuanaia a few weeks ago. I went to Vilnius. Lovely city, but very cold. Its small enough city with the old town, then BIG shopping centres around it. All within short bus ride away. FOOD is dirt cheap. We ate in a restaurant and had 2 large pizzas, i had 4 beers and girlfriend had 3 mojitos (cant spell) and it came to 9euro. Seriously was in shock.

Anyway about the cigs. I bought loads in the supermarket as i smoke marlboro lights. A box of 200 was around €23-24 euro. I bought mine in the supermarkets.

Then at the airport they had them for €22.50! And you could use your card and pay in Euro. So I bought more there. I couldn't believe tho but they had Benson and Hedges! They were like the US ones though (red label and blue label) and I think they were €26. My girlfriend was looking to buy Benson in Vilnius city, and they dont sell them. Or anywhere in Poland.

Just MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! You HAVE to have them to show customs you did pay Tax and duty, otherwise they can take them off you.

In Vilnius there are markets and little kids selling boxes of cigarettes from Belarus and Russia (all different brands)!! a box of 200 is only €8-10!! (Vilnius is beside belarus, and the cigs come from there and also from Russia as Russia has a little state beside lithuania.

But be warned that if you buy these and get stopped by customs, they will be taken from you as you don't have receipts for them showing you paid VAT and also Belarus isnt in the EU!!

Aer lingus flies to Vilnius direct from dublin. Ryanair fly to Kaunas (smaller city about hour away). You can also fly into Vilnius and out of Riga as riga is 3 hours away on bus (Bus is luxury and has internet) only about €20 one way.

And also, AFAIK you can only get to Ukraine by going to UK (or other European airport) not directly from dublin? So you will have to go through customs in both countries. i.e if you go via UK you gotta go through customs in UK then in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

See the link beneath.

I think that you can only bring in 4 cartons (800 ciggies) while remaining within the law and I think that from certain EU countries that drops to the same level as per a non-EU country although it doesn't state that on the link beneath.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

I read that the UK have no allowance but advise you that you might have to explain yourself if you have more than 3,200 cigs (16 cartons).

alex73 wrote: »
    I think the EU should reform the single market to exempt tobacco... Its all very well to bring in cheap cigarettes from Poland, but its the Irish exchequer who will have to pay for the Heart disease treatment or lung cancer quimo.
    alex73 - Anti-smoking statements have no place in this forum. Please read & understand the forum charter before you post again.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cj263

i know its in a different area but was in Egypt a few years ago and found cigs in the duty free in the airport. 200 for about €8. only got 200 because i thought they wouldnt be good. i was wrong. i smoke john player blue and they were nearly the same. Cant remember the name of them but they were in a light blue packet. amazing country as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

See the link beneath.

I think that you can only bring in 4 cartons (800 ciggies) while remaining within the law and I think that from certain EU countries that drops to the same level as per a non-EU country although it doesn't state that on the link beneath.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

I read that the UK have no allowance but advise you that you might have to explain yourself if you have more than 3,200 cigs (16 cartons).

The revenue admitted earlier this year that there is no 800 cigarette limit, though as your link shows they do a remarkably good job of maintaining the pretence that there is such a limit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64874225&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

I'd advise you to travel to the small town of Przemyśl in the south east of Poland nearest airport is Rzeszów.
    In the town in the old city their is a Ukrainian 'car boot sale' of sorts. When walking in you will see people selling Unitarian cigarettes. Some popular western brands and others not so popular. 200 = 12.50 (50PLN).

You probably wont get searched getting onto the plane, I never have been yet it is an airport with a big military presence and is maintained by the military, but don't fear they're just people doing a security related job.

Oh and also since these cigarettes are purchased outside of the EU be sure to pay all relevant taxes to the appropriate customs and excise people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You probably wont get searched getting onto the plane, I never have been yet it is an airport with a big military presence and is maintained by the military, but don't fear they're just people doing a security related job.
    I don't see why the Polish authorities would care about your cigarettes. It's customs in Ireland to whom you may have to explain yourself.

since these cigarettes are purchased outside of the EU
    You just said the town is in Poland, in which case they're not bought outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I'd advise you to travel to the small town of Przemyśl in the south east of Poland nearest airport is Rzeszów.
    In the town in the old city their is a Ukrainian 'car boot sale' of sorts. When walking in you will see people selling Unitarian cigarettes. Some popular western brands and others not so popular. 200 = 12.50 (50PLN).

Oh and also since these cigarettes are purchased outside of the EU be sure to pay all relevant taxes to the appropriate customs and excise people.

Would have to agree with the above post on the smaller airports statement.If you're in Poland it's best to head east as the price of goods is less.Everyone knows they charge more in the tourist areas,so avoid those.Supermarkets are expensive for this sort of thing.The misses is Polish and we travel over a lot, and often have to shop around for good prices on and the best deals.Also a good haggle always helps!!My advice would be to avoid the large shops and find a small quiet place they can often order in brands like B/H and Silk Cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

canonball5 wrote: »
    Would have to agree with the above post on the smaller airports statement.If you're in Poland it's best to head east as the price of goods is less.

The point I was more pointing out is most towns that border the Ukraine will have Ukrainians coming over to sell cigarettes at profit. Normally in the town I mentioned (My girlfriends town) is about 40-50ZŁ for 200 yet in a shop your expecting to pay 10.50ZŁ a pack and in the airport (Rzeszów) I've paid 100ZŁ for 200 Marlboro Red (Around 25Euro so thats fairly the norm in some other EU airports).

Id advise Poland as its also a lovely place to travel to, and it is within the EU. Also Przemyśl is very famous for its part in WWII and has a vast system of bunkers under the town, many open to the public and I believe last time I was over this September they had a team of Architects working in the main square on the bunker system under the town to search for historically relevant things before opening it up to the public (After renovation obviously)
    BeerNut wrote: »
    You just said the town is in Poland, in which case they're not bought outside the EU.

As I stated the cigarettes I was referring to are brought into the EU from the Ukraine where the tax is significantly lower if existent. There is no EU tax paid on them so you must take that matter into your own hands if you wish to do so.
    Consider it like this, northern Ireland isn't part of the EU. I go up their and buy lots of cheap cigarettes bring them to a car boot sale down south and sell them to people.

Advertisement