Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie 2-day Foldathon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll also contribute, although not much I'm afraid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You can't be as bad off as me :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

16 sign ups! That's a new record! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got my i7 pc running a low usage at home, havent used folding@home in a while, wanna see how efficient the i7 is :pac:

*looks at my low-cache C2D*

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can I use my 360? It gets little enough play time and may as well make itself useful.

Also, there's an ancient pentium something or other inside, should I bother setting that up?:p

I don't think there's a client for the 360, only one for eight-core behemoth inside the PS3 :( Otherwise I'd be running my 360 as well as my PC!! :o

Got my i7 pc running a low usage at home, havent used folding@home in a while, wanna see how efficient the i7 is :pac:

Very efficient. ;)

Make sure you request a passkey, and then you'll need to complete 10 WUs to qualify for bonus points.

After that, you can get anywhere from 15-20k PPD just by running the SMP client. Each WU will take ~6hrs. If you're a more dedicated Folder, and you can get an overclock of at least 3.6Ghz, you can Fold -bigadv WUs. They need you to Folder ~20hrs a day and take 2-3 days to complete, but get 30-40k PPD. :)
    Solitaire wrote: »
    *looks at my low-cache C2D*

:(:(

Until a week or two ago I was using a Pentium D for non-stop Folding on my main rig. Little thing pumped out 400 PPD, and took more than 2 days per WU. :D
    Can I use my 360? It gets little enough play time and may as well make itself useful.

Also, there's an ancient pentium something or other inside, should I bother setting that up?:p
    I don't think there's a client for the 360, only one for eight-core behemoth inside the PS3 :( Otherwise I'd be running my 360 as well as my PC!! :o

Yeah, I'm afraid the Xbox doesn't have a Folding client. Someone did manage to get Linux running on it and started a Folding client, but it got less than 100 PPD IIRC. Not really worth the effort.

zodac wrote: »
    Until a week or two ago I was using a Pentium D for non-stop Folding on my main rig. Little thing pumped out 400 PPD, and took more than 2 days per WU. :D

Jebus! :eek::o:o:o Even my C2D scores over five times faster! :o:o
    Yeah, I'm afraid the Xbox doesn't have a Folding client. Someone did manage to get Linux running on it and started a Folding client, but it got less than 100 PPD IIRC. Not really worth the effort.

Ouch! :o:o Wonder if that was solely down to the stripped-down ARM CPU or whether there was another issue going on... simple or not, a fast tricore should be pumping out more than that! :eek::eek:

Jebus! :eek::o:o:o Even my C2D scores over five times faster! :o:o

Yep... still went a year and a half Folding before I gave it a break though. This Q6600 is doing a good job of picking up the slack. :cool:

• Advertisement

Q6600...

*is envious again* :(

On a Dell motherboard though, so no OCing. :(

You still have 9.6GHz of Core2 grunt!! :p I only have 6.66GHz... :o

I wonder when the next Competiton will take place...? *dreams of OCd i5-760* :D:p

Well , that's true. It does bring in double the PPD you get. :p

Anyway, E8400 and GTS 250 switched over to Boards. Will move the 9800GT and Q6600 as soon as this SMP WU is finished. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Which would I be better using?
    i7 at 4ghz or 5970 with gpu folding?

Long term, the i7 will get you ~15k PPD (or 30-35k with -bigadv). However, for the first 10 WUs, you'll only be getting 2-3k PPD since bonus points won't have kicked in.

The 5970 will get 6-7k PPD, but will hurt SMP Folding, and takes a lot more power to run.

I suspect that we won't be scoring very high until next time, as this time around at this point (or even several days before, for anyone without a fast i7 or X6) any newbs to folding won't have had time to start racking bonus points :o

No, I wouldn't expect a load of points this month. But if we get enough people to sign up, we can expand next month.

Baby steps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I'm very curious to see what change in PPD we will get, though we have dropped about 9k PPD since the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Sigh, I forgot to copy down my passkey and I won't be in College til 4ish tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Crap. I didn't realise I had to get the Life with playstation thing for playstation to fold! :o Hadnt even the feature enabled. That means I wont get folding for hours:(:(

Sorry for missing the start guys, but the first Foldathon is go! :D
    Sigh, I forgot to copy down my passkey and I won't be in College til 4ish tomorrow.

Are you using college computers? :confused:
    Crap. I didn't realise I had to get the Life with playstation thing for playstation to fold! :o Hadnt even the feature enabled. That means I wont get folding for hours:(:(

Isn't Life with Playstation added with like Firmware version 3?

Isn't Life with Playstation added with like Firmware version 3?

Not for me it wasn't.:(
    It doesn't seem to want to download itself for me either.:mad:

Try downloading off the computer, then sticking it ona USB and updating that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Are you using college computers? :confused:
    Wanted to try out the new machines in College. Just started folding at home an hour ago

I dont think thats possible for the Life with playstation thing.
    I guess I should have it up and running by tomorrow anyway

Well, I meant get the newest Firmware. Maybe it only came with Slim PS3s though...

I have the newest firmware, ps3 slim 250gb.
    Every piece of technology I have backfires on me see, even though I'd be a rather techy type.

We're doing well lads. 19 active Folders, and 36k, with 3 more updates to go. :D

Now, I'm guessing here but our previous best week was ~300k. That means 42-47k seems like a reasonable estimate of our best haul for a single day. We're gonna smash that today. ;)

• Advertisement

Knocked it up a notch now :D

Advertisement