Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Researching lesbian and gay ageing in Ireland

Options
  • 17-12-2002 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all

I am a phd student at the Department of Sociology, Trinity College Dublin.

My area of research is on older lesbians and gay men in Ireland. In particular I am interested in the differences if any between lesbian and gay ageing and heterosexual ageing. This can be policy related, pensions housing etc and also how we as lesbians and gay men prepare for getting older and experience getting older in a minority community.

I am seeking lesbian and gay interviewees between the ages of 55 and 70 living in Ireland. The interview would be completely confidential - no names used or needed - and would take less than one hour and conducted in a location of the interviewees choice.

If you are interested or *know* someone who might be please get in touch or pass on the information.

This is the first time that this topic has been researched in Ireland and there results of the research will be used to inform policy and practise by lesbian and gay and older peoples organisations. Please feel free to cut and paste this message and spread the word around.

Thanks.

Suzy Byrne
    Department of Sociology
    Trinity College Dublin,
    Dublin 2

Email:subyrne@tcd.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Are you the Suzy Byrne that used to be with IGLYO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Guilty as charged...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

small world ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

have u tried going to gay bars/restaurants/places of meet?

im sure you could find people there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Thanks Stan....I am going to try that at a later stage. What I am doing now is called snowballing...trying to get people who know people in the age range to tell them about my research. This way those who contact me are likely to be interested from the start.

cold calling in the George will take a bit more time and is probably better at a less busy time of the year!

Regards

Suzy

• Advertisement
Advertisement