Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

J C wrote: »
    The Flagellar motor, like all other motors is intelligently designed!!!

J C youve already been down this road before youve thrown the flagella argument more times than i care to remember:(

J C sponsoredwalk, myself and plenty of other people on this board have been demanding answers to their questions for a long time now!
    Trying to start another argument about the flagella will not make them forget the fact that you ducked, dived and dogded your way around them till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

There are two reasons why many of the quotes are from the 70's and 80's.

1. There is such intolerance against any anti-evolution statements nowadays, that it would be professional suicide for a working evolutionist to make any such remarks.

2. Creation Scientists wish to protect the many ordinary Evolutionists that they interact with by not publishing off-the-record remarks that they may make.

Translation: Conspiracy!!!

Trust me, if I found evidence for the spontaneous emergence of a species or any complex biological system (be it irreducible complexity etc.), I would publish it and win worldwide acclaim. If my work was to the standard demanded, I would probably win the Nobel prize too.

Do you know why creation science is rejected? No evidence. And that isn't going to change, that much I can reasonably guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

J C, what is that supposed to prove, that a palaentologist could do his job
    from the 60's to 80's without understanding evolution? Well done, nice job.
    You've certainly used argumenta ad verecundia all throughout this thread
    but they don't seem to work on anyone but you :pac:

I'm not going to let this one get away:

Repeat post:
    The Flagellar motor, like all other motors is intelligently designed!!!

LIAR! :D

J C, lets take the second quote in your video:

"In evolutionary terms you have to be able to explain how you can build
    this system gradually"

Now J C, I already gave you a video illustrating real scientific work done in

Here is the paper. Furthermore:
    "Professor Behe has applied the concept of irreducible complexity to only a
    few select systems: (1) the bacterial flagellum; (2) the blood-clotting
    cascade; and (3) the immune system. Contrary to Professor Behe’s
    assertions with respect to these few biochemical systems among the
    myriad existing in nature, however, Dr. Miller presented evidence, based
    upon peer-reviewed studies, that they are not, in fact, irreducibly
    complex."[55]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Behe
    I have given you evidence that your claim is wrong, this system can
    be brought about by materialistic, pond-to-man-type, methods. Basically
    you've lied again by claiming intelligence is needed when clearly we have
    blind, downright dirty, evolution bringing about a flagella motor that can
    be simplified :eek:

So, will you admit you were wrong? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Zillah wrote: »
    J C, don't you think you'd be happier if you just admitted to yourself that it's magic? You can stop pretending! You can stop lying to yourself and others, no more desperate attempts at scrabbling together shreds of evidence, misquoted scientists and dubiously run experiments. No more struggle with your doubts and that irritating little voice of reason that sometimes manages to cry out as you link to yet another piece of drivel masquerading as reasonable argument. No more desperate attempts to rationalise away the thousands of posts that prove you wrong.

Just concede that you think God is magic and that we're stupid atheists who don't get how special he makes you feel. Wouldn't it be so much easier? Just let it go. I bet it would be rather cathartic.
    Strong words from somebody who believes that his brain is developed from pondslime and selected mistakes!!!!

Like I have said before ... I have no over-riding commitment to Creationism ... I once was an Evolutionist ... and I would return to Evolution again, if any of it made sense!!!

... but here is a man (Prof Richard Lewontin Alexander, Agassiz Research Professor at Harvard University) whose commitment to Evolution and Materialism is absolute :
    We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. "Billions and Billions of Demons"

... and this is what he really thinks of Darwinism:-

Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection in particular is hopelessly metaphysical, according to the rules of etiquette laid down in the Logic of Scientific Inquiry and widely believed in by practicing scientists who bother to think about the problem. The first rule for any scientific hypothesis ought to be that it is at least possible to conceive of an observation that would contradict the theory. For what good is a theory that is guaranteed by its internal logical structure to agree with all conceivable observations, irrespective of the real structure of the world? If scientists are going to use logically unbeatable theories about the world, they might as well give up natural science and take up religion. Yet is that not exactly the situation with regard to Darwinism? The theory of evolution by natural selection states that changes in the inherited characters of species occur, giving rise to differentiation in space and time, because different genetical types leave different numbers of offspring in different environments... Such a theory can never be falsified, for it asserts that some environmental difference created the conditions for natural selection of a new character. It is existentially quantified so that the failure to find the environmental factor proves nothing, except that one has not looked hard enough. Can one really imagine observations about nature that would disprove natural selection as a cause of the difference in bill size? The theory of natural selection is then revealed as metaphysical rather than scientific. Natural selection explains nothing because it explains everything. “Testing the Theory of Natural Selection” Nature March 24, 1972 p.181

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

There are two reasons why many of the quotes are from the 70's and 80's.

1. There is such intolerance against any anti-evolution statements nowadays, that it would be professional suicide for a working evolutionist to make any such remarks.

On the contrary, if any working 'evolutionist' (people like you always seem to love your labels, don't you) actually had had some real evidence that invalidated real evolutionary biology, it would probably guarantee a nobel prize and a lifetime of fame in the scientific community.

2. Creation Scientists wish to protect the many ordinary Evolutionists that they interact with by not publishing off-the-record remarks that they may make.
    Yes, that's right, the creationists just love to keep their counsel for fear of offending anyone :rolleyes:
    Here is an eminent evolutionist Colin Patterson (1933 – 1998) former Senior Palaeontologist at the British Museum of Natural History, who saw the Evolution was a load of baloney ... and went on the record with his colleagues ... and didn't mince his words about it:-

One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view, or let's call it a non- evolutionary view, was last year I had a sudden realization for over twenty years I had thought I was working on evolution in some way. One morning I woke up and something had happened in the night and it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years and there was not one thing I knew about it. That's quite a shock to learn that one can be so misled so long. Either there was something wrong with me or there was something wrong with evolutionary theory. Naturally, I know there is nothing wrong with me, so for the last few weeks I've tried putting a simple question to various people and groups of people.

Question is: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing, that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said, "I do know one thing - it ought not to be taught in high school."
    "Evolutionism and Creationism" Keynote address at the American Museum of Natural History, New York City, November 5, 1981 p.1
    My favourite bit - "Naturally, I know there is nothing wrong with me....". I love the arrogance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

HOLY SH&T!!!! Did JC just quote Colin Patterson?:eek:
    The famous "keynote address" at the American Museum of Natural History in 1981 was nothing of the sort. It was a talk to the "Systematics Discussion Group" in the Museum, an (extremely) informal group. I had been asked to talk to them on "Evolutionism and creationism"; fired up by a paper by Ernst Mayr published in Science just the week before. I gave a fairly rumbustious talk, arguing that the theory of evolution had done more harm than good to biological systematics (classification). Unknown to me, there was a creationist in the audience with a hidden tape recorder. So much the worse for me. But my talk was addressed to professional systematists, and concerned systematics, nothing else.

I hope that by now I have learned to be more circumspect in dealing with creationists, cryptic or overt. But I still maintain that scepticism is the scientist's duty, however much the stance may expose us to ridicule.

House wrote: »
    Translation: Conspiracy!!!

Trust me, if I found evidence for the spontaneous emergence of a species or any complex biological system (be it irreducible complexity etc.), I would publish it and win worldwide acclaim. If my work was to the standard demanded, I would probably win the Nobel prize too.

Do you know why creation science is rejected? No evidence. And that isn't going to change, that much I can reasonably guarantee.
    Its not a conspiracy ... just open hostility.

... and the reason the hostility is so acute is because Creationism is the truth.

Strong words from somebody who believes that his brain is developed from pondslime and selected mistakes!!!!

Like I have said before ... I have no over-riding commitment to Creationism ... I once was an Evolutionist ... and I would return to Evolution again, if any of it made sense!!!

... but here is a man (Prof Richard Lewontin Alexander, Agassiz Research Professor at Harvard University) whose commitment to Evolution and Materialism is absolute :
    We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door. "Billions and Billions of Demons"

Strong words from someone who believes a wizard kicked humans out of
    paradise because a damn woman tempted a man to eat an apple.

Oh wait, they aren't your words, you do nothing but pull up questionable
    and out of context quotations from other people :rolleyes:

... and the reason the hostility is so acute is because Creationism is the truth.

Anyone else confused by this? :confused:

You're not wedded to creationism, but creationism is truth, therefore
    you're not wedded to truth? :D J C we know that ;)

Yeah yeah J C... In the world of science 'no evidence' = hostility:rolleyes:

BTW JC you still have not given me an answer to my question or ghostbusters question.
    Im not surprised JC to be honest. There is no way you are ever going to find credible evidence that putting animals on a boat is going to explain the existence of introns anyway.(Do you have any idea how rediculous it sounds?...:rolleyes:)
    So you may aswell just admit that you lied in your answer to Ghostbusters question!!!!:cool:

• Advertisement

On the contrary, if any working 'evolutionist' (people like you always seem to love your labels, don't you) actually had had some real evidence that invalidated real evolutionary biology, it would probably guarantee a nobel prize and a lifetime of fame in the scientific community.
    ... OK ... have you seen what happened when a (Muslim) Neurosurgeon and Creation Scientist, Dr. Oktar Babuna, tried to question some Evolutionist ideas at a scientific conference on Evolution?

Yes, that's right, the creationists just love to keep their counsel for fear of offending anyone :rolleyes:
    We do protect scientists by not needlessly exposing them to Evolutionist ire!!!
    My favourite bit - "Naturally, I know there is nothing wrong with me....". I love the arrogance :)
    It was a joke ... you obviously never met Colin ... he was a great guy ... and one of life's gentlemen!!!

I'm certainly not hostile to creationism as a mechanism for the explanation for life. I just have to grow up and admit that there is simply no scientific basis for creationism. The facts are the facts. Evolution by natural selection is the golden standard, it explains the variety of life that has been studied, creationism does not.

I remember an old adage that true wisdom could be found in being able to entertain an idea without necessarily believing it. Perhaps you should consider the evidence again for yourself.

Science is quite cruel to ideas that do not fit observation. Such is the fate of nonsense like creationism.

keppler wrote: »
    Yeah yeah J C... In the world of science 'no evidence' = hostility:rolleyes:
    Why is there no hostility towards Evolution then?
    ... there isn't a single shred of evidence for it's validity ... and even a five year old would see through it!!!

More Harun Yahya stuff :pac: Do give him my regards in jail wont you ;)
    Honestly I remember asking myself who would actually fall for the waffle in
    his videos and on his channel. I'm so shocked to find someone in Ireland who
    actually falls for this piffle, seriously J C you've been so misled, I feel sorry
    for you if you'd seriously use Harun Yahya videos as any form of evidence
    whatsoever, especially twice or three times in 1 thread :eek:
    Have you read about this man's history? Have you read about him faking
    evolutionary evidence? Read up on it J C and ask yourself how safe it is
    to constantly rely on somebodies credentials, i.e. "oh he's a biologist, he's
    a curator of a museum yada yada..." when here we have grade A+
    evidence that this method will get someone tricked by hucksters.

Honestly, I do feel sorry for you at this stage & just hope you'll eventually
    see this for yourself. I know you'll reply telling me I'm blinded by my
    evolution and my god Dawkins or whatever but just know that I'm
    sorry you've been misled by such hucksters with such hucksterish
    practices. Another thing you should check up on is the low down dirty
    tricks creationists use, I mean it's not happy, it's not a sign of internal
    happiness and isn't that what your religion is supposed to give you?

Flagellum stuff awaiting response btw...

Oh, and how is my video on the evolution of the flagellum not evidence for
    evolution J C? A 5 year old couldn't understand this video because it's
    kind of technical so yeah I'm sure the 5 year old would claim it's wrong -
    what does that illustrate? ;)

Anyone else confused by this? :confused:

You're not wedded to creationism, but creationism is truth, therefore
    you're not wedded to truth? :D J C we know that ;)
    I believe that Creationism is true ... but I am prepared to change my mind if it is proven to be untrue!!!

I believe that Creationism is true ... but I am prepared to change my mind if it is proven to be untrue!!!

Well that's progress, now I sense a bit more honesty coming from you.
    We know very little about the particular strand of creationism you hold to be
    true, why don't you let us know because, as I'm sure you know, there are
    many different varieties & I wouldn't like to assume anything offhand.
    We can talk about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

There are two reasons why many of the quotes are from the 70's and 80's. :)

Ah jesus christ, Jc. You just wont quit will you. fighting the lone fight to prove that Darwin(blessed be his name) was wrong and the 2000 year old jewish fairy tale is the one true source.
    This is 2010 ,surely you should be able to quote something more up to date than writings from the age of disco.

More Harun Yahya stuff :pac: Do give him my regards in jail wont you ;)
    ... the neurosurgeon was Dr. Oktar Babuna.
    Honestly I remember asking myself who would actually fall for the waffle in
    his videos and on his channel. I'm so shocked to find someone in Ireland who
    actually falls for this piffle, seriously J C you've been so misled, I feel sorry
    for you if you'd seriously use Harun Yahya videos as any form of evidence
    whatsoever, especially twice or three times in 1 thread :eek:
    Have you read about this man's history? Have you read about him faking
    evolutionary evidence? Read up on it J C and ask yourself how safe it is
    to constantly rely on somebodies credentials, i.e. "oh he's a biologist, he's
    a curator of a museum yada yada..." when here we have grade A+
    evidence that this method will get someone tricked by hucksters.
    ... all I will say to that is touché!!!
    Honestly, I do feel sorry for you at this stage & just hope you'll eventually
    see this for yourself. I know you'll reply telling me I'm blinded by my
    evolution and my god Dawkins or whatever but just know that I'm
    sorry you've been misled by such hucksters with such hucksterish
    practices. Another thing you should check up on is the low down dirty
    tricks creationists use, I mean it's not happy, it's not a sign of internal
    happiness and isn't that what your religion is supposed to give you?
    What are you talking about?
    Flagellum stuff awaiting response btw...

Oh, and how is my video on the evolution of the flagellum not evidence for
    evolution J C? A 5 year old couldn't understand this video because it's
    kind of technical so yeah I'm sure the 5 year old would claim it's wrong -
    what does that illustrate? ;)
    Your video shows the steps that an intelligent agent might use to develop a flagellar motor ... but the chances of a non-intelligently directed process doing so are about the same as putting a feather in the ground ... and expecting it to grow a hen!!!
    ... at least with the feather, you already have the hen DNA ... but the chance is still zero!!!

Your video shows the steps that an intelligent agent might use to develop a flagellar motor ... but the chances of a non-intelligently directed process doing so are about the same as putting a
    feather in the ground ... and expecting it to grow a hen!!!
    ... at least with the feather, you already have the hen DNA ... but the chance is still zero!!!

And there we have the root of your problem. You do not understand evolution at all.

Go watch "The Genius of Charles Darwin" and come back to us.

And there we have the root of your problem. You do not understand evolution at all.

Go watch "The Genius of Charles Darwin" and come back to us.
    ... and what do you think the chance of a feather growing a hen is?

• Advertisement

Why is there no hostility towards Evolution then?
    ... there isn't a single shred of evidence for it's validity ... and even a five year old would see through it!!!

J C your nothing but a blaggard!!
    Your character on this board appears to be nothing but a devious and suspicious one ...:mad:
    you purposely only quoted part of my reply to you, so you didnt have to give an answer to any of my questions J C.

J C you have been presented with copious amounts of concrete evidence validating evolution. When all you can do in return J C is quote lies from creationist websites and present proper scientific articles with you claiming they are something they aren't. J C IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE YOU ARE A LIAR:mad:

... and what do you think the chance of a feather growing a hen is?

Unbelievably close to zero

That's why Darwin's theory of evolution employs natural selection to magnify beneficially significant mutations.

It's not an all or nothing argument like creationism. Have you ever heard of Mount Improbable?

I am sorely tempted to call Poe on this one.

Well that's progress, now I sense a bit more honesty coming from you.
    We know very little about the particular strand of creationism you hold to be
    true, why don't you let us know because, as I'm sure you know, there are
    many different varieties & I wouldn't like to assume anything offhand.
    We can talk about it though.

You are going to charge him for this counseling ....right?:D

... all I will say to that is touché!!!
    I'm glad you have absolutely no answer other than this, says a lot.
    ... the neurosurgeon was Dr. Oktar Babuna.

I know, the video was from Harun Yahya, furthermore the mans claims
    were bogus.

tiktaalik_phylo.jpg

Can I have the Harun Yahya prize now?

Your video shows the steps that an intelligent agent might use to develop a flagellar motor ... but the chances of a non-intelligently directed process doing so are about the same as putting a
    feather in the ground ... and expecting it to grow a hen!!!

Where is King Mob, I'd love to see him calculate the probability in your
    gedankenexperiment to see how accurate your ridiculous correlations are.

I'm not trying to be insulting but this is the stupidest thing you've said in
    this thread. You're probably well over the age of 20 and I can't believe a
    grown man would say something like this, especially if he claims he was
    "once an evolutionist". Did you watch the video properly? Did you see the
    part where it says that there are 40 different homologues?
    :rolleyes:

How is there chance involved when 40 structures are pulling up similar
    structures J C? How???????????:pac::mad::):D;):rolleyes::P:(:eek::o:p

Unbelievably close to zero

That's why Darwin's theory of evolution employs natural selection to magnify beneficially significant mutations.

It's not an all or nothing argument like creationism. Have you ever heard of Mount Improbable?

I am sorely tempted to call Poe on this one.
    I once tried to 'climb' Mount Improbable ... and I found it to be Mount Impossible!!!

I once tried to 'climb' Mount Improbable ... and I found it to be Mount Impossible!!!

You remind me of a friend I had when I visited a Pentecostal Church over a few months. Your quips betray your ignorance.

The idea of creationism or evolution by blind chance are both so highly improbable so as to be ridiculous.

Evolution by natural selection on the other hand removes the "all or nothing" limitation imposed by the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's because Mount Improbable is not actually a real mountain. It is merely metaphor created for the purposes of explaining the the difference between the creationist concept of evolution that the modern theory of evolution. Typical JC, thinks metaphors are literal and that dream worlds exist.

Malty_T wrote: »
    That's because Mount Improbable is not actually a real mountain. It is merely metaphor created for the purposes of explaining the the difference between the creationist concept of evolution that the modern theory of evolution. Typical JC, thinks metaphors are literal and that dream worlds exist.

Persistent persuasive delusion is as real to him as a hardback bible to the back of the head.

Your quips betray your ignorance.
    exactly, and the quips are hardly answers to keppler who has been asking
    you to respond to ghostbusters question for around 20 pages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

To be perfectly honest, I don't even know why we're still trying. Clearly there is no point at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement