Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's first geothermal generator

Options
  • 23-09-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

A planning application has been lodged with South Dublin County Council to construct Ireland's first geothermal electricity generation plant.

The company behind the project, GT Energy, said its proposed facility at Newcastle could provide enough electricity to power 8,000 homes.

Geothermal energy involves extracting hot water and steam from the earth's core by drilling boreholes deep underground - a technology widely used in places like Iceland.

GT Energy started test drilling at the site in 2007 and investigative work resumed earlier this year.

If the project secures planning and licences, drilling of the wells will begin early next year, with generation starting in 2012.

GT Energy's Padraig Hanly estimates the development will cost around €30m and said the company is receiving technical assistance from ESB International.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0923/electricity.html

More info: http://www.gtenergy.net/projects.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I read about this earlier today. I read up on it some time ago and thought it looked interesting but didn't know if it would work here. I like this idea. :)

What, roughly, is 8,000 homes in Kwh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

What, roughly, is 8,000 homes in Kwh?

About 4 megawatts / 4,000 Kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Renewable_Energy_RD_D/Projects_funded_to_date/Geothermal_Energy/

Above is a link I came across about other geothermal sites in Ireland. I was suprised when I read this as I didn't think we had any suitable geothermal sites in this country. It will be intersting to see if they are planning for any other geothermal generators. What is the typical ifespan of a geothermal plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Newcastle is my home place. When I was visiting in May that company was taking sensor readings all over Newcastle (cables running along all the roads with probe heads stuck into the ground). It looks like they wanted final confirmation that it's a goer and it seems they got it. Best of luck to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A COMPANY plans to provide power for 8,000 homes by tapping into boiling water hidden four kilometres below the Earth's surface.

GT Energy has sought planning permission to build the country's first geothermal energy plant at Newcastle, Co Dublin, which it says will produce environmentally-friendly energy within two years.

Widely used in other countries including Iceland, France and Germany, geothermal energy extracts hot water and steam from within the Earth's crust which is then used to drive turbines and produce electricity.

It is considered a renewable energy source because the water is pumped back into the Earth after going through the power-generation cycle where it can be re-used.

Energy

Planning permission was sought for a €30m plant from South Dublin County Council yesterday, which if approved would result in a plant being built within two years, GT Energy managing director Padraig Hanly said.

Some 200 construction jobs would be created, and up to 15 full-time positions when the plant is up and running.

"The project is the first of its kind in Ireland," he said. "We want to harness energy from the Earth's core. We drill down 4km and harness heat energy before bringing that to the surface and supplying energy to the grid.

"If all goes well we could go ahead next year. We believe there's potential for 10 of these across Dublin. This could provide 20pc of all the heat demand for the capital. Geothermal is an abundant resource. It's always on, unlike other renewables. It has minimal visual impact, and when built it will look like any other industrial unit. It's about nine metres high and sits on less than half an acre. There's such a minimum visual impact it could be built beside a school.

"In Germany they're in planning for 150 plants. There's no reason why in years to come every town in Ireland couldn't have its own plant, supplying geothermal energy and heat. One of these plants could be built to cater for a hospital or a university."

If approved, the company will also have to seek a licence to produce electricity from the Commission for Energy Regulation.

Mr Hanly said the technology had been used since the late 19th Century in the US, and was safe.

"It's simple technology," he said. "The pipes come to the surface for about 20 metres. The worst thing that can happen is the pipes leak. The pressures will be lower. The technology on the surface is all off the shelf."

The €30m project would be funded by investors, and the plant should pay for itself in 15 years. Mr Hanly said electricity would be generated at a cheaper cost, while avoiding the need to use imported fossil fuels which contribute to climate change.

- Paul Melia

Irish Independent
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/thermal-plan-to-power-homes-is-on-the-boil-2351285.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Sounds good. Hope it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Is such plants cost effective. If one plant can only supply 4MW of power to supply 8,000 homes how many would be needed to supply Dublin alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Discussion on this at Irish Economy may be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

we have geo thermal potential ha ha ?

where in ireland do we have hot springs bubbling up to the surface, boiling mud pools anyone? apart from Lisdoonvarna in Clare.

it sounds like patent nonsence

this sounds as fanciful/ridiculous as putting a custom made ski resort in mulhuddart or that miscanthus lark.eu needs to examine this appa rent waste of f unding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

where in ireland do we have hot springs bubbling up to the surface, boiling mud pools anyone? apart from Lisdoonvarna in Clare.
    Maybe that's why they call it deep geothermal energy.

• Advertisement

this sounds as fanciful/ridiculous as putting a custom made ski resort in mulhuddart or that miscanthus lark.eu needs to examine this appa rent waste of f unding
    I think I trust the opinion/knowledge of the investors who are about to put €30m of their money where their mouths are ahead of this sort of drivel.

This technology is actually really low tech when you think about it. Germany makes good use of it and I can't say I've seen any bubbling mud around here! Did you bother reading the bit about them needing to drill down 4,000 metres to get the good stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

And here I was about to post about how nice it was to see there was no begrudgery in this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

According to the SEAI maps a plant near Edenderry might work at the 2500m level, and there's a smaller zone just where the N16 crosses into NI. Lots of potential in NI.

http://maps.seai.ie/geothermal/

easy to call 'devil's advocacy`begrudgery. i sense tommyrot charlatanry quick & not without foundation, thanks.

so how much/ or little do u kno of geology; apart from that tract from hi school geography text books that none of us care to rememeber

so what visible evidence do we have of phenomena of a geo-thermal nature which is documented in ireland.

i'm waiting.....

nobody has enlightened on this yet

200 temporary navvie jobs and 1..5..

hooray. period

What are your qualifications in this field if you are able to say with such certainty that there isn't something suitable deep underground?

i am merely casting aspersions on the plausibility of this scheme. everyone here seems to blithely believe in it , without any first hand experience of this energy source. Who is the outside expertise; no mention of that in any article feeds that i can see. its not begrudgery.

i am merely casting aspersions on the plausibility of this scheme. everyone here seems to blithely believe in it , without any first hand experience of this energy source. Who is the outside expertise; no mention of that in any article feeds that i can see. its not begrudgery.
    Can you use Google or is that technology also unviable?

we're not germany, or could ever hope to be. i got the rancour straight away.

no Irish placenames allude to hot subterranean water; with Ger you have placenames like Bad Wurttemberg, Baden Baden..

no outside expertise involved in this here & and nobody has answered my question thus far. ("..so what visible evidence do we have of phenomena of a geo-thermal nature which is documented in ireland.

nobody has enlightened on this yet further up yet"
    [/B][/B]
    funny how this geo-thermal water dont emerge out somewhere. it must escape out of irish terrain somewhere #yawn#

keep divining folks

• Advertisement

we're not germany, or could ever hope to be. i got the rancour straight away.

no Irish placenames allude to hot subterranean water; with Ger you have placenames like Bad Wurttemberg, Baden Baden..

no outside expertise involved in this here & and nobody has answered my question thus far. ("..so what visible evidence do we have of phenomena of a geo-thermal nature which is documented in ireland.

[/B][/B]
    funny how this geo-thermal water dont emerge out somewhere. it must escape out of irish terrain somewhere #yawn#

keep divining folks
    Look, what do you care? It's not your 30 mil going down the hole. If it's a lame duck, none of us will lose a penny. If it produces the goods, then great! win win.

So you still don't understand the meaning of the word "deep"? As in, I believe their tests have found, nearly 1.5km deep? They're not talking about surface geysers here. I don't think people naming places hundreds of years ago would be aware.

oh i don't give a toss to be honest, a cara. pie in the sky. may give Tallaght Stadium some under-soil heating for winter airtricity games.. I'm surprised if they don't find themselves drilling in places that have since been built over by nama estates ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Don't like feeding trolls but as you asked ...
    Where else is there a hot spring?
    Mallow ....
    http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=wv3p2pxxx0807370&size=largest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

This is a great scheme , hope it works out

MYOB wrote: »
    LOL, not too far from the site of the proposed geothermal plant. Great find! Sad it never really got off the ground.

also a great scheme:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-stories/2010/07/07/green-spirit-of-ireland/

but its no longer given air-time. wonder if its killed off, idea aborted : /

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

..so what visible evidence do we have of phenomena of a geo-thermal nature which is documented in ireland.

keep divining folks

Why do you need visible evidence? They're not investing for the laugh, i'm sure. I presume there is a business case backed up by documented scientific evidence. Just because there are no obvious signs above ground, doesn't mean there aren't resources under the ground.

• Advertisement

visible evidence for justification thats all. as of a link from 1995 above, there is/was apparently very little subterranean thermal activity that we knew of existing here back then..

its unlike Germany and France aforementioned; the evidence is more evident And tangible for them

"Where else is there a hot spring?
    Mallow ....
    http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-p...0&size=largest
    "

to get the hopes up of the general popl. requires something substantive now. rumors of oil off Dalkey seemed tantalising, sadly.
    not investing for a laugh - no outside expertise or input tho'; seems they're going solo with this..

Advertisement