Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm that neighbour with the barking dog...

Options
  • 26-09-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

...and it's driving me mad. We have two terriers. One is a year old, the other a year and a half. the older one barks at birds. Bees. Flies. Butterflies. Wasps. Cats. Anything at all. He runs around the garden growling (there he goes now) then it breaks out into a round of annoying yapping. I'm very conscious of it. The neighbours say it doesn't bother them. Maybe it doesn't, but I'm aware that MY dog is barking and eventually it might become a problem. My husband is ready to give him away. I'm not. I love the two of them and I'd be lost. They put me in a good mood no matter what the day is like.
    We've tried the noise collar. Worked brilliantly, he was like a mime artist running around the garden. Then the second one came along. He'd do a bit of barking and set off the collar. Then the neighbours cat would arrive on the scene, sit on the fence flicking the end of his tail and the dogs would go insane. They couldn't hear the collar then. We've tried it again a few times but the barking becomes much less annoying that the beeping the collar gives off. They stay in the house at night and out during the day. If we're going out I keep them in in case he barks. I've confined him alone in his run. Kept him in. Thrown water on him. Given the other fella a treat and not him. (he steals it anyway) I don't want to give him away, he's a lovely, friendly dog, loves attention but I can't keep him if the barking continues. :confused:
    Any suggestions? Magic wands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sounds like the dogs are bored and have pent up energy. Long long walks everyday will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i wonder would a muzzle help, there are nice soft muzzles selling, if it were put on when he gets excited it could help,there is also the bark collar, but i would not like to use it as it give off a little shock every time he barks, after a while it will stop the barking

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Talk to a dog trainer sooner rather than later. You can train the dog to bark on command which means that the dog tends not to bark if they haven't been given the command.

And it does sounds like he's bored and energetic - are both dogs getting a good walk every day? Perhaps give him free run of the house when there's someone at home.

This thing is a notorious problem when people leave their dogs outside. Bringing them in doesn't always solve the problem, but it's know to help.

And shock collars are not a good idea. You can google it, but you're basically running an electric shock through your dog for barking. At best it can lead to behavioural problems, but it can also lead to severe burns and even death if the device malfunctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lynda67

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not really sure about the muzzle or the shock collar to be honest. Can the dog eat and drink with a muzzle? I'll google it.
    I should have said in my post. He doesn't bark a huge amount most of the day. They play together and the back door is generally open so they can come in and out to the kitchen. I'm a sahm so most of the time I am here. Or the kids are here. It's seldom the place is empty for long periods of time. But the real barking doesn't start until evening time. Dusk. He will bark during the day but not for long. When the neighbours start to arrive home (probably totally coincidental) but I'm aware of his barking more so then. The darker it gets he just races around the garden. I take him/them in but it's a constant pester to get out again. They like being outside..we'll see if they feel the same when the weather gets colder.
    I feel a bit mad saying this but when it's a full moon he just goes mad...there's no getting his attention. The other fella isn't bothered at all...maybe he just can't get a bark in with all the noise the other fella makes!!:D I think though it's just that the full moon is bright and so makes the birds/bats? more obvious or whatever it is he's barking at. I can't see what it is tbh. Cloudy nights aren't so bad. Rainy days there is very little barking done.
    I have done the wearing out thing - playing with them, playing fetch and catch, when they get a hold of the toy there's a play struggle between them for a few minutes so there is a lot of activity.
    I'll ring a behavioural expert and hope that I can come up with a solution. the bottom line is there really is no reason for him to be barking. They are a bit spoiled. Up on the couch at night. Even the comfort of that doesn't stop him from wanting to be out. I get them pigs ears and give that at night to see if it will keep him occupied. Doesn't work for long. Or he hides it until he's done barking then brings it in.
    Will make a few calls and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

lynda67 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not really sure about the muzzle or the shock collar to be honest. Can the dog eat and drink with a muzzle? I'll google it.
    I should have said in my post. He doesn't bark a huge amount most of the day. They play together and the back door is generally open so they can come in and out to the kitchen. I'm a sahm so most of the time I am here. Or the kids are here. It's seldom the place is empty for long periods of time. But the real barking doesn't start until evening time. Dusk. He will bark during the day but not for long. When the neighbours start to arrive home (probably totally coincidental) but I'm aware of his barking more so then. The darker it gets he just races around the garden. I take him/them in but it's a constant pester to get out again. They like being outside..we'll see if they feel the same when the weather gets colder.
    I feel a bit mad saying this but when it's a full moon he just goes mad...there's no getting his attention. The other fella isn't bothered at all...maybe he just can't get a bark in with all the noise the other fella makes!!:D I think though it's just that the full moon is bright and so makes the birds/bats? more obvious or whatever it is he's barking at. I can't see what it is tbh. Cloudy nights aren't so bad. Rainy days there is very little barking done.
    I have done the wearing out thing - playing with them, playing fetch and catch, when they get a hold of the toy there's a play struggle between them for a few minutes so there is a lot of activity.
    I'll ring a behavioural expert and hope that I can come up with a solution. the bottom line is there really is no reason for him to be barking. They are a bit spoiled. Up on the couch at night. Even the comfort of that doesn't stop him from wanting to be out. I get them pigs ears and give that at night to see if it will keep him occupied. Doesn't work for long. Or he hides it until he's done barking then brings it in.
    Will make a few calls and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming.

Its great that you play with them, but how long do you walk them for each day? Thats very different than playing, and will wear them out more.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Have you tried the spray collars? Its a collar that fits a sort of little box under the dog's chin and everytime he barks, he gets a spray of liquid up against his chin. You can get one that doesn't smell at all, and another that smells like citronella. I've heard pretty good things about them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ISDW wrote: »
    Its great that you play with them, but how long do you walk them for each day? Thats very different than playing, and will wear them out more.
    Indeed. If they're Jack Russells then I know they can be very yappy in their own territory and full of energy despite being little dogs. One of my parents JRTs will walk 5 miles with you, pulling full pelt on the lead all the way and then pull on the lead for the walk back too. My own dog is 3 times the size and will walk 5 gentle miles with you and then lie and snooze for the rest of the day, even if you're in the middle of nowhere.

When you get in from the walk, the dog should want to have a drink of water and then climb into their favourite spot and chill out. If the dog is still sprinting about after their walk, you haven't walked far enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Shanao wrote: »
    Have you tried the spray collars? Its a collar that fits a sort of little box under the dog's chin and everytime he barks, he gets a spray of liquid up against his chin. You can get one that doesn't smell at all, and another that smells like citronella. I've heard pretty good things about them so far.

I actually bought one of these but didnt find it good at all!
    The piece on the collar is quite big and heavy and annoyed the dog so much that she would bark and growl with the collar on and the spray would be gone within a couple of minutes and the dog was still wrestling with the collar!
    I have it sitting at home if by any chance the OP or anyone else wants to try it tho!

..erm...I don't walk them at all. Bad owner! Lots of reasons I don't mainly health but time is a factor, kids schedules, life etc. I should though. And I will if that would help. I spoke to my vet and the behaviour expert will be in and available to speak to me tomorrow. I will try anything. Including the spray collar - I'll pm you bookkeeper.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

lynda67 wrote: »
    ..erm...I don't walk them at all. Bad owner! Lots of reasons I don't mainly health but time is a factor, kids schedules, life etc. I should though. And I will if that would help. I spoke to my vet and the behaviour expert will be in and available to speak to me tomorrow. I will try anything. Including the spray collar - I'll pm you bookkeeper.

:)

Absolutely try walking them first before you trying any lotions or potions, the amount of behavioural 'problems' that can be fixed by the dog getting adequate exercise is amazing. If you can't do it yourself see if you can get a dog walker, it will be cheaper in the long run than buying gadgets etc. and your dogs will be so much happier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Walking will help! absolutely no question about that. I would imagine it'll be the first thing the behavourist says to you also.

I have 3 terriers and a Springer and my life would be hell if the terriers didn't get at least one long walk every day. If you're struggling with health maybe a local teenager could help or your own children if they are old enough?

Even if you can't take them on a long walk a short one will improve things for you. I understand how difficult it can be to find the time. I used to work till at least 6 every day and I have a very demanding child but I chose to have dogs so they had to be slotted in. I have to say walking them has improved my health no end. I have had some serious back problems but since I have had the dogs and got fit because of them, my back is 100% better than it was.

There is no doubt in my mind that walking them will make a huge change, a tired dog is a happy dog, and happy dogs don't need to bark (or yap and yelp if they're like mine :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is the garden well lit? I find my westie has less unknowns to bark at, when she can see stuff. IE: a bush is a bush, and not a big weird shadow that should be barked at.

If they can see out, I find having a light near the window will give a mirror effect, so that she sees less of the outside world at night, and thus less to bark at.

Finally, get a good sturdy garden glove. My westie breed are usually ratters, so she attacks the glove as if it were a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

Hi Lynda67!

Barking is a self-awarding behavior which means that the more your dog barks, the more more he likes it. With time it can become a very hard to break habit.

It will be no harm to try walking and tiring them, terriers are very active dogs and without exercise the excess of energy must be bursting out of them. I doubt it will be a silver bullet though.
    You could try convincing them, that barking at the back means the end of fun? Bark = say 'no' and bring them back home and close the garden door. If they cool down and relax they can go back. You and your family members would have to be very consistent for it to take any effect.

Here's a link to an ASPCA article on dealing with barking, hope you will find something useful there:
    http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/41/Barking.aspx

Thanks again all of you for taking the time to post. Here's the update. I have been walking them every day. They love it. They see the collar and lead and we're off. They are all full of business and I walk them until their pace slows and they are leading me home...you were so right about getting worn out...I'm knackered!:D They dogs are loving it and the fresh air is good for all of us. BUT soon as I get him them home I take them out the back garden on the lead, they drink, they pee (on top of the 50 million stops to mark the territory) Then tonight I brought them out, one fella got a hold of Otis' collar while Otis pulled back and off came the collar...I have smart dogs! Off they went barking. I thought 'where's my gun?' Then getting him in is the problem. eventually I got him in.
    I also called the vet and she put me in touch with an animal behaviourist. she's coming out to the house to 'sort us out'. We need sorting too it seems LOL.
    So there it is in a nut shell. I had no idea that barking was self rewarding.:confused: He must feel very rewarded these days.

Heading to that link now.

Thanks again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

Hi Lynda67,

How did you get on with the animal behaviourist ?
    Any improvements ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Hey OP, you terrier needs plenty of exercise, time for some lateral thinking to stop the barking...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsOsxbAySGo&feature=related

Advertisement