Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most misused word on boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fail!

How so? It's merely a subjective opinion being expressed by an individual. Fine if the term is used in funny photos captions, otherwise a general cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I've noticed collage being used instead of college on quite a few occasions. Even by people who are attending such institutions.

Also, councillor instead of counsellor. I once got an infraction on another forum for informing a poster that his elected local government representative was unlikely to be the person to provide good advice on his marital difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

subway wrote: »
    mute point
    wtf does that even mean?

I'd go into an explanation, but it'd be moot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I just read a post where the poster used the 'word' guna instead of going to. I want to reach inside her throat and pull out her stomach and stamp on it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

The abuse of the apostrophe in "it's" when it should be its.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

LOL

I'm disagreeing with your post and I've absolutely nothing to back up my point, so I'll stick a LOL at the end and that'll make everything okay.

No it doesn't, and no, I'm not laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Complaints about "Wreckless" driving. I'm quite happy when I achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Weary / wary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Think I've yet to see the word "liberal" used correctly in these parts. Especially when used as an adjective.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    :confused:
    What's that got to do with this thread?

I was referring to how people misuse the word 'ironic' and 'irony' all the time.

This is usually done by users who's posts consistently have a sarcastic tone, for little or no reason.

When people then reply to their posts, after missing the sarcasm angle, they will reply in turn with something along the lines of:

"I was being ironic" or other such rantings about how people missed the obvious "irony" in their post.

I like to think of it as Alanis Morissette Syndrome.

"The ironing is delicious" being another favoured term by the sufferers of that particular disease.

So, in summary .. two words I am putting forward as being "most misused on Boards" are: 'irony' and 'ironic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

brake and break
    metre and meter

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

to/too - this one drives me nuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I was referring to how people misuse the word 'ironic' and 'irony' all the time.

This is usually done by users who's posts consistently have a sarcastic tone, for little or no reason.

When people then reply to their posts, after missing the sarcasm angle, they will reply in turn with something along the lines of:

"I was being ironic" or other such rantings about how people missed the obvious "irony" in their post.

I like to think of it as Alanis Morissette Syndrome.

"The ironing is delicious" being another favoured term by the sufferers of that particular disease.

So, in summary .. two words I am putting forward as being "most misused on Boards" are: 'irony' and 'ironic'.

How stupid are people who dont understand irony...

My dad keeps telling me I dont understand irony. Which was pretty ironic because he was in the car at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Our old friend literally. I was literally flying it home... I literally shat myself with excitement...On the plus side when people don't use it correctly it's pretty funny

Dammit I wanted to say this. My head literally exploded when I saw your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Robert Downey Jr was in a couple of films in the last few years; ironically.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, course you were.

There's a little sarcasm for ya :D

This is actually the primary definition of ironic.

The secondary definition is encapsulated in your post as a whole.

Alanis' version is definition 5.

"Overused" does not inherently mean "misused".

People tend to like to label their posts as being 'ironic' and containing 'irony' as prehaps they feel that it makes them look somewhat more intelligent than if they just said: "actually, I was being sarcastic", which nine times out of ten, is in fact what they are being.

"Overused" does not inherently mean "misused".

I'm not sure who said 'overused' but I challenge you to give me a sentence that's sarcastic but not ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

I dispute your dictionary definition!:P It's an American dictionary and everyone knows Americans don't understand irony. Here's the Oxford English dictionary's only definition of ironic:

adjective
    using or characterized by irony:
    happening in a way contrary to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this:
    [with clause] :
    it was ironic that now everybody had plenty of money for food they couldn't obtain it because everything was rationed

Much better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Someone has far too much time on their hands.

.. I challenge you to give me a sentence that's sarcastic but not ironic.

No problem.

Let's say I'm homeless and you come up to me and ask me if I would be interested in buying a new fitted kitchen and I reply with:

"Yeah mate, I would indeed be interested in a new kitchen, as I have just recently spent a mint on this here new bedroom and as I'm sure you can appreciate, the last thing I would want is to be neglecting the other areas of four bedroomed semi detached piece of cardboard".

Now, the above is sarcasm and not irony.

The homeless man just utilized irony to make the joke.

To call what the homeless man said 'ironic', is incorrect.

The homeless man was being sarcastic, the sentence employed irony, it didn't and shouldn't define it.

You should all have a read of this. It's wikipedia but pretty accurate.

You should all have a read of this. It's wikipedia but pretty accurate.

Seems to me that you are the one that needs to read it.
    .. give me a sentence that's sarcastic but not ironic.

A quick look at that wiki link you provided and you will see:
    Sarcasm does not necessarily involve irony & irony has often no touch of sarcasm.

Assuming you understand the words 'necessarily' and 'often' you'll quickly understand that in your example the homeless man was being ironic.
    A figure of speech in which the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used; usually taking the form of sarcasm or ridicule in which laudatory expressions are used to imply condemnation or contempt.

Assuming you understand the words 'necessarily' and 'often' you'll quickly understand that in your example the homeless man was being ironic.

He wasn't being ironic and that is what winds up the right thinking people of this world on this issue.

Fools going around being sarcastic all the time and then saying they were "just being ironic" when people challenge them.

The homeless guy was being sarcastic and irony was just employed in the sentence.

Give up, Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

liah wrote: »
    "taught" instead of "thought," or vice versa. Just because some of you don't pronounce "th" doesn't mean you can randomly add or subtract h's where you feel like it! This is a distinctly Irish thing, too.

No it's not.

• Advertisement

Give up, Pete.

Course I will.

I'm being ironic, apparently.

Advertisement