Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock solid Kippure reception DTT near Arklow lately-South beam now??

Options

Comments

The eircom site obviously asked too much money,so the government owned an post to the rescue.
    Yes I agree,theres high ground in the town and indeed plenty parts of the town to the west that are going to probably need aerials for this...if thats the case,it's another example of folly.
    I'm wondering did rtenl do any testing before picking there or was it a blindfold wearing dart thrown at a map ?

But any high ground overlooking the town should get a signal as they have a view of it.
    I'm thinking ballyfad for instance and barniskey.
    Ballycoogue will lose rte altogether after 2012,as will coolgreaney across to johnstown/ballycoogue,down to woodenbridge etc and thats 100's of homes in one small area of ireland that currently get analogue but wont get mt leinster dtt unless it goes to ch 39 or any other non presely channel.

Thats what aerial people tell me.

Satellite for them then or sky? wow rte wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If RTÉNL did do any testing they obviously read the instructions wrong. 'Where is the worst places to put a signal rather than where's the worst place to get a signal.' :D
    I'm including ML Ch45 in this (ahemm) logic.:D

Isn't it gas how they picked a government owned site.....just like that.
    Rather than researching what they were doing.

p.s kippure is back for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Kippure is gone for me this evening :/ it first started to break up quickly and then zero signal which suggests to me a panel was moved or taken down again.

The mast for arklow is at the post sorting office and not where I thought.
    It's actually at a part of the town that can see most if not all of the rest of the town.
    It's not quite so good for that poster at woodlands but we'll see.They may now need an outdoor aerial.
    From my mast at the twins you can see all of arklow so I shouldn't have a problem at about a mile away as the crow flies but again we'll see.

For 1000's in rural wexford and south wicklow,the cheapest,easiest solution is for rte to switch mt leinster to ch 39

Hi, I'm in wexford town, living in an apartment and there is a group aerial facing towards wales. On traditional Analogue, I get TV3 and TG4 perfectly, RTE2 isn't great, and there's no RTE1 at all. I used get RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and TV3 test card perfectly until the mount leinster messing started. What is the best way for me to get the digital again? has anyone else here experience of getting it from Kippure in Wexford Town? I'd have no problem getting another aerial - preferably a small one that i could have indoors.

Thanks

You might get a signal from Suir valley which iirc is on ch 52.
    Many in wexford town I understand already do.
    It's near pilltown co kilkenny.
    Obviously that will mean repointing of your mt leinster uhf aerial.
    If thats a group A,it will need to be changed to a wideband.

I assume you can get presely UK freeview on the existing communal presely aerial?
    If you had analogue and nothing was dismantled?

• Advertisement

You might get a signal from Suir valley which iirc is on ch 52.
    Many in wexford town I understand already do.
    It's near pilltown co kilkenny.
    Obviously that will mean repointing of your mt leinster uhf aerial.
    If thats a group A,it will need to be changed to a wideband.

I assume you can get presely UK freeview on the existing communal presely aerial?
    If you had analogue and nothing was dismantled?

I've got a satellite dish and a Sony 32W5810, with which I am getting freesat. I do searches from time to time on digital and never picked up freeview. Am I going about this the right way? Nothing was dismantled. I'm not sure about making changes to the communal aerial - I'd probably need to run it by the landlady. It'd be easier to put up a small aerial inside. Have you any idea what signal strength piltown is received at in wexford town? I'm close enough to the sea (close to the co. council offices) so I might be on the wrong side of the hill. Thanks a million for the response.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67488105&postcount=382

Theres a report on ch52 reception in wexford.
    If your aerial is high,try a manual tune on ch52 and see if you can get anything.
    Realistically,you'd have to put a new wideband up on the communal mast.

It would be good too if you and your fellow residents would contact a local T.D [Michael Darcy and Brendan Howlin are both aware of this] and ask why RTE can't move to ch 39 instead of ch45 and that would vastly improve reception in wexford town with no presely wales interference.

The channel is cleared for use at mt leinster,it's just that it's not licenced for RTE...which in fairness is just a signiture on a piece of paper,theres nothing to stop it.
    They say it's for commercial services but lol,they will never happen.
    Besides even if they did,there are other channels that are also free of wales interference that can be used like the existing tg4 and tv3 channels when analogue is switched off in december 2012 and also ch's 30 and 34.

Talk about officialdom being awkward for awkwards sake.

This will all hit the fan in 2012 when people who have perfect analogue now will be told by said officialdom to go get a sat dish....
    Lol being asked to get a sat dish when its so much easier for rte mt leinster to go on a freely available uhf channel other than a preseli one...

I've got a satellite dish and a Sony 32W5810, with which I am getting freesat. I do searches from time to time on digital and never picked up freeview. Am I going about this the right way? Nothing was dismantled. I'm not sure about making changes to the communal aerial - I'd probably need to run it by the landlady. It'd be easier to put up a small aerial inside. Have you any idea what signal strength piltown is received at in wexford town? I'm close enough to the sea (close to the co. council offices) so I might be on the wrong side of the hill. Thanks a million for the response.
    if you had analogue presely,then you should easily have uk freeview from there.
    Is your apartment still connected to the roof welsh aerial?
    There is something wrong if you had analogue and now don't have digital-ie something has been disconnected.
    Was the sat dish installed after presely analogue was switched off? That installer may have snipped a cable.

if you had analogue presely,then you should easily have uk freeview from there.
    Is your apartment still connected to the roof welsh aerial?
    There is something wrong if you had analogue and now don't have digital-ie something has been disconnected.
    Was the sat dish installed after presely analogue was switched off? That installer may have snipped a cable.

I'll do some investigating on the communal aerial this evening. The satellite dish was installed about a year ago. My flatmate had Sky HD and when he moved out, the dish stayed, so I got the new Sony and when I plugged the dish into it, I got the freesat straight away. For a short whole I had both the freesat and the digital RTE. The sat dish is some distance from the analogue (sat is on side of the building, analogue on the roof) so I don't think anyone messing with satellite dishs mucked up the analogue. I am still getting RTE 2 (poorly) and TV3 ad TG4 (decently) on the analogue aerial, so I don't think anything was snipped.
    I see from techtir (http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorview) that forth mountain will be part of the rollout in oct/nov 10. Will this solve my problem for me? forth is so close to wexford town that I should get some kind of digital signal, even if the aerial is pointing the wrong way. I'll write to the TD regardless - it's a ridiculous situation!

forth will be very low power and isn't on yet.
    It may be by november 1st.

Write to both of those t.d's if you can summarising the situation posted by me above.
    When writing to Brendan howlin,you might note to him that his colleague liz mcmanus took up the ch45 and presely issue with rte before in committee in the dail.
    The people who have the power to sort the issue are comreg who would if only they were made more aware of it.
    RTE apparently aren't telling them as I refuse to believe if rte engineering aka rtenl wanted to move the public service channels to 39 and 34,that comreg would object.
    I reckon rte are just not bothering to ask for that change.
    Local t.d's will have to put pressure on comreg and rte for that.
    It's not a hot topic yet you see untill people discover analogue will be gone and digital unreceivable by people with welsh aerials and difficult even without one.

• Advertisement

I dont know your set up but there should be a separate cable for the communal aerial.
    The sat one is different.
    If it was a year ago,that installer may well have cut something en route to where the tv is , not necessarally at the actual aerial.
    If you pm me,I can let you have the number of someone very good that would look at it for you and get everything going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thought I'd jump in on this thread rather than start a new one.
    I live near Courtown and have been getting perfect DTT reception for about a year, using a rabbits' ears and a Sagem Picnic box.
    That is, until a few weeks ago. All RTE channels went off air for two days and now flash up only intermittently, with the box flashing the message "check aerial connections".
    Nothing has changed in the set up, I haven't moved the aerial or anything. If I try to retune, the tuner stops only briefly at channel 45, then goes on to report "no channels found". Any clues?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

engineering works at Mount Leinster this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sbabu_irl

Kippure is gone for me this evening :/ it first started to break up quickly and then zero signal which suggests to me a panel was moved or taken down again.

The mast for arklow is at the post sorting office and not where I thought.
    It's actually at a part of the town that can see most if not all of the rest of the town.
    It's not quite so good for that poster at woodlands but we'll see.They may now need an outdoor aerial.
    From my mast at the twins you can see all of arklow so I shouldn't have a problem at about a mile away as the crow flies but again we'll see.

For 1000's in rural wexford and south wicklow,the cheapest,easiest solution is for rte to switch mt leinster to ch 39

Was away for few days and didnt get the time to catch up on this thread. So bad news for me then as woodlands is not an ideal position if the mast is at new anpost sorting center.

I will wait for the transmission to start and then invest on the right aerial. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

As mentioned in a previous thread I normally receive the Welsh Freeview on my Preseli aerial at 93% quality and Ch. 54 at around 54% on my Technomate Combo in North Wexford. This is satisfactory for me as I can get the UK Freeview and Irish DTT on the one EPG.

However yesterday afternoon I found that Preseli had dropped back to about 40% quality (perhaps due to fog or other as sometimes happens. When I tried Ch. 54 I found that this had jumped up to 93% quality. Is this usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Verso wrote: »
    As mentioned in a previous thread I normally receive the Welsh Freeview on my Preseli aerial at 93% quality and Ch. 54 at around 54% on my Technomate Combo in North Wexford. This is satisfactory for me as I can get the UK Freeview and Irish DTT on the one EPG.

However yesterday afternoon I found that Preseli had dropped back to about 40% quality (perhaps due to fog or other as sometimes happens. When I tried Ch. 54 I found that this had jumped up to 93% quality. Is this usual?

Could be interferrence but i doubt it since its mt leinster on ch 45 and preslie being on ch 45-46 or similar (can someone remind me of the correct channel) thats being causing the problmes there....

you getting Irish DTT via Mt Leinster?

Most likely due to weather conditions. I've been getting a few brief drop-outs on Preseli and at the same time Caradon Hill and Redruth are showing up from Devon. Such is the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Could be interferrence but i doubt it since its mt leinster on ch 45 and preslie being on ch 45-46 or similar (can someone remind me of the correct channel) thats being causing the problmes there....

you getting Irish DTT via Mt Leinster?

I can get Mount Leinster Ch 45 on a separate aerial but I have to disconnect Preseli and which I do not like doing. I prefer to receive Irish DTT on Ch 54 Kippure as this is not co-channel with Preseli.

Gerry, I agree it possibly is weather conditions but I am curious if anyone else has noticed this type of reception in the general area.

Verso wrote: »

Yes this is usual.
    Kippure dtt reception to the south of the wicklow mountains gets strong during rain.
    It is the same for VHF from there.

It something atmospherical about the rain that both signals seem to like coming down through the wicklow mtns.
    Don't ask me what because I simply don't know.
    I just know that it happens.

Fog extensively over presely's seapath is probably what dropped your presely reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magic
    Real RF & Communication people only pretend to use Maths & Physics. They have the Robes and secret protocols.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    Magic
    Real RF & Communication people only pretend to use Maths & Physics. They have the Robes and secret protocols.

............... and pointed hats.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

--- lined with Tin Foil.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Finally! The DTT transmitter in Arklow is working - scanned tonight and got all the usual channels on Ch 21. At least I presume that's what I'm getting - quality is 10. I'm on Arklow Northside. A new channel since I last had decent DTT is the HD test Channel - no longer a test card but crystal clear footage of the DART on Dublin coastline!
    Happy days, but I suppose it could be gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

newleaf wrote: »
    Finally! The DTT transmitter in Arklow is working - scanned tonight and got all the usual channels on Ch 21. At least I presume that's what I'm getting - quality is 10. I'm on Arklow Northside. A new channel since I last had decent DTT is the HD test Channel - no longer a test card but crystal clear footage of the DART on Dublin coastline!
    Happy days, but I suppose it could be gone tomorrow.

Im 3 miles south of arklow and am still only picking up from mount leinster i think (600-660mhz range) - had massive problems with fading and channel loss tonight after 9 - should i be able to recieve from the arklow relay? im using an indoor ariel btw :P

nothing here either 2kms wnw of the site...

CH21 blasting in here as expected also a dead carrier on Ch24. Tuners wont lock onto it but 90%+ Sig
    Bye Bye Caradon Hill (for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Noticed Ch 58 is active today, anyone else in kippure tx area getting this or am I perhaps getting it from Three Rock ?

Im 3 miles south of arklow and am still only picking up from mount leinster i think (600-660mhz range) - had massive problems with fading and channel loss tonight after 9 - should i be able to recieve from the arklow relay? im using an indoor ariel btw :P

I'd say unlikely on indoor aerial. I'm using old (and minus one prong!) VHF aerial on roof. Will try an indoor aerial over weekend and report back, but even if it works here, it'll hardly be ok at your distance.

nothing here either 2kms wnw of the site...

That's disappointing. You're pic of the mast must have got them going!! Have you physical obstacles in the way? I was hoping a friend near Lil Doyle's pub in Barndarrig would get it but it seems unlikely if you can't get it 2kms away.

• Advertisement

I got it briefly on ch 24 today alright.
    Signal level is at 60% but quality is 10.

Swinging the aerial around towards it and vertical polarity and I'd say I'll have it solid.

It looks to be beaming more to the north north east.

High pressure will bring in enough caradon hill to interfere with fringe reception.
    I'd imagine arklow rock is completely blocking this tx for warlikedave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement