Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock solid Kippure reception DTT near Arklow lately-South beam now??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

newleaf wrote: »
    I'd say unlikely on indoor aerial. I'm using old (and minus one prong!) VHF aerial on roof. Will try an indoor aerial over weekend and report back, but even if it works here, it'll hardly be ok at your distance.

Am reciveing mount leinster on this indoor ariel - ye would think the arklow transmitter would have enough power to reach 5 miles without a big outdoor ariel if mount leinster can do it from 50-60 miles away :D Still this arklow transmitter doent stop interferrence from preslie and only puts rte on anothr channel while alose broadcasting on ch 45 on mount leinster and interferring with preslie

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Am reciveing mount leinster on this indoor ariel - ye would think the arklow transmitter would have enough power to reach 5 miles without a big outdoor ariel if mount leinster can do it from 50-60 miles away :D Still this arklow transmitter doent stop interferrence from preslie and only puts rte on anothr channel while alose broadcasting on ch 45 on mount leinster and interferring with preslie

Tried indoor DTT aerial at home today, and got nothing! Tried it in friend's house near Lil Doyle's in Barndarrig, no luck. He can't get Arklow transmissions at all - I think his aerial is pointing north (for Kippure?) and it's horizontal. I gather it would have to point south to Arklow and be vertical to be in with a chance? Before he does that I'm sure he'd like to know whether Arklow mast transmits that far up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

I got it briefly on ch 24 today alright.
    Signal level is at 60% but quality is 10.

Swinging the aerial around towards it and vertical polarity and I'd say I'll have it solid.

It looks to be beaming more to the north north east.

High pressure will bring in enough caradon hill to interfere with fringe reception.
    I'd imagine arklow rock is completely blocking this tx for warlikedave.
    it is i think...ill have to get a map out - i am a few miles SW of arklow and the transmitter...:P Still signal has being steady from mount leinster thru the indorr ariel soit will do for now - shall rescan again soon enough
    newleaf wrote: »
    Tried indoor DTT aerial at home today, and got nothing! Tried it in friend's house near Lil Doyle's in Barndarrig, no luck. He can't get Arklow transmissions at all - I think his aerial is pointing north (for Kippure?) and it's horizontal. I gather it would have to point south to Arklow and be vertical to be in with a chance? Before he does that I'm sure he'd like to know whether Arklow mast transmits that far up.

In regards to the indoor ariel or outdoor? - if its indoor its omni directional i presume so the only real thing you will need to do is mess around with the vhf rabbit ears and slowly move the uhf reciever...mine was suppoed to be omni directional but i noticed that in a certain postion for vhf rabbit ears and the uhf circular reciever it will recieve mount leinster and in another certain position it will pick up preslie (very weak tho at the moment) - as for outdoor - that will all depend on the ariel and where you want to recieve it from...(sorrmy ive little experience with outdoor ariels)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sbabu_irl

As I stated earlier I am in woodlands area in Arklow. Its only 500 meters from the Arklow mast but the estate is in a dip.

I want to try if I will get the transmisssion using an indoor aerial. Can any one suggest an indoor aerial that I can buy and return if it doesnt work for my area.

Does argos have any good indoor aerials?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no they don't. Nor Tesco

An outdoor aerial in the attic is much better than in-room aerial.

See bottom of this page. http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials
    One of those is €6 in a Eurobargain type store and works better than a €30+ indoor "one for all"

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that you will have no problem receiving it,I have it now on an outdoor unamplified grid aerial vertically polarised 2 kms wnw from the site.
    Simply ask argos before you buy.

Please use the dedicated Arklow thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭marclt

I'll close this thread now chaps, and any further discussion on Mt. Leinster or Arklow can happen in the relevant threads.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement