Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭electrobi

Hi. I usually post under such guises as: anonandro, <something>andro, <something>anon etc. This is my new profile.

I'm a Youth Worker, working with young people aged 12-18 in a "disadvantaged area", alongside a youth justice team. I love my job but my hours have been cut back tremendously. I'm currently taking a break from a Social Care degree; In other words, I fecked off to another country for a few months and didn't bother to fill in my application. So here I am, "getting to know you, getting to know all about you..."

My hobbies include: bombing internet forums, drinking copious amounts if tea, traveling, graphic novels/manga/cosplay, cycling and stalking models.

BTW. No thanks @ Star Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

zoegh wrote: »
    I didn't like the way the Borg ended up just being a bit "BOO! Hahahahah we scared you!" by the end of Voyager, because they were proper badass when Picard went all Locutus.

how they handled the Borg was definitely a low point as well, I loved when they introduced 7 of 9 but as it went on I went from being excited about episodes about the borg to going "oh no" :( you're definitely right, they were extremely badass back in next gen, really unstoppable and powerful. voyager ruined them

what made DS9 really great was that they went their own way, had their own bad guys, and the dominion were really quite bad ass.
    zoegh wrote: »
    And yeah some of the characters of Voyager were annoying (God I wanted to SMACK Chakotay for all his "I shall call my spirit guide" things :mad:), but c'mon... Janeway. FREAKING JANEWAY! Kate Mulgrew is an epic actress, and that voice... HOLY MOLY! :eek:

NYOM NYOM NYOM :D

She's a great actress, but didn't save the series for me. I think most of the characters were annoying, or sometimes just bland and forgettable, like Tuvok or Harry Kim or Kes. there was some really awful episodes too, like that one where Tom Paris turns into some lizard creature for some silly reason? that has to be one of the worst I've seen in any trek series.

I liked Voyager at times, but it just wasn't as good at all as TNG or DS9 or the original series. and it had the worst cast of characters out of the lot. in DS9 even some of the minor characters were brilliant like Garak.
    electrobi wrote: »
    My hobbies include: bombing internet forums, drinking copious amounts if tea, traveling, graphic novels/manga/cosplay, cycling and stalking models.

cool, what kind of graphic novels are you into? I love the Sandman :D and what manga?
    electrobi wrote: »
    BTW. No thanks @ Star Trek.

Awww :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Babylon 5 beats Trek, DS9 was the best of trek but Babylon 5 still wins.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Babylon 5 beats Trek, DS9 was the best of trek but Babylon 5 still wins.

it was probably the better show but I didn't have the same fondness as I did for the next gen. like, I grew up with trek, it was a big part of my childhood, but babylon 5 I didn't see until years after it aired.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Should I just rename this thread Star Trek Chat? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I graduated from college 2 years ago, have a BSc Hons. And now thanks to the R word (thou shalt not speak it's name:mad:) I work in a boring office in the city centre doing completely non-science type things.......meh pays the bills

....oh and I don't watch Star Trek:P

Should I just rename this thread Star Trek Chat? :pac:

we could talk about something else?

like Battlstar galactica! :D

Ever played the Battlestar Galactica board game?

no, I haven't.

Links234 wrote: »
    no, I haven't.

It's a lot of fun, especially when played with a big group of friends :)Here's a bit about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fecking cylons have always won.

I don't think I've ever really played any board games with friends. I remember one time trying to play some game, but we couldn't get the rules so just ended up playing poker instead lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

an old friend of mine was a board game freak, she could play chess or scrabble for hours on end, she was a jigsaw maniac and crossword puzzle enthusiast too. It used to drive me nuts and now I actually miss it. weird.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

How about risk as a board game. Took 5 days to finish one game :p We just used the xboz after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

This is THE nerdiest thread I have ever read on the interwebz:D:D

I have mental images of you all now, and you all look like this in my head:

http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?path=DSN/DSN019/1797294.jpg

:cool:

We're not that bad, I promise! :pac:

This is THE nerdiest thread I have ever read on the interwebz:D:D

I have mental images of you all now, and you all look like this in my head:

http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?path=DSN/DSN019/1797294.jpg

:cool:

no more like THIS :D

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The extent of my Star Trek experience was the recent film, which was fantastic, and one tv episode which was awful.

I'm a contradiction. And liking star trek does not equal nerd btw, unless you greet people in Klingon and dream of attending betazoid wedding.
    I have many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

zxy wrote:
    And liking star trek does not equal nerd btw, unless you greet people in Klingon

"nuqneH!"

;)

• Advertisement

is it nerdy to spend five minutes googling the Klingon word for nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

God I can't believe my favorite part of boards is full of nerds. This is terrible :P Doctor Who anyone? Doctor Who > Star Trek or Battlestar or whatever!!:D

zxy wrote:
    is it nerdy to spend five minutes googling the Klingon word for nerd

http://www.movies-dictionary.org/English-to-Klingon-Dictionary/

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

God I can't believe my favorite part of boards is full of nerds. This is terrible :P Doctor Who anyone? Doctor Who > Star Trek or Battlestar or whatever!!:D

I agree - I hate all sci fi and fantasy (although I did like some fantasy at a younger age)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wish to subscribe to RK's newsletter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

1. Ani Difranco

2. Tracy Chapman

3. David Bowie

4. Maria Taylor

5. CiaCia (only song I can find on youtube is a trailer :P)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think there's much point in me doing the music thing, as I'm close to exclusively in to trance. And appear to be one of only two LGBT in Ireland in that box, the other of which is in Narnia.

I do stray to teenage angsty nu-metal the odd time (I've even seen the lostprophets play 'home gigs' in Wales, twice) though!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I do stray to teenage angsty nu-metal the odd time (I've even seen the lostprophets play 'home gigs' in Wales, twice) though!
    I saw Lostprophets get bottled when they were supporting Metallica in the RDS in 2004 :pac:

Advertisement