Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wannabe Freemason is now a CT mod.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

yekahs wrote: »
    That one is a fact, not a rumour.

I don't believe it! Someone has only gone and changed yekah's avatar since yesterday. :eek:

Yekahs I wanted to do this in the CT thread but apparently I've just been banned. So as well as all the well-wishing I wanted to go further than that and thank you for all the future time your prepared to commit for the sake of other people. And fair play for handling yourself with the composure and grace you carryed yourself with, can't have been easy and it'll probably get harder but I reckon you can handle it.

(now about that ban being lifted...;))

Otherwise fair play to whichever Admin it was who was taking the piss and finally putting your hand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Surprizingly I have a completely different outlook of Admins and Mods after viewing this thread

be good;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

WIZE wrote: »
    Surprizingly I have a completely different outlook of Admins and Mods after viewing this thread

be good;)

I don't know how your views have changed, whether you think better or worse of them now.

My view hasn't changed much. They are, like the rest of us, human[1] and can get things wrong. The more honourable among them can actually admit their errors.

For me, the real benefit of this thread is that there should be less danger of more mistakes of the kind we have been discussing.

[1] I don't think any bots have participated in this thread, although a few posts may have shown less intelligence than a bot might manifest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Given the panel is made up of all the admins, 1 persons vote would not make a difference. And so what if one of the admins was initiated to the first degree or any degree of masonry, that still does not mean they are an active member, plenty people join up get in and then decide it is not for them and then become lapsed or that there is a masonic agenda on the site at all.

Thats like saying just because I have serval initations in to a few different orders and cults that those agendas are being pushed on the forums I mod.
    They aren't even on the paganism forum.

Sorry but you are adding 1 & 1 and getting 9.

Even if you had definitive proof that 1 of the admins at one stage was a mason it would in the context of mod appointment to mean diddlysquat.
    This post has been deleted.

That was the accusation which kicked all of it seems in CT.
    At least they don't know about how the parenting forum is a mod lizard breeding program...opps!

• Advertisement

yekahs wrote: »
    That one is a fact, not a rumour.

Ah were you not warned or did the lube run out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Ok, this is starting (?) to re-visit ground that has already been covered. You have an opportunity to ask an admin whatever you want about the events leading up to and contained in this thread but it appears what was wanted to be asked has already been asked.

This is no longer generating feedback and risks rekindling an argument so, unless there is a question or outstanding query that I've missed I would suggest that we allow DeV close the thread and the admins take the comments as food for thought and work them into our ongoing discussion.

@Brown Bomber: I dont know what you were banned for but you can be sure its not because you disagreed with an admin on this thread. We're not that bad! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Given the panel is made up of all the admins, 1 persons vote would not make a difference. And so what if one of the admins was initiated to the first degree or any degree of masonry, that still does not mean they are an active member, plenty people join up get in and then decide it is not for them and then become lapsed or that there is a masonic agenda on the site at all.

Thats like saying just because I have serval initations in to a few different orders and cults that those agendas are being pushed on the forums I mod.
    They aren't even on the paganism forum.

Sorry but you are adding 1 & 1 and getting 9.

Even if you had definitive proof that 1 of the admins at one stage was a mason it would in the context of mod appointment to mean diddlysquat.

Relax Thaedydal :) ! I am the "mod in question". Of course I know its ludicrous to suggest that I was picked because I have expressed an interest in joining the masons! Especially, seeing as I was considered for the position long before I expressed my interest in the masons.

What I was saying is a fact is
    Thaedydal wrote:
    the other one about the having to offer services to admins and the orgies?

Everyone knows about the orgies, its not a rumour, its a fact! :D

Sorry LoLth I am just aghast at the accusation.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

LoLth wrote: »

@Brown Bomber: I dont know what you were banned for but you can be sure its not because you disagreed with an admin on this thread. We're not that bad! :)

Was tongue in cheek to be honest. Situation's resolved anyway. Satisfactory conclusions all round. :pac:

I'll edit the post in case it causes any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

This is no longer generating feedback and risks rekindling an argument so, unless there is a question or outstanding query that I've missed I would suggest that we allow DeV close the thread and the admins take the comments as food for thought and work them into our ongoing discussion.

One question :) that has not been answered, what Admin changed his avatar for giggles?

Obsufication....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

This is no longer generating feedback and risks rekindling an argument so, unless there is a question or outstanding query that I've missed......

Just two, unless there is something I have missed:
    1. Who was the Admin who decided to fcuk with the guys avatar?
    2. Why hasnt he stood up and said so?

Id say 95% of users would be satisifed if both of those questions were answered and then the thread should be closed.

drkpower wrote: »

Id say 95% of users would be satisifed if both of those questions were answered and then the thread should be closed.

You really think that will happen?

Once again I am proved right :) Now that's sweet :D

OH btw you are right. All someone has to do is man up but...

Also Will Boards Managment be reviewing this thread and be forceing Admins and Mods to practice what they preach in their own forums when posting in other forums as they are representitives and the faces of boards.ie

drkpower wrote: »

I would ask in response, does it matter? The Avatar was changed. Up to now that hasnt been an issue so the admin in question did not break any rules. Poor judgement on the change in the spirit of the community maybe but no actual rule was broken. Going forward, this is what the admins are discussing (the ifs , whens and hows). As I said previously, it is a tool we need to have to perform our role so its not something that can never happen again but, we do need to introduce a set of guidelines for the admisn to follow that has not been necessary until this point.

As I said at first, I do not wish to aid in a public execution or a witch hunt of any description. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have on what has happened and the only answer I can give to the "who" is , one of the admins. Its not closing ranks, I just dont think the exact identity is important to how it is dealt with in the future.

I would ask in response, does it matter? The Avatar was changed. Up to now that hasnt been an issue so the admin in question did not break any rules. Poor judgement on the change in the spirit of the community maybe but no actual rule was broken. Going forward, this is what the admins are discussing (the ifs , whens and hows). As I said previously, it is a tool we need to have to perform our role so its not something that can never happen again but, we do need to introduce a set of guidelines for the admisn to follow that has not been necessary until this point.

As I said at first, I do not wish to aid in a public execution or a witch hunt of any description. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have on what has happened and the only answer I can give to the "who" is , one of the admins. Its not closing ranks, I just dont think the exact identity is important to how it is dealt with in the future.

Yes it does matter. Did you not read the thread? It was the issue. Did you not read the thread? No rules were broken? Did you not read the thread?

OH No "Actual" rules were broken. Nice. Did you not read the thread?

You closed ranks. " Poor judgement" lol.

Man up.

What Admin changed the OPs avatar?

How simple a question is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Looking for heads isn't gonna change squat. It's not the way things have ever been done here anyway.

What's done is done and lessons have been learned. Don't rain on the parade.

Yes it does matter.

why?
    Did you not read the thread?

yes
    It was the issue.

it was AN issue. Not the only one

yes
    No rules were broken?

no-one has ever objected to an avatar change before when that avatar was not against the rules of boards.ie so there has never been a rule in place to cover that eventuality. Now there will be.

yes. wow, there is an echo in here.
    OH No "Actual" rules were broken. Nice.

no. no rules were broken. I refer you to my previous answer. I also refer you to my previous post where I said I would answer polite queries, ie: those form people capable to discussion without resortign to sarcams and generally rude behaviour. If you want to be confrontational dont expect me to respond.

oh, I see what you're doing there...no, wait, I dont.
    You closed ranks.

no we didnt. I just do not think the identity of the admin or admins is pertinent to what needs to be done going forward.
    " Poor judgement" lol.

yes. As in no malice intended. a practical joke pulled at the wrong time on the wrong person. A practical joke that has been pulled before in similar circumstances with little to no reaction and absolutely no objection.
    Man up.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

LOLocats and lock. The question will never be answered. Be proud of yourself... you made life better. :) Keep the train rolling on the traks...

I'm the last person here to be called a yes man, mate.

I'd like to know too, but I have no right to know, nor would it change the (positive) outcome of all this.

Let this end on said positive note, please.

• Advertisement

why?

yes

it was AN issue. Not the only one

yes

no-one has ever objected to an avatar change before when that avatar was not against the rules of boards.ie so there has never been a rule in place to cover that eventuality. Now there will be.

yes. wow, there is an echo in here.

no. no rules were broken. I refer you to my previous answer. I also refer you to my previous post where I said I would answer polite queries, ie: those form people capable to discussion without resortign to sarcams and generally rude behaviour. If you want to be confrontational dont expect me to respond.

oh, I see what you're doing there...no, wait, I dont.

no we didnt. I just do not think the identity of the admin or admins is pertinent to what needs to be done going forward.

yes. As in no malice intended. a practical joke pulled at the wrong time on the wrong person. A practical joke that has been pulled before in similar circumstances with little to no reaction and absolutely no objection.

I do not think that means what you think it means.

So they did wrong? Why can't you say that? What is holding you back??

2 posts deleted as they were not relevant (nice picture though, I smiled :) ). No offense intended to the posters.

Also Will Boards Managment be reviewing this thread and be forceing Admins and Mods to practice what they preach in their own forums when posting in other forums as they are representitives and the faces of boards.ie

Ahmm:confused:

So they did wrong? Why can't you say that? What is holding you back??

hmm, generally thats why an apology is made and an apology has been made. have you not read the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thaedydal wrote: »
    And?

Hang on do you really think the two are related?

Do you know how the mod appointment system works?

The current mods make suggestions which are passed on to the catmod and then to a panel of admins(serval of which can never be masons), not even of the Scottish order.

What a lame rumour, what happened the other one about the having to offer services to admins and the orgies?

Cool the jets Tony, I never said that I thought they were related, I was pointing out DS problem in the first place to Donegalfella

2 posts deleted as they were not relevant (nice picture though, I smiled :) ). No offense intended to the posters.

I smiled too. if only the same apathy could be applied to the help desk

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

You wouldnt consider it a breach of the site's over-riding rule of 'dont be a d!ck', no?
    As for does it matter? Its not a biggie, but an admission of wrongdoing from someone who has done wrong is a good thing - and the Admins, of all people, should realise that.

And its far from a witch-hunt - i advocate no punishment, simply acceptance and accountability.

sorry WIZE, got sidetracked and forgot to come back to this one. Honestly? I dont know what boards.ie management will decide but I'm sure it will be discussed. In general though, mods/cmods and admins are expected to abide by the rules of whatever forum they are modding or in. If modding it is even more important as it would otherwise be unfair to the users. We have lost at least one mod that I can think of because of that very issue and I know of at least one cmod/admin who has stepped down because they felt they could not abide by the more strict rules and still enjoy the site as much as they could before. (and no, I wont divulge or confirm names, that would be unfair to the parties involved)

again, apologies. Didnt mean to ignore your question.

forgot to add: if you feel a mod/cmod or admin is not abiding by the ruels as they should please report the incident and it will be looked into. We mightne agree with you but your complaint or notification wont be dismissed offhand either.

I smiled too. if only the same apathy could be applied to the help desk

;)

Cheers, FYI a new disputes sub forum opened only today.

People are trying to improve things, this site is decidedly not run the way it was before, and there's a drive to make things better.

Give it a chance. The honesty and open mindedness shown here would not have been seen in the past and deserves respect and support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I would ask in response, does it matter? The Avatar was changed. Up to now that hasnt been an issue so the admin in question did not break any rules....

If I had set out to wind up another poster, I am sure that a mod could find a rule that I had broken. I might be infracted or even banned from a forum. If I then went to Help Desk to dispute the ban, claiming that I was doing it for a laugh, I would probably get short shrift.

You have confirmed that an admin changed the avatar. Has any formal action been taken to register disapproval of the admin's action?

I am not asking LoLth for the name of the admin. I note, however, that a number of people have stepped forward in the course of this discussion and apologised for the manner in which they expressed their opinions. I would be pleased if the admin who messed with the avatar were to post here to say that he or she had done it, and now accepts that it was wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement