Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC iPlayer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

dixiefly wrote: »
    I tried to access iPlayer using this method ut I keep on getting a request to install Flash even though I believe I have installed flash.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Where do you get this request from , which browser ? I ask because a friend had the same issue but it turned out she was using the firefox browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Where do you get this request from , which browser ? I ask because a friend had the same issue but it turned out she was using the firefox browser.

You could by the sound of it, use a proxy server sitting in the UK and effectively you will be able to use BBC Player....:D

Regardless of your browser this should do the trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

joeyamg wrote: »
    Looked at various ways of doing this, best free way I've found for getting iplayer to work:

Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the default options. Run setup and make sure you're connected to the network. Green onion will appear in system tray if it is working ok.

Step 2: Download and install mgeni, it's a browser that uses the Tor network to allow you to choose what country you want to route through.

Little bit slow loading webpages (maybe turn off image loading) but video feed is perfect (I've only got a 7mb connection). Much easier than messing with foxy proxy or whatever else.

*Doesn't work for hulu unfortunately

installed everything, connected no problem to bbc site, but all i get is a blank screen (page opens, but player doesnt load) when i select a video to play.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Maybe you are having a problem with Flash. I had to install it again on mine and then I had to retart the PC to get it to work.

I have a query. There is an option to download the programmes but a new browser page opens when you try to do this which is of coursefrom an Irish IP address. Has anyone got around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mwenge

dixiefly wrote: »
    Maybe you are having a problem with Flash. I had to install it again on mine and then I had to retart the PC to get it to work.

I have a query. There is an option to download the programmes but a new browser page opens when you try to do this which is of coursefrom an Irish IP address. Has anyone got around this?

Interesting, I'm the developer of mgeni. Can you post a link that demonstrates the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

Antigone05 wrote: »
    installed everything, connected no problem to bbc site, but all i get is a blank screen (page opens, but player doesnt load) when i select a video to play.

Any ideas?
    This is impressive tor and Mgeni.
    This elegant solution has eluded me for a long time.
    One question where is the cache stored on my computer so that iplayer download can be saved for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Bouncer

Something is going wrong for me. I connect to Tor ok but when I try to connect to BBC it is like there are no relays available have yet to successfully connect.

Running Mac OSX

Something is going wrong for me. I connect to Tor ok but when I try to connect to BBC it is like there are no relays available have yet to successfully connect.

Running Mac OSX
    Hi the bouncer

I do not know if Mgeni works with Mac . You need this simple browser in conjunction with Tor so that you tell the browser which country you want to come from. You may have to have a virtual windows desktop - - the Mgeni just says windows Operating system . There appears to be info on site to build mgeni for other operating systems but you would probably have to be an uber-geek .

Mgeni works on the Mac and loads bbc successfully if I use default settings the issue arises when I set country to UK..TBH it seems more of a relay issue :(

• Advertisement

Mgeni browser opens and tells you that tor is working and that you can browse from another country -- you have to pick country from tool bar -- I just disconnected from tor and reconnected and all seems to work and I am watching BBC iplayer -- obviously something simple but just been missed -- good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

has anyone managed to get any other online streaming channels working using mgeni?

i've tried 4OD and the ITV player, but they don't work.

i also tried a few US ones and iirc CBS was the onyl one that actually worked, the rest of them didn't for one reason or another. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

vibe666 wrote: »
    has anyone managed to get any other online streaming channels working using mgeni?

i also tried a few US ones and iirc CBS was the onyl one that actually worked, the rest of them didn't for one reason or another. :(

Have you chosen the right country from the drop down menu?

You don't have to have Firefox open to use MGeni.

Try rebooting your computer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have used ITV player on that browser and it worked fine. 4OD is available to the Irish Republic but I've seen people mention that it doesn't play via proxy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/9atz9/the_daily_show_if_only_the_glenn_beck_of_sixteen/c0c267a

I have found the above, a firefox pluggin, works for every US network page that I've come across. Some days it works for Hulu, other days it won't.There's no messing with it or switching it on & off once it's installed and set up. It doesn't slow browsing or loading at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I was living up in county down the last couple of months and had bbc i player and rte player which was great :D. don't fancy reading 9 pages of posts but in short, is there anyway around the bbc i player without getting extremely technical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I was living up in county down the last couple of months and had bbc i player and rte player which was great :D. don't fancy reading 9 pages of posts but in short, is there anyway around the bbc i player without getting extremely technical?

You lazy sod :p.

9 pages of posts is nothing.

here you go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65774021&postcount=99

I have used ITV player on that browser and it worked fine. 4OD is available to the Irish Republic but I've seen people mention that it doesn't play via proxy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/9atz9/the_daily_show_if_only_the_glenn_beck_of_sixteen/c0c267a
    lol, i'm such a tool it didn't even occur to me to try 4OD without any proxy. :D

okay, so now with that firefox plugin i can watch Fox, ABC, HBO, NBC, The CW & MyTVNetwork but not CBS or PBS altho i think they might still work okay with mgeni & tor.

i think we're gonna have to get a list together, this thing is turning into a bit of a monster. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well the easiest way to access the BBC iPlayer is using the Tor programme. Research that, download it, install it and the tor plug in for firefox (you'll need to do some tinkering in the connection options if on another browser) and then point it at a list of UK exit nodes, a little bit more tinkering if you want to get around the flash issue (although it seems not to be a problem in Chrome, probably because I don't use the torbutton extension with Chrome). It's really the only way to go if you ask me.

will try them, thanks

briany wrote: »
    Well the easiest way to access the BBC iPlayer is using the Tor programme. Research that, download it, install it and the tor plug in for firefox (you'll need to do some tinkering in the connection options if on another browser) and then point it at a list of UK exit nodes, a little bit more tinkering if you want to get around the flash issue (although it seems not to be a problem in Chrome, probably because I don't use the torbutton extension with Chrome). It's really the only way to go if you ask me.
    OR he could click on the link a couple of posts above and install mgeni with tor in 2 minutes and not have to bother with any tinkering of configurations or flash problems at all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

OR he could click on the link a couple of posts above and install mgeni with tor in 2 minutes and not have to bother with any tinkering of configurations or flash problems at all. ;)

.........Tinkering builds character......

briany wrote: »
    .........Tinkering makes you go blind......
    fixed it for ya. :p

thlint wrote: »
    Mgeni browser opens and tells you that tor is working and that you can browse from another country -- you have to pick country from tool bar -- I just disconnected from tor and reconnected and all seems to work and I am watching BBC iplayer -- obviously something simple but just been missed -- good luck

This is exactly the issue I am not changing anything no firewall etc but when tor is working can browse no problem the minute I choose UK from dropdown nada or it might load after a full 5 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mattfink

This might help you out smile.gif

Web:
    http://www.stabeler.com/blog/533/How...orking_abroad/

Desktop:
    http://www.stabeler.com/blog/547/How...orking_abroad/

I use this proxy service - it's very quick - much faster than the TOR option, but you have pay smile.gif
    http://bigbadweb.co.uk/hosting/proxy/

moonboy52 wrote: »
    You lazy sod :p.

9 pages of posts is nothing.

here you go:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65774021&postcount=99

thanks a million moonboy, working great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Here's another good link, works for bbc iplayer, utv etc: http://www.anchorfree.com/

xTanyax wrote: »
    Here's another good link, works for bbc iplayer, utv etc: http://www.anchorfree.com/

Sorry does not seem to work .

Only TOR and MGENI have worked for me. (bbc iplayer TV)

xTanyax wrote: »

I have downloaded this link activated hotshield but iplayer (TV) seems to think I am not from England (good guess) but with TOR and Mgeni it thinks I am from England (much better guess from my point of view).

Maybe I have done something wrong with the anchor. Also TOR and Mgeni are open source which to mind is a better option. (All things been equal

Regarding Iplayer and fFlash - does any body know a good way of saving the content on your computrer.
    With Utube and some others I have been able to find the downloaded film in the cache and save it this way. (a bit messy but works) . With iplayer (flash) I cannot find the cache file -- anybody have a solution.

• Advertisement

thlint wrote: »
    Regarding Iplayer and fFlash - does any body know a good way of saving the content on your computrer.
    With Utube and some others I have been able to find the downloaded film in the cache and save it this way. (a bit messy but works) . With iplayer (flash) I cannot find the cache file -- anybody have a solution.
    surely the easiest way would be to just use the "download" button next to "favourite" underneath each show?

EDIT: that'll teach me to try and be smart, it doesn't actually work with mgeni. :pac:

Advertisement