Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

. Event Photos All the race day photos are now up and you can find them on the Gaelforce Events website here.
    Over 10,000 pictures were taken by Sleepmonsters photographers at 4 points along the course (the end of the first run, Croagh Patrick summit, cycling on the Western Way and the finish).
    They tried their best to get a shot of everyone at each point, but may have missed a few here and there, so apologies if your shot is one of those.
    You can search for your picture by race number, but many were torn off, so they have also split the galleries by time to help you search.
    Enjoy looking through the photos, there are some great ones!

I only see 256 photos??

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

heli, by any chance are you using a Mac ? . I do at work and had the same problem but when I looked at them on my laptop I could see all the images

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

greenplain wrote: »
    heli, by any chance are you using a Mac ? . I do at work and had the same problem but when I looked at them on my laptop I could see all the images
    No using windows, will try again when i get home but the number has never went higher than 256 for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

No using windows, will try again when i get home but the number has never went higher than 256 for me..

It just says there are 256 pictures, if you go into the individual galleries there are way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

pab2009 wrote: »
    I don't usually post on forums but I can't help it after last w/e.

great report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

My GaelfForce story...

Last year I finished in 375th (5hrs5mins) but with lots left in the tank. I found myself holding back as I was a first timer and did not know what to expect.

This year I wanted to go for it big time. Events on this scale only come round once a year and I didn't want any regrets this time. My goal was to break into the top 100. Very hard to imagine how I could possibly do this as I was much fitter this time last year (my little 10month girl old being the reason) but I needed a target none the less.

Stage 1 (14km run, 6.30 wave, 8am start)
    Myself and my friend (Gits) made our way to the very top of the start line. The horn blew some 25mins late. I made a beeline for the road and found myself ahead of everyone else. I then kicked on a little more and ran past the next wave waiting for their start, cheering us on. From there, I somehow forgot about how hilly the initial stages of the run were. What the hell was I thinking going at this pace - I am not a fast runner! Feck it, I'll keep going and take a break at the kayaks.

Few mins later I was joined by another lad. We went off road onto the new section and began the run around the back of the hill. New strategy this year, plough through the pools and muck. Worked a treat. Shaved a few mins off trying to tip toe and jump around them. We exhanged positions/banter a couple of times but once we finished the "bog" run and got onto the road again, he tore off. Some pace he had. No chance was I going after him.

No one else past me and I reached the Kayak stage in 1hr 7mins but jaysus was I wrecked.

There I waited for Gits. 5mins, 10mins, 15mins, no sign. He'd been training for months but 10 days ago his knee blew up. 25mins later he hobbles over. He necks a few neurofen and we get into the queue for the kayaks. I know whats ahead of him and am thinking there's no way he's going to finish but say nothing. He just wants to complete the course.
    15mins later we hop into the kayak. Its been 40 odd mins now and I'm stiffening up big time.

Stage 2 Kayaks (1 mile)
    Maybe it was the current or the fact that we're both right handed, we keep vearing to the left. This slows us down a little. I find it harder this year but we butcher it. Water splashing everywhere. Great craic with the kayaks around us. One or two of which joke aloud that are "sucking desiel" & "now we have it" just as they are about to land on the far side.
    Finish in 11mins.

Stage 3 (4km run)
    I give Gits a nod and a hand shake. "See you in Westport" and off I go again. Cold and stiff but knowing in a few mins I'll find my rythym again. Tough running through the bog but soon get onto the road where I can open up.

Overtake some more folk and reach the bike transition 17mins later. Fairly wrecked now but I know that switching muscles from running to bike will give me a chance to get my breath back.

Stage 4 (30km cycle)
    Pick up my bike and carry it out onto the road. Pass a few heads trying to fix punctures. Feels good to be cycling over a smooth surfice. Slight wind blowing into the face. I dreaded this stage. First half is fine but can't help think about the approach to CP. Last year as soon as you turn off the main road, it was a slow grewling acsent that seemed to go on for hours which took every ounce of eneregy to get you there. Anyway, put that thought to the back of the mind and push on hard.

I reach "that" steep climb. F*ck me it was tough. Some folk hop off and walk. Tempted but no, I hop off the saddle and power up knowing that what goes up must come down and in this instance, it goes down like feck'n lightening. As soon as I start that rapid decent, the adrenline starts pumping. Feels like 100km without even peddling. What a rush!
    Finally I get onto the main road. There seem to be more locals out cheering. Gives you a lovely lift. I smile and wave.

I had heard that there was a change to the approach to CP. Definately one of neccessity. There were some horrific crashes on the approach last year. Zombies crawling there way to CP, head down and fella's booting down hill after completing CP. Something had to give.

Anyway, we take a left turn early off the main road and very soon after we're off road which seems uncyclable. This gets me down. My target is slipping. The surface is unbearable and its slightly up hill. Many folk have got off their bikes and its very difficult to get around them. It seems to go on and on. Completely saps the life out of me. Not good I cant help think about whats to come.

I reach CP at long last (1hr 38mins). Truely bolloxed now. The organisation here is much better than last year.

Stage 5 (CP)
    Last year I followed the line of lemmings straight up. The most direct route but much steeper. No way was I doing that this year. I had heard about this zig zag approach. When I looked up to this monster, I saw everyone else had the same idea. Off I go. I tried to run the base but the legs give way after 2 steps. Feck it. No way am I beating my time. I resign myself to walking up. Each step is a slog. Both hands on both knees, breathing is so heavy now I cant hear anything else but of air going in and out of my lungs. I stop for a breath when I reach the "half way" mark on the scelp. Look down and try to take it in. Thoughts creep in at this stage, "What the hell am I doing here", "this is madness". "what feck'n lunatic thought up of this race". I keep thinking that I'll reach the summit in soon and it will be all down hill from there. I march on.
    No banter at this stage. Nobody mutters a word. Everyone is just breathing hard, trying to make it to the top. I ask someone coming down, "how long to go?". 10mins was the reply. I can't handle 10 more mins of this so I dismiss her answer telling myself she's a woman and that's why it took her ten mins...I'm not a sexist but you cant help resort to these kind of thoughts when your in such a state!!!

Finally, I come around the final spiral and see the photographer sitting there taking snaps. I know he's only a few meters from the top. The relief. He says something smiling for the camera. If I had the energy, he would have been flung off the top! Just before I reach the top I see an auld lad making his way down with no shoes on. I nod down pointing at this mad yolk to the lad beside me. We share a chuckle and move on.

I reach the top in 37mins. Good time. I gave myself an hour up and down. I take a 30 sec break, take on some fluids. Its all down hill from here. Elated but cautious. The wrong step now could break an ankle. I began my decent slowly sliding down, digging my heals in, occassionally kicking up rocks that bounce off my ankles. The pain!. Once I pass the steepest part, I begin to open up my legs. Each step down is like a dagger through my thighs and my right knee starts to ache. I try to put the pain in my knee to the back of my mind. I tell myself its as a result of climbing 4000 ft and that it will go soon.

I reach the grass but its a still steep decent and am powering down towards two lads coming up on the same path, I try to bank right but I slip and start rolling fast. I manage to stop. I'm lying on my back on the moss. I find myself thinking how comfy and soft the moss is. I don't want to move. The lads run towards me. One shouting "you ok?", the other "is your ankle ok?". I half-jokingly say to leave me here. They pick me up, we exchange a laugh and we go our seperate ways, I press on not envious of the climb that awaits them.

The ground levels out and I'm powering down, gravity is carrying me now, not my legs. I find it hard to stop. I reach the bottom in just over 20mins. Delighted. Thrilled at the thoughts that I'm nearly finished. I know from last year that the cycle is pretty much down hill right the way into Westport but I know I have more off road to tackle.

Stage 6 (15 km Cycle)
    I hop on my bike and off I go. Belting down the road. Sure enough, a km or two away, the sharp left turn off road. However, its no where near as bad as I remembered. Probably because of the approach to CP was so bad. I'm fyling along this surface and meet a photographer. "Smile" he says. This time he gets a big grin. Shortly afterwards the phone rings. I know who it is straight away. Wifey said she'd stay away as it was a long drive to come only to see me cross the line. My sentiments exactly but she came anyway wanting to surprise me at the line. I had told her previously of my target but I was running an hour last because of delay at the start and waiting for gits at the kayak. So I answer, "where are you", "are you ok", "what's it like". She wants a full detailed report. Breathless I have to tell her politely I'm mid-race and I'll see her in 20 mins. My heart beats. At this stage, the emotions set in, you've been pushing your body to the limits and you're so close to the end of this torture. The thoughts of seeing wifey and my little girl at the line cheering me on sets a few tears rolling. I laugh off the tears, if only the lads could see me know I say to my self.

I reach the end of the off road section and am belting down the road, carefully pressing the breaks. I nearly lost the bike a few times at this stage last year. I'm up the arse of another lad but he's going at a decent pace so thankfully I don't have to consider taking him.

We reach the main road back into WP. There a loads of people cheering us on. Few mins later I reach the harbour. Cars everywhere. What the hell is this. I'm just about to overtake a car when I see a steward waving frantically telling me to slow down and take a left in off the road. Wifey's there holding my little girl roaring at me. Emotions flood back and I hold back the tears.

What a nice finish to the race, cycling through crowds of people to the finish line...so I thought anyway. I go through all the people and find myself on a stetch of road. People walking towards me with their bikes. Where am I supposed to go?Someone sees the confused look on my face and tells me to continue up to the top of the pier. I press on reaching the football pitch. I can't help think who the hell plays here! I drop the bike and am told that there is a 800 mtrs run to the finish line. "Are you serious" I demand. I thought it was only going to be a couple of hundred mtrs max. For the last time I put the head down and try to start running. Running on empty now but I know I'm nearly there.

I cross the line, I get my print out. 4hrs 50mins it says. Absolutely thrilled. Unfortunately I miss my target., I come in 155th. 8 mins from the top 100.

Gits literally hobbles over nearly 3 hours later. He can't talk. I can't help think of he's achievement. He completed a 30 cycle, up/down CP and the 15km cycle home without being able to bend his knee. He'll be back next year. As will I. I wasn't going to do it next year but I can't help looking forward to it now. The organisation this year was so much better than last years. Everything that was wrong with last year has been rectified. What a day. What other event will push you so far to the limit of what your body will take and have you come out smiling afterwars?

Next year I'm going to break the top 100 for sure, how? who knows but I have to aim for something.

Excellent report and well done on the time. We seem to have much the same splits until CP where i made the mistake of going straight up, losing lots of time and causing me to miss the 5 hour mark by 6 min:(

I know what you mean about holding back the tears, i was fighting them coming towards the end just from the effort i had put in, the sence that i had left nothing behind and that i was truely on the limit. Events like this show you what your made of. I cant wait to test myself again.

Best of luck next year for the top 100, hopefully ill be there with ya:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

That's a great write up, and sounds like you ran a great race. Welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Well Its was my first gaelforce,and all i can say is i loved every part of it,actually looking forward to next year and hopefully get some proper training in,instead of tryin to pack everything into 2 weeks at the end,only for i was spinning (indoor Cycling) the last few months i wood hav been lost,completed it in 4:38 which i was over the moon with,role on 2011
    Thanx boards for all the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Mr Mago wrote: »
    GF on Sat bike route way harder than the Connemara Challenge. Bog road was nearly all uphill and surface rougher. Most of connemara challenge was downhill on bike. Still managed to stay up on bike for entire cycle stages :). Would much prefer last years bike route but did much better this year 4.42 v. 5.03 last year

Well done on the improvement Mr Mago. I finished on 4.42 as well as did 4 others. So did you make the top 100 or miss it by seconds like me?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Well seeing as everyone else is giving their rundown, here's mine:

I'm a Gael Force virgin so any time that you have you can add another 50% to the top of it. I had very little training done coming up to Gael Force. The furthest I'd run was 10k and I'd gone out on a few 6k jogs but that was it. As for cycling, I thought I'd done enough but I was miles, and I mean miles off.

Phase 1 - 14k jog

Really enjoyed the start of the jog all the way as far as the end of the hill run. For some reason unkown to myself I felt that I'd covered a lot less ground than I actually had so once we hopped the stile at the end of the hill run I felt as though I'd only run 5-6k. The road after that was pretty tough, especially the long hill back to the main road where I had to stop and deposit my breakfast or in layman's terms 'puke my guts up'. Once the load had been lightened I was away again though with a lot less vigour than I started the race. I finished the run in 1hr 31mins which is probably a terrible time but I was just happy to complete it.

Phase 2 - Kayak

Once I started to flag on the run the idea of getting into the kayak seemed like the nicest thing that could happen. There was even a 20 minute wait until the top of the line which I was glad of. It was a different story once I got into the kayak. My hips seized up and I will never forget the 10-15 minutes I spent almost in tears trying to cross on the kayak. Apologies again to my paddling partner :(

Phase 3 - 4k jog
    I was glad to be out of the kayak though it was no joke crossing that bog. I actually found the road part of it tougher as far as the bike transition and it was at this point I started to question the sanity of entering the race at all. Once I got to my bike I was looking forward to the change of muscles being used so after a (very slow) sock change I was away…or so I thought. Seemed that my front brakes had been locked onto my front tyre so I could barely move the bike. I know this happened another one or two people and I also saw two more people with punctures right at the bike exit so I wondered if they'd been tampered with.

Phase 4 - Bike
    Hope soon turned to despair as a lot of the muscles I'd used running seemed to be attached to the ones I was now useing cycling. Cramped up a few times but cycled it off. Once I got to the off road part of the cycle (across the bog) I was sick of cycling. I've never been so low in my entire life and really started considering stopping. The wind was blowing at me across the bog, the road wasn't great to cycle and there seemed to be no sign of Croagh Patrick - I was miserable. To compound my misery, my chain came off about 8 times. An Snickers styled energy bar picked me up for a few minutes and I managed to use it to get me to CP. 2hrs 20 minutes of abject misery on a bike I now hate the sight of.

Phase 5 - Croagh f****** Patrick
    58 minutes up, 38 minutes down. Just found there was too much traffic on there. I think I could have gone faster going up and coming down but I was too tired to think at this point so instead of going past people I stood waiting for them to move. The first few hundred steps down were depressing but I bounced like that girl in Little House on the Prairie down the mountain when it hit me that I was within touching distance of the finish.

Phase 6 - Cycle to Westport
    Didn't like trying to get to the top of the hill but once I hit road again I was over the moon. Although wrecked I managed to smile my way into Westport and wave to the locals (thanks to them too!). Like someone else mentioned, I hadn't a clue what to do after passing the finish line and nearly broke into tears when someone mentioned a jog. That 800m I reckon took the same time as the earlier 14k but it was some feeling of achievement when I finally could stop and my friends were waiting for me.

On Saturday night I would never do it again. On Sunday I dismissed it when asked. Although still in bits I'm definitely doing one again and though I'd a poor time of 6hrs 51 mins I have now caught a bug so hopefully I can blow it out of the water next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

I am based in Westport, down at the Quay itself. I am starting a mountain running/cross country group associated with Mayo AC, and we will be training on Croagh Patrick/Kilgeever/Sheeffry area over the winter period. I practice Sports Physiotherapy with cyro-hydrotherapy, and also Sport Psychology.

Doing the massages at Gaelforce was great, but I am disheartened to hear that the organisers are totally opposed to having physio/massage next year, and also no first aid. For Massages and first aid at the end of the event the competitors will need to demand it from the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

robroy1234 wrote: »
    I am based in Westport, down at the Quay itself. I am starting a mountain running/cross country group associated with Mayo AC, and we will be training on Croagh Patrick/Kilgeever/Sheeffry area over the winter period.

Would definitely be interested in this...

How can I find out more, I contacted Mayo AC about membership recently, have the form, but haven't got around to signing up yet. Am from Westport, so this would suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

I might as well give my version aswell. Newbie to adventure racing and hated the second half of it so much I swore I'd never ever do it again 2 days later I've signed up for WAr and I can't wait for GF 2011!:D

1st Trail Run:
    Never ran anything longer than 15km on roads so made sure to keep a steady pace. Kept to around 6min/km but found the final hill a bit draining. Really enjoyed the run and finished it comfortably in 1hr 28mins. if I'd known there was a 30 min wait for kayaks I'dve pushed a bit harder.

Kayak:
    Nightmare!! First time for me and partner on a Kayak and thought it was gonna be a nice little stoll across the water. Found it tough as didnt do much core training and my partner kept stopping because his thighs/hips were killing him so we ended up going in circles like a pair of muppets. Managed to finish in 15 mins, hated every minute of it!!

Bog run:
    Mucky, funny and not that bad tbh, did it in around 20 mins.

1st Bike:
    Got on the bike and just went for it. Overtook about 40 or 50 within the first 9/10k and looked at my HRM and to my horror I was upto 172bpm, knew I couldnt keep that pace going. threw down a gel and hit the hill and nearly collapsed, was totally spent. Went out way too hard and most of the people I'd overtaken were passing me by as I was walking the steep hill with my head down low. Got to the top and back on the bike only to get a bit too eager (and stupid) and crashed badly at the first left hander at the bridge. Cut my elbow/knee and hand and was a bit shaken. the bike got a good old whack too and my gear/brake lever was 90 degrees to the right of where it had been 2 mins earlier. dusted myself off, fixed my chain and got back on the bike but my nerves were gone at this stage. took it really easy and did the section in 2hrs even.

CP:
    God I hated that place, 67 mins up and I had absolutely nothing left. Could not get motivated but just wante to get GF over and done with. Was tired cranky and pissed off. Swore I'd never ever be seen on croagh patrick again. Was a bit nervous coming down, couple of falls but got down in 40 mins.

Last Bike:
    Not too bad, walked most of the skelp with the road bike as I'd have a nervous breakdown if I got a puncture to my already wrecked bike. Found the finish very confusing, nearly crashed into finished competitors walking back, pain in the arse really, badly marshalled tbh. 800m run was a nice way to kick me when I was down and I crossed the line cursing Myself, Gaelforce and Croagh Patrick in 6hr 58 mins. The silly crash really set me back but I'm looking back at the whole GF experience quite fondly now.;)

Managed to sink a few pints in Matt Molloys where there was a great atmosphere, Westport really is a great little town.

C u all next year please God.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Crikey, i think i am the only person who enjoyed CP.. it seems to universally be the least liked part of the race. For me, it was the offroad cycling. I love the mountains though, so i guess that's why i didnt mind CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Guys,
    Fair play to all of ye for doing that event! I know a couple who did it this year and have nothing but admiration for anyone that even had the mental strength to train and attack that course. Some great reports here and some great blogs linked to, excellent work everyone.

Well done to all.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Echo comments of last poster. Well done to one and all. I've been following this thread in an effort to see what other folks do to prepare for these races as am signed up for WAR next month.

Having read this i'm just dissapointed i didn't bite the bullet earlier and sign up for Gaelforce. Well theres always next year that is if WAR doesn't kill me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

I have to agree with several posters about the finish. I thought it was poorly laid out, and I see that several people missed the turn, so it wasn't just me. As I said in my account on the blog, a detailed map of the finish area on the website would have been easy enough for the organisers to provide, and would have let us know where we were supposed to go, and what to do at the finish. In the absence of clear, highly visible signs, we rely on marshals to direct us. Apart from the turn in itself, when I got off the grass track to the concrete area by the quays, it all seemed a bit confusing; there were people comimg in the opposite direction, and no sign of what we were supposed to do. I was expecting to get off the bike and run 500 m to the line, wherea if I had known that we were to cycle down past the finish area etc, and then run back up, I would have been prepared fro it. I know that sounds like a petty gripe, but after killing yourself for 5 1/2 hours, I don't think that would be too much to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

I am based in Westport, down at the Quay itself. I am starting a mountain running/cross country group associated with Mayo AC, and we will be training on Croagh Patrick/Kilgeever/Sheeffry area over the winter period.

Depending on when the training would be on I'd also be interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Depending on when the training would be on I'd also be interested...

Same as, as long as the training starts off nice and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Echo comments of last poster. Well done to one and all. I've been following this thread in an effort to see what other folks do to prepare for these races as am signed up for WAR next month.

Having read this i'm just dissapointed i didn't bite the bullet earlier and sign up for Gaelforce. Well theres always next year that is if WAR doesn't kill me first.

When did WAR ever do any harm.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Crikey, i think i am the only person who enjoyed CP.. it seems to universally be the least liked part of the race. For me, it was the offroad cycling. I love the mountains though, so i guess that's why i didnt mind CP.

I love the mountains too but I've never really loved the reek. I guess I've been up there 40 or 50 times and I always find it really tough, Saturday no exception. On other mountains you put in the effort to get to the top and you're rewarded with an easy pleasant descent. Not so on the Reek, it breaks your heart both ways. What's the climbing like on the Achill Roar? How much of it can you run? Signed up for the expert class but I know feck all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Enjoyed it as well, for whatever reason the day didn't take a whole lot out of me and I enjoyed the whole experience this time round, and maybe the shoes gave me more confidence going up/down but found CP ok this year. (Loved the cycle, even though the wind reminded me of my youth where the south westerlys were always blowing against you)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Enjoyed it as well, for whatever reason the day didn't take a whole lot out of me and I enjoyed the whole experience this time round, and maybe the shoes gave me more confidence going up/down but found CP ok this year. (Loved the cycle, even though the wind reminded me of my youth where the south westerlys were always blowing against you)

I enjoyed it too...or at least found it less traumatising than I was expecting, We drove the cycle route on the Friday (wasn't good for the car) and we just saw CP looming over us and were terrified, think that actually helped on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

excellent post pab and well done on beating the 5:00hour mark, no mean acheivement. that was my target also and unfortunately i missed it through poor bike performance, 20 mins slower than last year... we'll be back....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

I am based in Westport, down at the Quay itself. I am starting a mountain running/cross country group associated with Mayo AC, .

QUOTE]
    +1 on this would be interested over a the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

QUOTE=robroy1234;67661148]
    wood be intrested to,im from westport aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

The Mountain Running season is over for the year, and cross country season is next (October - March). I am looking at hills and terraine that is accessible, safe and trails that can be run. There is Blackloon woods, and Tawnyard woods at the Sheeffry woods. I will be looking at meet and train Sundays 12pm, and will consult with others where. During the winter I can only recommend running CP on a clear, nice day.

my number is 086 084 0359 if anyone wants to have a chat.

Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

snailsong wrote: »
    I love the mountains too but I've never really loved the reek. I guess I've been up there 40 or 50 times and I always find it really tough, Saturday no exception. On other mountains you put in the effort to get to the top and you're rewarded with an easy pleasant descent. Not so on the Reek, it breaks your heart both ways. What's the climbing like on the Achill Roar? How much of it can you run? Signed up for the expert class but I know feck all about it.

the terrain on the climb in achill is much more solid under foot, more like carrauntohill. I only did sports version last yr which only brings you 1/4 way up the mountain, but it's no CP. steep alright, but not the same shalley surface. it is steep though, not sure how much of it you could run up, but coming down is a lot safer than CP by the sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Preparation: I decided after reports of last year to register early (Thursday 4pm). Think I managed to be one of the first to arrive. I had 2x bottles with 4:1 high5 energy source on the bike along with 5x Gel packs, Viper energy bar & Snickers bar. Stayed in Westport the Friday night. Went to bed at 10pm and got up at 6am for the 6:30 bus. Managed to eat 4 pancakes before boarding the bus and drank water on the bus to the start.

1st Run: 10mins before the race started I took my first gel. Started the run close to the front and took the advice of many experienced competitors and played it safe with a gentle pace. I have to say that I’m glad I did. The route never gave you time to settle into any sort of a rhythm but I just keep on going not stopping to took my second gel 45 mins into the run as planed and finished the Run in 1:27.

Kayak: Was surprised to see so many people standing around and nobody jumping into the kayaks. I couldn’t fathom this as I just wanted to get on with it and jumped straight in. Timed out for 31 sec and completed the back braking kayak in 11mins.

2nd Run: Downed my 3rd gel before this run. Managed to pass through the Bog relatively unscathed and was glad to see the bike transition ahead 22mins.

Bike: Downed a whole bottle of 4:1 energy source and my 4th Gel. Drink wasn’t as bad as I thought after standing for 2 days. Filled up bottle and emptied myself before mounting the bike. I took the advice again and put a low gear on my road bike and was spinning my way along to the hill. The hill proved no problem and cruised along drinking the second bottle of 4:1 energy source to the bog road. Only got of the bike once for what I thought was an unrideable section. Was glad to see the start of CP and finished the ride in 1:57.

CP: Had my Viper bar before CP. I had left plenty in the tank for this and with the help of the Viper bar I flew up in 40mins. I took the decent a little slower 25mins, in my mind I had completed the hardest part of galeforce and now it’s time to savour the victory and do nothing stupid.

Bike 2nd: I loved the run to the off road section and hit 60km/hour before slamming on the brakes. This section was as bad as the bog road and again I run with the bike once. The cycle to Westport was a bit tantalising as you thought the finish was around each bend. This cycle was a bit crazy with the road traffic slowing you down.

Final Run. Almost snapped my ankle along the rocky waterfront but managed to keep it going. Was expecting to see the finish line in the distance but when the line came it was unexpected. Loved the print out when you finish!

Final: Time 5:43 (Maybe I paced it well but I t
    hink I could of knocked 30mins off the time)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 uaithne

Having boarded our buses in Westport at 05:00hrs we were ferried through the darkness towards our starting point on the golden sands of Glasuillean Beach. The bus trundled along the serpent like byroads as dawn broke and the rugged edges of the local mountains appeared, silhouetted by the wakening skyline. The might of the task ahead was represented by the looming mountain peaks which bore over us akin to admonishing Gaestapo officers. The landscapes savage beauty impressed upon us the eerie feeling described by war veterans, that descends upon warriors in the calm before a bloody battle. Disembarking the buses we were pleasantly surprised to find the temperature was amicable. Sadly this was a tactic of Mother Nature which lulled us into a false sense of complacency. At 06:30hrs we stood at the ready on the start line with the Atlantic Ocean egging us on. Some stood resolutely, gritting their teeth and and steeling themselves mentally for the battles that lay in wait. Others chattered nervously and made jokes at which some laughed out of politeness. The gun shattered the rural silence and those who had felt like caged animals, pumped up on caffeine and energy drinks charged to the front.

Stage One consisted of a 14k run which incorporated some road and off road running. Salrock Hill pickpocketed our early enthusiasm within half a mile of the start before we raced down towards Mallinalack Hill at the edge of Killary Bay. We then ventured onto the Famine Trail and ran along the treacherous cliff edge of Killary Harbour where many an early casualty suffered cuts shins and knees as a result of misfortunate foot placing. Jagged rocks and deep puddles began to take their toll. The long trek towards the kayaks further up the Fjord incorporated a climb through the foothills of Leitir Eireann Mt, and a mile or so of easy running on the N59 was enjoyable before we turned back down the hill on rough track towards the calm waters of Killary Harbour. Hopping into waiting kayaks our shoulders burned for relief as the voyage across the Fjord sapped the strength from heavy arms.

On hauling a weary soul out of the kayak you were confronted with a sharp climb up an embankment before wrestling with the undulating contours of a wet, mucky bog. Littered with vigor robbing bogholes and quagmires, the terrain resembled the moors depicted in Arthur C. Doyle's, The Hound Of Baskervilles. With mudcaked shoes and shins each forward step transformed into an exercise in weightlifting. We fought through this battleground suffering tumbles, falls and lost shoes. Thankfully, a little respite was found at the end in the form of the 22 mile cycle!!!!!

On arrival at Delphi we commenced the third stage by jumping on our steady steeds and charging out onto the tarmacadam roads. Early inclines were easily conquered and the confidence grew. A turn right towards Drummin, and then a bombshell hit it's target right on the money. An inhumane climb up to the top of the Tawnyard Forest Hill snaked out before us. A constant mile and a half of psychological torture ensued as crest after crest disappeared and the end seemed like it would never arrive and when our reward did it was tainted with cruelty. That cruelty manifested itself in the guise of a nerve jangling downhill pursuit. Treacherous hairpins made the downhill section suicidal, not to mention the local sheep grazing lazily at the roads edge with complete disinterest until one decided to challenge you to a game of chicken. Finally after miles of spinning we approached the Holy Mountain. A sharp stone laden 6k bog road, knocked the fillings from our teeth and many a warrior fell foul to the dreaded puncture on this intricate segment of the race.

At the foot of Croagh Patrick our lead heavy legs refused to believe an ascent of the mountain was planned. The Holy Mountain with it's crown shrouded in mist had an impregnable aura about it. The laborious effort to master the gradient embodied the personification of human spirit. Accustomed to pilgrims we prayed and blasphemed on the slopes, in equal measure, as God was our only hope and our celestial punisher. Amazingly the summit was vanquished and all experienced an Edmund Hillary moment before tackling the descent. Assured footing was impossible as shale and loose rocks taxed our fortitude. On reaching the bottom, and having suffered the physical penance of cuts and bruises, we all deserved to be washed of our earthly sin. And so the final battle in our war needed to be waged. The 8 mile cycle to the finish at Westport Quay was punctuated by a section of off road on the Western Way. This section proved to be the graveyard for many a soldier's bike. The only method of safe navigation was to dismount and carry the bike on your shoulder. On rejoining the tarmacadam surface a hazardous section of roadway needed piloting as we swept downhill towards Westport. Finally redemption, or so we thought. The final dash to the finish line was poisoned by the fact that we had to run the final 800 metres. Attenuated bodies and souls crossed the finish line battered and bruised. Gaelforce West was a combat zone where one truly examined the inner determination and drive of oneself. For no matter how fit one was, from the winner who crossed the line in 3:36:51 to the final warrior who reached the sanctuary of the finish line in 11:03:14, all who fought the fight and lived to tell the tale were utterly exhausted and paradoxically exhilarated.

Advertisement