Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Possibly because these were free and the GF ones are near 10 euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭woody1

fair play to all ye gael forcers.. was in westport on saturday to cheer a mate on got to see about 200 of ye finishing went for a few later ..unfortunately couldnt get into "mat millers" it was jammed... have to say it was a bit sickening having to say no every time someone asked me if it done it.. on that basis alone i'l have to give it a lash next year...
    from looking at the roar thread there seem to be a few here doing that but is anyone heading for the rough diamond.. in letterfrack... this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I said when I finished that I was done.. Doghnuts from here on.. But I seem to have been talked into doing another adventure race in Skibbereen in October. Will I get sense??!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

yop wrote: »
    That could have been you ya! Sorry I didn't say hello but I was gimped with leg cramps! :)

Next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

I apologise to all of those people I was unable to massage at the finish of the Gaelforce. SOmetime back I contacted the organisers about doing the physio/massage at the finish and I was told that there will be none this year. I had a few athletes that I help out competing so I turned up at the Elite start at 5am. I talked to a few competitors and then went to the finish. At the Quay I asked about where I could set up my table etc., and was directed to the finishing tent. My immediate goal was to only massage the competitors that I promised to massage, but after the first lot went through at 10:30am and I massaged, more competitors came to me. Seeing that there were no other physios and that the organisers were, in my opinion, penny pinching, I continued on. I had to put on a nominal charge as I quickly ran out of vaseline, massage oil, deep heat and blister plasters. I did not finish until 8:45pm which meant that I massaged non-stop for over 10 hours. At the end the main organiser Sinead had a go at me for doing the massage, and that they were not providing physio/massage for competitors. For this event to be considered to be an International event they need to provide such a moderate service. I was also constantly called upon for first aid, which I had no supplies at all. The organisers did not provide for either massage or first aid at the finish. I am typing up a report to present to the organisers concerning the provision of physio/massage and first aid at the finish and I would appreciate any feedback from all those who contribute to this thread.
    Robert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

Arjan wrote: »
    Hey boardsies! What a day it was... I was so unprepared for this it's not funny. I overdid it in the first run (1.17) and was wrecked after that. Took me more than 2 hours to get up and down Croagh Patrick :( Ended up in a time of 6.24... cursing CP for hitting me so hard. Did anyone get the results/splits in an Excel? I'd love to see that file somewhere, so as to cheer me up knowing I did well in certain parts ;)
    g0g wrote: »
    Try that link!

The young fella that led the starting run in the first wave was Antony Murray. A little while ago he was an average GAA player and training for Gael Force. I took him for a training session on Kilgeever Hill, and I found that he was a very strong runner. I told him about the Irish Mountain Running Association World Trials from Crone Woods to Djouce Mountain in Wicklow, and so both of us with his Brother Finbarr decided to compete. It was for the three of us our first time ever competing in such an event. Myself finished 7th and Antony finished 8th, so both of us almost made the Irish team - not bad for first time out, and especially for Antony who was new to running. With his brother we as a team won the silver. A few weeks back Antony went over the whole course in a practice training session and did it in 3 hours 45 minutes, also his effort over the IMRA race made him confident of pushing the big fellas such as Peter, and Padraig. Antony's downfall however was the use of the gels early on which caused gastric upset and therefore he unable to finish. Antony is strong and affable fella and will do well in next year's event.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Went into the race with a "complete not compete" attitude since it was my first time, and I'm not the fittest person around :o

It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I expected it to be, but I dragged myself across the line, so I'm delighted I can say I did it!

Took me soooo long to finish (9.36), and I was in the second wave - I was sat beside a fellow Boardsie on the bus too ;)

My camelbak drinking tube wasn't working properly for me which was a balls as if i was really thirsty on the run I had to open it up to take a sup.

The reek was crazy, nearly killed me, between avoiding people running down the loose rocks whilst I was going up, staying out of the way of the normal pilgrims when I was descending, and in general trying to stay on my feet. Also, I was nearly in tears coming down the mountain as my knees were in absolute agony.

Got major calf cramps on the bike, had to get off to stretch a few times. In fairness a few people asked was I OK as they flew past, which was really nice. The bike sections were tougher than I thought but I prefer cycling to running any day.

So glad I took part, the encouragement from other competitors when I looked like I was flagging kept me going, the cheers from the locals along the road and at the end was a great boost, and I LOVE my shiny medal!!

Btw, I'm the girl who had the jaffa cakes on the back of her bike :D

Peterx, I will catch up with you Friday evening in Poland. I am looking forward to my second run out on the mountains, for at least on this one there doesn't seem to be a large downhill section. I will see if I can do the massage for the team. Take care.
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi Rob! Can I just say a huge thanks for the help you gave me when I finished around the 8hr mark (I nearly got you in trouble with your missis when she rang I think!). I was in bits with a very sore calf and I assumed when I saw you that you were part of the finishing setup for the event. If I'd known you were helping the competitors out of your own initiative, I'd have gathered a few bob more than I carried in my 'emergency fiver' pocket in my running gear. I really appreciate your help and I wanted to say thanks very much.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have accepted anymore than a fiver, as that would be enough to replenish stocks of oils, vaseline and other equipment. I had a great day and enjoyed helping out as much as possible. The main group of Event Crew were fully supportive and nice to me, it was only Sinead that was antsy. Besides that I wanted to supply an Ice Bath, foot showers and Ice Packs, but was limited with space. My fold up picnic table was a little beat up afterwards. The next day my legs, backside and arms were stiff, but I still enjoyed the 5km race.
    Hopefully for next year the organisers will include physio/massage and first aid at the finish, and I am glad to offer what little help I could to the competitors.
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Mago

First off well done to everyone who finished and even those who didn't, training and getting to the start line is a challenge in itself. I was doing a wimpy 10 mile run instead.

I done the GF connemara in May and was wondering how the off road cycling section on Sat compared to the section in it? About the same surface? Will be doing FG connemara again and all being well GFW next year. Buying bike in mean time (i hope).

GF on Sat bike route way harder than the Connemara Challenge. Bog road was nearly all uphill and surface rougher. Most of connemara challenge was downhill on bike. Still managed to stay up on bike for entire cycle stages :). Would much prefer last years bike route but did much better this year 4.42 v. 5.03 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

robroy1234 wrote: »
    Peterx, I will catch up with you Friday evening in Poland. I am looking forward to my second run out on the mountains, for at least on this one there doesn't seem to be a large downhill section. I will see if I can do the massage for the team. Take care.
    Rob

Good man Rob,

See you on Friday and apologies for not knowing the young Antony's name. We all live and learn and no doubt he will come back stronger as Padraig did this year.
    With no downhill in Poland all 3 of us should go well!

It should be a craic, and Gerry told me that we should be good position for a team medal. It looks like most of the runners are from Poland and Czech Republic. I hope the massage was ok for you on Saturday. I will be finalising a report tonight on why the organisers should have physios/massage and first aid at the finish.
    Take care and see you Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The young fella that led the starting run in the first wave was Antony Murray. A little while ago he was an average GAA player and training for Gael Force. I took him for a training session on Kilgeever Hill, and I found that he was a very strong runner. I told him about the Irish Mountain Running Association World Trials from Crone Woods to Djouce Mountain in Wicklow, and so both of us with his Brother Finbarr decided to compete. It was for the three of us our first time ever competing in such an event. Myself finished 7th and Antony finished 8th, so both of us almost made the Irish team - not bad for first time out, and especially for Antony who was new to running. With his brother we as a team won the silver. A few weeks back Antony went over the whole course in a practice training session and did it in 3 hours 45 minutes, also his effort over the IMRA race made him confident of pushing the big fellas such as Peter, and Padraig. Antony's downfall however was the use of the gels early on which caused gastric upset and therefore he unable to finish. Antony is strong and affable fella and will do well in next year's event.

He was going great guns by the looks of his splits. Kept up the pace till the bikes where he looked to have dropped off a bit but not by much. Did he pull out before CP? Or was his race up before then?

From what I gather Antony got into trouble during the ascent to the Sheeffry Gap. He admittedly took too much gel too early and was pretty sick. He tried to continue and got to CP but the gastric upset was far too much. Suffice it to say, Antony will be back next year, and I feel that he has an excellent future in the Triathlon, as his cycling is strong and he is causing a stir in the Mountain Running Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

What's the craic with € 9.75 per photo and no bulk discount!? Rip-off! At least with the marathon I remember they would sell you a DVD with all your photos for a reduced price. There are 8 of me from GFW and I'd love them, but not for €75/80!!!! I realise the photographers wanna make a few quid, but seriously.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

g0g wrote: »
    What's the craic with € 9.75 per photo and no bulk discount!? Rip-off! At least with the marathon I remember they would sell you a DVD with all your photos for a reduced price. There are 8 of me from GFW and I'd love them, but not for €75/80!!!! I realise the photographers wanna make a few quid, but seriously.....

Complete rip off and probably the only negative thing that has not changed from last year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Complete rip off and probably the only negative thing that has not changed from last year.

They were 8 euro last year :rolleyes:

Sun, stick, shine ;)

Big improvements on last year BUT after seening the price of the photos and the fact that they didn't provide the physio is not impressive.

Well done Rob, you looked after my brother who was in shreds before you got near him. I thought it was GF who were charging for the physio but in fairness to you since you were doing it all off your own bat then a fiver was slave labour!

Anthony is a good lad based on the one spin I was on with him on, he will do well.
    Will Mayo do a 2 in a row next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I apologise to all of those people I was unable to massage at the finish of the Gaelforce. SOmetime back I contacted the organisers about doing the physio/massage at the finish and I was told that there will be none this year. I had a few athletes that I help out competing so I turned up at the Elite start at 5am. I talked to a few competitors and then went to the finish. At the Quay I asked about where I could set up my table etc., and was directed to the finishing tent. My immediate goal was to only massage the competitors that I promised to massage, but after the first lot went through at 10:30am and I massaged, more competitors came to me. Seeing that there were no other physios and that the organisers were, in my opinion, penny pinching, I continued on. I had to put on a nominal charge as I quickly ran out of vaseline, massage oil, deep heat and blister plasters. I did not finish until 8:45pm which meant that I massaged non-stop for over 10 hours. At the end the main organiser Sinead had a go at me for doing the massage, and that they were not providing physio/massage for competitors. For this event to be considered to be an International event they need to provide such a moderate service. I was also constantly called upon for first aid, which I had no supplies at all. The organisers did not provide for either massage or first aid at the finish. I am typing up a report to present to the organisers concerning the provision of physio/massage and first aid at the finish and I would appreciate any feedback from all those who contribute to this thread.
    Robert
    fair play to ya rob , i was standin atyhe finish line for bout an hour or so with competitors and a number of people noted the tightness of the organizers to provide more than one physio , if they had known you were there on a voluntary bases they would have been shocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

Let me also add my thanks to Rob for the massage.It was a lifesaver. But it's disapointing to think that the organisers didn't facilitate it. I've only done 3 races this year : WAR, Wicklow Roar, and the Streets of Galway and all of these made provision for post-race massages.

That aside I enjoyed the race and found this thread and its advice really helpful. It's my first year of adventure racing and I found the race tougher than expected, particularly the Reek. As someone who took 5:50 I'm in awe of the elites who clocked sub 4 hour times. I was talking to Tom O Dowd who came 3rd afterwards and he was telling me he only started taking these events seriously when he finished playing GAA last year, so sounds like he has room for improvement next year!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Triptych wrote: »
    I was talking to Tom O Dowd who came 3rd afterwards and he was telling me he only started taking these events seriously when he finished playing GAA last year, so sounds like he has room for improvement next year!:eek:

Tom's a shark , great performances on some local Tri's and recently swam from clare island back to Roonagh pier for a charity event. Talented and nice guy .
    Seems to be some great up and coming guys on the scene which worries me as I was hoping that adventure racers peek at 45 which gave me 2 years of training to get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Vitamin C wrote: »
    I was just looking at the OS map of the ROAR route, would I be right in saying that the expert cycle avoids any major hills? Or am I just reading it completely wrong? It's been a while since leaving cert geography.

ROAR expert has some of the worst hills I have ever cycled on (not experienced so maybe I need to get out more) . Some of them make Sheffrey look very tame.But its a great event . The hill run is tough .
    I was signed up for the expert but after the disaster that was GF I have moved down to the tamer sports version as the body couldn't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

I typed a long post yesterday, but when I went to send it, Ihad to log in again, so it was lost! I was raging! so this time, I took a leaf out of Thisregard's book, and put up a link to a blog I've just created! The report is even longer this time!

How do you boardsies all know each other?!

I met Watergal in the hotel on Friday - it was very nice to meet you, and well done on your time! I hope you enjoyed yourself on Saturday night - do you come back up to the town centre with your friends afterwards?

And well done Seres - that's a seriously impressive time!

well done everyone else too - and thanks for the entertaining reports, as well as all the helpful posts over the past few months. Mind you, I was still taken by surprise at the terrain on the cycles - especially the Skelp!

here's a link to my blog, and there's a link to my Garmin read-out on it as well!
    http://paulsgaelforcewest.blogspot.com/2010/08/gaelforce-west-2010-first-timers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

yop wrote: »
    They were 8 euro last year :rolleyes:

Sun, stick, shine ;)

Big improvements on last year BUT after seening the price of the photos and the fact that they didn't provide the physio is not impressive.

Well done Rob, you looked after my brother who was in shreds before you got near him. I thought it was GF who were charging for the physio but in fairness to you since you were doing it all off your own bat then a fiver was slave labour!

Anthony is a good lad based on the one spin I was on with him on, he will do well.
    Will Mayo do a 2 in a row next year ;)

Were they not 8 pounds? I think they were priced in sterling but i could be wrong.

If any of you need any massage/physio/sport psychology then let me know. I never over-charge, and treatment takes as long as needed. In terms of physio for an injury any more than two visits to a physio is a rip-off.
    I will be talking to the organisers and even if they agree or not, next year's Gaelforce will have physios/massage and first aid at the finish.
    I admire all of you for the completion of Gaelforce - my final massage on Saturday was on the Rugby player from Dublin whose back tyre on his bike buckled 5km out of Delphi, and he ran the whole way from there. Thats terrific spirit - I hope that he made it home safely and in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

If any of you need any massage/physio/sport psychology then let me know. I never over-charge, and treatment takes as long as needed. In terms of physio for an injury any more than two visits to a physio is a rip-off.
    I will be talking to the organisers and even if they agree or not, next year's Gaelforce will have physios/massage and first aid at the finish.
    I admire all of you for the completion of Gaelforce - my final massage on Saturday was on the Rugby player from Dublin whose back tyre on his bike buckled 5km out of Delphi, and he ran the whole way from there. Thats terrific spirit - I hope that he made it home safely and in one piece.

Thats the guy that I referred to earlier. Don't know him but he is a friend of a friend and I was told about him Saturday night. He just threw the bike into the next house and ran the rest of the way. He is my new hero........:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

where are you based Rob? coudl really do with a session, my back is really stiff from cycle training, knees arent great, and also i've a legacy broken elbow which requires intermittent work on.. also, my quads suffer from repeated stiffness so i could do with some stretching work that i can follow myself..!

maybe i should be taken apart and put back together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The_12th

Spotted this interview earlier... Worth a look. Congratulations to Padraig and all who competed this year. It was my first time competing and I'm hooked!!

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10638:the-force-is-with-ballinrobes-marrey&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pab2009

I don't usually post on forums but I can't help it after last w/e.

My GaelfForce story...

Last year I finished in 375th (5hrs5mins) but with lots left in the tank. I found myself holding back as I was a first timer and did not know what to expect.

This year I wanted to go for it big time. Events on this scale only come round once a year and I didn't want any regrets this time. My goal was to break into the top 100. Very hard to imagine how I could possibly do this as I was much fitter this time last year (my little 10month girl old being the reason) but I needed a target none the less.

Stage 1 (14km run, 6.30 wave, 8am start)
    Myself and my friend (Gits) made our way to the very top of the start line. The horn blew some 25mins late. I made a beeline for the road and found myself ahead of everyone else. I then kicked on a little more and ran past the next wave waiting for their start, cheering us on. From there, I somehow forgot about how hilly the initial stages of the run were. What the hell was I thinking going at this pace - I am not a fast runner! Feck it, I'll keep going and take a break at the kayaks.

Few mins later I was joined by another lad. We went off road onto the new section and began the run around the back of the hill. New strategy this year, plough through the pools and muck. Worked a treat. Shaved a few mins off not trying to tip toe and jump around them. We exhanged positions/banter a couple of times but once we finished the "bog" run and got onto the road again, he tore off. Some pace he had. No chance was I going after him.

No one else past me and I reached the Kayak stage in 1hr 7mins but jaysus was I wrecked.

There I waited for Gits. 5mins, 10mins, 15mins, no sign. He'd been training for months but 10 days ago his knee blew up. 25mins later he hobbles over. He necks a few neurofen and we get into the queue for the kayaks. I know whats ahead of him and am thinking there's no way he's going to finish but say nothing. He just wants to complete the course.
    15mins later we hop into the kayak. Its been 40 odd mins now and I'm stiffening up big time.

Stage 2 Kayaks (1 mile)
    Maybe it was the current or the fact that we're both right handed, we keep vearing to the left. This slows us down a little. I find it harder this year but we butcher it. Water splashing everywhere. Great craic with the kayaks around us. One or two of which joke aloud that are "sucking desiel" & "now we have it" just as they are about to land on the far side.
    Finish in 11mins.

Stage 3 (4km run)
    I give Gits a nod and a hand shake. "See you in Westport" and off I go again. Cold and stiff but knowing in a few mins I'll find my rythym again. Tough running through the bog but soon get onto the road where I can open up.

Overtake some more folk and reach the bike transition 17mins later. Fairly wrecked now but I know that switching muscles from running to bike will give me a chance to get my breath back.

Stage 4 (30km cycle)
    Pick up my bike and carry it out onto the road. Pass a few heads trying to fix punctures. Feels good to be cycling over a smooth surfice. Slight wind blowing into the face. I dreaded this stage. First half is fine but can't help think about the approach to CP. Last year as soon as you turn off the main road, it was a slow grewling acsent that seemed to go on for hours which took every ounce of eneregy to get you there. Anyway, put that thought to the back of the mind and push on hard.

I reach "that" steep climb. F*ck me it was tough. Some folk hop off and walk. Tempted but no, I hop off the saddle and power up knowing that what goes up must come down and in this instance, it goes down like feck'n lightening. As soon as I start that rapid decent, the adrenline starts pumping. Feels like 100km without even peddling. What a rush!
    Finally I get onto the main road. There seem to be more locals out cheering. Gives you a lovely lift. I smile and wave.

I had heard that there was a change to the approach to CP. Definately one of neccessity. There were some horrific crashes on the approach last year. Zombies crawling there way to CP, head down and fella's booting down hill after completing CP. Something had to give.

Anyway, we take a left turn early off the main road and very soon after we're off road which seems uncyclable. This gets me down. My target is slipping. The surface is unbearable and its slightly up hill. Many folk have got off their bikes and its very difficult to get around them. It seems to go on and on. Completely saps the life out of me. Not good, and I cant help think about whats to come.

I reach CP at long last (1hr 38mins). Truely bolloxed now. The organisation here is much better than last year.

Stage 5 (CP)
    Last year I followed the line of lemmings straight up. The most direct route but much steeper. No way was I doing that this year. I had heard about this zig zag approach. When I looked up to this monster, I saw everyone else had the same idea. Off I go. I tried to run the base but the legs give way after 2 steps. Feck it. No way am I beating my time. I resign myself to walking up. Each step is a slog. Both hands on both knees, breathing is so heavy now I cant hear anything else but of air going in and out of my lungs. I stop for a breath when I reach the "half way" mark on the scelp. Look down and try to take it in. Thoughts creep in at this stage, "What the hell am I doing here", "this is madness". "what feck'n lunatic thought up of this race". I keep thinking that I'll reach the summit in soon and it will be all down hill from there. I march on.
    No banter at this stage. Nobody mutters a word. Everyone is just breathing hard, trying to make it to the top. I ask someone coming down, "how long to go?". 10mins was the reply. I can't handle 10 more mins of this so I dismiss her answer telling myself she's a woman and that's why it took her ten mins...I'm not a sexist but you cant help resort to these kind of thoughts when your in such a state!!!

Finally, I come around the final spiral and see the photographer sitting there taking snaps. I know he's only a few meters from the top. The relief. He says something about smiling for the camera. If I had the energy, he would have been flung off the top! Just before I reach the summit I see an auld lad making his way back down with no shoes on. I nod down pointing at this mad yolk to the lad beside me. We share a chuckle and move on.

I reach the top in 37mins. Good time. I gave myself an hour up and down. I take a 30 sec break, take on some fluids. Its all down hill from here. Elated but cautious. The wrong step now could break an ankle. I began my decent slowly sliding down, digging my heals in, occassionally kicking up rocks that bounce off my ankles. The pain!. Once I pass the steepest part, I begin to open up my legs. Each step down is like a dagger through my thighs and my right knee starts to ache. I try to put the pain in my knee to the back of my mind. I tell myself its as a result of climbing 4000 ft and that it will go soon.

I reach the grass but its a still steep decent and am powering down towards two lads coming up on the same path, I try to bank right but I slip and start rolling fast. I manage to stop. I'm lying on my back on the moss. I find myself thinking how comfy and soft the moss is. I don't want to move. The lads run towards me. One shouting "you ok?", the other "is your ankle ok?". I half-jokingly say to leave me here. They pick me up, we exchange a laugh and we go our seperate ways, I press on not envious of the climb that awaits them.

The ground levels out and I'm powering down, gravity is carrying me now, not my legs. I find it hard to stop. I reach the bottom in just over 20mins. Delighted. Thrilled at the thoughts that I'm nearly finished. I know from last year that the cycle is pretty much down hill right the way into Westport but I know I have more off road to tackle.

Stage 6 (15 km Cycle)
    I hop on my bike and off I go. Belting down the road. Sure enough, a km or two away, the sharp left turn off road. However, its no where near as bad as I remembered. Probably because of the approach to CP was so bad. I'm fyling along this surface and meet a photographer. "Smile" he says. This time he gets a big grin. Shortly afterwards the phone rings. I know who it is straight away. Wifey said she'd stay away as it was a long drive to come only to see me cross the line. My sentiments exactly but she came anyway wanting to surprise me at the line. I had told her previously of my target but I was running an hour last because of delay at the start and waiting for gits at the kayak. So I answer, "where are you", "are you ok", "what's it like". She wants a full detailed report. Breathless I have to tell her politely I'm mid-race and I'll see her in 20 mins. My heart beats. At this stage, the emotions set in, you've been pushing your body to the limits and you're so close to the end of this torture. The thoughts of seeing wifey and my little girl at the line cheering me on sets a few tears rolling. I laugh off the tears, if only the lads could see me know I say to myself.

I reach the end of the off road section and am belting down the road, carefully pressing the breaks. I nearly lost the bike a few times at this stage last year. I'm up the arse of another lad but he's going at a decent pace so thankfully I don't have to consider taking him.

We reach the main road back into WP. There a loads of people cheering us on. Few mins later I reach the harbour. Cars everywhere. What the hell is this? I'm just about to overtake a car when I see a steward waving frantically telling me to slow down and take a left in off the road. Wifey's there holding my little girl roaring at me. Emotions flood back and I hold back the tears.

What a nice finish to the race, cycling through crowds of people to the finish line...so I thought anyway. I go through all the people and find myself on the pier. People walking towards me with their bikes. Where am I supposed to go? Someone sees the confused look on my face and tells me to continue up to the top of the pier. I press on reaching the football pitch....who the hell plays here! I drop the bike and am told that there is a 800 mtrs run to the finish line. "Are you serious" I demand. I thought it was only going to be a couple of hundred mtrs max.
    For the last time I put the head down and try to start running. Running on empty now but I know I'm nearly there.

I cross the line, I get my print out. 4hrs 50mins it says. Absolutely thrilled. I thought the cycle to CP cost at least 20~30mins. Well it felt like it anyway. Unfortunately I miss my target., I come in 155th. 8 mins from the top 100.

Gits literally hobbles over nearly 3 hours later. He can't talk. I can't help think of his achievement. He completed a 30 cycle, up/down CP and the 15km cycle home without being able to bend his knee. He'll be back next year. As will I. I wasn't going to do it next year but I can't help looking forward to it now. The organisation this year was so much better than last years. Everything that was wrong with last year has been rectified. What a day. What other event will push you so far to the limit of what your body will take and have you come out smiling afterwars?

Next year I'm going to break the top 100 for sure, how? who knows but I have to aim for something.

Advertisement