Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You think If 100 Million people lives on this Island?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I Wonder what this island Would be like if 100 million people lived on this island I say it would be very cramped anyway lol. But if 100 million people did live here How would the goverment cope? and Where would they live? Any ideas anyone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

The government would be thrilled at the prospect of dreaming up new ways to tax the 100 million people without actually improving the services they provide.

And I'd imagine the extra people would live in some form of shelter...like houses/ apartments left to rot in many villages, towns & cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

It would be kind of impossible I think? We'd need the population density of Beijing or something across the whole country I'd imagine. Which isn't going to happen any time soon.

So, it's an irrelevant question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Slums,slums everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RobitTV wrote: »
    I Wonder what this island Would be like if 100 million people lived on this island I say it would be very cramped anyway lol.

God help the area around Croke park on match day.
    Unless most of the 100 million lived in Dublin.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I Wonder what this island Would be like if 100 million people lived on this island

Presuming there's a 50/50 male to female split, that would mean that there would be 100 million extra boobs on the island and 50 million more tits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Scumbags/the lazy/homeless/unemployable/ will be used as soylent green. We could even sell it abroad, "Genuine Oirish Soylent Green, it's maaaaaaagically delicious!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Presuming there's a 50/50 male to female split, that would mean that there would be 100 million extra boobs on the island and 50 million more tits.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I Wonder what this island Would be like if 100 million people lived on this island I say it would be very cramped anyway lol. But if 100 million people did live here How would the goverment cope? and Where would they live? Any ideas anyone?

What's so funny about people living in cramped quarters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Terry wrote: »
    What's so funny about people living in cramped quarters?

People would be living in probably extreme poverty and the conditions would be so bad as to be a drain on the entire state lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

We'd need 96 million visas, and quick.

• Advertisement

I think the passport office mightn't handle it too well though..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

We could build plenty of tall sky scrapers, and all live on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With 100 million, if someone sneezed in Dublin, some poor bastards standing on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher would fall off.

Nama would make a fortune aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Is there anywhere in the world where there's 100m fitted into the same area as Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

To be honest if 96 million popped out of nowhere I wouldn't be thinking 'How as a country are we going to cope?' I'll be more concerned with getting the f*** out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

We would all be in poverty. An uber-recession if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in the world where there's 100m fitted into the same area as Ireland?

South Korea is 38,375 sq miles and almost 70% of that is mountainous.
    The island of Ireland is 32,595 sq miles and has much more livable and arable land area.

Island of Ireland population: 6 million.
    South Korea population: 48 million.

Island of Ireland population density: 73.4 per square kilometer.
    South Korea population density: 487 per square kilometer.

Too serious for AH ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What Do You think If 100 Million people lives on this Island?

All our base be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The main island of Singapore is only 250 square miles (Co Louth is 317 square miles) and the population is 3.8 million. I don't think it's quite as dense as 100 million people living in Ireland but it's still quite a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The main island of Singapore is only 250 square miles (Co Louth is 317 square miles) and the population is 3.8 million. I don't think it's quite as dense as 100 million people living in Ireland but it's still quite a lot!

It's different when its paddies crowded together though...won't end well....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Superbus wrote: »
    It would be kind of impossible I think? We'd need the population density of Beijing or something across the whole country I'd imagine.

we wouldn't, malta has roughly 20 times the population density of ireland, while malta is built up alot there is still plenty of rural areas on the island, no slums either

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The Hong Kong-Shenhzen-Guangzhou region in China. 120 million people crammed in... I'm not sure how big it is though, I think it's smaller than Ireland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/22/un-cities-mega-regions

Ireland that crowded would be scary. Fun to imagine it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If the whole of Ireland had the population density of Manhattan there would be over 2.3 billion people on the island. (Using the whole island of Ireland 84,421 km2 x 27,485 people/km2 in Manhattan).

Ireland has a population of about 6million, North and South. It's about the same size as England, which has a population of 50 million. It's not hard to imaging squeezing 100million in with plenty of space left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    If the whole of Ireland had the population density of Manhattan there would be over 2.3 billion people on the island. (Using the whole island of Ireland 84,421 km2 x 27,485 people/km2 in Manhattan).

Ireland has a population of about 6million, North and South. It's about the same size as England, which has a population of 50 million. It's not hard to imaging squeezing 100million in with plenty of space left over.

England has about 18000 square miles on the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Bangladesh has about 120 million or something and its not so much bigger than the Island and look at what its like over there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Ireland is two thirds the size of England by area.
    It has about one tenth the population.

Ireland really could do with more people imo, and a second city to balance out dublin in the west or south. There is only two real cities on the entire island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The island would sink !!

Actually, we would all drown from the drool that this would bring about from the housing developers, bankers and politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Well by the time we'd get to 8 million, we'd have a spud famine and be reduced back to 4 million.

8 mill thats the limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Ireland is two thirds the size of England by area.
    It has about one tenth the population.

Ireland really could do with more people imo, and a second city to balance out dublin in the west or south. There is only two real cities on the entire island.

Ireland is too small to maintain a lot of services (like the trains) and have them run competitively. Apart from that no matter where you go in the country everyone knows everyone, with the possible exception of Dublin. I know in Cork at least you cant go anywhere within 5 miles of the city and not know someone. So Ireland does need a larger population.
    On the other hand 100 million is way too many. We would need to start building high rise and that hasnt been going so well so far to be honest. And the land feuds would be ridiculous. The Field would have nothing on 'em.

Advertisement