Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cén fáth a raibh Gaeilge bhaintear as an ardán Dunlaoghaire? [Read edit in 1st post]

Options
  • 14-08-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

[Victor]Some of this thread is in Irish, there is a google translator here: http://translate.google.com/#ga|en|[/Victor]

Thug mé ar De Luain seo go bhfuil an Gaeilge baineadh as an imeall ardán Dunlaoghaire agus d'fhan an leagan Béarla den rabhadh. :mad:

2rgywqh.jpg

uon7b.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

There's probably not as many Irish speakers in Dun Laoghaire as there are English speakers? Personally I think the 'signs as Gaeilge' thing is way overdone. I was on a Luas recently and all the signage in one section of the unit were as Gaeilge. I was good at Irish in school but unfortunately have lost most of it in the past twenty years. They may as well have it in mandarin for some of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nach léir go bhfuil "Fan Taobh Líne Seo" míchruinn.

Ba cheart go ndéarfaí "Fan AR an Taobh SEO DEN Líne BUÍ"

Is contúirtí go mór míchrunneas ná easpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Id say there are more people in Ireland that can speak Polish than Irish. Why isnt everything in Polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'd imagine it's because "Fan Taobh Líne Seo" doesn't actually mean anything. If you were to translate it directly, it would read "Stay side this line."

A while back, some genius in Iarnród Éireann decided to remove the old wording, "Fan Taobh Thiar Den Líne Seo," which does in fact mean "Keep behind this line," and replace it with the above gobbledegook. I can only assume that the error was subsequently pointed out to them, because the wording was then corrected in most stations. Presumably Dun Laoghaire was missed and is now catching up.

Isn't it good to know our money is being well spent? :rolleyes:

There's some real gems of Irish "translations" on roadsigns, stations signs, etc. around the place if you keep your eyes peeled.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it! :p

I'm also going to give this thread a further 10 posts before it becomes a pointless debate on the merits of the Irish language. Any takers? Lower? Higher? Place your bets!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

There shouldn't be Irish on any signs anymore than there should be signs in Latin.

Dead language and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Ironic that the town in question must be the most mis-spelled placename in the country, with no English translation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Ironic that the town in question must be the most mis-spelled placename in the country, with no English translation!
    Yes, that's definitely ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I was in An Rinn in the week and was doing 80k wondering what "STAD" means..... what hope for the poor tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

If their destinations display on commuter railcars is anything to go by it will say maigh nuad in dun laoghire!

I was on connolly bound train nd it was showing castleconnell as the destination

Ive also seen nenagh newry mosney manulla junction all in the dublin area!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

No matter what State Agency or company uses Irish, somebody always goes onto the media within a day or two to say that it's wrongly worded. You'd think that the translations are being made up as they go along!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

There shouldn't be Irish on any signs anymore than there should be signs in Latin.

Dead language and all.

Irish is not a dead language. I personally don't have a problem with it on signs, it's part of our culture. Similarly, Scotland and Wales hae bilingual signage at their stations, so it's not just an Irish phenomenon.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Id say there are more people in Ireland that can speak Polish than Irish. Why isnt everything in Polish?

Polish is not an official language of the country, though it's speakers may have increased in the past decade. Controversial though this may sound, generally immigrants adapt to their new country, not the other way round. (Look at the mass imigration of Irish, Italian and other nationalities into the United States in the 19th and 20th centuries). No offence meant to any immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

An bhfuil céad agam dul amach go dtí an leithreas más é do thoil é:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Irish is not a dead language. I personally don't have a problem with it on signs, it's part of our culture. Similarly, Scotland and Wales hae bilingual signage at their stations, so it's not just an Irish phenomenon.

Polish is not an official language of the country, though it's speakers may have increased in the past decade. Controversial though this may sound, generally immigrants adapt to their new country, not the other way round. (Look at the mass imigration of Irish, Italian and other nationalities into the United States in the 19th and 20th centuries). No offence meant to any immigrants.

All the Polish I have met have adapted brilliantly to the English language, more power to them! The Guy I worked with last week even referred to his wife as "the old doll"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Oliver1985 wrote: »

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpapear na treoracha agus na ceisteanna chuid ahhhh

Chuid Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

corktina wrote: »
    All the Polish I have met have adapted brilliantly to the English language, more power to them! The Guy I worked with last week even referred to his wife as "the old doll"

Exactly, which proves that there is little need for Polish signs, interesting though the concept of trilingual signage might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpapear na treoracha agus na ceisteanna quid ahhhh

Quid Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Léigh anois go cúramach ar do scrúdpapear na treoracha agus na ceisteanna quid ahhhh

Quid Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Níl aon "Q" i nGaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the mind definitely boggles but i am still trying to figure out where Nás na Ríogh agus an gluaisteán disappeared to so dún laoghaire stations platform sinage would not be a priority:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Oliver1985 wrote: »

Ní féidir leat úsáid an leithris nuair a bhíonn an traein stop sa stáisiún. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Many years ago,in the 1980`s in fact,when I first worked in Kingstown and it`s environs it was not unusual for one to note on a journey on the 59 bus route that many of the road name signs had their Irish translations painted out......perhaps it`s that sense of independence reasserting itself one again.... ;)....either that or maybe it really is time to Run to da Hills !!!! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Breezer wrote: »
    I'm also going to give this thread a further 10 posts before it becomes a pointless debate on the merits of the Irish language. Any takers? Lower? Higher? Place your bets!

Hopefully not, or I'll move it to the Gaeilge forum... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ok back on topic, Why have CIE wiped out the Irish translation of a platform warning on Dunlaoghaire Station?

Is this a new policy?

If word of this gets around we could see nationalists starting to paint over the English versions. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

corktina wrote: »
    I was in An Rinn in the week and was doing 80k wondering what "STAD" means..... what hope for the poor tourists?

Report that one. There is no Irish language equivalent of the STOP sign, STAD is illegal on them.

Dead language and all.

450px-Wallsend_platfom_2_02.jpg

Like at Wallsend? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Irish Rail probably put the notice in english only because they really don't want people to fall in front of the trains and almost 100% of the population and a high percentage of tourists understand english.

Only a tiny percentage of people use irish in any way and putting safety messages in irish is dangerous and is a complete waste of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Ok back on topic, Why have CIE wiped out the Irish translation of a platform warning on Dunlaoghaire Station?

Is this a new policy?
    No. Breezer already answered your question. The Irish was wrong and is probably being replaced.

In general though, Irish Rail's use of the Irish language is pretty haphazard. A lot of signage is only in English. And while the RPA has changed its PIS to provide full translations of all announcements, Irish Rail's are still fully in English save for the placenames. Which sounds completely stupid. Not that the announcements on the DART ever really work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

jahalpin wrote: »
    Irish Rail probably put the notice in english only because they really don't want people to fall in front of the trains and almost 100% of the population and a high percentage of tourists understand english.

Only a tiny percentage of people use irish in any way and putting safety messages in irish is dangerous and is a complete waste of time and money

But what about the few asshole Gaeligoir-types who insist on wasting money on having everything translated into bog-talk?

How will they feel all smug and self satisfied if we dump this archaic nonsense from our public buildings?

I much prefer the way the DART does it - the RPA method makes it seem like a constant rolling commentary throughout the city centre.

IÉ's intercity stock also has full Irish and English announcements on the PIS. I think the Mk4s are the worst, it doesn't seem to go on as long in the 22Ks.

jahalpin wrote: »

As long as it is also in English I don't see it as dangerous, no more than the French and German translations to be found on Motorways. Regardless of how many speak it, it's presence does not create a danger in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But what about the few asshole Gaeligoir-types who insist on wasting money on having everything translated into bog-talk?

How will they feel all smug and self satisfied if we dump this archaic nonsense from our public buildings?

Can you use a little less tar on that brush next time?

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I much prefer the way the DART does it - the RPA method makes it seem like a constant rolling commentary throughout the city centre.

IÉ's intercity stock also has full Irish and English announcements on the PIS. I think the Mk4s are the worst, it doesn't seem to go on as long in the 22Ks.

Indeed, I'm sure anyone who has travelled on the Luas a few times by now knows it by heart!

Advertisement