Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco EPC2425 gateway mode option gone...

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Maybe its just my router thats lost the option.
    Firmware version is epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc
    Anyone else have this issue?
    I had to use browser history to browse directly to:
    http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bricks wrote: »

That's worrying, that firmware looks to be dated May 19th, rather than the previous March 1st. I'm worried that rebooting my modem will remove options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ya I have lost the option too (i think) what was is called again?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

gone for me also. I dont use it but checked for it and it has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Anyway you should be able to use the link as above to access the gateway mode page. So there's no panic just yet, but it is worrying.

Seems to work both ways tho, even in bridge mode the option isn't there.

They may have removed it to stop people from using it since I've heard it doesn't work with their phone service.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'm having a problem with my phone when I switch to BRIDGE Mode the line drops . :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

One thing I have noticed over the last 4 days is my cisco modem losing all settings. The wirless network SSID gets changed back to the default and its a pita setting up the options again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sparky wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed over the last 4 days is my cisco modem losing all settings. The wirless network SSID gets changed back to the default and its a pita setting up the options again

They've always done that if they power cycle. Hence it's yet another reason to go down the bridge route if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Spear wrote: »
    They've always done that if they power cycle. Hence it's yet another reason to go down the bridge route if possible.
    Will have to dig out the wag54G soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Tried to get bridge mode working on this pos again today. It seems to work now when I plug my laptop in using DHCP (get assigned a 89.xxx IP) but when I try plug a cable into the wan port of my wrt54g or wndr3700 they both fail to get an ip. Any ideas?

MickeyD wrote: »
    Tried to get bridge mode working on this pos again today. It seems to work now when I plug my laptop in using DHCP (get assigned a 89.xxx IP) but when I try plug a cable into the wan port of my wrt54g or wndr3700 they both fail to get an ip. Any ideas?

I've been able to multiple public IPs to different devices on the same modem in the past. Unless they've changed in the last firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I can't even get it to work even when the router is the only attached device. I tried to assign the static ips i got from when i plugged in the laptop but that didn't work either. Its like it's having trouble "talking" to the cisco, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭banana_plug

this is insanelly handy information. thank you man. ive lost my bridge mode and it helped me out alot. i believe for the rest of ppl also. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Wow, that saved me some panic, thanks!

Anyone else with the issue that phone doesn't work in Bridged mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

thanks for documenting this. just saved me a whole lot of pain.

I just ran into an issue where the Cisco EPC2425 was disconnecting my VPN connection every 15mins (no idea how or why yet). Putting the EPC2425 into bridge mode and using my own router resolved the problem. :)

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

cgarvey wrote: »
    Wow, that saved me some panic, thanks!

Anyone else with the issue that phone doesn't work in Bridged mode?

Yep - you can't run bridge mode and have phone..
    Limitation of the router.

You need to get one of the modems to allow you to have phone and use your own router :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Anyone know if UPC will allow a second 2425 to be plugged in and use one for phone and mean I can use the other in bridge mode? Have a spare one from another install and was gonna see if they would let me do this via another cable point in the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you can't bridge, then set your separate router to a different subnet, i.e. 192.168.3.xxx for everything on LAN.

Then give your router WAN port a static IP in the LAN range of the Cisco Router/Cable Modem and only plug the WAN port into Cisco.
    Disable WiFi on the Cisco
    Then on the Cisco make the IP of your standalone WiFi/Router a DMZ. Then all ports are forwarded both ways, it's almost like Bridge Mode. To the 3rd party standalone WiFi/Router it will look like the Cisco is in Bridge mode but as if your public IP is the LAN IP on the Cisco set up for DMZ.

The actual Public IP is of course whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Anyone know if UPC will allow a second 2425 to be plugged in and use one for phone and mean I can use the other in bridge mode? Have a spare one from another install and was gonna see if they would let me do this via another cable point in the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Modem is their property.
    Only they can provision it. Normally two Modems = two subscriptions.

If you want Data on one Cable Modem and phone calls on the other Cable modem, it's technically possible. But UPC would have to configure it. You need to ask them. No one else can do other than guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Hey all... anyone know... or can point me towards... what to do once i've set the cisco to bridge mode? was able to do it, and am connected via ethernet cable to another modem (a vodafone home gateway i've tapped into the advanced settings of...).
    it seems like it's connecting, but for some reason it will only work on one computer a time??

Anyone any idea on this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You'll need to give more details to get better help! In Bridge mode, the Vodafone home gateway (this seems overly complicated a setup, but I'm sure you have your reasons!) is responsible for sharing the connection. It should be the only recipient of a public/routable IP address from the Cisco and NAT that IP using private/internal IPs with anything connected to it.

So, firstly, are you sure the Vodafone home gateway can support this setup? Not many devices do DHCP on WAN side and then separate DHCP on LAN side. The Vodafone device isn't a DSL type thing, is it? It needs to have a separate WAN ethernet port.

cgarvey wrote: »
    You'll need to give more details to get better help! In Bridge mode, the Vodafone home gateway (this seems overly complicated a setup, but I'm sure you have your reasons!) is responsible for sharing the connection. It should be the only recipient of a public/routable IP address from the Cisco and NAT that IP using private/internal IPs with anything connected to it.

So, firstly, are you sure the Vodafone home gateway can support this setup? Not many devices do DHCP on WAN side and then separate DHCP on LAN side. The Vodafone device isn't a DSL type thing, is it? It needs to have a separate WAN ethernet port.

Actually, the Vodafone modem is a standard dsl modem, that i'm putting into bridge mode too... am I way off here? I wanted to use the equipment I had, and the vodafone router has a TON of options once you get into the admin side, i'm just a bit lost - doesn't have a dedicated WAN but has the usual 4 LAN ports... I thought i was getting somewhere cos i did get it to work perfectly, but as i said only for the first computer to connect to it after starting up... i'm guessing something to do with only having one IP to assign, or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

watty wrote:
    If you can't bridge, then set your separate router to a different subnet, i.e. 192.168.3.xxx for everything on LAN.

Then give your router WAN port a static IP in the LAN range of the Cisco Router/Cable Modem and only plug the WAN port into Cisco.
    Then on the Cisco make the IP of your standalone WiFi/Router a DMZ. Then all ports are forwarded both ways, it's almost like Bridge Mode. To the 3rd party standalone WiFi/Router it will look like the Cisco is in Bridge mode but as if your public IP is the LAN IP on the Cisco set up for DMZ.

The actual Public IP is of course whatever

Any specific routers recommended for this (ona budget)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

zacseph wrote: »
    Actually, the Vodafone modem is a standard dsl modem, that i'm putting into bridge mode too... am I way off here? I wanted to use the equipment I had, and the vodafone router has a TON of options once you get into the admin side, i'm just a bit lost - doesn't have a dedicated WAN but has the usual 4 LAN ports... I thought i was getting somewhere cos i did get it to work perfectly, but as i said only for the first computer to connect to it after starting up... i'm guessing something to do with only having one IP to assign, or something??
    if you have an ADSL router with an RJ11 phone port instead of a dedicated ethernet WAN port then it's not going to work properly, and i'm surprised you got anything working on it at all unless you turned of routing on the vodafone modem and it's basically just acting as a switch and your single PC is getting an external (or internal, but you should still get more than one) IP passed directly from the cisco via the vodafone router.

basically, it's not going to work the way you want it to. your best bet is to either just make do with the cisco or sell the vodafone one on ebay and buy a broadband router (not a dsl one) with a dedicated ethernet WAN port that will work properly in bridge mode.

I just set one up there today with a mate who bought a Linksys WRT54GL off komplett for €51.75. it took less than 5 minutes to re-flash it with the tomato firmware and another 10 minutes configuring it just how he wanted it and setting up his half a dozen wireless devices with WPA2 encryption that he could never even get to work with his old router (all he was using before was mac filtering with no encryption) and he's got a rock solid router with wireless that gives a uch better signal right through his whole house and garden (he had to use a repeater with his old router just to get poor coverage of the whole house), not to mention just about every feature he'll ever need for next to nothing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brendank

watty wrote: »

Thank you so much! This was PERFECT, the EPC2425 is now feeding everything thru to the Linksys WRT310N, and the UPC phone still works. Another proof that boards.ie is absolutely essential. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 josh_cruiser1

brendank wrote: »
    watty wrote: »

Thank you so much! This was PERFECT, the EPC2425 is now feeding everything thru to the Linksys WRT310N, and the UPC phone still works. Another proof that boards.ie is absolutely essential. :)

Hi,

Big apologies for my failure to understand this, but I really can't seem to follow. How do I actually do the following on my WRT610N (192.168.1.1)? If someone can please expound on this a little bit and I'll try to take it from there.

1. set your separate router to a different subnet, i.e. 192.168.3.xxx for everything on LAN
    2. Then give your router WAN port a static IP in the LAN range of the Cisco Router/Cable Modem

Thanks a mil in advance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ZOMBIE THREAD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement