Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE reporting from the M9 this evening

• 12-08-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Saw this report from them about all the parked lorrys with ads off the motorways and the fact that there is a legal dispute over whether they are allowed.

Why did I do this thread? Well, i see the reporter reporting from beside the M9 Motorway. You can bet your black backside that RTE have parked the van on the hard shoulder. Such muppets, hypocrites and general morons. :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

You really are very angry very angry man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Standing in the grass, behind the crash barrier at the top of a slip road onto the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

whyulittle veryangryman!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

whyulittle veryangryman staker!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Oliver1985 wrote: »

+1 :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Oliver1985 wrote: »

GRRR! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The video for this report is here:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1078439

Coverage of the trailers starts at 15:00mins.

I wouldn't consider it an issue as it looks like there's a lot of space to pull over, a Garda jeep passes them at 16:20mins and obviously has no issue with their positioning, and the reporter signs off with "Joe Mulgraney, RTE News, off the M9, in Co. Kildare".

That being said, I'm sure the NRA have more important things to be worrying about than where some farmer parks his trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As far as I know, parking a vehicle for advertising isn't allowed - you need planning permission. If only the councils would deal with the permanent advertising structure that pop-up everywhere and the abuse on-road also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

These are the 40ft trailers left in fields for advertising right? (no vi links in work)

I don't really see an issue with this, farmers are entitled to leave plant and machinery in their field if they so wish. They aren't distracting, just annoying. As long as they are properly declaring any income they make from it and the trailers are still mobile I see no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

They are an eyesore.

Only a matter of time before some bright spark ups the ante and puts flasing neon lights on one..... that would be distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A related issue to my mind is the draping of huge banners across overbridges for motorists below to see. What if these large advertisements were to become loose and fall onto the road beneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They are an eyesore.
    I agree, they're a complete mess. Thing is, if these were normal billboards they'd require planning permission (probably refused) and rightly so, so the fact that they're on the sides of trucks should be irrelevant. Best to nip this kind of thing in the bud before it gets out of hand IMO.

As an aside, some of these ads are for rest stops / service stations which should be signposted properly, as has been pointed out in the various threads regarding the new MSA's.

On the other hand nobody in their right mind is going to make a flash decision while happening to be driving along the M9 to pop in on a whim to buy a new bed or kitchen, so most of these ads are pretty pointless anyway. Anyone who wants to find these places should be able to find them by looking up the location beforehand and planning their journey properly and shouldn't need the assistance of an ugly billboard to tell them where to get off the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They are an eyesore.

the road is an "eyesore" too, and a much bigger one at that. Should we get rid of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don't really see an issue with this, farmers are entitled to leave plant and machinery in their field if they so wish. They aren't distracting, just annoying.
    In Ontario, signage is heavily regulated within 400m of a Provincial motorway or major road so farmers hosting noncompliant advertising have to have billboards
    THIS BIG to be still seen by passing traffic.

As for the "not distracting" argument - this is something over which there is much debate in respect of static billboards and even if they didn't the next step from there is a generator mounted on the trailer to power video screens, which being lit and changeable have the means to grab more of the driver's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Absolute eyesores these ads. Ban them and stop them quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Just to tell you OP then RTE vans can park where they want.. Thats why you see the RTE vans parking anywhere out side leinster house.. yellow lines or anywhere..

Advertisement