Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor crashes into atmosphere over New Mexico

Options
  • 11-08-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

A meteor exploded in the atmosphere near Santa Fe, New Mexico just before 5 a.m. on the morning of July 31. Local amateur radio astronomer Thomas Ashcraft captured the event from his personal observatory using an all-sky optical video camera developed by Sandia National Laboratories that is specifically sensitive to the near infrared flashes that meteors create.

Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/meteor-fireball-video/#ixzz0wHrJEObU

above links includes video of explosion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Thanks Wolf,

Perseids are on at the moment so a good oppurtunity to see a few meteors(weather dependent, lol). I went out for a look last night , saw four in total , two of them were huge , their trail stayed in the sky for a few seconds. I am open to correction , but I heard this trail is actually the atmosphere being ionised as they pass through.

The shower is peaking tommorrow night so keep an eye to the sky! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

thanks Beast.

This article is a good beginners (like me) guide to the perseids.

http://iya2009.com/perseid-meteor-shower-peaks-on-tuesday.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Would there have been a Perseid comet thingy as early as last Saturday? We were at an evening outdoor event with lots of fires and Chinese lanterns and stuff but myself and another person saw something streaking across the sky which I said was a rocket firework gone wrong but she insisted was a meteor/comet. It was very large and close to earth.

This seems like a nice website.

Night Sky Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

On the local news tonight, a report that a small meteorite (a meteor that reaches the ground, in other words) crashed into a house under construction some time on Monday and was found embedded in the wooden frame. Apparently it was still smoking hot when found. This was in the city of Kelowna which is about 200 miles northeast of Vancouver and the largest city in the central interior on Okanagan Lake. Heading out with my helmet on to see if the Perseids will come out to play ... clear and midnight here.

Advertisement