Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A1 - Newry Bypass Dual Carriageway (NOW OPEN)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

J11 M50 to Sprucefield Junction was about 80 mins this morning, good going!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Pictures guys, pictures. Please. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Nuttzz wrote: »
    J11 M50 to Sprucefield Junction was about 80 mins this morning, good going!
    That's 1h30 to edge of Belfast to Tallaght turn off then. Or 90 mins IKEA to IKEA!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

Here are some photos, taken travelling northbound last Sunday.

1. Just after the merge of the northbound on-ramp at the Newry south exit. Lots of blasting was done in this area to make space for the northbound carriageway we're on.
    IMG_6545.JPG

2. RCS northbound after the Newry south exit. There should really be a reminder here that these distances are in miles.
    IMG_6546.JPG

3. Check out the view over Newry city to the Mournes from this viewpoint.
    IMG_6548.JPG

4. Approaching the junction with the A25. This is the exit I'd use for Newry on a Sunday morning, as the Newry south one has fairly long tailbacks on the old A1 when entering the city.
    IMG_6549.JPG

5. Signage at the exit.
    IMG_6551.JPG

6. We're now offline from the old A1. Up until the Camlough Road exit, the existing A1 was dualed. North of here it's all new build.
    IMG_6552.JPG

7. The countryside around here is quite rolling.
    IMG_6554.JPG

8. Note the viaduct on this bend.
    IMG_6558.JPG

9. Quite bendy here.
    IMG_6560.JPG

10. Approaching Sheepbridge junction.
    IMG_6561.JPG

11. On-slip at Sheepbridge. We're approaching the route of the old A1, north of Newry.
    IMG_6565.JPG

12. RCS north of Sheepbridge.
    IMG_6566.JPG

13. Newry bypass section ends shortly after this bridge. The next few km until Banbridge are a recently-completed upgrade of the low-standard road that existing previously. However, the upgrade still has at-grade crossings, the first you'll have encountered since the traffic lights at Whitehall in Dublin city.
    IMG_6568.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

dev92c wrote: »
    DISCLAIMER: the following suggestions are for when there is a united Ireland which I believe will be by 2030.

I was driving from Dublin to Belfast the other day and was appalled at the state of the road. The A1 with its median turns, poor sight lines and many other impediments is a disgrace. But so is the Irish section. I felt that in a reunified Ireland this would need to be improved and I felt I had the solutions.

Agree that a better road to Belfast is a necessity, but let's be realistic about the united Ireland thing. Did you follow the RIC commemoration debacle this week? We can't even share a history, let alone a country.

Anyway. Is it really necessary to build a new motorway for the Northern Ireland part? The A1 has a broad grassy strip down the middle - about 7 metres wide. Chop that out, put in a concrete divider like on most modern Irish motorways, and you have enough room for a 4-lane motorway with a hard shoulder all the way from Newry to Lisburn without buying a square metre of land.

The rather large amounts of money saved can then be partially spent on bridges/underpasses to grade separate the important junctions and close the rest (with accessory roads where needed).

I'd be glad to have my figures checked, but wouldn't that be cheaper and easier? Especially with the challenges the A5 faced under NI planning law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I’m a republican and believe it will happen sooner rather than later what with Brexit and other issues.

Back to the motorway, the thing about the current A1 is that there is no alternative route and the road has bad sight lines and most junctions aren’t grade separated so it couldn’t be designated as motorway. A new offline M1 would need to be built.

Maybe you're right. But people thought NI wouldn't last five years when it was first created and now it is nearly a century old. Brexit is all the more reason for unionists to hug GB closer. This past week has shown yet again why unionists won't give their permission for NI to join Ireland - I can't blame them to be honest.

My suggestion was to grade-separate the A1 where necessary. Sight lines can also be improved when needed, or the road can just keep its 100 km/h speed limit. Much cheaper than designing, purchasing land for, and constructing about 35 km of new motorway, no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There’s no alternative route so it couldn’t be designated a motorway, hence an offline build would be better.

So build an off line single carriageway alternative route then, rather than have two dual carriageway/motorways side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Your substantive points about roads are sensible but your username is the best I've ever read!

Agree that a better road to Belfast is a necessity, but let's be realistic about the united Ireland thing. Did you follow the RIC commemoration debacle this week? We can't even share a history, let alone a country.

Anyway. Is it really necessary to build a new motorway for the Northern Ireland part? The A1 has a broad grassy strip down the middle - about 7 metres wide. Chop that out, put in a concrete divider like on most modern Irish motorways, and you have enough room for a 4-lane motorway with a hard shoulder all the way from Newry to Lisburn without buying a square metre of land.

The rather large amounts of money saved can then be partially spent on bridges/underpasses to grade separate the important junctions and close the rest (with accessory roads where needed).

I'd be glad to have my figures checked, but wouldn't that be cheaper and easier? Especially with the challenges the A5 faced under NI planning law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Wesley Johnston Page for the A1 upgrade

Grade separation is already planned for the major junctions and they are slowly closing the direct accesses, it will be a long time, if ever before you see a full motorway Belfast to Dublin but there will be a close to equivalent quality road eventually. The 60mph sections may be re-mediated by the new GSJs (except around Banbridge which I suppose is a similar situation to Athlone on the M6)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Sight lines can also be improved when needed, or the road can just keep its 100 km/h speed limit.

Most of the road has the default UK dual carriageway limit of 70mph, with the crossing-heavy sections on the Banbridge and Dromore bypasses at 60mph. There are much worse sight lines in the 70 zones than in the 60 zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wesley Johnston Page for the A1 upgrade

Grade separation is already planned for the major junctions and they are slowly closing the direct accesses, it will be a long time, if ever before you see a full motorway Belfast to Dublin but there will be a close to equivalent quality road eventually. The 60mph sections may be re-mediated by the new GSJs (except around Banbridge which I suppose is a similar situation to Athlone on the M6)

Bits around Banbridge and Dromore are 60mph sections... some of which is basically 2+2 with no hard shoulder (and one very low bridge in the driving lane) and yeah, the alignment and the curvature is probably not the best for 70mph.

If it were up to me, I'd extend the Banbridge 60mph section south a little, this junction is just outside of the 60mph section and is terrifying.

https://goo.gl/maps/hE57hVx3f7FXE7Vr8

You'll notice you can't quite see the actual junction (not the house) because its around a bend and downhill.

Advertisement