Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

In fairness to them, since they are actually improving the terms its not unreasonable of them to expect that people will not want to drop the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Couldn't agree more CC should have been informed on this ,how did they not think people would want to break contract, so many things would want them to.

Now offering Free meteor to meteor calls and texts
    Anyone who wants a early upgrade
    Anyone who wants to be out of the contract so as soon as the next must have phone arrives they can sign back up.

Anyone who wants another cheap desire to sell on.

Like i have said before im actually happy with meteor but its nice to know i could leave when i wanted to that's why im trying to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm on a Bill Pay Smart contract (2 months in). Does anyone know if the changes to the plan will come into affect for me? i.e. the free meteor to meteor calls and texts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm on a Bill Pay Smart contract (2 months in). Does anyone know if the changes to the plan will come into affect for me? i.e. the free meteor to meteor calls and texts?

Not according to meteor when I spoke to them over the weekend. Also, the smart plan was no longer showing the free meteor to meteor talk & text when I checked the site this morning which I thought was odd, not sure what to make of that

rachel wrote: »
    Not according to meteor when I spoke to them over the weekend. Also, the smart plan was no longer showing the free meteor to meteor talk & text when I checked the site this morning which I thought was odd, not sure what to make of that

It's showing it now anyway. That sucks though if they won't put existing customers on the new rates.

Has anyone tried to get out of their contract yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I have 2 contracts with meteor, an 18 month , taken out 6 months ago, and a 12 month, taken on 2 weeks ago.

Just rang them, was very nice and explained that I didn't want to leave Meteor but if the option was there to leave the contract , I would take it.

He told me that the price change is for the better, so it doesn't apply, I told him that while I agree it was for the better, it's irrelevant, as it's still a change of the terms of the contract. He had a look again, and said he wasn't sure.

Then he said that their new data charges are being enforced by the EU, and they have no power over this, so it doesn't count.

I went on to explain that what he is telling me and what is written on the Meteor website are 2 different things. I read out the bit that states:
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

He then said that this was contract jargon and he wasn't sure exactly what it meant , put me on hold, then came back and said the supervisor has been out for a few days but will be back later, said the supervisor would give me a buzz later.

I think if we stick to our guns we should be released from our contracts.

I know it's a bit harsh , but they screw us all the time too, like only giving new customers free talk and txt to meteor etc, so, it's pay back time!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think I'll wait a couple of days before I call. Don't really want to waste my time trying to explain their own terms to them. This was highlighted to them on SATURDAY! They should all know about this by now and be able to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bacchus wrote: »
    That sucks though if they won't put existing customers on the new rates.

It's a bloody disgrace, I've been with Meteor for 8 years. Have 3 contracts with them, well, they're all out of contract. I'd happily sign up to the new smart plan to get the free meteor to meteor calls... But in order to do this, I've to swap my number over to o2/voda etc and then swap back to meteor. It's ridiculous... I for one hope as many people as possible can shaft them n get out of their contracts...

• Advertisement

I think most people will be waiting for news of one successful contract cancellation here & then a barrage of calls will begin.

I can see that free meteor talk & text are being offered on the smart lite contract but it's not showing that on the smart 12/18 month contract but it definitely was over the weekend, unless my browser is broken?

I think most people will be waiting for news of one successful contract cancellation here & then a barrage of calls will begin.

I can see that free meteor talk & text are being offered on the smart lite contract but it's not showing that on the smart 12/18 month contract but it definitely was over the weekend, unless my browser is broken?

LET THE BARRAGE BEGIN!

they just got back to me, confirmed I can cancel and put me through to cancellations.

They said that my contract would be canceled , I'd be moved to PAYG, and if I wanted to move back to bill I'd have to start the process from scratch.

Haven't done anything yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The guy I spoke to told me I should be able to get out of contract, but to ring back on Monday as nobody working the weekend had a clue about the situation. I'll ring him at 3.30 today and see what the story is and report back anyway. He sounded like he wanted me to be able to after waiting so long on hold for him, nice chap, understand his situation, simply that none of them knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnn I'm contemplating giving them a call:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956064

Does any1 know is there a time limit on this? As long as you ring in before 22nd August to cancel is that ok? Or do you have to ring in over the next few days?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    LET THE BARRAGE BEGIN!

they just got back to me, confirmed I can cancel and put me through to cancellations.

They said that my contract would be canceled , I'd be moved to PAYG, and if I wanted to move back to bill I'd have to start the process from scratch.

Haven't done anything yet though!

Thanks for the update. I shall ring them at lunchtime.
    I have resigned myself to having to sign up from scratch and get a new number to get my free talk & text

Thanks for the update. I shall ring them at lunchtime.
    I have resigned myself to having to sign up from scratch and get a new number to get my free talk & text

I assume we can get a new subsidised phone aswell!:D

I'm onto them now, apparently cancellations are very busy:D

I'm onto them now, apparently cancellations are very busy:D
    Done! I should be back on PAYG in the next 15 minutes. My initial €300 deposit will be on my final bill as credit and I'll have to give them a call back then to have it issued either via cheque or into my bank account.

I have to say that was all very easy.

Out of interest, is it only people on the data plans that can cancel or can people on the Bill Pay Connect plans cancel too? My gf is on Connect and it's just not working for her. She's going over her messages and calls regularly. If she was able to go onto PAYG and get the free Meteor calls and texts she'd be sorted, as most people she contacts are Meteor customers.

• Advertisement

Ok, if anyone knows the answer to the following, I'd be very pleased!

I was on bill pay lite, but about 10 days ago, I got a HTC Desire and switched to a 12 month contract.

However, when I did this, I had just started a new billing period on my bill lite plan, so even though I signed the 12 month contract 10 days ago, I'm still on my bill lite plan, my billing date is in a weeks time, at which point I will then move ob to my new bill smart plan(12 month contract).

Can I ring now to cancel the contract(even though the new plan hasn't kicked in yet), or should I wait for another week, when the new plan kicks in, and then ring up to cancel, or am I out of luck all together?

Any opinions welcome!

Ok, if anyone knows the answer to the following, I'd be very pleased!

I was on bill pay lite, but about 10 days ago, I got a HTC Desire and switched to a 12 month contract.

However, when I did this, I had just started a new billing period on my bill lite plan, so even though I signed the 12 month contract 10 days ago, I'm still on my bill lite plan, my billing date is in a weeks time, at which point I will then move ob to my new bill smart plan(12 month contract).

Can I ring now to cancel the contract(even though the new plan hasn't kicked in yet), or should I wait for another week, when the new plan kicks in, and then ring up to cancel, or am I out of luck all together?

Any opinions welcome!
    I suppose you'll need to check your contract and see what T&C's you signed up for. If it's the old T&C's then regardless of whether the contract has started, you have the right to cancel seeing as they've now changed the T&C's.

All imo of course.

I suppose you'll need to check your contract and see what T&C's you signed up for. If it's the old T&C's then regardless of whether the contract has started, you have the right to cancel seeing as they've now changed the T&C's.

All imo of course.

yep I was thinking the same. I'll have a look at the contract but I'm pretty sure this contract would have the old term and conditions on it as it was signed a a week or so before they announced the changes.

Does this mean I'll be left with a new HTC Desire!? Can they ask for it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

yep I was thinking the same. I'll have a look at the contract but I'm pretty sure this contract would have the old term and conditions on it as it was signed a a week or so before they announced the changes.

Does this mean I'll be left with a new HTC Desire!? Can they ask for it back?

They Can't penalise you.

tallus wrote: »
    They Can't penalise you.
    well , asking for it back and refunding me what I paid wouldn't be penalising me, would it? I mean the price I paid was a subsidised price, surely it would cost meteor not to take the phone back?

well , asking for it back and refunding me what I paid wouldn't be penalising me, would it? I mean the price I paid was a subsidised price, surely it would cost meteor not to take the phone back?
    Even if they did ask for it back you don't have to give it to them.

Anyhoo, I just cancelled my contract and I'm officially back on PAYG (no credit though:(). They didn't ask me for it back.

I think I'll wait till me new plan kicks in before I cancel, anyone know when you have to cancel by, is it just as long as it's before the new charges come in?

I think I'll wait till me new plan kicks in before I cancel, anyone know when you have to cancel by, is it just as long as it's before the new charges come in?
    I'd imagine so, yes.

jordainius wrote: »
    Not on their website yet. But in yesterdays Irish Independent there was a customer notification announcing a change in the billpay data pricing. Can't find a link anywhere but it was definitely in the paper.

So I'd imagine under the Regulation 17 of the EC Regulations 2003 Meteor billpay customers now have a penalty free way out of their contracts.

I'd just like to say thank you, you are a legend.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

it takes soooooooooooo long to get to them!!!!

1st call ended by an accident i pressed end call while waiting for cancelation dept.

2nd just randomly ended

3rd got through to customer care but not the cancelation department...said their all busy due to the T&C's thingy and every one canceling their contract LOL and will get a call back later!

about 30 mins past now :S and the horrible transmission of snow patrol :S

Advertisement