Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rachel wrote: »
    Quick question about this, say I get out of the contract, is there anyway to then stay on the same plan but take out a new contract while keeping my number? The reason being, I want to avail of free talk & text to meteor customers.
    I don't mind being locked into a 12/18 month contract, my gripe is that when I signed up to said contract/plan two months ago, free meteor talk & text were not offered, now they are being offered on the plan I am on but as I am already signed up to it, Meteor tell me I cannot avail of it.

Alternatively would it just be easier to get out of this contract, cancel it & then enter into my chosen contract as a new customer, with a new number and go either SIM only or get an additional phone if they are offering free ones with the contract?

To get it, you would have to leave them completely, be away for more than 30days iirc and then come back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The reason being, I want to avail of free talk & text to meteor customers.
    I don't mind being locked into a 12/18 month contract, my gripe is that when I signed up to said contract/plan two months ago, free meteor talk & text were not offered, now they are being offered on the plan I am on but as I am already signed up to it, Meteor tell me I cannot avail of it.

i wanted the same thing too!!

so did any one actually get their contract canceled?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just saw this. I entered into a 12 month contract with Meteor on 21st April with a phone bought from them for 179.99 and 12 months at €25 per month. Then maybe at the end of May, I added a data add on for €10 per month (this can be removed at any time apparantly).

Does this mean I can now ring them up to get out of contract, and not have to pay the remaining months of €25 If I choose not to?

If so, how should I approach them considering tallus had no luck?

Any feedback appreciated :)

well it even says on their website if you do not agree with these terms you may leave your contract without penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I just called and was told Customer Care had not been notified of any such change. I pointed out that it was clearly stated under the Notifications section under Terms & Conditions on the website. The person I spoke to said they would raise it with their Team Leader and call me back if the change is happening.
    Maybe I'm too cynical but I expect I will being putting in another call on Monday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is very interesting.

I also signed up to an 18 month contract when the HTC Desire was released and added the 250mb add on a month later. I also paid a €300 deposit (long story!).

So this means that I can go back to prepay and get my deposit back with no penalty?

Davy wrote: »
    To get it, you would have to leave them completely, be away for more than 30days iirc and then come back to them.

Thanks Davy. So even if I signed up to a new contract with a totally different number, I'd still have to wait 30 days?

Maybe I'm better off continuing my polite but persistent lobbying of their feedback team!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks Davy. So even if I signed up to a new contract with a totally different number, I'd still have to wait 30 days?

Maybe I'm better off continuing my polite but persistent lobbying of their feedback team!

No sorry, a new number should be fine. Its if you wanted to keep the number you had, you have to be off the network for minimum of 30 days

No sorry, a new number should be fine. Its if you wanted to keep the number you had, you have to be off the network for minimum of 30 days

Hi Davy, you seem to know your stuff on this :) Have you any idea on my post above (number 35), would be very interested to find out where I stand :)

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for clarifying. While a new number would be a little awkward at first, the benefit of the free talk and text would far outweigh any inconvenience to me.
    I only switched from PAYG initially as I wanted the Desire so it was still a worthwhile sacrifice.

cormie wrote: »
    Hi Davy, you seem to know your stuff on this :) Have you any idea on my post above (number 35), would be very interested to find out where I stand :)

If your not happy with the new pricing, then they have to release you. You will send be maying the €35 a month until you notify them otherwise that you are switching elsewhere etc.

If you do not agree, you will not get the benefit of the new pricing of course, i gave an example earlier in the thread.

If your not happy with the new pricing, then they have to release you. You will send be maying the €35 a month until you notify them otherwise that you are switching elsewhere etc.

If you do not agree, you will not get the benefit of the new pricing of course, i gave an example earlier in the thread.
    Hey man,

What are your thoughts on those who paid a deposit? Do you think there would be a problem getting this back? Or would they try and give 'credit'?

Hey man,

What are your thoughts on those who paid a deposit? Do you think there would be a problem getting this back? Or would they try and give 'credit'?

Its there encase you default against the contract, and if you are not locking into one you should have a good chance of getting the money back not just credit. Im not certain of the rules of this, but thats how i argue it, especially if your 6 months in without a missed payment

Its there encase you default against the contract, and if you are not locking into one you should have a good chance of getting the money back not just credit. Im not certain of the rules of this, but thats how i argue it, especially if your 6 months in without a missed payment
    Yeah that's what I think too, I don't think they'd make it so easy for me though. I'm not even 6 months in, sure when did the desire come out? End of April? I'm on DD so no missed payments.

It appears the staff in Customer Care haven't been notified of this at all. I'm on the phone at the moment and the chap I'm on to came back onto me after I was on hold and said it appears I'm right and this is the first he's heard of it. He's just onto the cancellations department now.

If you give the actual link of the statement on the meteor site:
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/notifications/mob_int_pri/

I think it's the best course of action since they haven't been notified of it yet.

Ok... Just off the phone to the guy, took about 30 minutes altogether because he had to suss it out, anyway, he said that the cancellations department also hadn't heard anything of it yet but that they did know the "non mobile" package was changing, but because the link says "mobile" that I should still be able to get out of the contract because I saw it and gave them the link and the guy has the link saved to his email and his supervisor saw it too. He's back in Monday from 3.30-Midnight so I guess I'll suss it out then :)

Cheers for the heads up anyway!

I'm on a pretty good package, but it would be nice to be out of contract if possible!

cormie wrote: »
    He's back in Monday from 3.30-Midnight so I guess I'll suss it out then :)
    Great, let us know how you get on. I will be calling them back on Monday as well if I don't hear back from the guy I spoke to earlier

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've just emailed them. I'll update later

godtabh wrote: »
    I've just emailed them. I'll update later

same as...will ring them on monday too...dont see the point right now since all the ppl are not working on weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I'd be interested in getting out of my contract too, but what exactly do you say to the cs rep? The pricing is becoming better value. Is it not obvious to them that we're just using this as an excuse?

squared wrote: »
    I'd be interested in getting out of my contract too, but what exactly do you say to the cs rep? The pricing is becoming better value. Is it not obvious to them that we're just using this as an excuse?

yeah well if they gave me free calls and texts to meteor i wouldnt be complaining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ya I was just on the phone to the customer care also and they are going to call me on Monday. I will believe it when I get a call but the girl on the phone didn't know what I was going on about.
    I am in a 18 months smart 30 deal signed in May to get a Desire and love the phone and the price but would like to be able to drop out of the plan in any case just to have a little freedom. Does anyone know if this is also the case with usb mobile broadband dongle? I am in the middle of a 18 months contract for that too and even though it's great price and really fast speeds at my house i would love to be able to shop around for an alternative.
    I will let you know ASAP if I get the callback.

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is also the case with usb mobile broadband dongle? I am in the middle of a 18 months contract for that too and even though it's great price and really fast speeds at my house i would love to be able to shop around for an alternative.

Not connected ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thanks Davy. I will keep trying the phone side of things so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

Would it be too late to buy a bill pay phone now and get out of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

This is great news i actually have no plans to move meteor its just nice to have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Two of us rang meteor this morning and got two different operators. They will argue with you a bit but once you quote:

"Meteor wishes to notify its customers of Bill Pay price changes effective as of 22nd of August 2010. The current default rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB) will change to a daily pricing structure. Customers will be charged 2c per KB up to 49KB i.e. 98c. Usage will then be zero rated from 50KB to 50MB. After 50MB has been consumed, usage will be charged at out of bundle rates of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB). This pricing applies to daily usage from midnight to midnight. Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification."

they give up the battle and tell you a manager will call you tomorrow. I had to repeat it twice before they conceded. Ill update if i get out of contract tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Two of us rang meteor this morning and got two different operators. They will argue with you a bit but once you quote:

"Meteor wishes to notify its customers of Bill Pay price changes effective as of 22nd of August 2010. The current default rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB) will change to a daily pricing structure. Customers will be charged 2c per KB up to 49KB i.e. 98c. Usage will then be zero rated from 50KB to 50MB. After 50MB has been consumed, usage will be charged at out of bundle rates of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB). This pricing applies to daily usage from midnight to midnight. Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification."

they give up the battle and tell you a manager will call you tomorrow. I had to repeat it twice before they conceded. Ill update if i get out of contract tomorrow.

Same here, expecting a call Monday..........I was also promised a call back at 13:50 for 15 mins later on Friday so she could suss out the situation as they were not notified about it, do you think I got my call back??

See if the managers are any better at keeping their word on Monday?

Advertisement