Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Website - New Classifieds

Options
  • 22-07-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

It's nearly six months since we launched www.pedigreedogs.ie

Since the launch we have had nearly 25,000 visits, from nearly 11,000 visitors with over 140,000 page visits

In the next few weeks we are sitting with our web designers, in relation to improving certain areas of the site, and would welcome any suggestions that you may have re same.

Appreciate any feedback.

Best regards
    Paul Barry
    Pedigreedogs.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your sort by price doesn't work. It's treating numbers as strings, so any price starting with "3" will be after any price starting with "1".
    e.g.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with using HTML tables when you're displaying a table of data like search results.

The page doesn't have a h1 tag, just the logo. You can have both - set the background image of the H1 tag to be the logo. Put a span tag in the H1 tag, with some descriptive text for the page title. Hide the h1.span tag using CSS.

The hover image for the advice link doesn't really fit in with the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paul T Barry

Thanks for that Eoin, I will be taking a look at all things in the next few weeks...I'm passionate about this site, and all the people involved are very involved in the world of pedigree dogs in Ireland...What we are working on is trying to get this message across to people when the land on our first page..Our aim can be found in the About section, but we want this message to be very prevalent when a user lands on our site..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

eoin wrote: »
    By the way, there is nothing wrong with using HTML tables when you're displaying a table of data like search results.

+1 that's what they're for, displaying tabular data.

Perhaps some copy explaining what the site is and it's purpose on the landing page. You "advice on purchasing", twitter and blog links aren't very obvious (I actually found the blog through google after being on your site).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Evil Phil wrote: »
    +1 that's what they're for, displaying tabular data.

Perhaps some copy explaining what the site is and it's purpose on the landing page. You "advice on purchasing", twitter and blog links aren't very obvious (I actually found the blog through google after being on your site).
    Yes that's something I noticed. No text on the homepage. Some sort of indication what it is might help. Not totally obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paul T Barry

Thanks for the 2 new responses...Have that noted on my list of things to improve..Overall we are happy with things since launch, and after improving the overall look and feel, will work more on our SEO..Thanks again, Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some of my usual points:
    No snail mail contact info, important for trust in general on the web for consumer sites, but especially important in your market given the puppy farm and other issues. Showstopper for many.
    Header too big pushing content too far down the page.
    Why should someone advertise with you? Give the potential advertisers good reasons and be sure to include your prices (sell your service to them/provide key info which helps decision-making).

Could have categories of dogs: large, medium, small or something more appropriate for dogs.
    You've a nice green and blue colour scheme, but it's not used at all after the listing heading which just has washed out colours.

Minor point: I'd remove the 'pip' under the Go background graphic (searchbg.jpg) in the search and make the search and post a classified have the same vertical top and bottom padding.

Advertisement