Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best faction for a virgin SC player?

• 23-07-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    complete noob at this game. Have finally given in to the hype and will pick it up. Just wondering what the best faction is for a player who has not been in BETA, or played any of the others. The first time I will actually touch the franchise will be on the 27th.

I am thinking the terran maybe? Just from the strats I see on you tube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

What I would suggest is running through the campaigns, they are new suer friendly and will introduce to you the mechanics and units/buildings of the new races one at a time.

The first campaign will be the terrain. After finishing the campaigns try some skirmishes against the computer using the different races and just see what you enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd recommend Terran honestly; they play closest to most other games in style and the units are easy to understand for what they are used (compared to say Zerg).

They also have plenty of different options to try out and by playing the single campaign you'll get a chance to see what works or not with them for targets. Once you're getting your feet wet try out the other races though; the most feared MP set up is random since you don't know what race you're going up against :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yes definitely choose Terran - youùll be familar with them through the campaign, their mechanics are simple to understand, you can wall off your base and they are considered the strongest race at the mo (until balances changes/patch)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm guessing you guys have played the beta then? How epic is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Play at least 3 comp stomps with each race before choosing one. (It's an achievement anyway). 1 vs super easy (learn race), 1 vs easy, 1 vs medium. You can't win a game if you don't know your opponent's race anyway.

Then just pick whichever race is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is no "beginner's faction", it's not how it works. There may be one that suits your gameplay style. I haven't played much of the beta, but the terrans in SC1 were the most defensive of the 3 races. There were few ways to easily break through a heavily fortified bunker/siege tank/turret position.

Agree with the guys, play the campaign and you will get a feel for the terrans and their units. You can then experiment in skirmishes with strategies and build orders before testing yourself online.

There will be no shortage of games happening on here anyway, hopefully they won't all be rush affairs but some drawn out encounters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

There will be no shortage of games happening on here anyway, hopefully they won't all be rush affairs but some drawn out encounters too.

Drawn out can be a pain in the ass if its TvT. Infact TvT is kinda annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Drawn out can be a pain in the ass if its TvT. Infact TvT is kinda annoying

Yes, this is from my LAN games with friends. The two of them only played as terran and would often gang up against my protoss. Impossible to break through a turtling defence and a double force of wraiths.

They were suckers for hallucination though.

Advertisement