Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starcraft 2 is there monthly fees ??

Options
  • 04-07-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

As i said in title do you have to pay montly fees to play starcraft 2 ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

You can buy it with a once off payment but some countries are getting offered a pay by the month option too. Don't think the monthly fee is gonna be available in Ireland though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what does this fee actually pay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It pays for hookers and cocaine at corporate headquarters :D
    anyone whos pays monthly for a rts game is mental

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It pays for hookers and cocaine at coporate headquarters :D

EXCELLENT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

what does this fee actually pay for?

Just access to the game, I think even single player isn't unlocked if you don't keep paying but I'm not positive about that.

The monthly fee method is only available in lower income countries where people might have trouble paying for full access or something. On a side note, if you live in South Korea and have a WoW account you get to play SC2 for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Any ideas on how much this once off payment for Irish customers will be?

Funky wrote: »
    Just access to the game, I think even single player isn't unlocked if you don't keep paying but I'm not positive about that.

The monthly fee method is only available in lower income countries where people might have trouble paying for full access or something. On a side note, if you live in South Korea and have a WoW account you get to play SC2 for free!

So they expect you to pay 50 euro or whatever for the game and then pay more towards actually playing the game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So they expect you to pay 50 euro or whatever for the game and then pay more towards actually playing the game?
    No, they pay a token amount to create an account (i.e. .5 EUR) and then a hour charge on their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Far more importantly, when will the beta start again. I've been reduced to playing League of Legends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

As i said in title do you have to pay montly fees to play starcraft 2 ??

The answer is no there won't be any monthly fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Dustaz wrote: »
    Far more importantly, when will the beta start again. I've been reduced to playing League of Legends

Actually doing the same thing myself, hadn't heard of the game until after the SC2 beta went down. Not a bad game but can be pretty frustrating with leavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Posting here rather than starting a new thread:

How do the regions work in SC2?

If we buy in Ireland we have to use the Euro servers.
    -What if we try play while in the US, are we stuck with the Euro servers?
    -Is there any way to play against a US player?

Am hoping to get my copy in the post on the 27th. (Play.com)
    Am off to the US the next day early for 10 days. Don't want to wait, pre-ordered it 2 years ago. Had thought to buy a copy in the US if my pre-order doesn't arrive in time. I was planning to buy 2 copies anyway so its not as mad as if sounds.

However looks like if I do that I will be stuck on US servers. So thats not good if I want to play against my mates and/or boardsies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are also supposedly going to sell additional region codes at a lower price (but not for free) for those already having one region code to allow cross region server playing. No post to back that one up though as I only read it on another board.

Also the game will appearantly be available directly for digital download on the 27th of July from day 1; did not see a price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nody wrote: »
    Also the game will appearantly be available directly for digital download on the 27th of July from day 1; did not see a price though.

Good! I heard that were waiting a while after release to please retailers. I don't know why they'd do that when you have hear stuff like this:
    Hi Gummy,

With this being a big PC game we're hopeful the distributors here will stock it to allow us do a special order service on it. (Distributors have in general stopped carrying PC games as most if not all of the indy retailers have stopped stocking them) We've asked the question and will let you know the answer. :)

I can buy it directly from blizz rather then tramping around town for a copy. Means i can link it to my battlenet account and set it downloading before i go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You can pre-download the game now (it's over 7gb). Does anyone know if you can install and play this on multiple machines on one key?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Awesome. They will probably follow the Steam model, i.e. download it onto any machine with a steam account but you can only play on one machine at a time. I don't know if there is basic LAN support, probably not seeing how hard they have been pushing this battle.net overhaul and their experiences of making massive amounts of cash from WoW.

12 years. I can still remember the first day I played the original.

I'm no longer that excited about this game but I'm looking forward to it's release. No midnight queuing for me (famous last words).

EDIT: Pacific daylight time, so you won't be able to play it until 6pm on the 27th. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    EDIT: Pacific daylight time, so you won't be able to play it until 6pm on the 27th. No thanks.

Thats the US link, here is the EU one - EU link. It goes live for EU on 27th at 9am GMT.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Awesome......
    12 years. I can still remember the first day I played the original.

I'm no longer that excited about this game but I'm looking forward to it's release. No midnight queuing for me (famous last words).

I remember my first game too. 3 of us installe dit with spawn and started a game. I was the Protoss player,and luckily I discovered cloaked carriers quicker than the other 2 got to battlecrusiers/mass mutalisks. The crys of terror from across the cybercafe!!!

Downloading it could solve my problem of being stuck in the US for a week without a copy. 6pm Pacific = 9pm Eastern = 2am 28th Irish. Although 7GB in a hotel could take quite a while!!!

I am pretty excited about this game, Watching the Day9 commentaries has whet my appetite and the lack of any other game to keep my attention since my Total War phase ended, found it to be too long to play with a family.. (Would still play M:TW 1 if it worked on my laptop, re-format later still not working...bugger)

EDIT: Thanks for the EU download site. I like the pre-release download option. I could try activate it before I go to the states!!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Anyone know how much it'll be via digital download?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Shzm wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it'll be via digital download?

I presume it'll be the rrp of €60, but that's a guess.

Does any one know if this will work if you buy the boxed version? I presume its possible to just activate it with the product key in the boxed version. I appreciate this is a relatively obscure question but I prefer to physically own the game and this advanced install would mean I wouldn't need to wait around as long to play the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

murphm45 wrote: »

Does any one know if this will work if you buy the boxed version? I presume its possible to just activate it with the product key in the boxed version. I appreciate this is a relatively obscure question but I prefer to physically own the game and this advanced install would mean I wouldn't need to wait around as long to play the game.

I've read (from Blizzard) that the pre download only works if you buy the digital version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I got in the beta, it starts with a login screen, like WOW. you can't even play single player without logging into battlenet. so you can play your own profile on anyones machine. but there is no spawning, no offline single player, and no off line LAN play. you can play a Lan game, but again you need an internet connection and to be logged on to battlenet, to get past the login screen.

However there is an option (greyed out in beta) for an offline mode, and blizzard will likely loosen the restrictions on the game as time goes on. in the past they have released no CD patches for their other games etc.

it's a great game, loads of fun and room to do quick sneaky stuff. you need to be fast to defend, so learn by your mistakes and be ready for anything!

matchmaking engine is ok, but will be better when the game launches and they stop resetting everyones profiles every few days.

I'm most looking forward to playing the campeign, seeing the cinematics (flashback of human kerrigan's last battle with the zerg after Mensk abandons her), the story of the kaparu sector, Rainer, Zeritul, Kerrigan, the Xel Naga, En Taro Tassadar!

Hell it's about time!

anyone getting the special edition boxset?bit pricey online.

Spacedog wrote: »
    However there is an option (greyed out in beta) for an offline mode, and blizzard will likely loosen the restrictions on the game as time goes on. in the past they have released no CD patches for their other games etc.
    Since you register the game on your account no CD is a no brainer; the question is how the offline mode will work though. Do you get a "key" that is valid for X days of offline play or is it a case of logging in every time and then going offline etc. which is the real question.

Nody wrote: »
    Since you register the game on your account no CD is a no brainer; the question is how the offline mode will work though. Do you get a "key" that is valid for X days of offline play or is it a case of logging in every time and then going offline etc. which is the real question.
    Seems that you will have to register your copy online before being able to play offline at all. Dawn of War 2 was the same. You had to have a steam account and do the online registration, after that the offline game was unlocked for play. Maybe this is the way all games are going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

grizzly wrote: »
    I've read (from Blizzard) that the pre download only works if you buy the digital version.

Thanks grizzly, if you change the zone to Australia it says explicitly there that it's not compatable with a boxed version (I only spotted that after I'd posted). Still, a little odd they don't have the same message on the Europe page.
    anyone getting the special edition boxset?bit pricey online.

It's £60 of amazon, it works out at roughly €75. It's not that cheap but it's not that expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

murphm45 wrote: »

If that's right it's a bit much for a digital download.. Will just get the box off amazon for £33 or so.

grizzly wrote: »
    Bugger! That ruins my backup plan if the delivery is late and I am stuck in USA without my copy.

Had thought to pre-download and phone home to get my boxed CD key.

Advertisement