Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Tobin memorial race 18th July

• 15-07-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

The Eddie Tobin memorial race has had to find a new course around Bunclody Co.Wexford due to the poor state of the roads around Enniscorthy.Unbelievable that 6 months after the bad weather the roads are still like bomb sites around the town.
    For more info http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good fun in the A4s today. Patrick Conlon (Orwell) won it deservedly, breaking away in the first couple of minutes, getting reeled in a bit later, then attacking and staying away with another rider.

Meanwhile I was digesting my pre-race cappuccino and using Patrick's breakaway as an excuse to enjoy the scenery and do very little.

There were a fair few attacks off the bunch and some splits, but everything came back together for the uphill finish, just behind Pat+other.

I finished out of the placings in something like 10th, pleased to complete with no back issues. I almost passed out several times riding back to Bunclody, so I guess I worked enough.

Nice course, good quality roads and no issues with marshalling. The safest race I've done in ages.

Thanks Slaney CC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Lumen wrote: »
    Good fun in the A4s today. Patrick Conlon (Orwell) won it deservedly, breaking away in the first couple of minutes, getting reeled in a bit later, then attacking and staying away with another rider.

Meanwhile I was digesting my pre-race cappuccino and using Patrick's breakaway as an excuse to enjoy the scenery and do very little.

There were a fair few attacks off the bunch and some splits, but everything came back together for the uphill finish, just behind Pat+other.

I finished out of the placings in something like 10th, pleased to complete with no back issues. I almost passed out several times riding back to Bunclody, so I guess I worked enough.

Nice course, good quality roads and no issues with marshalling. The safest race I've done in ages.

Thanks Slaney CC!

+1 on this - very well organised race, great road surface and a well behaved bunch. Unfortunately my legs thought they were still in bed (long spin yesterday not such a good idea today), and apart from a couple of appearances at the front I couldn't do much more than roll around in the bunch, although I did manage to get to somewhere around 10th on the hill at the finish too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Hey Lumen, saw you today in the bunch but never got to speak to you afterwards. Today was my first open race in 17 years - I got round, but blew up on the final drag about 3 k from the finish - just coasted in a minute or 2 behind the bunch. Very happy overall - looking forward to the next race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

spyderski wrote: »
    Very happy overall - looking forward to the next race!
    Glad to hear Eddie has been so well commemorated. He was a great cycling enthisiast and friend of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Was in the a4 race also, did'nt find it too hard but rode like an idiot i must have jumped about six times and went nowhere. Agree with other posters great circuit,well marshalled,good surface and overall enjoyable and safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Is there a list of the A4 races anywhere? The CI calendar is pretty poor.

Edit: NM. Thanks to Lumen who shared an excel version in another thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66995164&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Great to hear so many positive comments on the race,thanks folks.I wonder where the course will be next year? Judging by the competitors everyone was pleased with this years course,well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 simonski

zerks wrote: »
    Great to hear so many positive comments on the race,thanks folks.I wonder where the course will be next year? Judging by the competitors everyone was pleased with this years course,well done to all involved.

I have raced as an A4 all year up and down the country and the Slaney race was the safest this year . well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Excellent course, brilliant marking (great to see 1km, 500m, 200m to go signs...haven't seen them anywhere else this year) and plenty of marshals. I would suspect they will keep this for next year & why not!

Advertisement