Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountain Plod - 18th July.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    I dont want to tempt faith, but at the moment the weather is looking fairly reasonable for Sunday morning.
    The rain looks like it may hold off, the wind shouldn't be too strong, and it should be mild... but hopefully not too warm and humid. :)
    Not too sure about that. MET.IE has Sunday morning over Leinster as 'rain, drizzle and fog'. Hope everyone knows their way around as I would'nt want to get lost in fog out on the mountains.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Not too sure about that. MET.IE has Sunday morning over Leinster as 'rain, drizzle and fog'. Hope everyone knows their way around as I would'nt want to get lost in fog out on the mountains.:D

Yeh, its either going to be damp gloomy and muggy, or cooler and clearer with sunny breaks. :D
    At least if its drizzlely and foggy, the Dublin Mountains might escape the worst, being downwind of higher ground. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't be gambling on dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

4 stars (good)
    Ive never ran a mountain run before but am tempted to do this one. Im down for 16 miles training so this would be ideal distance wise as can do a quick 3 miler before hand.

As a complete novice to mountain running, is there a chance of me going of course and getting lost?! Ive never ran that part of the world before. Or will there be enough participants to follow around so i dont have to know the route exactly (kinda like the road races I do)!? Probably sound like dumb ass questions! sorry in advance!!!

I havent registered yet but assume its ok to turn up on the day according to the IMRA quote below...
    "Pre-registration has now closed, but as we are under our limit for the race we will allow registrations on the day. Please get there before 9:00 if possible as parking will be limited, and late comers will be sent around to 3rock rovers hockey club (10min walk).

See you Sunday. Bring a rain jacket!"

4 stars (good)
    smmoore79 wrote: »
    Ive never ran a mountain run before but am tempted to do this one. Im down for 16 miles training so this would be ideal distance wise as can do a quick 3 miler before hand.

As a complete novice to mountain running, is there a chance of me going of course and getting lost?! Ive never ran that part of the world before. Or will there be enough participants to follow around so i dont have to know the route exactly (kinda like the road races I do)!? Probably sound like dumb ass questions! sorry in advance!!!

I havent registered yet but assume its ok to turn up on the day according to the IMRA quote below...
    "Pre-registration has now closed, but as we are under our limit for the race we will allow registrations on the day. Please get there before 9:00 if possible as parking will be limited, and late comers will be sent around to 3rock rovers hockey club (10min walk).

See you Sunday. Bring a rain jacket!"
    I think it'll be well signed and I'd imagine you'll be in sight of another runner all the time. Its been advertised as a run, jog or walk so I'd say they'll have it well stewarded.
    Really looking forward to this now, tomorrows 5 mile is just a 'warmup'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    I do have one question. I haven't been clcoking up many miles in the last two weeks, resting after a slight knee injury. I've never done a half anywhere near as hilly as this, and I really have no clue what my time will be. Embarassing slow, certainly, but I'd rather not be last by a margin of hours.

Is anyone walking it, which is something I'm thinking of doing? I preregistered, and I'd like to go, if only for the experience. Not being a serious runner, though, I think I may be out of my league.

4 stars (good)
    Donny5 wrote: »
    I do have one question. I haven't been clcoking up many miles in the last two weeks, resting after a slight knee injury. I've never done a half anywhere near as hilly as this, and I really have no clue what my time will be. Embarassing slow, certainly, but I'd rather not be last by a margin of hours.

Is anyone walking it, which is something I'm thinking of doing? I preregistered, and I'd like to go, if only for the experience. Not being a serious runner, though, I think I may be out of my league.
    There is a small bit about it in the 'southside people' and its been pitched as a 'family run' catering for people of all abilities so I don't think you'll be too slow. From what I gather if you want to walk you'll have company, looks like it'll be a relaxed event.

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    I think it'll be well signed and I'd imagine you'll be in sight of another runner all the time. Its been advertised as a run, jog or walk so I'd say they'll have it well stewarded.
    Really looking forward to this now, tomorrows 5 mile is just a 'warmup'.

Thanks for that, you've just convinced me to run this! Hopefully i can register on the morning of it. Was meant to do the 5 miler tomorrow aswell but would prefer rest at this stage, did the BHAA 5km race on Wed and a 10 mile run on Thur so fairly shattered now. a nice recovery run tomorrow would be better for me.

Really lookin forward to my maiden mountain run aswell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Yep. Possible to register on the day. Fill in a membership form to speed things up if you haven't run an IMRA race this year.

Walking is OK. Running is better. Plodding is what you'll end up doing :D

4 stars (good)
    Just got a message to say massey's wood is very muddy in parts after the resent rain. An old pair of runners may be a good idea:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

4 stars (good)
    Cany wait for this!! Hopefully weather wont be as bad as this morning. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow

See ye at the finish line:)

4 stars (good)
    Wow, now that was tough. The Dublin marathon is the only thing Ive done that id consider tougher!!! Was my maiden mountain run today was was all excited. Forgot my Garmain so had no idea of distances covered, when someone shouted 10km done, my heart sank!! The uphills were really killing me after the 10km mark, ocassionally id look around and admire the breathtaking views of the Wicklow gap. Kept goin and was so relieved and overjoyed to finish!

Overall, I have to say the route was class, views were amazing. Many thanks to the volunteers who kept us on track aswell and cheered us on. The fruit at the end was a nice touch :rolleyes: I can see myself penning in a few more mountain runs before the year is out..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

4 stars (good)
    Hey mods can we open the poll so we can vote on this?

Great race. Despite what Justin said beforehand the distance was fairly accurate. I made it 20.98k which considering the distance and terrain ain't too bad. Certainly more accurate than a certain 5 mile race. There wasn't as much climb as I expected.. Sporttracks says 572 metres. Still, I felt every single one of them.

Weather ended up being fine, thankfully. Good turnout too and excellent organisation, marking, marshalling etc. Well done all.

4 stars (good)
    Garmin track of today's race. Climb is under 600m.. The last 5k were fan-tastic!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40847530

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

4 stars (good)
    Enjoyed that. I'd definitely do it again next year. I think I finished in or around 1:40 which is probably better than I expected for a half marathon with those climbs.

4 stars (good)
    Im shattered, but happy. What a run!! At times it was hell, at other times it was exhilarating. Mile 7 - 6:12 pace, Mile 8 - 12:45 pace. Very well organised, the IMRA reminded me of the BHAA this morning - they know their job and they do it very well.
    Also nice to meet boardies who I rarely meet, SJ, EarlyEvening and GoHard. And KC up alone on the mountain with his camera.

4 stars (good)
    +1 to that.

Yeah, thanks KC. You'd have done well this morning... regardless of what the physio said ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    What a race. It was brutal at times but what a way to spend two hours running. The route was fantastic and the gardai, Marshalls and Dublin mountain staff and volunteers did a great job.

Delighted with my race, got in under 2 hours. My garmin was 21.1 kms.
    The downhill was awesome. The last 2km were tough, almost had to walk up the tiny incline just past the m50.

But super super race

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

4 stars (good)
    UNREAL!!!

Well it would have been if my IT band didnt start causing me agony after about 40mins. Really struggled after that, down hills were particulary sore. Someone from Boards AC passed me going up Tibraden, not sure who it was but they had a headband. Finshed round 1.50 tho so not to bad.

Great race, organisation, views etc were class. Real buzz running on the mountain

4 stars (good)
    Great race, and performed much better than I had expected, coming in at 1:33.

I usually have to haul a backpack with me whenever Im training on the mountains, so it really felt great today without one.

5:16 pace for mile 7, 5:13 for mile 11. You just cant beat those downhills! :D
    My Garmin recorded it as 13.01 miles, its interesting to see the little variations from person to person.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    almost had to walk up the tiny incline just past the m50.

But super super race

Ive never known that little bump to be so tough before, had to slow down big time. Guess my body had had enough climbing for one day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Agree with all above, a great race. I was really looking forward to the downhill part until all around me started racing for home. I'd to really try hard to maintain my position. Found the last 2 km harder than any of the previous. Really happy with my time so it was worth all the pain.

4 stars (good)
    UNREAL!!!

Well it would have been if my IT band didnt start causing me agony after about 40mins. Really struggled after that, down hills were particulary sore. Someone from Boards AC passed me going up Tibraden, not sure who it was but they had a headband. Finshed round 1.50 tho so not to bad.

Great race, organisation, views etc were class. Real buzz running on the mountain

That was earlyevening with the tell-tale headband. Nice running.

4 stars (good)
    Great race, and performed much better than I had expected, coming in at 1:33.

I usually have to haul a backpack with me whenever Im training on the mountains, so it really felt great today without one.

5:16 pace for mile 7, 5:13 for mile 11. You just cant beat those downhills! :D
    My Garmin recorded it as 13.01 miles, its interesting to see the little variations from person to person.

Great time! You probably went away from me in the early stages. Will that entice you back to the hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

4 stars (good)
    UNREAL!!!

The guy with the headband was me. I remember passing a guy with a yellow T and another maybe with a dark singlet. Were you one of them?

4 stars (good)
    Great time! You probably went away from me in the early stages. Will that entice you back to the hills?

Yes, it was my first IMRA event.
    Ive been putting races off for some time, and doing lots of training on the hills this past year or so, but I certainly feel Im ready now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done all. Some fine running today. I look forward to seeing the results.
    I have tonnes of photos from the Fairy Castle turn-off (some of them good, before the rain drowned the lens). Had to stop for a while to help a guy with a busted knee, but otherwise got lots of the runners.

Any guidance on uploading them to IMRA's site, or should I just upload them to Flicrk/Picasa?

4 stars (good)
    I have tonnes of photos from the Fairy Castle turn-off (some of them good, before the rain drowned the lens). Had to stop for a while to help a guy with a busted knee, but otherwise got lots of the runners.

Any guidance on uploading them to IMRA's site, or should I just upload them to Flicrk/Picasa?

KC - you can upload a zip file of photos for a race, once its not mega big - if so you can split the files.. Simply logon to myimra, go into photos and load away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

This was my first mountain run and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)

Thanks for uploading the pics Krusty, I assume that was you up at the WW & DMW junction?
    I wasn't far off asking for a lift down the mountain at that stage, had a complete stinker but really enjoyed the change of scenery all the same.

Was brilliantly organised as always by the IMRA!

Advertisement