Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Streaming Your Console to Justin.tv

• 12-07-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Streaming games is becoming more and more popular, and the primary place to do so seems to be Justin.tv. I do some streaming myself (not nearly as much as I used to) and have used multiple programmes and techniques to do so. I'm by no means a seasoned pro, but I've mainly used the browser broadcaster and Flash Media Encoder so far and I like to think I know my way around them. Since this forum was created, I know some people have been banking on streaming topics to be discussed so here's a guide on the popular ways of streaming to Justin.tv using your capture card.

Browser Broadcaster
    Justin.tv comes with a basic browser broadcaster built in. It's not the most advanced option, but if you're looking to do some basic streaming in your free time, without the hassle of setting up an external programme, then this should work fine. First of all, go set up your capture card and make sure you're getting a signal to both your computer and TV. Once that's set up, then go to Justin.tv and sign in.

When you're signed in, you should see a number of red buttons saying Broadcast. When you click the main one, a broadcasting window will appear, and you'll need to give JTV access to your computer's hardware. Once it has that, it'll then choose a video and audio source. If you have a webcam connected, it might choose that, but don't worry.

Click the settings icon at the bottom, and click "video setup". If you've configured everything with your card correctly, then you should see your card in the list of available devices. Choose your card, and then go and select "audio setup". Again, choose your card's audio, and click "Broadcast". That's all there is to streaming your console with the browser broadcaster.

Flash Media Encoder
    This is my broadcasting software of choice. It's made by Adobe, meaning you'll be using a programme from a respectable and trusted company and updates are constantly coming. Best of all, it's free and easy to use.

When you launch the programme, you'll be greeted with a well-laid out interface, which can look complicated at first. At the top, you'll see Preset. I recommend sticking this at Medium Bandwidth (300kbps) for your streaming. Below that, there are two tabs: Video and Audio. As you'd expect, these are to configure your ... video and audio. The first dropdown menu in the video and audio tab is the Device menu. When you install your card's drivers and such, it should appear in this menu (just like the JTV broadcaster). Choose this and we're good to go.

Next is the format. I tend to leave mine to the default H.246 as it hasn't led me wrong so far, and MP3 for the audio tab. For the frame rate, I use 59.94 but feel free to experiment with what works best for you, your channel and your bandwidth. On the audio tab, choose either Mono or Stereo, depending on which one you want to use.

Next up on the video tab is Input Size. This is dependent on your card and your console's settings. If you're using a HD capture card, 1280 x 720 always works well with me, but SD cards can choose between 720 x 486 and 720 x 576, solely dependent on your bandwidth and the quality you're after. On the audio side you'll see Sample Rate. Truth be told I've never had to change from the default 22050Hz so not too sure about this one. I would advise to leave it at default as it hasn't given me any problems.

My audio bit rate is left at 48kbs which works fairly well. The bit rate for your video is dependent, once again, on your connection and its speed. I find anything below 500kbs looks bad, so above that is what I'd advise. The higher the better, though, so go as high as you can handle. As for the output size, I guess that's up to you too. I use 960 x 540 and it works well. I'm not too clued in on this part so excuse the lack of information on the output size. Hopefully somebody can clarify this.

When everything capture card related is configured, it's time to set your broadcasting settings. Instead of trudging around looking for all of the information, go here:

http://www.justin.tv/broadcast/advanced

Then sign in. You'll then be given the option to download an XML profile for FME. Download it locally, and then go to the programme. Choose File -> Open and select the profile. Voila! All of your data will have been entered. So that's everything set up.

Click "Connect" under the Stream field, and then click the green start button down the bottom. And congrats, you're streaming to JTV using Flash Media Encoder.

They're the most popular ones I know of the Justin.tv - I can't think of any others off the top of my head other than the bigger pieces of software like Wirecast, but if you're gonna splash out on software like that, then I'm sure you've done your homework. Questions are welcome via PM and reply! Also, if you're using another programme and need help, post a reply here because I might well have used it. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nice guide Bonavox, I'm not that knowledgeable on streaming so it's nice to see what I need.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Tallon wrote: »
    Nice guide Bonavox, I'm not that knowledgeable on streaming so it's nice to see what I need.

:)

No worries, you're the recording genius here, so I'll leave you to your devices. :D

Lol, I wouldn't say that. Just geeky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

So this guide is for streaming a pc right? Has anyone tried streaming an xbox360 or ps3?

animaX wrote: »
    So this guide is for streaming a pc right? Has anyone tried streaming an xbox360 or ps3?

No it's for consoles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Tallon wrote: »
    No it's for consoles

Really? How do you capture from console, a high-end capture card?

Really? How do you capture from console, a high-end capture card?

Any capture card. Re-read the OP, it explains it pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So this guide is for streaming a pc right?

Well you can also do a similar setup for streaming your PC, but instead of a capture card, you use some sort of screen recording program, but it won't work for any full-screen games.
    Plus you'd need a helluva fast PC to be able to both play on it and stream with FME - FME really is a resource hog.

Basically it's the exact same thing, really. Here's how it works:

• If you have your capture card (for example, Dazzle) installed and configured correctly, you should be able to choose it from the Video and Audio source on both broadcasters.
    • You can configure a screen capture programme and just choose it from the menus I mentioned. Programmes like VH Screen Capture can be used to stream you to Justin.tv, all it takes is to set it up (pretty simple) and then choose it from the Audio and Video source in the broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Also curious about multiple streams and flicking between. For example - EVO 2010 had three things streamed to flick between (via a control point). Commentators (stream 1), players (stream 2), on screen action (stream 3). It was pretty seamless how they flicked between these three. Anyone have ideas of how to do that?

Also, how do you cater for large viewing numbers? We can all dream of getting the 10,000+ that EVO got but it's good to plan...

Finally, what's the best way of doing overlays? i.e. player names, rulesets, etc?
    And how do you make it look really pretty like Sky Sports do? :D

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Also curious about multiple streams and flicking between. For example - EVO 2010 had three things streamed to flick between (via a control point). Commentators (stream 1), players (stream 2), on screen action (stream 3). It was pretty seamless how they flicked between these three. Anyone have ideas of how to do that?

Also, how do you cater for large viewing numbers? We can all dream of getting the 10,000+ that EVO got but it's good to plan...

Finally, what's the best way of doing overlays? i.e. player names, rulesets, etc?
    And how do you make it look really pretty like Sky Sports do? :D

Wirecast is amazing for this type of thing. The only problem is, it's quite expensive ($449) but you get what you pay for. It's quite a big investment, but you can download a trial. The only problem is that every 20 seconds or so, the Wirecast logo pops up on the screen and a robot lady says "This is a demonstration of Wirecast," which is a bit of a turnoff for your viewers. :p

Nothing else is limited though, so I recommend you check that out first. Telestream were gracious enough to send me a review copy of the software and I can say if there's one way to rival Sky Sports' layout, it's with Wirecast. :p

I must look into that wirecast programme, it sounds like what I'm looking for.

i'm raging. No interent now for 2 weeks and my HD PVR is doing nothing :(

Advertisement